Game-Labs Forum
Nero Akavar

Sad state of game.

I have played this game for 2 years originally starting on the PvE server at launch and moving to the PvP in a short time. After going through several server combines and constant loss of players we are now at one PvP server and a basically empty PvE server.  The game play loop has gone from moderately ok to laughable. When you have nations of "ELITE" players rolling around in the best ships with the best gear hunting down everything they can find to get their fix for destruction; feeding on players both new and returning to try the game again. Stomping players who are already down to the point there is no recovery while the elites sit on millions of gold, warehouses full of supplies and ship nigh unstoppable. You can't justify it by saying go learn how pvp when there is no way to learn against people out to destroy you as a nation on the map. (because you will learn nothing against the AI) When players are getting killed within a capitol cities harbor and no matter how far away you try to get to just level a ship to be able to use it you still are found and killed whether it is when you are by yourself trying to kill a small fleet or in a group when all of a sudden a fleet of 1st rates show up to farm you....It honestly makes me sad as a huge age of sail fan because there is nothing else out there... I hate to say it but I don't think the game is worth it anymore and will never recover. (especially where its steam review is heading)

• Like 1

I may give you some advice:

1) safe zones are there for that. If you play it smart (using battle groups with clerk in trade run, making combat missions and looking around you before attacking fleets) it is very very unlikely that even the most skilled elite PVPer will be able to get you.

2) to learn PVP you should buy from the IA ships ship like surprise and frigate, equip them with normal medum cannons and - if you want - with a basic level refit (hull, rudder and sail or reaload). Such ships, cannons and upgrades come very cheap (with a few combat missions in safe zone you pay them all). Bascially, before engaging in PVP, run the missions that allow you to rebuy and refit your PVP ship. When you have done, go out and fight other players. At the beginning you will of course sink a lot against more skilled and geared PVPers (but you can replace the ship with ease), and basically that's the way you will learn the basics of OS PVP.

Believe me when I tell you that a simple oak/crew frigate can sink an endymion or even a connie (not sure about a wasa :rolleyes:), if the captain of the frigate is good and the one of the other ship does not pay enough attention to what he does.

PS: BTW, maybe a good way to help new players to learn PVP skills would be that, when someone attacks a player of a low/mid low rank (I'd say until 6th rank, so before he gains acces to the "permitted" top tier frigates) that is not in a battle group and has no fleet, it should not be possible tagging him in a group, but the attacker shall be alone, and - then - the PVP battle closes immediately.

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

Victor I have seen you on the forums a lot and think you would defend the game no matter what, and I understand what you are trying to say. That being said too much stacks up in the game for bad moments too often. Example- US Safe port: Charleston. The port is sooo far in the harbor that the "safe zone" barely goes past the mouth of the bay and all missions are well beyond that. Lately I have seen several players tagged within the harbor and no defense because they were tagged by a player tagging an AI and getting dragged in to the battle. Not to mention by the time you cross the harbor to make it to a fort the wind has already rotated 90 degrees into your face (#realism). Additionally people defend the action of camping capitol towns because they say that is where all the players are (AKA easy to farm) It is partly easy to farm because players don't have any of the skills unlocked for most ships because any ship they are taking out is getting killed. Especially if it is a new or returning player who is new to the system. Someone posted on here not long ago about US getting farmed to extinction and everyone seemed to beat him down saying he was just whining after a bad day when here we are a week or more later and literally every day I have been on the CT harbor has been camped along with large raiding groups stalking from Rio Seco clear to Swannsborough. Yes you will probably say that is US fault for not defending its cost but then you arrive back to the problem of with what? Yes let me take out this ship not built for PvP with no slots open and no gear on it because that makes sense! I know I know if i want PvE go to PvE server...... =_= why not combine the servers and let us trade pve marks for pvp marks at a huge rate like 50 pve for 1 pvp. At least give the already small community options of things to do other than forcing gank pvp down people's throats. I mean being a long addict of a similar game *cough* EVE.... At least in that I have insurance for partial cover of my ship, and a functioning AI system that will obliterate anyone that kills me with-in the small area that is high sec. I don't even have that here. Let me replace this ship with the non-extant gold I have lying around and go do another mission to make more gold... but wait here is the same player that killed me getting someone else with a small AI fleet dragging them into battle in the harbor with no repercussions. I for one would gladly leave the capitol area and go with other players to have fun screening for a PB for someone or just going across the beautiful world that is NA for the occasional encounter of equal pvp. There is a lot about this game I love but not enough that I could ever willingly suggest it to anyone. Pretty ships in a pretty world with flawed game play.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Nero Akavar said:

