Game-Labs Forum
Gunnur

Safe Zones - A better way

People claiming PvP players are too lazy to find their targets outside of capitals and only go there to sealclub are actually simply too lazy to do their PvE outside of capitals. There are so many quiet spots on the map where you can do PvE in peace... new players should have some safe area and once they become more experienced they can find out where the map is busy and where it is quiet.

Fixing safe zones is pretty simple:

1. 50% gold / xp in safezones and no rare books only the very basic ones in safe zone PvE.

2. No bonus trims or slots for ships built in the zones instead of only lower chance ( including capturable ports that somehow are in the safezones @admin maybe this should be fixed either way... swedes have it for example ). Ships built inside safe zones should always be 3/5 without bonus.

3. Give new players a tiny starting tutorial map in some lake or on the west coast at some point in the future, where no advanced / veteran players can join and no PvP marks are issued ( if PvP should be allowed at all on the tutorial map ). 

There would be much less sealclubbing and players would have a place to fall back to in the safezones but the goal would always be to move out of the zones and increase profit / get better loot and ships. I still can not fathom why people should have no disadvantage in staying within their magically protected realm that is meant to protect new players.

Edited by Sovereign

16 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

People claiming PvP players are too lazy to find their targets outside of capitals and only go there to sealclub are actually simply too lazy to do their PvE outside of capitals. There are so many quiet spots on the map where you can do PvE in peace... new players should have some safe area and once they become more experienced they can find out where the map is busy and where it is quiet.

Fixing safe zones is pretty simple:

1. 50% gold / xp in safezones and no rare books only the very basic ones in safe zone PvE.

2. No bonus trims or slots for ships built in the zones instead of only lower chance ( including capturable ports that somehow are in the safezones @admin maybe this should be fixed either way... swedes have it for example ). Ships built inside safe zones should always be 3/5 without bonus.

3. Give new players a tiny starting tutorial map in some lake or on the west coast at some point in the future, where no advanced / veteran players can join and no PvP marks are issued ( if PvP should be allowed at all on the tutorial map ). 

There would be much less sealclubbing and players would have a place to fall back to in the safezones but the goal would always be to move out of the zones and increase profit / get better loot and ships. I still can not fathom why people should have no disadvantage in staying within their magically protected realm that is meant to protect new players.

Agree, but so many want to hunt there that you can get pvp by defending there to and help protect new players. More incentives are needed to go roaming.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sovereign said:

I still can not fathom why people should have no disadvantage in staying within their magically protected realm that is meant to protect new players.

As far as merchant contract activity is concerned, it is because we are effectively stuck in them.  There are large regions of the map where you cannot get buy/sell contracts filled at ANY price.

Contracts get placed where they will likely be filled.  I would cheerfully go somewhere other than the Charleston raider-fest if I could reliably sell fir elsewhere.  And I could concentrate on sailing to port, rather than hitting the optimum OW tow spot to avoid the choke point. 

I would pull up stakes and most of my operation into the Bahamas.   Possibly the whole works.  Including that expensive shipyard in Brunswick.  Players like me would disperse and some (not all) of this green zone argument would go away.

As long as we are required to visit a port to know about buy/sell contracts, economic activity is going to continue to be stove-piped inside the reinforcement zones. 

Edited by Marcus Corvus