Game-Labs Forum

1 minute ago, VonVolks said:

Yes the whole time as much as he could. He is a good player with plenty of experience.

An Aga has more firepower and is bigger than an Endy, yet we could do nothing.

I am Really struggling to understand how the aga couldn’t sink him, he even repped sails twice giving himself 20 mins where he couldn’t repair hull?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, VonVolks said:

Yes the whole time as much as he could. He is a good player with plenty of experience.

An Aga has more firepower and is bigger than an Endy, yet we could do nothing.

Can you give us a name?

What you describe is just not possible

5 minutes ago, rediii said:

Can you give us a name?

What you describe is just not possible

Prince is not my favorite ship, i prefer niagara and for sure i know that 3 niagaras can destroy an Endymion from close range without the AGA if he lets them hug him in like 5 mins max. And Prince penetrates Endy with any gun from close range. Even 4lb penetrate ENDY from close range.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, admin said:

Prince is not my favorite ship, i prefer niagara and for sure i know that 3 niagaras can destroy an Endymion from close range without the AGA if he lets them hug him in like 5 mins max. And Prince penetrates Endy with any gun from close range. Even 4lb penetrate ENDY from close range.

fully agree

but what he describes is not possible to blame repairs for which is the setup:

1 aga + 3 neufchatels vs endy = endy win due to repairs

it is nothing else but a incompetent aga. ofcourse neufchatel can kill endy too but its more difficult so I would blame the aga(player, not the ship)

Edited by rediii

36 minutes ago, Tac said:

I am Really struggling to understand how the aga couldn’t sink him, he even repped sails twice giving himself 20 mins where he couldn’t repair hull?

From what @VonVolks has described they indeed WERE aggressive - but made a couple of tactical mistakes

usual early experience battle against a pro opponent.

•  Lets destroy sails and crew at the same time
  • Great he is at 60% sails lets shoot hull
  • oh.. he repairs sails and crew lets shoot sails and crew again
  • ok he is at 60 % sails again - lets shoot hull
  • oh he repaired sails again wtf is wrong with repairs

meanwhile he methodically shoots hull only and destroys all of them one by one (repairs not helping in this case for some reason).

The best way to fight when outnumbering the skilled opponent is to just sink and focus on the hull. If you try to demast, decrew in parallel you will just make mistakes and he will capitalize on them.

@VonVolks

apologies for the comment on aggressive attack you seem to did everything right from the aggressive attack perspective (but you should have stayed even closer). Repairs cant favor one side. You could repair too. If repairs are such OP why did not they favor your side (he had to spread damage for all 4 ships). 

In the future in such battles focus on hull.
Half structure and taking in water gives a much better debuff than sails, basically stopping a ship.
Damaged sail still give power. My consultant sailed on this ship for 3 years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS_Sedov… Wind gives power to move the ship even if you have all sails shattered to pieces.. they still move you. Nelson found that out too (french focused on rigging and british on hull and were generally more successful). Its in the game!

Lots of players can give better tips here of course due to more experience - a tip from me: Focus on sails only if you want to board. If you want to slow him down remember that every sail is individual, you actually have to shoot every sail to slow him down. If you only shoot into courses and spanker it will eventualy lead to 0 damage. you have to shoot every sail.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, admin said:

From what @VonVolks has described they indeed WERE aggressive - but made a couple of tactical mistakes

usual early experience battle against a pro opponent.
0 mins   Lets destroy sails and crew at the same time
13 mins  Great he is at 60% sails lets shoot hull
26  mins oh.. he repairs sails and crew lets shoot sails and crew again
39 mins  ok he is at 60 % sails again - lets shoot hull
52 mins oh he repaired sails again wtf is wrong with repairs

meanwhile he methodically shoots hull only and destroys all of them one by one (repairs not helping in this case for some reason).

The best way to fight when outnumbering the skilled opponent is to just sink and focus on the hull. If you try to demast, decrew in parallel you will just make mistakes and he will capitalize on them.

@VonVolks

apologies for the comment on aggressive attack you seem to did everything right (but you should have stayed closer).
Repairs cant favor both sides. You could repair too. If repairs are such OP why did not they favor your side (he had to spread damage for all 4 ships). 

