Game-Labs Forum

On 29/12/2017 at 4:50 PM, staun said:

I do hope the ambition is a bit higher than that. If not just *reset all patches and it is as beautiful as it was.

I do think you want, why els develop on it. And I do hope one of the ambitions is to make a game, that ppl would like to be part of.

My friend and I love it each time it gets more realistic.

We both started playing again post patch, and both love the roll, both love the fact that sailing is more important, both love the fact that battle sails are a good move now, and both love the fact that you really have to plan out where you are going to go, and that you now move slower than ever!

Keep it up devs and Happy New Year!

I dont know why I keep feeling the compulsion to comment about this as the devs have already expressed their objective and considering alot of people here seem to agree with them at least until its implemented and feels broken. But perhaps its because I had high hopes for this game and that it, at this time, offers something other games dont, like large fleet battles and an OW contest. However when I take into consideration all the realism facts that could exist like tides and stealing wind, the game would become simply too annoying, especially stealing wind like this game needs any more reason to be a boarding game with what feels like an already existing OP de-masting system.

To me a good game is a balanced game, one that exists between realism and the arcade. To quote a dev earlier in this post "to try to please everybody you end up pleasing nobody, just proves that they dont understand that certain criteria of making a good game as it often falls somewhere in the middle, that line of acceptance of extreme and minimal tolerances to attract both types of players. There's no denying there are skillful players and noob's, so when it comes to a game that only appeals to the nautical percentage of the gaming population, when you make it to hard or annoying that it drives away the noobs well all of a sudden those large fleet battles become hard to fill due to falling interest and that then reflects in the veterans interest in the game. 

Personally I feel I should have left at the merger as perhaps a lot of global players should as the two time zones clearly dont relate, or express the skill of certain global clans that existed now they just idle away wishing they had the numbers they once had to even contemplate a port battle. I no longer play this game due to things like the leeside dynamics, it was the the last straw for me as I can see a game that most likely going to suffer the fate I have laid out above.

I like the new sailing mechanic despite the frustration or time looting now involves - it does add depth.

What is most frustrating is the rapid wind movement during instances which at low speeds, especially close hauled, can counteract the adjustments we now have to make for leaway.

Moving forward:

1. Some tweaking of the impact of leaway at varying speeds and some improvement to the graphics to better reflect the impact on waves/wake would be nice.

2. Increase time a wreck is available to loot or allow looting of some items - books for example for longer - can't fish the cannons but can get some flotsome. Stuff like copper bottoms should be craftable again and refit based anyway.

3. Tweak the rapidity of wind change in instances so it moves a little slower and the variance in direction is less extreme most of the time with the odds of large swings in direction reduced, but still possible. 

4.An anchor option and possibly option to deploy boats - reducing crew for guns etc - a floating battery static defence needs an anchor.

5.An option to throw cargo and cannons overboard if beached on shallows!

Enjoy

ps A way of fixing rudder between neutral and full would be really good as well!

Edited by Rouleur
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rouleur said:

I like the new sailing mechanic despite the frustration or time looting now involves - it does add depth.

What is most frustrating is the rapid wind movement during instances which at low speeds, especially close hauled, can counteract the adjustments we now have to make for leaway.

Moving forward:

1. Some tweaking of the impact of leaway at varying speeds and some improvement to the graphics to better reflect the impact on waves/wake would be nice.

2. Increase time a wreck is available to loot or allow looting of some items - books for example for longer - can't fish the cannons but can get some flotsome. Stuff like copper bottoms should be craftable again and refit based anyway.

3. Tweak the rapidity of wind change in instances so it moves a little slower and the variance in direction is less extreme most of the time with the odds of large swings in direction reduced, but still possible. 

4.An anchor option and possibly option to deploy boats - reducing crew for guns etc - a floating battery static defence needs an anchor.

5.An option to throw cargo and cannons overboard if beached on shallows!

Enjoy

ps A way of fixing rudder between neutral and full would be really good as well!

Superb ideas for enriched content, I would like also some others to be considered and if possible, developed: fog, mutinies, transshipments in OW and maybe in instances too. There are others.

While leeway is real.. it doesnt feel like a ship leeway on water, but leeway on ice. 

Having spent a lot of time on ice, I can say it feels more like that than anything on the open sea.

More so in the unrateds like the 6th and 7th rates.   But the 5th rates and bigger dont feel as bad. 

Granted I am whipping a Trincomalee around like a US Navy Destroyer, which has maneuvering jets to help it turn.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rouleur said:

I think the graphics make it seem a bit like sliding on ice rather than water - hence the need to tweek the graphical effects.

We also need improved representation of the bottoms, since you can get "grounded" when a good depth of water is still displayed under the ship.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/01/2018 at 3:08 PM, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

We also need improved representation of the bottoms, since you can get "grounded" when a good depth of water is still displayed under the ship.

also a great chance to visually show if a ship is "copper bottomed" or not.....

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Today I noticed, in the trader lynx, you go quicker in a slightly adjusted manual sailing mode rather than default autoskipper

Has this to do with leeway?

Are there other ships (square riggers) that this applies?

Edfa8Ou.jpg

KBzUmEP.jpg

Just now, Snoopy said:

Yes this works for square riggers as well.. you can squeeze a bit more out of them if you fiddle with your yards but there is more leeway. It's useful for running away sometimes >)

aha interesting

but I suppose the difference is not that huge in square riggers?

On 11/29/2019 at 2:00 PM, Liq said:

Today I noticed, in the trader lynx, you go quicker in a slightly adjusted manual sailing mode rather than default autoskipper

Has this to do with leeway?

Are there other ships (square riggers) that this applies?

Edfa8Ou.jpg

KBzUmEP.jpg

Time for some more post battle sailing lessons for my captain(s). Thanks for posting.