Game-Labs Forum

Caribbean Post System

Just now, Cortez said:

I didn`t. Read what i wrote.

I did, moving things between free ports out of OW eliminates sailing. as there is a Free Town on the border between every nation. A trader could have a player in each nation take stuff to the free port, and then transfer it from one to the other, and neither would ever leave their home waters.

1 minute ago, BPHick said:

I did, moving things between free ports out of OW eliminates sailing. as there is a Free Town on the border between every nation. A trader could have a player in each nation take stuff to the free port, and then transfer it from one to the other, and neither would ever leave their home waters.

What is wrong with that? Traders would sail to free ports then, to move the cargo to their home waters.Buy in port,sail to free port, deliver to free port, sail to home port.

What is here written that you don`t understand?

You really THINK that anyone is enjoying 3-4 hours sailing trips?

Are you ahm.. mental?

If you want to sail around, for HOURS, sail from port to port i do not care. But do not speak for majority of players who are sick and tired of HOURS of REAL LIFETIME spent in a game, that became a part time job.

And then, don`t ask me why numbers never rise. They won`t, and this is one of the reasons.

1 minute ago, Cortez said:

What is wrong with that? Traders would sail to free ports then, to move the cargo to their home waters.Buy in port,sail to free port, deliver to free port, sail to home port.

What is here written that you don`t understand?

You really THINK that anyone is enjoying 3-4 hours sailing trips?

Are you ahm.. mental?

If you want to sail around, for HOURS, sail from port to port i do not care. But do not speak for majority of players who are sick and tired of HOURS of REAL LIFETIME spent in a game, that became a part time job.

And then, don`t ask me why numbers never rise. They won`t, and this is one of the reasons.

If can't see how taking players off the map is a bad thing in a PvP game, then I can't help you. 

Trading is a time-consuming process, no doubt. But, it is in many games. The issue isn't the sailing time (although the upwind sailing mechanics in OW need worked on for gameplay reasons imo), the issue is that there isn't a robust set of PvP trading tools that allow traders to use that time efficiently. 

Calling people names or resorting to personal insults doesn't help your argument at all.

I speak for me, and me alone. I happen to know others who share my opinions on this matter, but I do not speak for them. Take your own advise and don't speak for them, either. 

Numbers don't rise because the game has been in alpha for 2 years, and still looks like it. There are many missing components that are required to attract and retain players. The devs seem to be focusing on the sailing and battle mechanics atm (what may be considered the "core" game mechanics), and are starting to look at fit and finish (like UI). They also need to work on trading/crafting mechanics (also "core" to the game since the introduction of OW, but I am going out on a limb here and saying the combat mechanics are able to port over to Legends, which they are hoping to be a quick release and a source of revenue for the continued development of NA. Again, that is pure conjecture on my part).

6 minutes ago, BPHick said:

If can't see how taking players off the map is a bad thing in a PvP game, then I can't help you

You can`t force people to play this game by time consuming sailing. If you don`t like moving goods between free ports, sail around.

And right now, trading makes no sense, and it takes too long.

10 minutes ago, BPHick said:

Numbers don't rise because the game has been in alpha for 2 years, and still looks like it

7 minutes ago, BPHick said:

Trading is a time-consuming process, no doubt

It`s not. Sailing is.

The issue isn't the sailing time

A huge issue atm.

8 minutes ago, BPHick said:

Calling people names or resorting to personal insults doesn't help your argument at all.

I need to, because your "arguments" are totally beyond me.

4 minutes ago, Wraith said:

We've tried it already and have decided it was a bad idea

"We"? Who are "we"?

5 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Any idea to take traders off the open water is bad

That is not my idea. Read my suggestion. If you want to sail, sail 24/7, i don`t care.

Once again, forcing people to sail, won`t make them happy.

8 minutes ago, Cortez said:

You can`t force people to play this game by time consuming sailing. If you don`t like moving goods between free ports, sail around.

And right now, trading makes no sense, and it takes too long.

This game is based around sailing, which is inherently slow. Not only that, trading in many MMOG's is time consuming, at least more so than that same game's PvP combat.  Furthermore, as sailing in OW is inherent to the game, by virtue of people buying/playing the game, they are accepting of this mechanic. Combine those points and your argument here is moot.

Trading is a time-consuming process, no doubt

It`s not. Sailing is. 

It`s not. Sailing is. 

A huge issue atm.

The issues with sailing time are not specific to traders, and therefore not relevant to this particular discussion.

I need to, because your "arguments" are totally beyond me.

You choose to. Whether or not you also choose to acknowledge views differing from yours are valid and have merit is up to you, as well.

Edited by BPHick

6 minutes ago, Wraith said:

You must be new around here. "We" as in the testing community. 

And your "idea," which isn't in any way new since it was already in the game, will take traders off the open water and transplant them to just making runs between free ports and ports of interest. Long-haul sailing will disappear, and as it is you can sail from one end of the map to the other in a couple hours if you're in an appropriate, fast trading ship.  If you want to sail a fleet of Indiamen around then sure, suck it up and plan for a longer trip.

"Community" ?

I see no community here. By the way, exactly this is the way to lose more players, seen too many leaving game, just because of mechanics that don`t work.

The issues with sailing time are not specific to traders, and therefore not relevant to this particular discussion

Really? I may remind you, that after the wipe, you weren`t able to teleport between free ports, or, i might be wrong, not even between own outposts in home waters.

Untill "community" started to complain, and again many left the game.

Sailing is not the issue, you get everything wrong here.It is the transport of goods.

1 minute ago, Cortez said:

Really? I may remind you, that after the wipe, you weren`t able to teleport between free ports, or, i might be wrong, not even between own outposts in home waters.

Untill "community" started to complain, and again many left the game.

I'm not really sure what your point is here. Nobody is disputing that the community can have input into the game design.

Sailing is not the issue, you get everything wrong here.It is the transport of goods.

So is it the issue or is it not? You have now said both. I maintain it is not the issue here (it is in other conversations, just not this one).

Just now, Wraith said:

I think maybe trading is not for you. Perhaps you should go try some PvP and experience some content that lets you actually explore how multiple mechanics might work together to create an open world that suits all players, not just you.

Nah...Just gonna play less and less :)

Already now logging in just to spend labour hours.

7 minutes ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

Taken together with your initial idea, you might forgive one for thinking that you want to be just as productive as merchants in other factions while putting in a quarter the effort and a tenth the risk.

Effort isn`t worth anymore.

Takes too much time.

4 minutes ago, Cortez said:

Effort isn`t worth anymore.

Takes too much time.

Not to be blunt but it just sounds like you are burnt out of NA. Maybe take a break and come back at a later date? I do it from time to time and it makes NA more enjoyable when I play.

On to your suggestion, I do not agree with it, but I am in support of a system to create an incentive for players to haul resources that other players wish to move....like real trading and transporting. 

As others have said, it could simply be me setting up a contract for a player to move 2,000 iron ore from point A to point B for 400,000 (or whatever reward is made) gold reward. I think that would be amazing.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

Not to be blunt but it just sounds like you are burnt out of NA. Maybe take a break and come back at a later date? I do it from time to time and it makes NA more enjoyable when I play.

Lol.. I appreciate your concern, but that is not the case.

Not burned out, just bored :)

Edited by Cortez