Game-Labs Forum

Freezes

Exiffa

Hello, 

I've just downloaded the sea trails client through steam today and I'm eager to try it out. It seems I'm having a bit of a problem running the game though. Every now and then the game will freeze for a couple of seconds before returning to normal. This freezing occurs both in the 3D part of the game and in the menu.

I've timed these freezes and found that they occur every 36 seconds. That is 36 seconds from the beginning of one freeze until the beginning of another. The freezes themselves last roughly 5 seconds.

I've had a look into the logs and found that the "BaseApplicationStateManager" likes to write its information into the log every 36 seconds. Could this be the cause?

• Like 1

CPU: i7 930 @2.8ghz

GPU: Radeon HD7970 (I Think)

I've uploaded the unity_log.txt if that is of any use. It won't let me upload the .logs. I guess they must contain sensitive information.

My graphics settings make no difference to the freezing and I don't know where I can change the custom settings. The freezes are happening both in the main menu and in the game, sailing.

unity_log.txt

These symptoms are the most common effect of a bottleneck between disk-memory-processor.
In your place, I would have made sure that  motherboard chipset drivers are up to date.

For disk - if this is the SSD, check for a newer firmware is available.

Sometimes the cause is a loose SATA cable .

I've sent an f11 report.

Hmm, I'm not having any problems in any other games/sims. However, I did have a VERY similar freezing problem in an older version of Elite Dangerous. Every 2 minutes it would freeze for around 5 seconds. The problem was caused by a UPNP setting within the game that created an incompatibility with my router.

Edit: I left the game on the login screen and watched the cursor to see if it would freeze. It did. 

There were only 4 things in the .log file:

[2014-Dec-26 18:27:22.002466] Log: SetLogLevel:Debug
[2014-Dec-26 18:27:22.254480] Log: Current revision: 13431
[2014-Dec-26 18:27:22.256480] Log: Current version: Clean.Prod
[2014-Dec-26 18:27:59.629618] Log: [BaseApplicationStateManager]: MemoryUsage: 159.75 MB.
 [BaseApplicationStateManager]: Current FPS: 0.0
 [BaseApplicationStateManager]: Average FPS: 0
 [BaseApplicationStateManager]: Min FPS: N/A
 [BaseApplicationStateManager]: Max FPS: 0.00

I tried it again. This time I let it freeze 2 times before exiting:

[2014-Dec-26 18:32:18.002396] Log: SetLogLevel:Debug
[2014-Dec-26 18:32:18.253410] Log: Current revision: 13431
[2014-Dec-26 18:32:18.255411] Log: Current version: Clean.Prod
[2014-Dec-26 18:32:55.644549] Log: [BaseApplicationStateManager]: MemoryUsage: 179.86 MB.
[2014-Dec-26 18:33:30.885565] Log: [BaseApplicationStateManager]: MemoryUsage: 181.01 MB.
 [BaseApplicationStateManager]: Current FPS: 50.3
 [BaseApplicationStateManager]: Average FPS: 48.7
 [BaseApplicationStateManager]: Min FPS: 3.0
 [BaseApplicationStateManager]: Max FPS: 50.25

I wouldn't think the client lobby would require a constant connection to the server. I don't have access to the lobby since servers are currently down, but I do have connection to the log in screen. Do you get freezes at the log in screen as well? I unplugged my network cable and could still move my mouse just fine.

What is your cpu running at in task manager while in game? Do any other processes spike over NA during the freeze?

Thank you for replying.

Yes, the freezes happen during the login screen. I can't login either at the moment so I can't test it properly. From what I remember when a freeze occurs during the 3d sailing mode the CPU and GPU graphs i have on my desktop drop to almost nothing before resuming their normal levels when it comes out of the freeze. This is how I first noticed the freezes were happening at constant intervals.

All other applications function normally with no usage spikes during a freeze. Only the NA application seems affected.

I think you are right about the network. I don't think it is related any more.

Perhaps it's a problem with an installation of one of the redistributed pieces of software that are installed with the game on steam?

I do not have that in mine. Here is what I would do. I would uninstall naval action by right clicking it in library and select delete local content. Then re-download it and reinstall it. See if that makes a difference.

Now I'm starting to do my day job here :)

Well this I can tell you, it thinks it is missing a file.

System.IO.FileNotFoundException

That means that the file it is looking for doesn't exist as far as it is concerned.

D:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Naval Action/Client_Data/Mono/libc

D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\mono\mono\mini\mono.exe

I do not have these folder/files on my system either and I don't have a problem. My main drive is c though.

What happens if you delete your prefetch file for client.exe* file in c:\windows\prefetch?

What is your steam name? Does it have a weird character in it? Or what is the default language on your machine?

I found a post about a different unity engine game that said something about special characters. My steam name included a special accented character but after removing it from my alias it made no difference to the freezing and there doesn't seem to be any folders that contain a special characters in the path.

Is there a settings folder for NA somewhere that would contain my steam alias?

I've deleted the prefetch information belonging to client.exe but the freezes continue. However, I can't get the game to print a unity_log.txt anymore. Does that mean there is no longer a FileNotFoundException so there is no need for a log?

I've tried compatibility mode with all the modern operating systems with no change.

I have removed the accented character from my name again and I am now re downloading NA again. If this doesn't work then I will move the NA folder out of the ProgramFiles (x86) folder and put it in the root and see if that helps.

Thank you for helping. I hope this problem can be fixed and I can enjoy the Sea Trials soon.

I added a weird character to my steam name and didn't have any issues so that probably isn't it. Sorry, I am all out of ideas. The only other thing I would try is cleaning out temp files under these locations:

%temp%

c:\windows\temp

then if you have a few hours of not needing to use your computer, from cmd run chkdsk /f /r. Hit Y for run chkdsk on next restart. restart your computer and let chkdsk run.

maybe run ultradefrag and run an optimize (again, takes several hours).

These steps probably won't solve anything but are usually in my list of things that I do when someone complains their computer is really slow.

P.S. If you are on wireless try Naval Action wired and see if it is the same way. If you have windows 7 (not sure about windows 8), by default it takes wireless over wired. Go to network and sharing center, change adapter settings on the left, then hit the alt key. Click on advanced, then move the LAN entry above the wireless entry. If you have wireless and a wired connection gives you the same results, I am really out of ideas. The only reason why I suggest this is because the medical software the hospital I work at uses had issues with wireless not being a reliable enough connection and would have frequent lock ups whenever a packet was dropped (but it requires a constant connection to the server). At the time our wireless was not optimized but we haven't had troubles since our network guys enabled the n band on our access points.

I tried running the game from a RAMDisk image before and still had the freezing so I guess that rules out the hard drive at least?

Do you know where NA saves the graphics and settings information? I noticed it remembers the settings through a reinstall. The only thing I could find in appdata was AutoLogin.xml

Edit: Also, is there anyway to turn off the debug log for Naval Action?

I think I'm finally on to something but have no idea what to do about it.

I started using an application called "Process Monitor" so i could see what Client.exe was doing during the freeze and found something.

During the freezes a bunch of registry events occur in the process monitor aswell as some blank path events. I have no idea what I'm doing in this monitor but I'm hoping this could shed some light. Have a look at the attached screenshot. I've filtered out the registry events as a ton of them are generated when the freezes happen. 

Those operations that have a blank C drive path are happening at the exact time the freeze is happening. The ones at the top are from one freeze and the ones at the bottom are from a second freeze. Notice they are roughly 35 seconds apart. They also occur at the same time as "BaseApplicationStateManager" does in the .log file.

[2014-Dec-30 06:56:19.130733] Log: [BaseApplicationStateManager]: MemoryUsage: 159.12 MB.
[2014-Dec-30 06:56:54.514757] Log: [BaseApplicationStateManager]: MemoryUsage: 160.15 MB.
 [BaseApplicationStateManager]: Current FPS: 50.3
 [BaseApplicationStateManager]: Average FPS: 48.7
 [BaseApplicationStateManager]: Min FPS: 3.0
 [BaseApplicationStateManager]: Max FPS: 50.25

Can anyone with some knowledge about these things tell me if these things could be causes the 5 second pause?

post-1248-0-26941200-1419923078_thumb.jpg

The problem with process monitor is that there are so many tens of thousands of events going on in the background per second that someone would have to see the entire log unfiltered to figure out what is going on. Usually you start with the entire log then start filtering stuff out to try and get an idea of what is going on.

If you can save it and upload it someone *might* be able to figure it out. You are going way way deep though. don't upload a pml with 3 million events, just saying.