Game-Labs Forum

Little things you'd like to see

1 ) Reduce the speed in Open World .

2 ) Make visible fleets in Open World .

3 ) Introduce nation flag on ships in Open World .

4 ) Make storms more violent .

5 ) Possibility to toggle down signal flags in Battles .

6 ) Introduce Whales .

7 ) Morning fog .

8 ) Introduce lighthouses in capitals .

Edited by CaptainSparckles
  • Like 1

Some realistic real world things that we should really be able to do in game:

1. Be able to swap ships to one of your fleet ships in OW. There could be a timer for how long this takes to accomplish, 60 seconds maybe.

2. Be able to pull up to another player in OW and trade goods with them. Again this could have a timer on it maybe.

3. The ability to dump goods and cannons overboard during battle to increase your speed. This should take a little while to complete and should not require coming to a stop to accomplish. 

4. Be able to craft certain "special trims" rather than it be at the mercy of the RNG gods. The current list of special trims is very good with plenty of variety but the the RNG is just frustrating for all players.

On 5/3/2018 at 9:05 AM, Abram Svensson said:

-unlimited/bigger dock space (i dont see the point of limiting the number of owned ships)

this was limited due to server load. You used to be able to have 5 ships in each of your eight ports ( if i am remembering correctly) so 40 in total and with the bigger player base NA use to have this was a huge amount for servers to keep track of (especially with upgrades/cannons/items in their holds) so that's why we have what we have now. Basically it's done to save NA running costs.

On 5/3/2018 at 10:28 AM, Sento de Benimaclet said:

-Mine of copper in all nation capitals. Only two ports with copper not enough.

this would just make the resource pointless and further reduce the need for people to sail away from capitals or attack ports. A few more ports that produce the in-demand resources (like copper)spread out elsewhere on the map would be better idea.

On 5/3/2018 at 9:43 PM, Cabral said:

I would like to see whalers ( whale oil was a very expensive resource in those times ).

I might be wrong but whaling was not added to the game because it gets into tricky legal waters, so to speak. Same as adding slavery to a game. Yeah it would be nice to have but with political correctness and the legal side I'm pretty sure its not going to happen. 

1 hour ago, CaptainSparckles said:

4 ) Make storms more violent .

This was in the game and they used to damage your sails but was removed/toned down as players didn't like it.

53 minutes ago, PaladinFX said:

1. Be able to swap ships to one of your fleet ships in OW. There could be a timer for how long this takes to accomplish, 60 seconds maybe.

This is meant to be possible when the new UI is implemented.... supposedly anyway.

I'm just a regular player so while i think i'm right about what i've written above I may be totally wrong.  :P

• 2 weeks later...

Strong ocean waves in OW and battles.

Open and closing functional cannon hatches through a button, self-explanatory.

Be able to become a privateer as a Neutral or Pirate player, receiving the letter of marque from the nation of choice (you won't fly the flag of the nation, but privateer will show when someone clicks on your ship before battle ([Clan][rank] Privateer [name of the player]).

Pirates should be able to desguise themselves with a national flag of any nation. To get the flag, you simply need to defeat a ship of said nation and upon inspecting the ship, the flag would be presented as an item in the inventory of the sunk ship.

Be able to customize ship colors and sails, avoid colorful ones, stick to wood, dark wood, light wood, white, blue, red, yellow, brown and other colors that was used on ships.

Helms that actually turn and you can actually see someone sailing the ship (doesn't have to be a character, just a npc like the ones reloading the canons).

Different choices of spyglass, new players would get a much more poor spyglass with limited visualization of what's in front of him, spyglass quality should be sold in ports, the ones we have right now zooms too much and spyglasses in that era wasn't that much effective as it is in this game, breaks immersion.

The possibility of surrender in a battle without firing a gun. NPCs with lower ship rates should give up more often against ships of higher rates, be able to see a NPC or player hoisting a white flag of surrender would be f** amazing.

NPCs should be more afraid of piracy in this era, as we all know how history is. Merchant ships wouldn't battle against someone they fear, kinda like a reputation system, where the more you battle NPCs or players, the more fearsome you will become (this would help out PVE servers A LOT!). In case of nation players, if you belong to a nation, it wouldn' be recommended to fight merchant ships, as it would give you a bad reputation, as they weren't outlaws, but if your nation is at war against another, that one nation NPCs would be vunerable.

