Game-Labs Forum

2 minutes ago, admin said:

Will give it some time - nothing can be patched until holidays end anyway. All aspects have to be considered of course, including picking up loot. As players who love the leeway might never farmed for books. 

Temp workaround - try to kill enemies when they are downwind.

Adjust it, but please don't remove it. It's good, we just have to be more careful.

As for the loot, I really urge you to change the sytem. Happy new year, chief.

8 hours ago, admin said:

For immediate release! Extreme importance.

All veffels are subject to leeway but some are more leewardly than others. Captains commandeering leewardly veffels in battle must keep distance from land and shores. Strong wind will make it impossible to maneuver out and will eventually beach your ship. Captains are encouraged to use this information to their advantage and attack leewardly ships close to land when wind is blowing to shore.

Veffels lost due to beaching or grounding or captured or destroyed due to beaching and/or grounding will not be recovered or replaced by the Admiralty and Support services. 

Appendix: Ships with stronger leeway

• All ships of the line.
  • Wasa.

Talking about this.

Can we at some Point Expect actual Windchanges for Direction and Power of the Wind instead of the Current Counter Clockwise Rotation of always Equal Power ? :)

Edited by Sunleader
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

I'll give leeway some chance to be balanced. Some ships now feel and look like they're not even touching the water. The keel touches nothing and the water gives no resistance. Naval Action: Tokyo Drift edition. However to be honest my initial impression is gameplay>realism.

Gameplay value dropped quite a bit for me. Leeway can be alright in a PvP-chase or in a mission where it's just about drowning everything. But when you are grinding slots on a ship and at the same time looking for those skillbooks that we all need to look for because they are not craftable, so you attack AI fleets, then it is just singularly frustrating when you cannot loot the ships that you sank: Because the AI takes so long to sink you already drifted away from the. Because the AI sailed upwind right before it sank. Because the AI beached themselves - which they always will do if there is a beach of any kind nearby - and if you go after them to loot you will get beached too. And then there's all the times that you finally manouver yourself back upwind to the wreck of a sunken ship, only to realize that the ship has sunk too deep for it to be possible to loot it  - even though it doesn't look like it's that deep. A waste of 5 minutes here and another 5 minutes there.

I guess I'll start bringing an alt with me in all battles, in a ship that doesn't suffer that much from leeway, so that I can loot more of those rig repairs and basic upgrades that are all I seem to ever get...

Simulators are great fun. I'll sink 200 hours of playtime into a good simulator, easily. It's something quite different that gets me to play a game for thousands of hours however.

I strongly support wrecks dropping floating crates that stay afloat after wreck is sunk, so one can loot them anyways.

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

-Magical safezones? (To be honest I don't mind them, I just wished the game encouraged players to leave them from time to time)

well, if you tried to catch traders in front of enemy capital city regions, a national fleet would have got out and chased you. So reinforcements are some kind of that 

1 hour ago, Anolytic said:

Apropos realism. Could we do something about:

-Unrealistically accurate guns that make the demasting fest a thing

-Unrealistic OP RNG-dropped modules that give magical stat bonuses to ships

-Unrealistic Port Battles where attackers start with the wind in their face or in any other way unfavourable wind conditions in a well prepared assault

(-Unrealistic absence of whaling boats and slaveships)

-Magical safezones? (To be honest I don't mind them, I just wished the game encouraged players to leave them from time to time)

Leeway was added with the best intentions. I made ship behavior feel more natural and realistic. It works awesome when you are far away from shore. There are of course some unforeseen consequences to this change (looting, bot behavior near land).

Another area to review carefully during next 8-10 days is port battles. Port battles will be REALLY different and will require a lot of precision and planning now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, admin said:

wind change (from port battles) needs to be applied to all combat types.

This will be amazing, but the wind in port battle ticks, rather than change continuously, if I am correct. 

