Game-Labs Forum

Increase Docking Range for Ports.

There is alot of Ports that are very hard to Dock at. As the Hitboxes for the Shallows and Coastlines are very Big and the Port Sits rather far inside.

This results in a very annoying back and forth to somehow find the Part in the Docking Range that is available from Deep Water.

Increasing the Docking Range by about 50% would Fix that Problem very Easily. Making the Game much more Comfortable to Play on Open World.

• Like 1

Docking range is fine as it is I think. Otherwise we would have more ports where you can dock from the back side or from weird angles or directions.

If there are specific ports where sailing to the docks is particularly cumbersome you should mention those ports in the topic that devs have created for feedback on this. Many ports have been made more accessible in the past at the request of players. 

Though docking range is fine as it is in my opinion, I'm not sure we need all the shallows near port entrances really. Especially in shallow bays they are annoying and may force you to spend five minutes sailing just 500 meter into the bay to dock uo. With bad wind you have no possibility to tack yet need to manoeuver siggsagging through shallows to get through the bay and dock up. Just widen the bays and remove a lot of the shallows in OW. Near ports at least.

Docking to Ports from Sides or Rear can be Fixed easily by just making the Docking Range a Forward Shape rather than a Radius.

So I dont think thats a real Problem.

And well Mate. I dont mind doing this for every Single Port alone.

But I think it would be Far Easier to Just Increase Docking Range for all Ports to get rid of the Problem in one fell and easy swoop.

• Like 1

Wait are you talking about trying to dock into shallow water ports with a deep water ship in the few that allow this?  They shouldn't be easy to get int.  Some ports honestly where hard to navigate in.  And remember you have forts around you to protect you if you get tagged around a friendly port like this.

I actually wish there was one more limitation.  You can't leave a SOL ship in aport unless it's a DEEP DEEP harbor.  Have three types of ports:  Shallow, Normal and Deep.   Shallows only light ships can stay docked in them.  While some ships might be able to get into those ports, you can't just leave the ship there.   Normal is limted up to 4th rates and the same for the Deep water anything can dock and stay in that port.  This will limit folks from having SOL's all over the place.  Also make free towns Normal ports so that you can't keep your SOL in them.  Why would a neutral nation want the war ships of other nations in there port?  

• Like 4

This has been tested a lot and there's been many an individual fix, all successful.  The docks are nicely balanced IMO, I see no need for any adjustments.  This has been fine for over a year now.  The ports that STS speaks of where larger ships take time to weave into shallow water ports (LGV, for example) are also a perfect balance between difficulty and ability to make it work.

OP, if you have 1 or 2 individual ports where you are having an issue, you should list those individual ports, since it's easy enough for us to test it.

Edited by Jean Ribault

2 hours ago, Hethwill said:

@Sir Texas Sir Both under command or in fleet.

You can enter them like if a ship resupply, but you can't leave them and telport to other ports with them still in port is what I'm saying.  This will keep most ports full of frigates and below and keep the SOL to capitals.   Fleets would be effective as you can have to take it out of your fleet to telport to another port.

2 hours ago, Jean Ribault said:

This has been tested a lot and there's been many an individual fix, all successful.  The docks are nicely balanced IMO, I see no need for any adjustments.  This has been fine for over a year now.  The ports that STS speaks of where larger ships take time to weave into shallow water ports (LGV, for example) are also a perfect balance between difficulty and ability to make it work.

OP, if you have 1 or 2 individual ports where you are having an issue, you should list those individual ports, since it's easy enough for us to test it.

Yah he links a very old post and that is why I assume he's talking about trying to get into certain ports.  Those ports where never meant to be fast ports for big ships to get in and out of.  I kinda would love to see a few more ports like that. I mean Nassau was a major trade hub, but I understand for balance only shallow ships can get into it.

Than again I still hoping for shallows in actual battles.  So maybe you have one area of a map that can only have frigates or shallow ships go to an objective in them but the rest of the battle can be in open water.  Allow to have two different areas where some one could bring one big main fleet or they can split there fleet and bring a smaller fleet to take control of a side objective.  Though this would be best as another topic.

9 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Wait are you talking about trying to dock into shallow water ports with a deep water ship in the few that allow this?  They shouldn't be easy to get int.  Some ports honestly where hard to navigate in.  And remember you have forts around you to protect you if you get tagged around a friendly port like this.

I actually wish there was one more limitation.  You can't leave a SOL ship in aport unless it's a DEEP DEEP harbor.  Have three types of ports:  Shallow, Normal and Deep.   Shallows only light ships can stay docked in them.  While some ships might be able to get into those ports, you can't just leave the ship there.   Normal is limted up to 4th rates and the same for the Deep water anything can dock and stay in that port.  This will limit folks from having SOL's all over the place.  Also make free towns Normal ports so that you can't keep your SOL in them.  Why would a neutral nation want the war ships of other nations in there port?  

Lol No.

I am Talking about Deep Water Ports that are further in or due to Hitboxes of the Shallow Water are Annoying to Reach.

One Example.

Monte Cristi

Its a Deep Water Port. And its actually fairly Open to the Front.

But thanks to the Shallow Water Patches its a Pain in the Rear to get into it.

I am not Talking about Docking into Ports that your not Supposed to Dock into.

And Pls dont come me with the "Challenge" Argument.

The only reason its such a Pain is because Our Ship is basicly an 100m high Mountain that Spans a Distance of like 2km or more on the World Map.

In Reality you could Run 20 Ships Side by Side through most of these Patches without any Trouble....

On 31/12/2017 at 10:48 AM, Sunleader said:

There is alot of Ports that are very hard to Dock at. As the Hitboxes for the Shallows and Coastlines are very Big and the Port Sits rather far inside.

This results in a very annoying back and forth to somehow find the Part in the Docking Range that is available from Deep Water.

Increasing the Docking Range by about 50% would Fix that Problem very Easily. Making the Game much more Comfortable to Play on Open World.

Please reports those ports in this topic.

The range has already been increased in the past and is now quite well balanced. But the entrances can be fixed individually.