Indeed my point was as soon as the aga reached side by side engagement with the endy then it should be game over for the endy.

He shouldn’t be able to escape as constant fire on sails by the other ships keeps his sails constantly on a minus and even as soon as the endy hits 100% from a repair a chain shot from rear by aga should reduce it to 80 85 again. 

Then just move in and sink by the aga which should over power the endy easily.

why go for stern at all? Why reduce crew? Just wrong use of aga as redii says imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Capt Jubal Early said:

...... CD might be 25mins but resurrecting 400 crew with it is mental. Over the course of a battle you can revive more than your ships crew. It should be scaled.

Read OP next time please :) 

I dont know which ship you sail has 1600 crew (maybe you stacked all crew mods on a L'Ocean?) but Rum repairs 25% crew and needs like 10 minutes for that. You can therefore not heal more crew than you had in the beginning. Lets say you did REALLY bad and already lost 300 crew on your L'Ocean after 15 mins, even then you can only repair crew 3 times, and that will take 60 minutes. How many rakes can you get into a L'Ocean in that timeframe? I once killed 300 crew of a Vic, being in a Cerberus with long guns. It was this battle btw.

• Like 1

I've learned since coming back that my best way of doing things is get there sails down to 80 or so % then focus Hull. That way they have to choose between Hull or sails.

Granted if they repair sails and sail away and manage to escape i take moral Victory but alot of the time it's to late and the Hull damage has slowed them down enough that they're doomed to be slow and end up dying.

So honestly Hull and Sail repairs are okay now. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This battle was afew patches ago and in the video you can see we graped his crew down but by the time we got his crew really low he could just Use rum and get alot of his crew back again.

so we were stuck in this endless loop. 

In the end i think i even said that lets get his crew and sails down low so he reloads slower and we just focus hull in which we did in the 2nd battle. Our mistake was trying to capture the Bellona in the end we learned that Focusing Hull aswell as causing damage to Crew/Sails means we'll outgun him even in princes.

I've learned from these mistakes and know how to stop this happening again but i can see how a new player or someone who does not know about this would complain about it.

Edited by Bloody Hound

1 hour ago, admin said:

On GLobal a lot of those fights we had against US or GB where pirates was out number but we sanked most of the other team.  This exactly how we did it.  While they where busy shooting our sails and trying to run away we where shooting hulls and focus fire.  Yes we would shoot mast to slow some down.  We also would shoot the sails of AI blow past them and have some one in the back sink them to put a hit on crew and such if they escaped.  Every AI you sink was less crew they had for the next fight.  Same with repairs.  If you turn it into a multi tag fight youget them to burn through the repairs.  Though the main point was the fact they would chain us down to like 60-70% sails all while most of them where being sunk.  An old joke we have was the Pray button actived our pirate hacks, while the US had to activate the escape perk by shooting chain into our hulls or the water....they would forget they been shooting nothing but chain and use it to shoot broad side to broad side.

5 hours ago, admin said:

From what i have read here in the topic you guys want to win by casually shooting sails from distance and then closing in by taking the kill. 

Shooting enemy is not enough.. you have to be aggressive

Repairs promote historical combat. our goal is to give a recreation of tactics and concepts of the age of sail too. Why many people love 74 in our game (it was the most numerous combat ship of major navies of the age of sail. They were more numerous than frigates in Mediterranean fleet and Caribbean squadron). They love it because focusing on tactics and concepts supported this 74 popularity in game you feel the same power/performance/cost benefits..

Here is the explanation of the repairs philosophy 

• multiple repairs during a single battle was a common occurence. During Glorious first of june battle several lineships veered off to repair several times. Battle of ushant had this too
  • timing and choosing what to repair is a skill
  • aggressive attack of opponent is a skill
  • agressive station keeping near enemy is a skill
  • focus fire is a skill
  • crew kills are not kills but casualties (many of which could be recovered)

Repairs are maybe not historical in their volume, but they happened during combat even during duels (constitution vs java).

the main point of repairs is to force historical action over inaction, that was extremely important in the age of sail.

• If you are passively shooting enemy from distance,
  • if you dont focus fire ,
  • if you dont close up

You will have an indecisive battle.

