Game-Labs Forum

Yet another map: Naval Action map

Felix Victor

6 hours ago, Macjimm said:

reading player's rants that the Devs should include more ingame options (Map tools) so that 3rd party apps are not necessary. 

Ah, I think I've seen comments to that effect. Nevermind those guys. Devs released api data for us to use, they want this. They are happy when we make stuff and so are we.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Felix Victor said:

However, why would you need to work on a journey that only takes minutes or even fractions of it?

The only circumstance when a short journey, with several waypoints, may involve important timings is during a storm, when visibility is lousy.  

Most of the important timings are out on the open water, when cumulative intervals of several half minutes can result in a significant variation in distance.  As a trader, it is wise to plot a course to avoid sighting land, where the course plan becomes an important recipe for arriving on schedule, at a precise spot.

Regardless, your map is very helpful as it is. It works well, and it is fast.  It's also easy to modify the Journey.  My comments are offered in the spirit of fine tuning it.   Players interested in precision navigation can still use a graphics program, some basic geometry, a little arithmetic and Shrouded Recluse's map for detailed calculations.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jodgi said:

Ah, I think I've seen comments to that effect. Nevermind those guys. 

Thanks jodgi,

Good advice, I should just enjoy the stuff people create to enhance the game, and ignore the hate.   Suppose some people just want to complain.  

21 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

I would greatly appreciate Devs to include in-game basic tools of navigation, sailing profiles and data that should be easily accessible

That's fine but they won't have that kind of time on their hands for a long time. In the mean time I'm happy they gave us API.

Updated beta version at https://na-map-test.netlify.com/:

• journey: every leg is movable and scales proper when being zoomed in and out
  • 'Select port' now shows port with large white circle and trading partners (ports where to buy [green] or sell goods [red] or both [blue]), port info windows contains the details
  • removed 'Go to port', use 'Select port' instead
  • 'Select goods' now also contains craftable goods
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 4:12 PM, Felix Victor said:

Updated beta version at https://na-map-test.netlify.com/:

• journey: every leg is movable and scales proper when being zoomed in and out
  • 'Select port' now shows port with large white circle and trading partners (ports where to buy [green] or sell goods [red] or both [blue]), port info windows contains the details
  • removed 'Go to port', use 'Select port' instead
  • 'Select goods' now also contains craftable goods

Love this, thanks!

• Like 1

Journey

From the trips I'm made, and timed, the result seems fairly accurate; At least for an empty Basic Cutter  But there is no way to determine the trip details with cargo.  The speed reduction from carrying goods in the hold will result in significant variation.  Perhaps the ship's top speed could be added to Journey.

• 2 weeks later...

v7 2018-10-31

• patch 27 compliant
  • New: 'Select port' now shows port with large white circle and trading partners (ports where to buy [green] or sell goods [red] or both [blue]), port info windows contains the details, suggested by @rediii
  • New: 'Get position' - position interpolation with the help of distances from the in-game trader tool, suggested by mallory
  • New: history of port ownership (overview and region details)
  • New: auto resize map when window size changes
  • New: list of cannons added
  • Improved: journey - duration calculated based on distance, current wind direction and ship speed (assumptions: minimal speed of 4 knots, open world speed is twice the regular speed)
  • Change: range for x and z coordinates are -819k to 819k, suggested by @Norfolk nChance
  • Change: 'Select goods' now also contains craftable goods, suggested by @asdf
  • Changes: a lot of minor improvements
  • Removed: 'Go to port', use 'Select port' instead

• Like 4