Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
Navalus Magnus

Poll: Grinding ship slots and rare books?

Poll: Grinding ship slots and rare books?  

95 members have voted

  1. 1. Poll: Grinding ship slots and rare books?

    • Because it's fun!
      6
    • Because I think I need it for being competitive in PvP and RvR, but to be honest: The grind annoys me and I'd rather do something else in the game!
      53
    • I don't grind! An occasional PvE fight is fine, but I don't mind having the best mods or all slots unlocked.
      13
    • I don't grind! I'm just PvPing and don't care about having mods and unlocked slots.
      9
    • I don't grind! That's why i quit the game!
      7
    • No option available expresses what I'm thinking about this topic, therefore I write a comment below with my opinion.
      7


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, EliteDelta said:

The xp for killing a player is much better than the xp for killing AI (finally!).

True. But it is more time efficient to rape bots. PveXP/time > pvpXP/time.

It's not a problem I want to see fixed, it's just how it is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Holm Hansen said:

Hmm.... not easy ....

 

Think so too.

Your example clarifies what you mean and might help others to express themselves.

Thus I‘ve decided to leave the poll as it is.

Everyone who agrees with the following quote can vote for the last option and instead of writing an own post give a like @Holm Hansen.

1 hour ago, Holm Hansen said:

" I like char improvements, unlocking new possibilities and achievements during the game! However, the improvements and the way to reach it, should be reconsidered."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jodgi said:

True. But it is more time efficient to rape bots. PveXP/time > pvpXP/time.

It's not a problem I want to see fixed, it's just how it is.

I agree, except for the part where PvE is efficient.

I can't even find a goodamn Speed Trim. 90% of battles are either perm mods, repairs or duplicate books.

So it appears you need to take an SoL to epic missions with a group, just to be competitive in light ship PvP.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, maturin said:

I can't even find a goodamn Speed Trim. 90% of battles are either perm mods, repairs or duplicate books.

This is everyone's lot.

48 minutes ago, maturin said:

So it appears you need to take an SoL to epic missions with a group, just to be competitive in light ship PvP.

Yup, forget about doing it light ships. You need to hit on 4th rates and above for anything useful. I'm slow, I remember being puzzled by lineships sitting sails down in green zone outside CS.

To be fair: PvP your head off and buy the needed sub-books from the drone grinders for PvP marks. Remember, the green-zone pve grinders provide the OW with tons of content and should be commended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually got a Rum Rations from light ships, but maybe the rated books are limited like that.

People don't seem to be selling the damn things either. I ask in Global and have contracts up in two places.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, maturin said:

People don't seem to be selling the damn things either

You're preaching to the choir. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PvP & the combat system is the meat and potatoes of this game. The mindless grinding to get skillbooks/perm mods and the stacking of skillbooks/perm mods is not needed. I'm sure most people would rather the ships be more important and the skill books/upgrades easy to get. Then everyone is equal and you are not hung up on grinding AI and get straight into PvP. 

More PvP > Grinding AI for upgrades

Edited by Sureshot
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why couldn't the modules and outfitting be more like POTBS, Missions unlocked a variety of general upgrades while the crafting produced more of the other modules that wern't expensive to produce bundles of 5 and they were sold all over the map and easy enough to sail and get, it created a supply chain and was easy to obtain, made for quicker turn around and getting players to the level they wanted to go out and PvP.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ronald Speirs said:

Why couldn't the modules and outfitting be more like POTBS, Missions unlocked a variety of general upgrades while the crafting produced more of the other modules that wern't expensive to produce bundles of 5 and they were sold all over the map and easy enough to sail and get, it created a supply chain and was easy to obtain, made for quicker turn around and getting players to the level they wanted to go out and PvP.

Because the devs are wedded to players who grind PvE for 3 or 4 hours a day, then spend 3 or 4 hours ganking newbs in capitals while bitching about carebears doing PvE.  They have the books, slots, ships, marks and spread the toxicity far and wide.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is easy to grind knowledge slots with PvP. I grinded the Belle Poule to 5 slots in about 4-5 play sessions and I don't even claim to be a great fighter. 

The way I see it, knowledge slots are just the icing on the cake. They are not essential to winning a battle. 

As far as knowledge books go... they are easy to buy with PvP marks from other players. 

I guess what I am trying to say here is that you don't HAVE to PvE if you would rather be PvPing. If you PvP, everything you need will come with time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Capn Rocko said:

It is easy to grind knowledge slots with PvP. I grinded the Belle Poule to 5 slots in about 4-5 play sessions and I don't even claim to be a great fighter. 

The way I see it, knowledge slots are just the icing on the cake. They are not essential to winning a battle. 

As far as knowledge books go... they are easy to buy with PvP marks from other players. 

I guess what I am trying to say here is that you don't HAVE to PvE if you would rather be PvPing. If you PvP, everything you need will come with time. 

How are knowledge slots optional with the game so ridiculously gear-based nowadays?

Or do you just run with mast and repair perm mods?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, maturin said:

How are knowledge slots optional with the game so ridiculously gear-based nowadays?

Or do you just run with mast and repair perm mods?

Yes, I run only with perm mods when grinding a new ship through PvP, then I add knowledge as I unlock slots.