This is how it was in history. Majority of naval engagements ended up with enemy veering off and repairing. Thats why John de clerck admired by nelson said that only aggressive action wins fights and that finding made britain the empire. Thats why battle of ushant was indecisive (lack of aggressive action, battle of first of june was mildly better, lack of aggressive action, 

TLDR.. repairs bring MORE skill to the store. It's proven by data. More people win fights when outnumbered, especially when enemies pew pew indecisively from 1000m like admiral Keppel at the Battle of Ushant (who was actually courtmartialed for lack of aggressiveness) .

Stay aggressive and you will love repairs. 

I was a bit dis-loved of the game.

This last post looks to me as an invite to quit: the issue of eternal ships is another edge in favour of gear: if I miss super speed stats and gear I can hunt such ships lightening mine... Reducing my reps on board while 5/5 very fast Trinco can be teak/wo and overloaded and still being as fast as a fir fir medium geared 5th rate.

Saying a ship in combat can repeatly repairs hull, sail and crew back to full efficiency is realism is the most crappy statement I ever heard or read in 30 years of wargaming.

This means this issue of realism, repeatly reported in forum, will stay.

Thank you.

Edited by Licinio Chiavari
Typos
  • Like 1

Boarding occurred and they disengaged. I dont know what happened. We tried to maneuver to grape while boarding occurred, but didn't get much in before disengage. The aga had also lost a lot of crew....

58 minutes ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

Saying a ship in combat can repeatly repairs hull, sail and crew back to full efficiency is realism is the most crappy statement I ever heard or read in 30 years of wargaming.

Thank you.

I totally agree with Licinio here. I am completely in favour of some kind of repairing, but repeated repairs DURING COMBAT to 100% is twaddle.

1 hour ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

I was a bit dis-loved of the game.

This last post looks to me as an invite to quit: the issue of eternal ships is another edge in favour of gear: if I miss super speed stats and gear I can hunt such ships lightening mine... Reducing my reps on board while 5/5 very fast Trinco can be teak/wo and overloaded and still being as fast as a fir fir medium geared 5th rate.

Thank you.

First you cant repair them to full efficiency on one cycle
Second the cycle is almost a day in game time (just watch sunset) So a repair cooldown is how much time in game days? You can repair a damaged ship to full efficiency in 2-3 days in our game time.

Third you did not read my statement properly (the one you quoted)

Your 30 years of wargaming can help you understand this

• Repair mechanics exist to represent the indecisiveness of passive combat. As age of sail combat was only decisive if parties closed up into melee ranges
  • it helps remove kiting, it forces players to close up, it gives an active player a chance to overcome numbers through skill.
  • We are totally ok with repairs on CD because it helps us represent the main thing about age of sail combat: you have to be decisive, fast and agressive to win engagements (speedy vs el gamo). If you are not, you will either lose or get a draw.

Wargames before computers represented many things with dice, randomized decks of events, hexes, attack defense values. For some reason you accepted those mechanics for 30 years (as there is no dice in real combat, no randomized decks in history). But here you don't accept the need for repairs to promote another MORE important historical mechanic.

It looks to me that your 30 years of wargaming were not really focused on wargames or you totally forgot how you threw unhistorical dice in wargames, to represent historical actions. 

if repairs did not exist combat would become shallow clicker heroes bam bam sink the enemy. Numbers would matter more, skill would matter less. Trust us .. we know what we are doing. 

If repairs were overpowered such battles would be impossible, because the numerous side would just repair and repair (like some of you describe)
DNX9ogT.jpg

ps . naval action is not really a wargame, its a sandbox

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

Thank you.

This is just not true. I played a lot of battles in RVR and OW PvP and never had an issue with repairs.

The fact that both sides can use it the same way and that you still complain that your enemy repaired everything is sign for me, that you made mistakes, that you couldnt deal damage in the time window you had.

