Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rosebud2

Bonuses for rakes, punishments for sails

Is it just me or does raking an armorless stern feel like it yields far less damage than it should. Does my fire have to go strait down the length of the ship to do any damage? I've unloaded a full broadside into an enemy stern and seen no change in the structure bar. Am I doing it wrong? If so why does the wood splinter as if I'm doing it right? It's gotten to the point that I just offer up my stern for them to fire away at without fear of it doing any real damage. There's that and why would anyone go after enemy sails? No amount of damage short of dismasting seems to slow them down significantly enough to make it worth your while. The sail repair button, in every instance for me, has been used for the sole purpose of fixing the bow sprit.

1 hour ago, rosebud2 said:

Is it just me or does raking an armorless stern feel like it yields far less damage than it should. Does my fire have to go strait down the length of the ship to do any damage? I've unloaded a full broadside into an enemy stern and seen no change in the structure bar. Am I doing it wrong? If so why does the wood splinter as if I'm doing it right? It's gotten to the point that I just offer up my stern for them to fire away at without fear of it doing any real damage. There's that and why would anyone go after enemy sails? No amount of damage short of dismasting seems to slow them down significantly enough to make it worth your while. The sail repair button, in every instance for me, has been used for the sole purpose of fixing the bow sprit.

Shooting ball into stern really not do much to stucture.  It removes some crew and Cannons. Some lose of DPS

Shooting Grape is Massive Crew lose and DPS Hit 

Shooting Chain is Just plan stupid, unless you are chasing someone and only out your front guns.(FYI even that is carebear'ed up)  Much easier to clip top mask with ball than waste time shooting chain. Many players have spreed sheets (hundreds of all different type of battles) that prove Shooting Chain is oxymoron'ish. It dose nothing to DPS at all, it will/may slow them down some and even slow turn rate down some.  But they still have a full side ready to go when u even up on them.

This has been debated for years, but bad players will still think Chain is way to go when running. You can't fix stupid

Kinda like using longs ver med ver carrors,  But that is another debate  

Edited by JobaSet

1 hour ago, JobaSet said:

Shooting ball into stern really not do much to stucture.  It removes some crew and Cannons. Some lose of DPS

Shooting Grape is Massive Crew lose and DPS Hit 

Shooting Chain is Just plan stupid, unless you are chasing someone and only out your front guns.(FYI even that is carebear'ed up)  Much easier to clip top mask with ball than waste time shooting chain. Many players have spreed sheets (hundreds of all different type of battles) that prove Shooting Chain is oxymoron'ish. It dose nothing to DPS at all, it will/may slow them down some and even slow turn rate down some.  But they still have a full side ready to go when u even up on them.

This has been debated for years, but bad players will still think Chain is way to go when running. You can't fix stupid

Kinda like using longs ver med ver carrors,  But that is another debate  

Uhh shooting chain does the most sail damage. If the enemy ship is faster than you, banking on taking a top gallant off in 2 broadsides is risky. While shooting one broadside of chain will net you 20% sail damage easy. It is a way to keep people from running. Chain them a little then demast or work on the hull

Firing ball into the stern can also take down the masts of the ship however it's not reliable. If you aim your cannons right you can take out cannons on the gun deck (really good for stern raking 1st rates in PBs).

11 minutes ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

Uhh shooting chain does the most sail damage. If the enemy ship is faster than you, banking on taking a top gallant off in 2 broadsides is risky. While shooting one broadside of chain will net you 20% sail damage easy. It is a way to keep people from running. Chain them a little then demast or work on the hull

This game just like NA ow is suppose to be. Sinking Ships not slowing them down.  If you load chain you are stuck with it.(The Joke of the day is how many times have you taken a broad side of chain Today....... for the last 2 years)  If you load ball you can do either. Not going to debate this, as I said, you Can't fix what has been blindly followed for years.  Just ask the people that Win a lot.

PS getting away is not a win

Edited by JobaSet