Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
SKurj

So you want to hunt player traders...

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

 

Disagree.  If you trade in V-Terracota, LGV carries 3 to the Tbrigs 2, although both carry only 2 P-Furnitures.  You add about 100K g to your profit for each ship in your fleet for that good, and then the LGV gives you much more spare beyond Tbrig for the extra stuff.  Second, as has been discussed much on this forum, it's a worthy fighting opponent up to certain size ship attacks.  Tbrig is not.  I see big difference between those two, and almost any captain can cap an LGV so it costs nothing to acquire.

If you trade in heavy national goods you usually have long distance to cover and then the huge hauling capacity of a fleet of Indiamans for me outperforms the better speed of a fleet of LGVs. 

It's a matter of numbers: indiaman has twice the cargo but not half the speed of LGV.

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, victor said:

If you trade in heavy national goods you usually have long distance to cover and then the huge hauling capacity of a fleet of Indiamans for me outperforms the better speed of a fleet of LGVs. 

I agree with you there.  But what you said was that there's no advantage of LGV over the Tbrig.  That's wrong, there's a bigger gap than first appearances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

LGV are the most common AI trade ships I see in the game now, so they have become an easy choice for higher level captains.  Sometimes 3 of them are within sight of a port, ready to be capped. 
 

I was so excited when I got my first LGV permits and could build them, and it seems like it was that same week they did away with the permits and made LGVs capturable.  ARGH!  I still have those permits sitting in my warehouse. 

 

At least with your LGV permits you can choose your build - capping an AI LGV is up to RNG and may just get something like Oak/crew space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

I agree with you there.  But what you said was that there's no advantage of LGV over the Tbrig.  That's wrong, there's a bigger gap than first appearances.

That's wrong (and you are right) in the perspective of a trader that has no access to indiamans (which is not my perspective). Once you have access to a fleet of indiamans, you still use tbrigs (also for the shallow capability) but very seldom you will use again LGVs. 

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, victor said:

That's wrong in the perspective of a trader that has no access to indiamans (which is not my perspective). If you have access to a fleet of indiamans, you still use tbrigs (also for the shallow capability) but very seldom you will use again LGVs.

 

LGV can get into almost all shallow water ports.

And you are speaking in circles.  You cannot defend your statement about no advantage because it is wrong.  Don't argue for the sake of arguing.

Anyone who can buy or cap, and then crew, an Indiaman would do it if he is a consistent player trader, that's irrelevant to what I said.

Also, the LGV has a speed advantage over the Indiaman, when considering all aspects of those two compared.

Edited by Jean Ribault

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DeRuyter said:

At least with your LGV permits you can choose your build - capping an AI LGV is up to RNG and may just get something like Oak/crew space.

 

That's true.  I sell most of the ones I cap, they are usually oak/crew space.  But I always add a Gazelle to them whether capped and kept or crafted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

 

LGV can get into almost all shallow water ports.

And you are speaking in circles.  You cannot defend your statement about no advantage because it is wrong.  Don't argue for the sake of arguing.

Anyone who can buy or cap, and then crew, an Indiaman would do it if he is a consistent player trader, that's irrelevant to what I said.

Also, the LGV has a speed advantage over the Indiaman, when considering all aspects of those two compared.

Well, it seems that you are just arguing here. Not me.

Fact is simply that - from the day I armed my fleet of indiamans - I still use on a daily basis Tbrigs but no longer use LGVs. That's all.

Edited by victor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, victor said:

Well, it seems that you are just arguing here. Not me.

Fact is simply that - from the day I armed my fleet of indiamans - I still use on a daily basis Tbrigs but no longer use LGVs. That's all.

 

OK, I respect your choice.  Ironically I have been using 2 Tbrigs since the global merge and neither Indi's or LGV's.  The Tbrigs were free and they meet my needs for building up ship goods ATM.  Also provide a trade run profit when I feel like running it.  They all do have their purpose.  On PVE server I use all 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeRuyter said:

At least with your LGV permits you can choose your build - capping an AI LGV is up to RNG and may just get something like Oak/crew space.

The LGV permits are useless - permits aren't required to build an LGV anymore.  I do keep the permits in case they change the formula to require permits again - who knows.  As far as the AI LGV go, most of them I've capped are fir.  Some may be oak or something else, but you can always just sell those and go cap another since there are a lot of them in the Open World now and the AI don't have enough "intelligence" to avoid sitting dead in irons or try to evade attack.  ;) 

 

Edited by Barbancourt (rownd)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, victor said:

If you trade in heavy national goods you usually have long distance to cover and then the huge hauling capacity of a fleet of Indiamans for me outperforms the better speed of a fleet of LGVs. 

It's a matter of numbers: indiaman has twice the cargo but not half the speed of LGV.

It takes more resources to acquire indiaman and more crew capability (rank) to sail them.  They are also a magnet for attack.  If you're already rich and levelled, there isn't much incentive to slog through trading anymore.  ;)

I always avoided the really heavy commodities and concentrated on the shortest safest routes that made decent profit.  Over the summer the loop of Saint Joseph to Fort Royal to Roseau/Rosaly and back with Lancashire Iron and Suffolk/Cheshire Cheese was really easy money.  

And, well, the LGV is French and one of the most beautiful ships in the game.  Gotta have 'em!  :D

 

 

Edited by Barbancourt (rownd)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I'm late to the conversation, having recently moved to the PvP server.

I'm running a pair of fir T-Lynxes with the 20% hold perk.  Was initially a bit skittish coming out of the safe zones but I've been chased exactly once, and then by some big lunking fleet.  Good luck with that.  You are going to need something a bit more nimble.  Particularly since I don't move until the wind is right.  After all what kind of idiot would ever sail one of these at 180.

Going to get a third T-Lynx.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×