In my opinion repairs are balanced, because both sides can use it the same way, some just play it better and win in conclusion. I see no issue about the reapir amount here, i see the issue, that you didnt deal enough damage to the enemy (shot on angled hull, raked to much or shot to much sails)

Edited by Abram Svensson

I'm happy to admit that I am not a PVP expert, especially in the "new game model" having not played for ages (since wipe). I do however love PVP its my favourite thing and I used to do it a fair bit before, both 1 v 1 when possible and in PBs etc

However, someone please explain to me the sail model, and if it encourages real sailing game play. What is the point of sail damage if repeatedly knocking the guy down to 60% does nothing. What is the point of having "BATTLE SAILS" as the endy proved he didn't give a shit just sailed on full all the time relying on his reps to get him out of problems repeatedly. I repffered the old times when You had one sail rep, and you had to try and use maneuvering and battle sails to preserve your sails as much as possible. LIKE THEY DID--HENCE THE NAME BATTLE SAILS. The use the repairs when you had to to, or for tactical advantage.

I'm here to learn, but shit advice like "ooh you made mistakes" or "you weren't aggressive" doesn't help me.

Are the experts here saying.

1. The princes in the fight were pointless, as the guy wasn't trying to escape. The Aga should have won the fight alone

2. The princes with 6 pound cannons should have sailed alongside the endy at point blank and given her 6 gun broadsides. and then sunk immediately?

3. The princes should have stern raked the endy with amazing sailing and avoided every endy broadside. note 1 endy broadsie cuts a prince in half. Even though, at least one Prince was a brand new to PVP player, and the other one I didn't know. (I was trying to give my clan friend some PVP experience, and built him a Prince and told him to fight and die with no fear)

4. The princes should have stayed on the sails all the time . would masts have come down? are masts even repairable when shot off? I literally dont know the answers to these questions. All you lot seems to know everything, but remember a lot of us dont.

5. Something else entirely?

I would love to hear something useful and educational, and not abusive about our lack of skill / aggressiveness /crap agamenon captain etc...

• Like 2

On number 4, the 6 pounders will knock down the mizzen or the fore mast after a number successive rakes from the respective ends from under 50m.

You are totally right. There's plenty of knowledge that is not commonplace but requires a lot of combats.

One trick I always use in all games - record the sorties. Review them later. You will be more cool headed and see things you didn't notice.

3 hours ago, admin said:

Premise: PC a bit weird... posted while typing.

First you cant repair them to full efficiency on one cycle

An hull repair can refill even more than 30%. So doing it at 70% will completely repair hull without any consequences. Even more speaking about sails.

In a 1h30' battle you can repair like 9 time. This means 210%+ total repairs = 100%+ on both hull and sails.

Crew repair recover 25% max crew and can be done 4 times during a battle. Therefore also crew can be recovered MORE than maximum ship crew.

Anyhow you put it, a ship in NA during a combat can recover more than 100% of hull, sail and crew. Period.

Considering this "real" is pretty impossible to agree with.

Second the cycle is almost a day in game time (just watch sunset) So a repair cooldown is how much time in game days? You can repair a damaged ship to full efficiency in 2-3 days in our game time.

No: a badly damaged ship CANT BE REPAIRED TO FULL EFFICIENCY (not to speak about reviving ppl or recovering wounded) in 2 days even in a shipyard. Not to speak about at sea... not to speak about during a combat.

Third you did not read my statement properly (the one you quoted)

Your 30 years of wargaming can help you understand this

• Repair mechanics exist to represent the indecisiveness of passive combat. As age of sail combat was only decisive if parties closed up into melee ranges
  • it helps remove kiting, it forces players to close up, it gives an active player a chance to overcome numbers through skill.
  • We are totally ok with repairs on CD because it helps us represent the main thing about age of sail combat: you have to be decisive, fast and agressive to win engagements (speedy vs el gamo). If you are not, you will either lose or get a draw.

Almost any naval combat (and not only) is decisive with only full commitment... distance is only a function of technology.

That said. Repairs did not add "indecisiviness": there's no "indecisiviness" in a clearly known amount of repairs.

Secondly: in my opinion are repairs allowing and making viable the kiting. Without repairs there'll be no kiting. Simply engage or try to retreat. You kite granted your superior gear and knowing you'll recover 30ish% of your full stats every 10ish minutes.

To be honest, from a naval warfare perspective, "kiting" simply doesnt exist (aside the case of a faster longer shooting ship vs. slower and with shorter range guns = Battle of Falkland 1914 - the end of von Spee's squadron). Or you engage, sometimes not at closest range to be able to - may be - disengage if being badly hurted or you flee.

