Game-Labs Forum

Little things you'd like to see

When afk sailing I tend to potter around doing other stuff, it would be good if I could get my crew to furiously ring the bell if I am targeted in open world so that, with volume turned up, I can hear the call to General Quarters in another room. An ON/OFF option would be nice, but for me not essential.

Any chance?

Buster (AFK DSM)

Edited by Busterbloodvessel
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Busterbloodvessel said:

When afk sailing I tend to potter around doing other stuff, it would be good if I could get my crew to furiously ring the bell if I am targeted in open world so that, with volume turned up, I can hear the call to General Quarters in another room. An ON/OFF option would be nice, but for me not essential.

Any chance?

Buster (AFK DSM)

I am currently on a two+ hour sail bringing repairs to a far off port. This is the part of the game I just don’t like. I have to watch my ship sail, boring!!!!! I know that the first and last 10 minutes of this sail is dangerous, the two hours in between is a total waste of my time and a less motivated player would quit the game after a couple of these sails.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Old Crusty said:

a less motivated player would quit the game after a couple of these sails.

especially if he chance encounters a groups that lives of robbing traders in thse "empty" trade routes, right ?

Ask Tuck and all his eco alts how many times we chance encounter him in the middle of nowhere.

OW is all about - you don't know what is beyond the horizon. May be nothing, may be your doom. Risk sailing or not at all.

Option to make NPCs in OW remarkably different than player ship, so we don't have to click on every single ship every time to find out it's just an NPC.

E.g. option to make their sails red in OW; transparent ship models; a special icon above the ship; .....

Ship Nicknames

As I play on and on and on… and build my fleet/reserves, it’s becoming clear that we can have multiple ships of the same type, so to separate them, to easily identify them, it would be good/nice if we could assign or type-in “Nicknames” for them.

Or assign a ship captain to them. If assigning captains then the game could branch out and have captain skills, but just assigning nicknames would do.

To keep mimicking history, nicknames can be completely localised.

Edited by Guest

One thing that would be kind of nice and easy to impliment would be a ships log.

So basically you capture a player vessel in PvP and is basic history of vessel. in the ships log.

So say you capture a victory:

Built in New providence by Rear Admiral Tinky Winkyon  Great Britain

Put into service under Commodore Martin Meat Great Britain   (bought/first sailed)

Fought in battle for Cartagena

Captured and requisitioned by Devil Slinky Sid Pirate Nation

etc

Just would be nice to see how a ship got to be where it is, maybe is just me though :).

Edited by Dibbler
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, BuckleUpBones said:

Ship Nicknames

As I play on and on and on… and build my fleet/reserves, it’s becoming clear that we can have multiple ships of the same type, so to separate them, to easily identify them, it would be good/nice if we could assign or type-in “Nicknames” for them.

Or assign a ship caption to them. If assigning captions then the game could branch out and have caption skills, but just assigning nicknames would do.

To keep mimicking history, nicknames can be completely localised.

I think that if ships would just randomly generate names designated from a predetermined list, this could be a good idea. It would prevent everyone from dealing with "HMS Asshole" or whatever and we would still, more or less, get our ship names. I'm happy to sit down and write lists of good names (each nation could get it's own list) (Fuck it, I'm doing this even if it doesn't end up in the game) @admin

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:55 AM, Hethwill the Harmless said:

especially if he chance encounters a groups that lives of robbing traders in thse "empty" trade routes, right ?

Ask Tuck and all his eco alts how many times we chance encounter him in the middle of nowhere.

OW is all about - you don't know what is beyond the horizon. May be nothing, may be your doom. Risk sailing or not at all.

Still, having  a lookout who gives a loud "Sail ho!" would be very nice and would not hurt the immersion crowd.

• Like 3

Just now, Oberon74 said:

Still, having  a lookout who gives a loud "Sail ho!" would be very nice and would not hurt the immersion crowd.

Someone might get hurt while running through the house, and tripping on something, coming to the PC because the BEAT TO QUARTERS !!!! started... 😎

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Galt said:

I think that if ships would just randomly generate names designated from a predetermined list, this could be a good idea. It would prevent everyone from dealing with "HMS Asshole" or whatever and we would still, more or less, get our ship names. I'm happy to sit down and write lists of good names (each nation could get it's own list) (Fuck it, I'm doing this even if it doesn't end up in the game) @admin

Developers love history, all captain names will have to be historic.

