Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming patch 14 Part 3

4 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Constitution:repairing is half correct. They had used all the gunpowder charges, iirc some 70 broadsides, and were refilling.

Notice wear and tack times.

Also, most of the combat was not at Full sail if even at any given time.

;)

She stood off to repair the damage to her rigging mostly sail control lines like braces that had been shot away or damaged when the ships got entangled.

4 hours ago, Jœrnson said:

And she lost her rudder which had to be repaired ;)

Her wheel not her rudder. They steered using tiller ropes below deck for the rest of the battle. Had her rudder been shot away the outcome of the battle may well have been different.

• Like 1

To be clear,  the rudder can be damaged by bad weather or collisions (with iron spheres or planetary spheres, whichever), just like any other component. But to actually be in danger of falling off, the head of the rudder needs to be destroyed inside the ship's stern itself, or the attendant fittings dislodged.

The first use of the rudder chains would be to prevent the rudder from straining the pintles by turning too far. An emergency backstop.

If the rudder actually broke at the head (inside the ship), then the chains could be rigged for steering by pulling on the rudder from outboard.

And if everything before that failed, and the rudder was actually broken off (probably by grounding), then of course the chains might still be attached.

On HMS Victory, the head of the rudder was used as a dinner table.

She stood off to repair the damage to her rigging mostly sail control lines like braces that had been shot away or damaged when the ships got entangled.

I hadn't looked at that diagram too closely before. Interesting how you can see Constitution wearing round in 10 minutes to fire again, while Java is still stuck luffing up.

11 minutes ago, maturin said:

Lets try it the other way. What do you think about ships doing 6kn - 7kn + and more backwards? That means they are sailing faster backwards than forward? Why no real captain did that? Should there be a penalty for doing so in the game? Like rudder decay etc?

Edited by z4ys

Just now, z4ys said:

That means they are sailing faster backwards than forward?

What are you talking about? In my game I can sail 12 kts on the slowest ship. 6 > 12 ???

Ships did sail backwards as a tactical maneuver. Constitution v. Cyane and Levant (British ship names IIRC). The packet ship dreadknought sailed 250 miles backwards in an emergency, and it wasn't going 2 kts the whole time.

6 kts is really fast, but none of these battles were fought at 14 kts either, so why doesn't that bother you? Everything is relative, and exaggerated or diminished to a varying extent, according to the needs of gameplay.

And yes, there should be a good chance of breaking the rudder if we use A/D keys when sailing backwards at >3 kts.

It is not uncommon in complex games for odd results to show in the most great implementations 

Could it be that it is a unintended artificial way of high sternway speed - let's say 5 knots - , maybe concerning the momentum gain ( you can go from full stop to 5 knots in 5 seconds just by properly putting the yards and drop all stays and jibs ) to overcome a credible RL simulated difficulty as presented by the game ?! After all we go out and test all this stuff under duress of cannon fire :) 

27 minutes ago, DeRuyter said:

Her wheel not her rudder. 

Pls forgive me my vague definition. English is not my mother language. But the wheel is part of rudder mechanism still :)

2 minutes ago, Jœrnson said:

Pls forgive me my vague definition. English is not my mother language. But the wheel is part of rudder mechanism still :)

NP:)  We can just call the whole thing the "steering mechanism". 

History part: The wheel that the ship has on it now was taken from the HMS Java  after the battle.

19 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Lets try it the other way. What do you think about ships doing 6kn - 7kn + and more backwards? That means they are sailing faster backwards than forward? Why no real captain did that? Should there be a penalty for doing so in the game? Like rudder decay etc?

One of the problems in game is that it is done at full sails to get that high speed backwards when irl unless the wind was very light you wouldn't want to risk damage to the masts/rigging with the sails aback against the masts.

2 minutes ago, DeRuyter said:

One of the problems in game is that it is done at full sails to get that high speed backwards when irl unless the wind was very light you wouldn't want to risk damage to the masts/rigging with the sails aback against the masts.

4 hours ago, z4ys said:

there is only realism where its suits best

Regarding transfer from Global to Caribbean...

Have the Devs mentioned ship XP combining? For example, if I have 18000 XP on a Surprise in Global and 6000 Surprise XP already on Euro, will I then have 24,000 Surprise XP?

50 minutes ago, DeRuyter said:

True, but remember that we fight exclusively under the most heroic circumstances possible. It's a videogame, so the epic is expected.

e.g., the packet ship Dreadnought sailing backwards to the Azores with every square sail on the mizzen set. That was 1850-ish so maybe the rigs were getting a bit stronger, but still.

I think it blows that global is getting closed. I'm going from a ping of 90-120 to a ping of 200+. That ought to help make this game a whole lot more fun. Hell, how else can you all screw the US players? I'm sure youll come up with another change to take the fun out of this game. And you wonder why so few play now...geeeeze.

46 minutes ago, racketyjack said:

I think it blows that global is getting closed. I'm going from a ping of 90-120 to a ping of 200+. That ought to help make this game a whole lot more fun. Hell, how else can you all screw the US players? I'm sure youll come up with another change to take the fun out of this game. And you wonder why so few play now...geeeeze.

It's easy, just divide US players' actual ping by 10 when the UI displays it. Then the US players won't notice any difference and the EU players will whine instead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, racketyjack said:

I logged in once in Global and my ping was 120-130. Perfectly playable and you should get more or less that ping, so you can play with no issues.

Edited by _Alucard_
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

@admin Why no patch updates unless I'm being blind and missed it?   Would be nice to get a slight up date of what is going on since we got a patch this morning but not the merge.

It appears it was just the graphical/UI updates for the upcoming mechanics change.  Port timers on the map, etc...

9 hours ago, racketyjack said:

Better play with slightly higher ping than on a dead server. Even EU server barely has players left but still significantly more than the US server had...

5 hours ago, _Alucard_ said:

I logged in once in Global and my ping was 120-130. Perfectly playable and you should get more or less that ping, so you can play with no issues.

Get into a fight with more than 2 and watch that ping jump to 500 , it will vary but if players coming over want to stick to just pve due to bad ping , this may just hurt some sadly 

6 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

It appears it was just the graphical/UI updates for the upcoming mechanics change.  Port timers on the map, etc...

Well that is pretty patch as that is where you can set your port restrictions too.  I noticed combat news tells you when you hit 25% hotlitlty too, but wasn't on to see if it lets you know any other way. I think we got the patch patch part of it just not the merge.  Though didn't have chance to test leeway or any of the light ships.  Wonder if they got tweeks too.  Maybe we get the merge tonight and be done with this.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Well that is pretty patch as that is where you can set your port restrictions too.  I noticed combat news tells you when you hit 25% hotlitlty too, but wasn't on to see if it lets you know any other way. I think we got the patch patch part of it just not the merge.  Though didn't have chance to test leeway or any of the light ships.  Wonder if they got tweeks too.  Maybe we get the merge tonight and be done with this.

no update. only maintenance