Perm mods are not expensive and neither are ships. Most people build 2 ships for grinding slots anyways (1 for grinding, 1 for PvP)... if I lose a ship while PvPing then it evens out 😀

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@admin and @Ink

The preliminary sum-up of the poll provided us with the following knowledge:

- at best 14% of the participants like the grind for slots and rare books (like it is)

- round about 23% don‘t care about the grind and enjoy the game despite it

- over 60% of the participants at least don‘t like to grind for a rare chance of getting mighty upgrades (they feel they need to be competitive in PvP and RvR)

What does that tell you?

Imo it shows, that at least the mentioned grind for rare books (able to haevily influence the outcome of a fight), bears the imminent possibility of frustrating lots of players, up to the point of making them quit the game.

How do you interpret the so far outcome of the poll?

And what do you think of the suggestion of some players to get mighty books out of the lottery-grind and instead put cosmetical things like paints and flags into it as a substitution?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Navalus Magnus said:

@admin and @Ink

The preliminary sum-up of the poll provided us with the following knowledge:

- at best 14% of the participants like the grind for slots and rare books (like it is)

- round about 23% don‘t care about the grind and enjoy the game despite it

- over 60% of the participants at least don‘t like to grind for a rare chance of getting mighty upgrades (they feel they need to be competitive in PvP and RvR)

What does that tell you?

Imo it shows, that at least the mentioned grind for rare books (able to haevily influence the outcome of a fight), bears the imminent possibility of frustrating lots of players, up to the point of making them quit the game.

How do you interpret the so far outcome of the poll?

And what do you think of the suggestion of some players to get mighty books out of the lottery-grind and instead put cosmetical things like paints and flags into it as a substitution?

The poll was skewed by the questions. There is a number of people who like some former of progression/upgrade system but don't like the grind as is. 

I doubt the majority wants all ships to be cookie cutter samey with no customization and no work put into mastering it. 

 

Here's a poll for you:

1. Do you think murdering babies is wrong? 

2. Do you approve of abortion? 

Your going to get skewed results by the way you phrase the questions. 

Edited by Flinch
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flinch said:

The poll was skewed by the questions.

Never said they are perfect!

1 hour ago, Flinch said:

I doubt the majority wants all ships to be cookie cutter samey with no customization and no work put into mastering it. 

 

Never said that too!

I‘m sorry if that hasn‘t been made clear enough!

-> I also think, that the experience slots are good to have (if they unlock too fast or too slow would be the only thing to argue over).

But I think, that the „mighty books grind lottery“ is ... well ... bullshit (granted: it’s just my opinion).

And as I said I - in agreement with others - would therefore suggest to keep the lottery, but substitute the ‚mighty books‘ by cosmetical things.

And I would like to know if that wouldn‘t be more suitable to devs and a greater amount of players than the recent system.

@Flinch

- clearified a bit more?

- if yes, what’s your opinion on this?

Edited by Navalus Magnus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would prefer if all books were acquirable with marks. I don't approve of the rng to find some books.. 

Every other part of the grind is fine now that PvP nets more experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would prefer an open market where all mods and books would be visible for sale. 

Edited by H2O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Flinch said:

I would prefer if all books were acquirable with marks. I don't approve of the rng to find some books.. 

Every other part of the grind is fine now that PvP nets more experience. 

Well that almost sounds as if we‘re on the same grounds here! 😉

Edited by Navalus Magnus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mind "grinding" the ship slots through experience, it makes sense to me, though the requirements could stand being reduced somewhat, maybe (grinding out 30K XP for that fifth slot on a 1st rate is a bit bonkers, especially when server pop is low and you can't group up for bigger battles).

I do! SIGNIFICANTLY!!! mind!!!! grinding RNG for rare books. Rare MMO loot is an awful and outdated system straight outta early 2000s, and even the MMOs that "wrote the book" on it, like WoW, have mostly given up on it. Yes, there are still "rare drops" that are highly desirable, but for the most part elite-tier gear can be purchased from vendors using an alternative currency earned through running the appropriate dungeons. This preserves the effort (you still need to run "Bowels of Despair" and kill "Evil Turd Lord Boss" several times before you have enough tokens), but eliminates RNG gambling and, IMO, reduces burnout. I don't dispute the fact that some players enjoy the gambling aspect of it, but for myself, I'd rather make measurable progress towards a goal (grindy as it may be) than be the bleary-eyed guy in front of a slot machine, pulling the lever for the 1000th time and muttering to himself that he's due for a hot streak any moment now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we used to have a lot less mods that were RNG drops but there were a few....of course back then the players asked to just make all the mods craftable. Instead they decided to go in the complete opposite direction and make it more completely dumb luck driven even though nobody wanted that....

#Logic

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2018 at 12:08 PM, Ligatorswe said:

I still have not found any valuable books in PVE. And I have played 400 hours after I returned to game.

It kind of sucks. And feels depressive to know. Since generally one has no chances to board one with the book of five wings.

I will try to buy it with victory marks and money. But...

 

:-(
 

Likewise! I've done my fair share of attacking OW fleets and have seen minimal return. Maybe I just have bad luck but it doesn't seem much different than before the changes in the patch were made.

t

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×