As per AI captains at the moment. 

4 minutes ago, BuckleUpBones said:

Developers love history, all captain names will have to be historic.

As per AI captains at the moment. 

I mean that's not impossible. Just associate the name with the nation via a list of names designated with that nation. It would be pretty simple to port that over to include ships whenever a new entity is created (tagging an AI ship, crafting a new one, buying a storebought, etc.) Hell, I'd even be happy to build a functioning version of it, if it means it would make it to the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Galt said:

Just associate the name with the nation via a list of names designated with that nation. It would be pretty simple to port that over to include ships whenever a new entity is created (tagging an AI ship, crafting a new one, buying a storebought, etc.) Hell, I'd even be happy to build a functioning version of it, if it means it would make it to the game.

The field (for each ship) could be narrowed to only selecting captains that did command that ship.

Edited by Guest

Monetary gratifications for sinking ships are way too high, when people can advance in game solely on that, buying new ships. If the reward would be halved or even less, we would see more traders "for producing revenue" and more traders means also more targets for the same group of people. So that would help a lot to produce more OW traffic.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

1) Supply lines are a must it stops people from sailing past a factions boarder and planting a port were there is no logical way to supply it though enemy territory.

2) Taking ports should be done in order leep frogging each town so there is no break in your lines of control./boarders. Enemy players should not be able to park ships in enemy ports except traders. 

3) Pirates should be the only ones that can take ports no matter the lines of supply as historically they were rogues and scavengers. There whole lively hood is about stealing.

4) There should be away to identify friendly allied players. To many times we are engaged by what we thought was friendly. and didn't defend our self's until it was over. Clans and nations should have a way to check mark other clans they have alliances with. on there allies so all friendly's will appear with the name friendly over there national flag to those players.

I think it's pretty SAD that here hasn't been one single post from the DEVS in this thread for at least the last 6 months so I'm pretty sure that they just dont give a crap about your suggestions and seriously doubt that they are even reading this.Just saying that maybe it's time to close the 75 pages of stuff and start a NEW thread that they might ACTUALLY look at.Just my 2 cents worth since i do have a suggestion but hate wasting my time.

6 hours ago, TonyZ2525 said:

I think it's pretty SAD that here hasn't been one single post from the DEVS in this thread for at least the last 6 months so I'm pretty sure that they just dont give a crap about your suggestions and seriously doubt that they are even reading this.Just saying that maybe it's time to close the 75 pages of stuff and start a NEW thread that they might ACTUALLY look at.Just my 2 cents worth since i do have a suggestion but hate wasting my time.

We actually implemented a lot from community feedback. 

What about this?

On 1/23/2014 at 7:56 AM, BrutishVulgarian said:

Some little touches, I'd like to see in the game.   

Really long pennants blowing in the breeze.

On 1/23/2014 at 12:27 PM, Oneironz said:

I would like to see some nice lanterns being lit when it's night time.

A rudder that actually turn!

On 1/27/2014 at 2:40 AM, masterofn0ne said:

I would like to see sails ripped off/damaged rigging

On 1/27/2014 at 10:13 PM, TheDamDog said:

-Custom gun loadouts.  I want to be able to purchase (or loot) guns individually

-Proper representation of the less famous naval powers.  Russia, Sweden, Denmark, the Ottomans and the Italians should get their due.  Lets not turn this into "Britain vs. Spain vs. France or the Dutch," which seems to happen a lot with naval games set in the age of sail.

Its just from the first page of this topic. All of these were implemented

We are currently focused on UI and localization and wont have time to read and acknowledge interesting and manageable suggestions - but we will when we finish with priorities. 

• Like 8

1 unique number per player in the battle, to make things more easy - Numbers from 1 to 50

• Next to the Player's name in the playerboard when pressing tab
  • On the Map either on the ship icon or next to it, whatever works better
  • Next to the name of the player above the ship in the battle itself

Allows for easier communication. So no more "I NEED HELP!!", but rather "17 here, Nr. 29 is showing us his weak side."

Also less misunderstandings, aka English Speakers not being able to pronounce russian / french / ... names (or vice versa) and others picking up something different, going after someone else as a result

Edited by Liq

1 minute ago, Dibbler said:

I would like it so that the clock in chat was the same as that for port battles.

A small change but the 1 hour difference is kinda annoying :D.

Time of Chat is your local time

Time of Port Battles / Server Time in general is GMT