Game-Labs Forum

Storms belong to the caribbean!

@admin and @Ink:

The stormy weather in the video above is quite amazing! 

Of course it could be even better - e.g. more splashing water when the ship slides down a wave and hits the next one / lesser sails visible at "full sails" mode because it's a storm ...

As you can see above there are more ideas of what could be done for immersing storm experiences in the game!

BUT: As i said the storm captured in the video above is already great as it is - bouncing up and down the waves, seeing only the mast of other ships sometimes ...

You proved, that you can implement storms into the game, please bring them back!

Captains, storms that was linked here were discussed in this thread:

Please check it as there are explanations of issues related to implementation of storm instances (not to mention storm instances were hated after some time by almost anyone during Sea Trials)

1 hour ago, Ink said:

Please check it as there are explanations of issues related to implementation of storm instances (not to mention storm instances were hated after some time by almost anyone during Sea Trials)

While I think it would be fun to have them once in a while, but I have to agree it was a nightmare to battle in.  Though might be interesting to bring them back on a low level with new capsizing mechanics that might come into play in the future.  Folks forget that a storm is not the place to do battle in, if anything you would use it to run from a fight more than anything.

@Ink

1 hour ago, Ink said:

storm instances were hated after some time by almost anyone during Sea Trials

In the thread you posted above the posts lead to one conclusion concerning this topic: People didn't dislike storms in general - they just happened too often!

--> Well that could be fixed!

Furthermore posts from admin suggest, that waves needs to be the same for the whole server - everythinig else needs more server capacity / needs more money.

--> You closed down a server ... might be some money leftover!?

If you don't want to spend the extra money, your programmers - i'am sure - can find a way to work storm instances into the game - even old games like Pirates of the Caribbean (2003) had storm instances which sort of "tagged" you in the open world ... well on the map you were sailing on.

Modeling high waves also wouldn't be the problem, because you already had those magnificently high tides!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ink said:

yes but there were was no open world in sea trials. ofc no one wants to fight in massive storms. but sometimes you should have to in open world.... #leak shots.

• Like 1

On 18.12.2017 at 6:32 PM, maturin said:

Storm instances went away because it requires the devs to maintain additional instances running on the server. They just see it an an inefficient use of resources.

They should simply make it rather rare so resources are saved and people will truely appreciate the storm battles whenever they get one...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I’m sorry to bring this up again, but it really would be a pity not to have storms in battles!

Adding to the ideas above, the following crazy stuff came into my mind:

Rare storms with heavy rain or fog in battles could also lead to a sort of ‚fog of war‘ inflicting the map overview of a fleet.

In my imagination that would lead to the need of scouting ships, keeping enemy ships as well as ships of thier own fleet in sight. If succeeding in doing that enemy ships in sight would be visible for the whole fleet, if not they would disappear from the map overview.

Edited by Navalus Magnus

12 minutes ago, Przemo said:

Please dont slow down already slow Open World sailing.

Not necessary!

Even if there are ideas mentioned above that indeed would slow down OW sailing, they could get reduced to certain areas.

But the focus i think is getting storms back into battle instances (at a low rate).

I have seen pvp storms in naval action legends .. so why isnt it seen in naval action? .. ive not seen it like it is in legends.  I did see some early footage during the development of naval action where storms were in battle screen with big waves.

I could go in legends yes and show you what I mean.. the main one that seems to come up stormy is the battle for Salamanca.  When that starts in storm, visibility is very poor and I think the map function is disabled to stop you seeing the enemy until they approach. Its also heavy rain, poor visibility and waves that mean you have to pick your shots.. so they are already doing some of this, just not in the main game.

From what I'm reading in another thread linked by Ink, it did happen - ships could capsize in the storm.

I would love to see this feature, however I can imagine some people would hate it - with every storm devs would get multiple requests for ship refunds.

ps. now ships also capsize and people request refunds :) 

@Cpt Shadow I fear the videos you’ve posted aren‘t from Naval Action Legends (recently created), but from NA itself (and thus from over one year ago).

Devs unfortunately said that such storms won‘t come back 😔

@admin and @Ink

It would be a joy if you changed your mind about that!

Edited by Navalus Magnus