From a time wise perspective: our ship are already too manouvrable and fast (in respect of rate of fire) in front of historical relation about the time to take and how many broadside you could fire in the same time.

No sense considering a battle ingame 1h30' as lasting a day. And ANYHOW: real repair underfire was impossible... not to speak about to such extent.

Wargames before computers represented many things with dice, randomized decks of events, hexes, attack defense values. For some reason you accepted those mechanics for 30 years (as there is no dice in real combat, no randomized decks in history). But here you don't accept the need for repairs to promote another MORE important historical mechanic.

It looks to me that your 30 years of wargaming were not really focused on wargames or you totally forgot how you threw unhistorical dice in wargames, to represent historical actions. 

Von Clausewitz stated that there's not human activity so ruled by chance as war.

There's more indecisiviness in a (realistic - not like Risk) boardgame than in a PC game... because in a boardgame (more closely the position of a general) you can imagine that sending a force 3+ stronger against the enemy should (at different degrees) able to break enemy position.

As an admiral that can guess that 2 battleships should be able to beat a battleship and a cruiser (Danmark strait - Bismark)... still a luck shot (surely coupled with a building weakness of the target - the Hood) can turn completely this battle.

This indecisiviness is far removed in a PC game as the Captain usually can guess how good are his gunners... still he'll not be sure (almost, if skilled) of how well they'll hit the enemy.

Moving to NA period, a Captain duty is mainly chosing IF engage, and if possible HOW. In this game matters far more how good you (the captain??) are able to aim your guns... less how good you're getting a good position (even if, obviously gauge helps).

And in place of moving more attention (as realistic) to tactical choises some mechanics helps those able to aim (demasting "uber alles").

if repairs did not exist combat would become shallow clicker heroes bam bam sink the enemy. Numbers would matter more, skill would matter less. Trust us .. we know what we are doing. 

Aside getting a good position with a better crew and or a better ship... 1800 naval combat was a bloody clicky bam bam matter.

Again depends on what's skill: aiming? or avoiding an unfavorable position? or unfavorable battle? or finding a favorable one?

We are confusing tactical skills, strategic skills and "manual skill": in this game even the best tactician will bloody lose to a stupid one simply better geared and better at aiming. So the question is again: what's skill? or better: WHICH SKILL.

If repairs were overpowered such battles would be impossible, because the numerous side would just repair and repair (like some of you describe)
DNX9ogT.jpg

ps . naval action is not really a wargame, its a sandbox

A screenshot alone doesnt tell how we get to this end.

I saw too many battles with a bunch of ships against a few or a lone one... ended with some or total loss from the stronger side and nothing on the bottom one.

Simply because the few ones' ships were so overgeared that only super light ones (normal) could try to catch them... offering often themselves as a sacrifice to may be allow the group catch up... but the catch up could not happen because the light tagger got sunk and the lone raider is able to repair more and more times his sails keeping his speed advantage... he has mainly thanks to his super gear.

Without infinite repairs a single good raider could kill 2 medium same size ships... but in the end he'll die to the third or forth being unable to repair...

AND THIS IS A DAMN MORE REALISTIC OUTCOME OF A DAMN BATTLE 4 TO 1 IN ANY SIMULATION

PS: it's a sandbox... with the most prominent characteristic at the moment being combat. 

Edited by Licinio Chiavari
  • Like 1

Now i just had a battle with some guys in front of Port Morant and i "killed" one of them ... or was i mistaken. The guy lost all the structure on right side and the middlebar was gone to, and just then the repair timer was enebled, i got killed in the proces by his friend and sunk like a stone, but this guys boat just stayed afloat and he survived, regained his helth on all tree bars all the way to the middle and he survived.

This is frustraiting! in my opinion after a certain point there should be no return.

Edited by AxIslander
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, admin said:

On repairs our current knowledge is wrong too. 
Replacing a lower mast section was part of the lieutenant exam and could be done at sea
Replacing a sail was even easier.

The goals of repairs is not to provide realism in specific mechanic, the goal of repairs is to promote aggressive action (as if you were passive the age of sail battle ended up with draws usually) and to give a player an option to recover if enemy is passive and win the combat.

