Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rosebud2

Sights and Sounds

I would like to have an option where I could pre-program the bell chimes and whistles for my ships. Something along the lines of, one bell when the wind is off the port bow or starboard bow (30 degrees), then two when it is directly off my bow (0 degrees) or stern (180 degrees.) In general I believe it would add a lot to the game if there was an option for the players to control the types and times of the commands on each of our ships. I would also like to hear more chatter among the crew congruent to the commands I give. Just a suggestion, that's what I'm here for.

6 hours ago, rosebud2 said:

I would like to have an option where I could pre-program the bell chimes and whistles for my ships. Something along the lines of, one bell when the wind is off the port bow or starboard bow (30 degrees), then two when it is directly off my bow (0 degrees) or stern (180 degrees.) In general I believe it would add a lot to the game if there was an option for the players to control the types and times of the commands on each of our ships. I would also like to hear more chatter among the crew congruent to the commands I give. Just a suggestion, that's what I'm here for.

A lot of work for not a lot of payoff. On top of that, it completely kills the consistency. I can tell when someone catches on fire because of the bell, that consistency is a good thing.

The ships bell traditionally was used to tell time aboard ship, it was tolled on the half hour throughout the watch, even numbers on the Hour, odd numbers on the half hour in a set cadence. It was also used as an alarm, continuous ringing,  as positional indicator in fog or collision warning, single spaced toll of the bell at spaced intervals.  It was also used to ring in the New Year 16 bells signifying the end of the last watch of the year and first watch of the New Year.

It is possible in game to simulate bell signals by using the 'J' key, even give basic fleet orders  such as turn to port/starboard or warn that you are making sternway, but a set cadence is required to avoid confusion with watch bells, also it is likely that ships may be confused as to the origin of the warning in battle, it would be easy to find yourself turning to port in response to an enemy turn signal instead of following your own fleet.  

19 hours ago, Galileus said:

A lot of work for not a lot of payoff. On top of that, it completely kills the consistency. I can tell when someone catches on fire because of the bell, that consistency is a good thing.

I feel confident that several sounds would remain consistent throughout the fleets. I am merely asking that I have control over some of the sounds my ship makes. The truth is they spent a great deal of time rendering the ships, water and land. If I zoom out all of that detailed work goes for naught, so where is the payoff there? Its about emersion and sound is a large part of that. As for the work, I'm not sure how much work it would be. If its amounts to more then a minor project then deep six it.