Game-Labs Forum
admin

Forthcoming patch 14 Part 3

1 minute ago, Havelock said:

Please add a method to stick rudder to one position then. Or just make the rudder automatically counter leeward drifting in auto sail. I dont think having to tap a and d all the time is a mechanic requiring skill or making sailing more fun.

Not sure. Why we would have leeway implemented if then we would have 1 single key to nullify the mechanic ?

Also, to naval fellows, how was lee countered best in the timeline, if at all ?

Unstable situations might be added (having a ship with large yard power but using it irresponsibly can result in capsizing of the boat).

Without storm instances or squalls, I don't see the use of capsizing. No one should suddenly capsize just because they set their yards wrong, like a bolt from the blue.

If the ship is in danger you will know in advance because the angle of heel will increase way past 10 degrees (which seems to be the max in this game).

If the wind is strong enough to capsize a ship, then sailing backwards in the same conditions would also threaten the masts.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Not sure. Why we would have leeway implemented if then we would have 1 single key to nullify the mechanic ?

I see it as a mechanic to give ships more unique sailing qualities. I mean, can you imagine having to slightly tap d for 20 minutes xD

3 minutes ago, Havelock said:

I see it as a mechanic to give ships more unique sailing qualities. I mean, can you imagine having to slightly tap d for 20 minutes xD

I see fights becoming less linear.

I would imagine with less wind on sails the leeway becomes less hence less need to continuous tap ( tap will rudder, effectively changing course vector )

1 minute ago, Havelock said:

You don't need to tap the rudder at all.

If you want to sail at 95 degrees and you make 10 degrees of leeway (which is a lot, in moderate wind), then you just aim at 85 degrees. That's absolutely it.

Leeway is a very simple feature to account for (maybe not to code). If implemented correctly, it is only of great relevance over the course of a long upwind chase, or when maneuvering close to the wind at slow speeds. For example, trying to maneuver your ship under the guns of a fort, or taking up position to fire into a boarding action. Then we should be sliding all over the place.

The question here is what kind of range of leeway we are dealing with. Most ships should just make a few degrees when pointing between 90 and 70 degrees to wind, ranging to above 10 degrees of drift for leewardly vessels. And additional leeway anytime sails are 'stalling', like when square riggers try to make 45 degrees to the wind in-game. Whenever the sails aren't producing enough lift, you'll sag to leeward.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dharus said:

When you sail from point A toward B, you never go in a straight line to B.  The wind pushes you downwind so to sail to be B you need to point further upwind.  This effect can cause you to get pushed into unfavorable positions such as a shoreline...

Aye.....always be afeared of getting caught on a lee shore......<shudder>

Jack Aubrey is always going on about that :)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, maturin said:

Without storm instances or squalls, I don't see the use of capsizing. No one should suddenly capsize just because they set their yards wrong, like a bolt from the blue.

If the ship is in danger you will know in advance because the angle of heel will increase way past 10 degrees (which seems to be the max in this game).

If the wind is strong enough to capsize a ship, then sailing backwards in the same conditions would also threaten the masts.

Maybe it shouldn't get ships to capsize without a storm, but could cause damage to the top of the masts!?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quineloe said:

POBS had the currents thing all wrong. All of it. Never mind what a stupid mechanic it was. Speed buff by passing over a giant arrow in the water? Yuck.

Well I agree arrows were ugly, but concept worked well and traders used it well. It got people from point A to point B faster. This would help and it's better than nothing. 

1 minute ago, Navalus Magnus said:

Maybe it shouldn't get ships to capsize without a storm, but could cause damage to the top of the masts!?

Damage to masts was always a possibility, but it's hard to code correctly.

The devs have mentioned something about losing masts when 'turning sharply', but this is neither here nor there. Wearing ship can result in turning sharply, but is a rather gentle maneuver after all.

Bracing the yards (especially the mainyard) flat aback at high speed would be most likely to cause trouble.

Other than that, the most dangerous moment would be sailing fast downwind and suddenly turning upwind. The apparent windspeed would rapidly increase (but still wouldn't be much higher than normal for a close-hauled course).

In short, punishing players with rig failure is a bit unfair without varying wind strengths.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Navalus Magnus said:

@adminFirst of all we don't even have wind strength/speed, how can we capsize in a sunny day with light waves (typical instance)?  Some magical force will capsize the ship?

Devs need to add wind strength first. Light, medium , heavy , destructive. Only during destructive winds ships would be able to capsize. 

This wind strength should be changed as roll dice during instances. It could jump from light to destructive or from light to heavy.  

Edited by Seraphic Radiance
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

In navigation it was countered by being able to figure out your current position.