Whats probably needs tuning is crew repairs and amounts of repair bonuses.

Yet you can read ship logs where it was necessary to return to port to repair even for the victorious ship. Replacing a lower mast section with a jury rig until the ship returned to port - this is what happened after Trafalgar for example. Ships just didn't carry around spare lower mast sections.

Having said that I agree with the gameplay reasons for repairs and you don't want players having to return to port, etc. I remember a thread about having to retreat from combat to repair - which is your example in the 1st of June battle ships fell out of line to effect repairs - usually rigging repairs to splice sail control lines small spars, etc.

If you are repairing under fire your crew should be more vulnerable, in particular with rigging repairs.

What about having increased crew damage to crew that is repairing? Like when you have crew assembled for boarding.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, VonVolks said:

1. The princes in the fight were pointless, as the guy wasn't trying to escape. The Aga should have won the fight alone

2. The princes with 6 pound cannons should have sailed alongside the endy at point blank and given her 6 gun broadsides. and then sunk immediately?

3. The princes should have stern raked the endy with amazing sailing and avoided every endy broadside. note 1 endy broadsie cuts a prince in half. Even though, at least one Prince was a brand new to PVP player, and the other one I didn't know. (I was trying to give my clan friend some PVP experience, and built him a Prince and told him to fight and die with no fear)

4. The princes should have stayed on the sails all the time . would masts have come down? are masts even repairable when shot off? I literally dont know the answers to these questions. All you lot seems to know everything, but remember a lot of us dont.

5. Something else entirely?

Admin is right aggressive gameplay wins the day.

My personal view

- Chain him fast and hard. All should chain ( if aga has mastshooting skills do that with ball otherwise chain)

- Force him to rep sails - When he is repping sails the princes should be enough to counter sail rep  aga can switch to hull (not raking)

- one prince can go very close and apply pressure aka raking when the prince uses ball he even can demast the mizzen by shooting at the stern (90°) by doing so at a range between 0-200m (the prince captain should be able to use manual sail on schooners or at least have enough knowledge to avoid broadsides by the endy)

- Aga should go full broadside pounding mode if endy wants to waste a broadside on the prince even better

push push push 1 prince raking (not more to avoid ramming each other between the other princes) the other 2 princes can stay behind and shoot from distance into the stern or change with the raking one so he can repair. Aga keeps pounding and angles between broadsides

Aga can even force a boarding and play defensive  while princes grape. They even can play the chainboarding game. Aka Aga reduces endy crew when endy disengage a prince takes over.

But never stop never stopping keep pressure high. We in ROVER have 1 combat rule "Engage the enemy more closely"

1. It shows confidence - Confidence is key at lets your enemy think you know something he doesnt know

2. You act and not react - Therefore its your fight on your terms not his fight on his terms.

3. You have the broadside weight and number advantage make it count push push push give him as much different targets to shoot at and split his fire through all targets.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, VonVolks said:

They won't. They will hug the lee side of the frigate. They will stick with that wall of oak no matter what.

46 minutes ago, z4ys said:

(the prince captain should be able to use manual sail on schooners or at least have enough knowledge to avoid broadsides by the endy)

Uh...manual sailing schooners?  They need manual sailing? 

49 minutes ago, z4ys said:

But never stop never stopping keep pressure high. We in ROVER have 1 combat rule "Engage the enemy more closely"

Heh, I'd just get forced into bad wind and boarded all the time if I did that, and I doubt I could ever win boarding games. 

37 minutes ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

Uh...manual sailing schooners?  They need manual sailing? 

Heh, I'd just get forced into bad wind and boarded all the time if I did that, and I doubt I could ever win boarding games. 

- yes you can manual sail schooners. (you dont need it for pve but when you want to use a prince for pvp you should be able to do so. At least you should be able to stop a prince by turning the yard and depowering without taking sails away)

- there is a difference between going close and getting forced into bad wind. -> Always keep an eye on the wind and your speed  dont get tricked. Always keep your speed above 3.5kn  Close doesnt mean playing maxresdefault.jpg. It means a seperation between 50-200m. going closer means you cant angle. Going closer means room for errors is very small and chances to get boarded is high. If you are further away than 200m you apply no pressure.

Edited by z4ys