Victor I have seen you on the forums a lot and think you would defend the game no matter what, and I understand what you are trying to say. That being said too much stacks up in the game for bad moments too often. Example- US Safe port: Charleston. The port is sooo far in the harbor that the "safe zone" barely goes past the mouth of the bay and all missions are well beyond that. Lately I have seen several players tagged within the harbor and no defense because they were tagged by a player tagging an AI and getting dragged in to the battle. Not to mention by the time you cross the harbor to make it to a fort the wind has already rotated 90 degrees into your face (#realism). Additionally people defend the action of camping capitol towns because they say that is where all the players are (AKA easy to farm) It is partly easy to farm because players don't have any of the skills unlocked for most ships because any ship they are taking out is getting killed. Especially if it is a new or returning player who is new to the system. Someone posted on here not long ago about US getting farmed to extinction and everyone seemed to beat him down saying he was just whining after a bad day when here we are a week or more later and literally every day I have been on the CT harbor has been camped along with large raiding groups stalking from Rio Seco clear to Swannsborough. Yes you will probably say that is US fault for not defending its cost but then you arrive back to the problem of with what? Yes let me take out this ship not built for PvP with no slots open and no gear on it because that makes sense! I know I know if i want PvE go to PvE server...... =_= why not combine the servers and let us trade pve marks for pvp marks at a huge rate like 50 pve for 1 pvp. At least give the already small community options of things to do other than forcing gank pvp down people's throats. I mean being a long addict of a similar game *cough* EVE.... At least in that I have insurance for partial cover of my ship, and a functioning AI system that will obliterate anyone that kills me with-in the small area that is high sec. I don't even have that here. Let me replace this ship with the non-extant gold I have lying around and go do another mission to make more gold... but wait here is the same player that killed me getting someone else with a small AI fleet dragging them into battle in the harbor with no repercussions. I for one would gladly leave the capitol area and go with other players to have fun screening for a PB for someone or just going across the beautiful world that is NA for the occasional encounter of equal pvp. There is a lot about this game I love but not enough that I could ever willingly suggest it to anyone. Pretty ships in a pretty world with flawed game play.

Actually I am one of the (not many) veterans here that defends in forum safe zones and all the things that make life easier for carebears (I am a veteran crafter/trader, so I perfectly understand the point of view of the so called carebears. Nontheless I learned my modest way in OS PVP just picking fights, running and also sinking quite a lot).

Maybe Charleston is a bad location itself for missions, dunno. Or maybe US clans are not working together enough. What can I say? 

Try to smell the air in another faction before leaving.

In example in Spain everybody can help in screening fleets also in a 5th rate (lately we have a lot of port battles on a daily basis). Even if we are quite a "spanish focused" faction, there is a clan that's in RvR and speaks only english in clan chat and another one that speaks german. Indeed also la habana is visited by gankers at least once a day but I'd say it's a fairly safe place (the well known anti ganking spanish posse is always ready to come out if someone shakes the hornets' nest too strong or too long).

PS: do not want to be dragged in a IA combat due to tagging nearby NPCs? Just invite in a battlegruop the clerk of combat news and let the invitation time out: you will be in your own one man battlegroup and then, if someone tags a NPC near you, you cannot be dragged in.

Edited by victor

28 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

What exactly is needed ?

A game that works as a whole, instead of beeing a patchwork of imbalanced stuff and mechanics that sometimes not even work for itself. A game that is a sandbox, not full of arfiticial restrictions. A game that is realistic and immersive, not full of artificial nonesense. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, victor said:

Actually I am one of the (not many) veterans here that defends in forum safe zones and all the things that make life easier for carebears (I am a veteran crafter/trader, so I perfectly understand the point of view of the so called carebears. Nontheless I learned my modest way in OS PVP just picking fights, running and also sinking quite a lot).

Maybe Charleston is a bad location itself for missions, dunno. Or maybe US clans are not working together enough. What can I say? 

Try to smell the air in another faction before leaving.

