Game-Labs Forum

1891 La Providensa

Carmela Vetrano

Hi,

I am trying to get information on a ship my great grandfather owned. The only info and photo that i have is that its a 1891 sailing ship that transported lumber to venice from cherso(now its Cres, Croatia). His name was Zaccaria Leonardo Duncovich. If anyone can direct me or help in any way . attach is a picture

Thank you

Carmela 

5505.jpeg

• Like 1

Sadly its a little later than I am used to dealing with but I will gladly give it a go, could we start by you typing out the inscription from the picture please? I can't quite make it out. Also do you know if/what it took back on its return journey? It seems a little odd that it would only take lumber one way without making something on its return trip. I know you said you don't have much information but even little snippets might help more than you might think. Is 1891 the launch date or just the date you have been given from a point of its economic activity?

I will try to do what I can for you, but can't promise much sadly.

12 hours ago, OneEyedSnake said:

my guess is some sort of schooner. what throws me off is the name, combined with the Austria-Hungary Flag. I am curious as well

Probably because the ship itself was built/launched in Venice but was registered to having Cres as its home port, which was part of Austrian Croatia so it would have flown the Austro-Hungarian flag rather than the Italian merchant jack.

19 hours ago, pietjenoob said:

Master @Fluffy Fishy

Somebody request your wisdom on Venetian ships

Thanks for the kind words.

1 hour ago, Fluffy Fishy said:

Sadly its a little later than I am used to dealing with but I will gladly give it a go, could we start by you typing out the inscription from the picture please? I can't quite make it out. Also do you know if/what it took back on its return journey? It seems a little odd that it would only take lumber one way without making something on its return trip. I know you said you don't have much information but even little snippets might help more than you might think. Is 1891 the launch date or just the date you have been given from a point of its economic activity?

Probably because the ship itself was built/launched in Venice but was registered to having Cres as its home port, which was part of Austrian Croatia so it would have flown the Austro-Hungarian flag rather than the Italian merchant jack.

the inscription is 1891 Puliga Austria Ungarne Povidenza Comandato da Podrene Zacharia Doncovich

commanded by Captain Zacharia Doncovich

1891 is the inscription on the bottom of picture. Cres was the home port of my grandfather.  I will ask a cousin if she remembers anything else.

1 hour ago, Fluffy Fishy said:

Also I was told he had another ship but it sank.

On 28/12/2017 at 9:20 AM, OneEyedSnake said:

my guess is some sort of schooner. what throws me off is the name, combined with the Austria-Hungary Flag. I am curious as well

BTW whole Lombardy and the Venetian regions were part of the Hapsburg Austrian empire in the first part of the 19th century (and Trieste region even until much later). Moreover Duncovich seems to me a croatian family name, but it is present also in Trieste.

Edited by victor

Sorry I have been a little quiet recently, I am enjoying some quiet time away as part of the new year, I am still looking into the subject for you, be it a little slowly due to being away from my main resources. Either way I believe the ship in question your grandfather sailed was a Trabaccolo, they are a small to medium coastal trading ship which was better suited to the lighter mediterranean winds than the traditional northern european sloops and schooners, the trabaccolo also has the benefit of being better on rivers than its northern european counterparts. The Trabaccolo is a venetian design dating back to the 15th century but is still used today, albeit a slightly modernised design. The style of vessel was very popular in the 18th and 19th century Adriatic and more sturdy built vessels were armed as gunboats for port defence, the majority of these ships were constructed and maintained along the slips on the lagoon island of Lido but were also built in large numbers in the coastal ports of what is now Croatia, where your great grandfather might have come in.

Here is a fantastic short essay written by the excellent Gilberto Penzo on another trabacciolo (although in italian):

http://www.academia.edu/30392589/Il_Rilievo_DI_Imbarcazioni_Storiche

And Here is the wiki page for the ship:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabaccolo

While this sadly isn't information on your great grandfather's specific ship, I hope it goes some way in the right direction before starting to narrow down things, potentially with the name and ship type you could start thinking about contacting the croatian, austrian and italian archives, who if you are lucky might be able to offer some information to dig a little deeper still.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, 

I did get more information. The type of boat is a Pielego or pielago. It is a reduced version of the trabaccoli. From my research dimensions did not exceed 18 meters in lenght,5.5 meters in width and 2.4 meters in height with a capacity of 100 tons used for fishing and or loading of goods until early 20 century. The painting that I have is from a famous artist vincenzo luzzo. 

• 7 months later...
Il 27/12/2017 alle 22:35, Carmela Vetrano ha dichiarato:

Ciao,

Sto cercando di ottenere informazioni su una nave di proprietà del mio bisnonno. L'unica informazione e foto che ho è che è una nave a vela del 1891 che trasportava legname da Venezia a Cherso (ora Cres, Croazia). Si chiamava Zaccaria Leonardo Duncovich. Se qualcuno mi può dirigere o aiutare in alcun modo. allegare è una foto

Grazie

Carmela 

5505.jpeg

E un classico trabaccolo adriatico vedi: http://www.veniceboats.com/it-censimento-barche-mare.htm