If you're an officer and you do battle merchant ships from other nations, you would get negative reputation, being exiled from the nation you are currently in and become a pirate, changing your original nation to the pirate nation instantly after a couple of warnings. Getting caught battling merchant ships, traders or other nation ships, you can go to prison or even hang.

Edited by Corsário Português
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have only one ship in a port. I’d like to tow it to another port. I should not have to “buy” a basic cutter so that I can tow the desired ship then destroy the basic cutters guns and “sell” it back for zero. There’s a bunch of useless steps there. 

Edited by Farrago
  • Like 2

Loving the game so far, due to its sophistication and many strong points.
The things that would improve the feel of the game greatly for me would be:

1] ship's wake looking as realistic as in 'The Pirate: Caribbean Hunt'

2] flags flying as realistically as the ones in 'The Pirate: Caribbean Hunt'

3] scrapping of the 'raindrops on window-pane' effect when it's raining. (I don't want to be separated from the action by a mysterious sheet of glass.)

4] some atmospheric theme music alternatives (appropriate to the era) to choose from.

5] deck view crew members as realistic and tasteful as those seen in 'Tempest: Pirate Action RPG'

6] FPS boarding action like that seen in 'Tempest: Pirate Action RPG'

7] occasional floating barrels of booty that can be salvaged

8] the option to choose the colour scheme of our ships. ('The Pirate: Caribbean Hunt' has an excellent ship painting applet.)

Edited by Aldeveron
more points occurred to me
  • Like 1

A larger variety of ships as combat order-encounters, according to the selected difficulty.

The lower ones pit you against rookie-versions of some ships, while from rank 5 onward, the difficulty-spike seems to be huge with throwing Surprises at you on the easier combat order.

Followed up by Constitutions on rank 4 and St. Pavels (Itself a rank 2) on rank 3.

Would be also nice if you could choose to participate in equal duels, instead of being subject to RNG regarding ship-composition.

In the age of sail, Honor, personal and national, was an extremely huge thing. 

The Captain of a ship of war that attacked and defeated a ship that they clearly outmatched  was not looked upon favorably by anyone including captains and politicians of their own country. Same went for the commander of a squadron of ships that attacked a much smaller squadron.

PvP rewards should reflect this even to the point of taking away PvP rewards for attacking enemy ship while grossly out numbering them. If 5 British Frigates chased down a single French Frigate, the Captain ( or Admiral ) of the British Squadron would choose a single ship to fight the French. That was honorable. The Captain of a Frigate constantly hunting Brigs would be looked down upon.

Captains PvP rewards should reflect their honor. A Captain with a high honor rating would get better rewards ( this is very realistic if you look at prestige and job offers Captains got at home because of reflecting well upon the Nation ) and Captains that have a low honor rating would get less. And finally a Captain with a negative honor rating would lose things from their Captains chest and face the possibility of being ejected from the County.

old Crusty

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Old Crusty said:

The Captain of a ship of war that attacked and defeated a ship that they clearly outmatched  was not looked upon favorably by anyone including captains and politicians of their own country. Same went for the commander of a squadron of ships that attacked a much smaller squadron.

PvP rewards should reflect this even to the point of taking away PvP rewards for attacking enemy ship while grossly out numbering them. If 5 British Frigates chased down a single French Frigate, the Captain ( or Admiral ) of the British Squadron would choose a single ship to fight the French. That was honorable. The Captain of a Frigate constantly hunting Brigs would be looked down upon.

Captains PvP rewards should reflect their honor. A Captain with a high honor rating would get better rewards ( this is very realistic if you look at prestige and job offers Captains got at home because of reflecting well upon the Nation ) and Captains that have a low honor rating would get less. And finally a Captain with a negative honor rating would lose things from their Captains chest and face the possibility of being ejected from the County.

old Crusty

That's simply not true.  Are you reading romance novels?  In wartime, all is (and was) fair.  Outnumbering your enemy was a desirable goal and warships attacking trade was highly rewarded.  Certainly more honour was gained in winning against odds, but the job was to defeat the enemy, not joust for a lady's handkerchief.