In example in Spain everybody can help in screening fleets also in a 5th rate (lately we have a lot of port battles on a daily basis). Even if we are quite a "spanish focused" faction, there is a clan that's in RvR and speaks only english in clan chat and another one that speaks german. Indeed also la habana is visited by gankers at least once a day but I'd say it's a fairly safe place (the well known anti ganking spanish posse is always ready to come out if someone shakes the hornets' nest too strong or too long).

I am a veteran of the game if only a lurker of the forums. I constantly come back to get that fix that i can not find anywhere else in the modern game market. Mabe you are right and it is just a US thing but to leave a team just because you are losing seems wrong to me so I will more than likely just go down with the ship. I think part of the issue is having to constantly relearn the game every time I come back to it because of drastic changes in both the meta and the mechanics. I personally don't want carebear zones as much as I want PVP focused areas for players to flock to. (I hate to use this but nostalgia forces me too) Example: PotBS: PVP is focus around the ports that have hostility. Basically creating "warzones" by making PVP voluntary with something like the smuggler flag but one for pvp there fore being able to be tagged anywhere and the zones where all can pvp but the rest of the map is a no go. Ports would no longer get flipped in a day but would be a several day long process of doing hostility the old way with a combined effort of PVP/PVE. I would even argue to make the entire county a PVP area but I honestly think it would help to centralize game play away from capitols. Just opinions on what I enjoy more though. Just feel like even with the low player count there is no escape from constant onlsaught especially when you have a busy life and only get a few hours a day to play (casual).

PotBS map.png

22 minutes ago, Fargo said:

A game that works as a whole, instead of beeing a patchwork of imbalanced stuff and mechanics that sometimes not even work for itself. A game that is a sandbox, not full of arfiticial restrictions. A game that is realistic and immersive, not full of artificial nonesense. 

Can you give exact specifics per topic ? That's a good synopsis, but that's it.

Just now, Hethwill said:

Can you give exact specifics per topic ? That's a good synopsis, but that's it.

No, i wont waste my time in this forum anymore. I pointed out these things too often already. Much should be obvious.

I still don’t understand the original complaint.  You can literally sail for almost an hour along the east coast without having to worry about getting attacked.  If you are having battles in your “safe zone”, then either YOU attacked or you jumped into a battle that someone else on your team started.  

Mid you are merely looking for “pvp-focused hotspots for players to flock to”, then all you have to do is jump in a cutter and sail ONE TIME to La Tortue or Tumbado and set up an outpost.  

Mid the US wants people to stop farming their coast, then US players need to stop giving them things to farm.  

Its really quite simple. 

Mans as a former US player who has been single-ported, it’s incredibly liberating to realize you can survive and have fun in freeports and other areas of the map.  

Grab a few friends and fly birds, fly....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nero Akavar said:

<snip>

And this is why I always work towards liberating fighting equipment for everyone, in case you wonder what drives me...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Otto Kohl said:

You have your greenzone to grind your ships, what else do you need ?

Pretty much this. If it wasn't for the carebear zones, I would agree with OP.

13 hours ago, Nero Akavar said:

you would defend the game no matter what

It's called "fanboi" and yeah NA has plenty of them...

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:29 AM, Vernon Merrill said:

I still don’t understand the original complaint.  You can literally sail for almost an hour along the east coast without having to worry about getting attacked.  If you are having battles in your “safe zone”, then either YOU attacked or you jumped into a battle that someone else on your team started.  

Mid you are merely looking for “pvp-focused hotspots for players to flock to”, then all you have to do is jump in a cutter and sail ONE TIME to La Tortue or Tumbado and set up an outpost.  

Mid the US wants people to stop farming their coast, then US players need to stop giving them things to farm.  

Its really quite simple. 

Mans as a former US player who has been single-ported, it’s incredibly liberating to realize you can survive and have fun in freeports and other areas of the map.  

Grab a few friends and fly birds, fly....

The way I see it, US players can not win. Whatever concerns are voiced on the forums are dismissed in the most contradictory and hypocritical ways.

You can not sail the east coast of the US for an hour while remaining in safe zones. Maybe you if were to "sail" in irons the whole time. You can make Rio to Cton in an hour. There are holes in US safe zone that the players who routinely hunt US capital waters are well aware of. It is not possible for a ship to leave Charleston and reach Beaufort or Georgetown without leaving the safe zone. Further, as Nero pointed out, it is quite easy to be attacked in the safe zone without reinforcements by enemies tagging nearby AI fleets or by jumping in missions. It is unreasonable to expect new and somewhat new captains to know about using the clerk to form a fake battlegroup. If they are truly supposed to be safe zones, players shouldn't need to use such a gimmick in order to stay safe.