Can we have a smooth wind changes?
Edit : didn't realize that was the port battle. Thought it was the screening fleet pre-port battle

Edited by DustyA
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DustyA said:

Seeing how the land is on their starboard and they're stuck on it, I'm guessing the port side is the weather side?

I want to see speed as well and exact wind direction.

Edited by seanjo

1 minute ago, DustyA said:

This will be amazing, but the wind in port battle ticks, rather than change continuously, if I am correct. 

Can we have a smooth wind changes?
Edit : didn't realize that was the port battle. Thought it was the screening fleet pre-port battle

no the video is most likely the instance and wind is static there.

lee shore kills you giving no chance to recover (even if you wait 10-15 mins)

in port battles wind changes 

2 hours ago, Anolytic said:

There are lots of people that leave safe zones, gankers are just too lazy to search for them...

Trinc's heeling has been increased. It can easily reach 12 degrees. But I've embraced and some time it looks like you are firing at the enemy with off map artillery :P

How where ships getting unstuck when they were beached back then? Maybe we could get something similar in the game?

Thanks devs for giving weather gauge a purpose.<3

To all that struggle to loot. 

1.hold weather gauge

2. Don't aim at the paint you want to sail to. When holding weather gauge aim above your target depending on your leeway. Pointing the bow on your target is not an option anymore. 

7 minutes ago, Sella22 said:

Trinc's heeling has been increased. It can easily reach 12 degrees. But I've embraced and some time it looks like you are firing at the enemy with off map artillery :P

How where ships getting unstuck when they were beached back then? Maybe we could get something similar in the game?

lighten ship, wait for tide, use the anchor and tow with whatever boats they have

Edited by DustyA
  • Like 1

A full yesterday evening of combat gave the best testing of the upgraded sailing control and forces.

Very pleased. In dragged out line combat taking the lee has a cost when going for the demast option of having the high heel aim high meta. The wearing feels very nice and the 'necessity' to pay attention to yard angles not to bleed so much wind is very much appreciated. The feeling overall is great, leeway is subtle, not dramatic and is there. The necessity of planning ahead is very real, both in a squadron developing moves through the battle ( albeit fixed wind ) and in the local tactical situation.

The rigging damage + auto skipper "instructor" is also a nice upgrade with the forces being applied correctly with manual tweaking giving a slight edge ( before it was already possible but not so visible).

Have yet to test the brigs and sloops/schooners.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sella22 said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warping_(sailing)

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Liq said:

I noticed that in a testing battle today, AI gut stuck to the coast, leeway force wouldnt let them get back out lol :)

My first battle against a Essex and Connie in my Bellona with those new cannons on both decks was fun.  I mean waithing for every to reload (didn't have any other guns on it either, just those 24's on both decks).  Destroyed the Essex in three broadsides but when I got to playing with the Connie he beached himself. I nuetralized my sails and used just enough wind to push me back from the shore and remain at his side.   Poor connie just rolled over and died lol.....this is so going to be fun in battles with folks that have no clue how to sail.

8 hours ago, Aziz said:

Poor Ai never stood a chance. Oh well time to tank up on those floating battery mods because theres not alot of sailing left to do in this game especially in PB that are close to shores like Port de paix.

Actually going to make battles very interesting and places like that you will want o pick different ships that might not be effective as much in close shore battles.  That and maybe we will see more folks actually using Battle sails in battle instead of running full sails.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Christendom said:

I'm not too sure about how much importance is given to the rudder position while tacking with leeways added. But what I'm certain of is that I would have turned the rudder to portside when sailing backwards with the intention to head to starboard...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DustyA said:

Adjust it, but please don't remove it. It's good, we just have to be more careful.

As for the loot, I really urge you to change the sytem. Happy new year, chief.

I've noticed that AI has the nasty habit of going against the wind, just before they die.

As if they're trying to deny you your prize.

2 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Yah been noticing that too, it's like, "HAHA you have to come back and get me."

And by the time you do make it to the spot where they sank, they're celebrating holidays in davy Jones' locker... 

• Like 1