Frankly if Leeway just means you constantly have to adjust course, expect player numbers to drop again.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, admin said:

Due to the fact that all your assets from global will be transferred to redeemables on the Caribbean,

@admin or @Ink

Any word on building transfer, specifically shipyards and workshops? They took a tremendous amount of materials to build.

Will we just receive gold compensation as has been previously hinted, a redeemable for actual building, or the necessary resources to build them? Otherwise we must start crafting ingots, stone, etc because we’ll have to build them all over again.

1 minute ago, Farrago said:

@admin or @Ink

Any word on building transfer, specifically shipyards and workshops? They took a tremendous amount of materials to build.

Will we just receive gold compensation as has been previously hinted, a redeemable for actual building, or the necessary resources to build them? Otherwise we must start crafting ingots, stone, etc because we’ll have to build them all over again.

It was not hinted, it was clearly stated you get a gold refund. And yeah I'd strongly suggest you use this weekend to just create the resources. It's not that expensive.

Edited by Quineloe

5 hours ago, admin said:

Due to the fact that all your assets from global will be transferred to redeemables on the Caribbean, you can already start a character or use an old one on the Caribbean Server formerly known as PVP EU. All your assets will come to redeems once merge is done and you will have some head start to get used to a new place ( +pick a name, nation etc). 

Okay so question about this. On Global (main account) I have a Danish character. On what is now Caribbean (played a week or so) I have a Dutch Character. Is everything from that Global account transferring over to the Dutch character when merger happens?

51 minutes ago, Quineloe said:

In navigation it was countered by being able to figure out your current position.

The wake was sighted using a sextant and compared to the ship's compass heading.

Somehow I doubt a few degrees of navigation error would cause a mass exodus from the game. Let's not be dramatic. The game had the highest player numbers back before there was even a protractor, when 'eyeball' navigation had the highest degree of error.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, _Alucard_ said:

No, there are no repairs in capitals. Only those sold by players.

You might want to check any of the capitals on the map, between November 1st and now.

• Capital cities now supply repairs (including Shroud Cay), repair crafters can increase their profit by supplying repairs to free towns. Apologies for the inconveniences dear repairs crafters.

16 minutes ago, Davos Seasworth said:

Okay so question about this. On Global (main account) I have a Danish character. On what is now Caribbean (played a week or so) I have a Dutch Character. Is everything from that Global account transferring over to the Dutch character when merger happens?

From what admin and ink have said, your Caribbean server character will get all the redeemables, no matter what nation it is. They have said you could even delete your Caribbean server character if you wanted to change the name, because the redeemables will be there until you use them. 

Once again I'll say it - this game needs variable wind and sea states with the direction you are going. Capsized by bracing the yards - well my first question would be what was the wind conditions and how much sail were they carrying.

Something like @Seraphic Radiance suggestion with 3-4 different wind states (leaving out the really light conditions).  Good reason to shorten sail. Plus damage for carrying too much sail - I read accounts of ships getting caught because a top mast carried away (ie; USS Essex). Also it was much easier to maneuver with the courses furled - as @maturin noted you can sustain mast damage sailing backwards at full sail (because of the way the courses are rigged this is problematic).

Now that you have sail area to hull ratios modeled in order to get the most out of it bring in variable winds - this will further differentiate ships even within the same rate. US  ships were notoriously over canvased for example. There's your capsize risk - carrying too much sail for the conditions.

Lastly please add ship drafts - I know hard to code but it would be a nice feature. :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Quineloe said:

It was not hinted, it was clearly stated you get a gold refund. And yeah I'd strongly suggest you use this weekend to just create the resources. It's not that expensive.

Okay. I did not see when the definitive answer was given. Thanks.

Does anyone recall the “recipes” (ie the quantity of mats) that one needs for a workshop and a level 1, 2, and 3 shipyard? It’s been a long time.

I fear that adding extra combo books can make training new players even harder. It took me 6 months to get all combo books. It's insane that in order to give a new player even chance against an old player he needs to grind for half a year...

Its ok on OW, however it's a real issue in PB. 

3 hours ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

Khreayt.jpg

Can someone please explain what is happening in this picture, I keep seeing it being posted up but quite frankly it is ridiculous without the full context. The arrows in the river are they supposed to be wind or current, because if its wind then why is it changing as you go through the channel. To me it looks more like how current would behave in a restricted channel.

What the picture does not show is where the wind is coming from. You also note at one stage they are using an anchor to swing with no sails up. These may all be feasible maneuvers in a real ship but this is not possible in NA, so I do not know why it keeps getting posted. 

2 hours ago, Quineloe said:

Frankly if Leeway just means you constantly have to adjust course, expect player numbers to drop again.

In battle !? I am pretty sure it is in battle.

In OW you already get 4º declination on a dead reckoning btw.