Edited by Oberon74
  • Like 1

Hethwill just posted a link to Diderot & d'Alembert's encyclopedia and I found this nice little image of a Dutch fishing boat called 'Caque' (in French):

plate_24_8_18.jpg.108b2735d45890eb211ea9229a3f02d4.jpg

I would love to have something like this included in NA, it would have no cannons and be very slow but raises the possibility for fishing drops (including of course Sealed Bottle) by 30% or so.

Edited by Jean de la Rochelle
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jean de la Rochelle said:

Hethwill just posted a link to Diderot & d'Alembert's encyclopedia and I found this nice little image of a Dutsch fishing boat called 'Caque' (in French):

plate_24_8_18.jpg.108b2735d45890eb211ea9229a3f02d4.jpg

I would love to have something like this included in NA, it would have no cannons and be very slow but raises the possibility for fishing drops (including of course Sealed Bottle) by 30% or so.

I would love a dedicated fishing boat.

39 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

That's simply not true.  Are you reading romance novels?  In wartime, all is (and was) fair.  Outnumbering your enemy was a desirable goal and warships attacking trade was highly rewarded.  Certainly more honour was gained in winning against odds, but the job was to defeat the enemy, not joust for a lady's handkerchief.

You really should know something about Warfare in this era before you say these things. Protecting your honor and that of your Nation was just as important as winning. This attitude started to slowly change after Napoleon.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Old Crusty said:

You really should know something about Warfare in this era before you say these things. Protecting your honor and that of your Nation was just as important as winning. This attitude started to slowly change after Napoleon.

From Carl von Clausewitz...."The first and most important rule to observe...is to use our entire forces with the utmost energy.  The second is to concentrate our power as much as possible against that section where the chief blows are to be delivered and to incur disadvantages elsewhere, so that our chances of success may increase at the decisive point.  The third rule is to never waste time.  Finally, the fourth rule is to follow up our successes with the utmost energy.  Only pursuit of the beaten enemy gives the fruits of victory". 

1 hour ago, Old Crusty said:

PvP rewards should reflect this even to the point of taking away PvP rewards for attacking enemy ship while grossly out numbering them. If 5 British Frigates chased down a single French Frigate, the Captain ( or Admiral ) of the British Squadron would choose a single ship to fight the French. 

I’m not saying this isn’t true. I don’t know. But do you have some specific examples of what you are describing (or examples of Captains being ridiculed for attacking a weaker target)?

I’ve seen unrated vessels on the prize rolls of famous captains and ships. Hell, here’s the future Lord Nelson himself in command of a 28 gun frigate in a story that sounds a lot like Naval Action the game “on a cruise to hunt American privateers. Nelson was generally unsuccessful; he succeeded only in retaking several captured British merchant ships and capturing a number of small fishing boats and assorted craft” (Wikipedia quoting another source.)

1 hour ago, Farrago said:

I’m not saying this isn’t true. I don’t know. But do you have some specific examples of what you are describing (or examples of Captains being ridiculed for attacking a weaker target)?

I’ve seen unrated vessels on the prize rolls of famous captains and ships. Hell, here’s the future Lord Nelson himself in command of a 28 gun frigate in a story that sounds a lot like Naval Action the game “on a cruise to hunt American privateers. Nelson was generally unsuccessful; he succeeded only in retaking several captured British merchant ships and capturing a number of small fishing boats and assorted craft” (Wikipedia quoting another source.)

Capturing of trader vessels was not dishonorable as long as you soared the life of the crew. It was considered part of war. I am referring to conduct of fairness in battle that has been around for centuries in a lot of cultures. Start here. I learned most of what I know from text books in school and reading history books. Unfortunately I am not as familiar with internet use as younger people. Here is a place to start.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chivalry

10 hours ago, Old Crusty said:

Capturing of trader vessels was not dishonorable as long as you soared the life of the crew. It was considered part of war. I am referring to conduct of fairness in battle that has been around for centuries in a lot of cultures. Start here. I learned most of what I know from text books in school and reading history books. Unfortunately I am not as familiar with internet use as younger people. Here is a place to start.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chivalry

Lol. I may be older than you. I certainly learned most of what I know about history before the Internet. I have tried to keep up with the times so that I can use some modern reference tools.

Thank you for the link to the Wikipedia article on Chivalry. I’m familiar with the concept and practice.

Sooooo... you don’t have any examples of sea captains being ridiculed/dishonored for using overwhelming force or for using a larger ship to defeat a smaller?

Perhaps these actions are not now and never were dishonorable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...