Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming patch 14 Part 3

1 minute ago, Navalus Magnus said:

Maybe it shouldn't get ships to capsize without a storm, but could cause damage to the top of the masts!?

Damage to masts was always a possibility, but it's hard to code correctly.

The devs have mentioned something about losing masts when 'turning sharply', but this is neither here nor there. Wearing ship can result in turning sharply, but is a rather gentle maneuver after all.

Bracing the yards (especially the mainyard) flat aback at high speed would be most likely to cause trouble.

Other than that, the most dangerous moment would be sailing fast downwind and suddenly turning upwind. The apparent windspeed would rapidly increase (but still wouldn't be much higher than normal for a close-hauled course).

In short, punishing players with rig failure is a bit unfair without varying wind strengths.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Navalus Magnus said:

Maybe it shouldn't get ships to capsize without a storm, but could cause damage to the top of the masts!?

@adminFirst of all we don't even have wind strength/speed, how can we capsize in a sunny day with light waves (typical instance)?  Some magical force will capsize the ship?

Devs need to add wind strength first. Light, medium , heavy , destructive. Only during destructive winds ships would be able to capsize. 

This wind strength should be changed as roll dice during instances. It could jump from light to destructive or from light to heavy.  

Edited by Seraphic Radiance
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

Not sure. Why we would have leeway implemented if then we would have 1 single key to nullify the mechanic ?

Also, to naval fellows, how was lee countered best in the timeline, if at all ?

In navigation it was countered by being able to figure out your current position.

Frankly if Leeway just means you constantly have to adjust course, expect player numbers to drop again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, admin said:

Due to the fact that all your assets from global will be transferred to redeemables on the Caribbean,

@admin or @Ink

Any word on building transfer, specifically shipyards and workshops? They took a tremendous amount of materials to build.

Will we just receive gold compensation as has been previously hinted, a redeemable for actual building, or the necessary resources to build them? Otherwise we must start crafting ingots, stone, etc because we’ll have to build them all over again.

1 minute ago, Farrago said:

@admin or @Ink

Any word on building transfer, specifically shipyards and workshops? They took a tremendous amount of materials to build.

Will we just receive gold compensation as has been previously hinted, a redeemable for actual building, or the necessary resources to build them? Otherwise we must start crafting ingots, stone, etc because we’ll have to build them all over again.

It was not hinted, it was clearly stated you get a gold refund. And yeah I'd strongly suggest you use this weekend to just create the resources. It's not that expensive.

Edited by Quineloe

5 hours ago, admin said:

Due to the fact that all your assets from global will be transferred to redeemables on the Caribbean, you can already start a character or use an old one on the Caribbean Server formerly known as PVP EU. All your assets will come to redeems once merge is done and you will have some head start to get used to a new place ( +pick a name, nation etc). 

Okay so question about this. On Global (main account) I have a Danish character. On what is now Caribbean (played a week or so) I have a Dutch Character. Is everything from that Global account transferring over to the Dutch character when merger happens?

51 minutes ago, Quineloe said:

In navigation it was countered by being able to figure out your current position.

The wake was sighted using a sextant and compared to the ship's compass heading.

Somehow I doubt a few degrees of navigation error would cause a mass exodus from the game. Let's not be dramatic. The game had the highest player numbers back before there was even a protractor, when 'eyeball' navigation had the highest degree of error.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, _Alucard_ said:

No, there are no repairs in capitals. Only those sold by players.

You might want to check any of the capitals on the map, between November 1st and now.

• Capital cities now supply repairs (including Shroud Cay), repair crafters can increase their profit by supplying repairs to free towns. Apologies for the inconveniences dear repairs crafters.

16 minutes ago, Davos Seasworth said:

Okay so question about this. On Global (main account) I have a Danish character. On what is now Caribbean (played a week or so) I have a Dutch Character. Is everything from that Global account transferring over to the Dutch character when merger happens?

From what admin and ink have said, your Caribbean server character will get all the redeemables, no matter what nation it is. They have said you could even delete your Caribbean server character if you wanted to change the name, because the redeemables will be there until you use them. 

Once again I'll say it - this game needs variable wind and sea states with the direction you are going. Capsized by bracing the yards - well my first question would be what was the wind conditions and how much sail were they carrying.

Something like @Seraphic Radiance suggestion with 3-4 different wind states (leaving out the really light conditions).  Good reason to shorten sail. Plus damage for carrying too much sail - I read accounts of ships getting caught because a top mast carried away (ie; USS Essex). Also it was much easier to maneuver with the courses furled - as @maturin noted you can sustain mast damage sailing backwards at full sail (because of the way the courses are rigged this is problematic).

Now that you have sail area to hull ratios modeled in order to get the most out of it bring in variable winds - this will further differentiate ships even within the same rate. US  ships were notoriously over canvased for example. There's your capsize risk - carrying too much sail for the conditions.

Lastly please add ship drafts - I know hard to code but it would be a nice feature. :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Quineloe said:

It was not hinted, it was clearly stated you get a gold refund. And yeah I'd strongly suggest you use this weekend to just create the resources. It's not that expensive.

Okay. I did not see when the definitive answer was given. Thanks.

Does anyone recall the “recipes” (ie the quantity of mats) that one needs for a workshop and a level 1, 2, and 3 shipyard? It’s been a long time.