The recommendations made by some here that new players should simply jump in a shop frigate and go PvP is equally ludicrous in the current state of the game. An unmodded 5th rate is simply bait for the Wasas and Ingermanlands that are nearly exclusively used by ow PvPers on the US coast. Getting dismasted 7 times and losing 7 ships before being able to get close enough to penetrate an enemy ship with their medium cannons will teach them 0 PvP skills and will get them no closer to ships and upgrades this game requires you to have to be competitive.

So what is it that you other nations want? Because from where I'm sat you can't make up your mind. When US captains leave Cton and go elsewhere to play the game they are ridiculed for letting their capital be overrun and when they fall back and make a concerted effort to defend their capital waters, they are called carebears for not leaving their safe zones. It is an endless cycle while more players walk out the door.

If people want more US players to go out and find PvP out of the safe zones, then the safe zones need to truly be safe for the new players and not so easily exploited.

Edited by Bristol Fashion

On 1/14/2018 at 9:46 AM, Nero Akavar said:

I am a veteran of the game if only a lurker of the forums. I constantly come back to get that fix that i can not find anywhere else in the modern game market. Mabe you are right and it is just a US thing but to leave a team just because you are losing seems wrong to me so I will more than likely just go down with the ship. I think part of the issue is having to constantly relearn the game every time I come back to it because of drastic changes in both the meta and the mechanics. I personally don't want carebear zones as much as I want PVP focused areas for players to flock to. (I hate to use this but nostalgia forces me too) Example: PotBS: PVP is focus around the ports that have hostility. Basically creating "warzones" by making PVP voluntary with something like the smuggler flag but one for pvp there fore being able to be tagged anywhere and the zones where all can pvp but the rest of the map is a no go. Ports would no longer get flipped in a day but would be a several day long process of doing hostility the old way with a combined effort of PVP/PVE. I would even argue to make the entire county a PVP area but I honestly think it would help to centralize game play away from capitols. Just opinions on what I enjoy more though. Just feel like even with the low player count there is no escape from constant onlsaught especially when you have a busy life and only get a few hours a day to play (casual).

PotBS map.png

I played NA from launch on steam till about 5 months ago when the game just became a laughable joke.

Tons of people tried to warn them what was going to happen but they didnt listen and now NA is dead.

I haven't bothered posting here in ages because its pointless but i felt the need to reply to this because of the pirates of the Burning Sea map. I JUST NOW found out potbs is back and live and has more players than NA lol . So i started playing again from scratch and forgot how good that game was and now its been updated.

I cant see NA ever surviving especially if players start going back to potbs.

On 14.01.2018 at 4:30 AM, Nero Akavar said:

I have played this game for 2 years originally starting on the PvE server at launch and moving to the PvP in a short time. After going through several server combines and constant loss of players we are now at one PvP server and a basically empty PvE server.  The game play loop has gone from moderately ok to laughable. When you have nations of "ELITE" players rolling around in the best ships with the best gear hunting down everything they can find to get their fix for destruction; feeding on players both new and returning to try the game again. Stomping players who are already down to the point there is no recovery while the elites sit on millions of gold, warehouses full of supplies and ship nigh unstoppable. You can't justify it by saying go learn how pvp when there is no way to learn against people out to destroy you as a nation on the map. (because you will learn nothing against the AI) When players are getting killed within a capitol cities harbor and no matter how far away you try to get to just level a ship to be able to use it you still are found and killed whether it is when you are by yourself trying to kill a small fleet or in a group when all of a sudden a fleet of 1st rates show up to farm you....It honestly makes me sad as a huge age of sail fan because there is nothing else out there... I hate to say it but I don't think the game is worth it anymore and will never recover. (especially where its steam review is heading)

Here are some suggestions which could help a bit:

In general, veteran players have too big advantage in this game now. I fully agree. It's not about money or ships. It's about a few mechanics that are being used by experienced players. Those should be nerfed.

This game should be more about maneuvering, working as a team (PvP) and battle tactics (RvR). Not about mods, unique upgrades, combos and overusing repairs to fight forever with a slightly less organized enemy.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Otto Kohl said:

How exactly do you want to "Nerf" veteran players advantages? Skill will always be skill.

Please read the post that I wrote, linked above.