I fear that adding extra combo books can make training new players even harder. It took me 6 months to get all combo books. It's insane that in order to give a new player even chance against an old player he needs to grind for half a year...

Its ok on OW, however it's a real issue in PB. 

3 hours ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

Khreayt.jpg

Can someone please explain what is happening in this picture, I keep seeing it being posted up but quite frankly it is ridiculous without the full context. The arrows in the river are they supposed to be wind or current, because if its wind then why is it changing as you go through the channel. To me it looks more like how current would behave in a restricted channel.

What the picture does not show is where the wind is coming from. You also note at one stage they are using an anchor to swing with no sails up. These may all be feasible maneuvers in a real ship but this is not possible in NA, so I do not know why it keeps getting posted. 

2 hours ago, Quineloe said:

Frankly if Leeway just means you constantly have to adjust course, expect player numbers to drop again.

In battle !? I am pretty sure it is in battle.

In OW you already get 4º declination on a dead reckoning btw.

19 hours ago, Archaos said:

Can someone please explain what is happening in this picture, I keep seeing it being posted up but quite frankly it is ridiculous without the full context. The arrows in the river are they supposed to be wind or current, because if its wind then why is it changing as you go through the channel. To me it looks more like how current would behave in a restricted channel.

What the picture does not show is where the wind is coming from. You also note at one stage they are using an anchor to swing with no sails up. These may all be feasible maneuvers in a real ship but this is not possible in NA, so I do not know why it keeps getting posted. 

The wind is coming from the left-hand side of the picture, and the half-fletched arrows represent tidal current. The ship is painstakingly working through an estuary, with wind not much stronger than the tide.

23 hours ago, admin said:

It will make ships with huge sail power to hull ratios  (like surprise, rattlesnake) bad in holding the course and bad in chasing, but great in brawling (amazing turning)
Alternatively ships with lower sail power to hull ratios (like uss constitution) great in holding the course = chasing and running (not so good turning). 

So yet another nerf to the constitution, which handled better than almost any other frigate of her time. When I was in the navy I had the pleasure of sailing her. Your in game representation is pathetic compared to the real article. I think you are trying hard but completely missing the mark.

the Connie was modeled using the same design principles of the Yankee clippers who had the extra topsails to compensate for not as much mainsail area. This made them the fastest and most Mobile ships on the seas in their time. This is where your sail area calculations are completely wrong. You may as well remove the us ships from game if you aren't going to do them justice. @admin

your fancy sail calculations also do not account for game balance. You need to have all ships of a particular class balanced against each other. Each 4th rate should have a reasonable ability to defeat any other 4th rate. Same for the other ship classes. With all of the nerfs to the Connie maneuverability and due to your flawed calculations, and her being so undergunned compared to the others, what are you planning to do to balance her vs the other 4th rates? Before you took away her maneuverability, she has that over the others. Now she's got nothing. Are you finally going to correctly classify her a 5th rate? Because after this next patch, she's going to be lucky to be able to compete against them. 

Edited by Valentine Karrde
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Valentine Karrde said:

So yet another nerf to the constitution, which handled better than almost any other frigate of her time.

I don't recall a single compliment ever specifically paid to Constitution's handling. On the other hand, Bainbridge did try to bribe a fellow captain $5,000 to let him take President instead.

The ship was undoubtedly well-handled in combat, but that's something quite different from design. Handiness was certainly not one of the design priorities.

When I was in the navy I had the pleasure of sailing her. Your in game representation is pathetic compared to the real article. I think you are trying hard but completely missing the mark.

Well the digital version can set more than her topsails, so that's a little less pathetic. She's just been robbed in the speed department, for balance reasons (one wonders where that leaves Wasa...).

the Connie was modeled using the same design principles of the Yankee clippers who had the extra topsails to compensate for not as much mainsail area.

This is where your sail area calculations are completely wrong.

Not really, her rig was fairly proportionate. Not sure what you mean there.

Of course, the sail area calculations are misleading. Surprise had the good fortune to be modeled by the devs in a sail configuration fit for light winds. Trincomalee has a sailplan for a slightly stronger breeze. But of course both real ships could adopt both configurations at will, and swap between them in a few minutes. Which would have a huge impact on the game as currently coded.

Smaller vessels will almost always have the higher sail area: displacement ratio, however. (And that's not what determines leeway.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hethwill said:

In OW you already get 4º declination on a dead reckoning btw.

What does that mean?

I have no idea about battle. I doubt it was that relevant, given I've never read about it having any noteworthy impact in any small or large scale battle.

20 minutes ago, Quineloe said:

What does that mean?

I have no idea about battle. I doubt it was that relevant, given I've never read about it having any noteworthy impact in any small or large scale battle.

Say you trace a protractor beam from Coquibacoa to Les Cayes and you religiously follow it. The end position will be aproximately 4º off.

The longer the more aproximate the deviation.

Leeway in battle, that's what we getting now :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EliteDelta said:

From what admin and ink have said, your Caribbean server character will get all the redeemables, no matter what nation it is. They have said you could even delete your Caribbean server character if you wanted to change the name, because the redeemables will be there until you use them. 

Okay cause I tried deleting my character on EU server but couldnt. So all redeemables will be linked not to that character but our steam profile is what I am getting. 

@admin @Ink to redeem the cannons on my ships for the merger would I have to unload my ships?

Edited by Davos Seasworth