Game-Labs Forum
Iroquois Confederacy

Map of Reinforcement Zones

Concerning safe-zones specifically, reducing their number / size is definitely something to consider.

I like that they are used for protected ship building - it is better to have your enemies flee based on your actual prowess rather than their imagined difficulty in replacing their vessel. A simple change to make the safe-zones less useful would be to make all capitals no longer consume foreign trade goods, pushing treasure fleets to operate in more interesting waters.

Speaking more generally, @z4ys brings up a good point - the best content in this game (sometimes the only content) is PVP fights. So we should scrutinize any mechanics that discourage or outright prevent those fights. Among some players there is a culture of "avoiding pvp" and we need to challenge that and replace it with the culture of "pvp is fun."

Part of the problem may be that we captains as a whole are too loss-averse. My friend crafts ships and has a spreadsheet for pricing - when you look at a tool like that, you can see that ships really don't cost a lot to make. Most players don't know or care how much things cost and probably assume that everything is super expensive.

Some of you guys have discussed "Ship Buy Contracts," a feature that would have lots of positive consequences. One of those might be increased knowledge of prices among ship-buyers as well as greater flexibility of prices.

• Like 5

Guys just a Question.

But is there actually anyone here Defending Reinforcement Zones???

You keep talking to each other how to reduce Reinforcement Zones or how to get People out of them.

Thing is. There is Nobody left to get out of there lol xD

Dont you guys notice that your effectively just talking with yourselves here????

With all the nerfing and making the game harder at what point do you think it will become so unappealing to new players and old. Those who say yes to this kind of proposal obviously are counted among the skilled, belong to a large or capable nation or lucky to have a good ping. If you want PvP La Tortue was the place to be this wipe so hardly a lack of content down there. So instead of trying to kill of newb zones as I stated earlier basic ships are all that can or should be craftable in this area leaving those who want better still prone to trade line attacks.

@Aziz - Why do you consider the following "Newbie Zones"?

Louisiana - (Literal opposite end of the map of the starting point for this faction.)
Mexico - (Entirely separate area from their starting area.)
Georgia - (Helps to cover the entire faction's map.)
North Carolina - (Helps to cover the entire faction's map.)
The Cays
Saint Lucia
Belize - (Literally one of the major hubs the more advanced British players established for themselves.)
The Western tip of Cuba

27 minutes ago, Jarlath Morrow said:

Speaking more generally, @z4ys brings up a good point - the best content in this game (sometimes the only content) is PVP fights. So we should scrutinize any mechanics that discourage or outright prevent those fights. Among some players there is a culture of "avoiding pvp" and we need to challenge that and replace it with the culture of "pvp is fun."

Heh, you aren't going to generate a "culture of pvp is fun" by curbstomping casuals who are just trying to figure out their new ship or move some logs while they make dinner.  Instead of trying to figure out ways to make people more vulnerable to the ganks, lets give them a reason to go out looking for action. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

Heh, you aren't going to generate a "culture of pvp is fun" by curbstomping casuals who are just trying to figure out their new ship or move some logs while they make dinner.  Instead of trying to figure out ways to make people more vulnerable to the ganks, lets give them a reason to go out looking for action. 

My post makes more sense if you read it in full. I specifically say that it is good that safe-zones are used for ship building (and ship testing). It is quite obvious how I feel, so if you missed it you must be working quite hard to not understand.

Feel free to let me know which parts of it you agree with and/or disagree with. It's rather hard to discern from the curt reply.

12 minutes ago, Jarlath Morrow said:

Feel free to let me know which parts of it you agree with and/or disagree with. It's rather hard to discern from the curt reply.

I disagree with the part about considering reducing the reinforcement zone.  (It's already been reduced once.)  I agree with trying to make pvp fun instead of gankery. 

To me the part about being "loss-averse" is just that right now most of us don't have much to gain from risking good ships.  You're just sheep fattening the wolves.  When there's an objective I'll happily bring the good stuff out, but I'm not going to sail out just to get sunk with nothing at stake. 

• Like 1

@Iroquois Confederacy  I agree with the 2nd image of reinforcement zones. PS, you were a bitch to catch when you were privateering around Mort on Global server :@

@Barbancourt (rownd) You are from BORK and all you want is safe areas. Maybe you should give the PvE servers a try, you might find that its the server just for you.

Edited by Son of a gun

12 minutes ago, Son of a gun said:

@Iroquois Confederacy  I agree with the 2nd image of reinforcement zones. PS, you were a bitch to catch when you were privateering around Mort on Global server :@

@Barbancourt (rownd) You are from BORK and all you want is safe areas. Maybe you should give the PvE servers a try, you might find that its the server just for you.

PvE Server is broken and Ignored by the Devs.

The New Nations even Months after Update dont even have a Port lol

I would actually play there if the Devs would bother with the Server and make it an actual PvE Server.

Right now its a PvP Server with PvP disabled. Lol

Not that it really matters.

This Game is dead.

PvP Servers will be merged in a last attempt to squeeze out a bit more time for the game before its so empty that everyone else leaves as well.

And after that it will likely limp about as an corpse for 1 or 2 years before it dissappears.

Not as dead as it was when I started a year ago  :P

We had a lot of fun in the summer for a while.  There just weren't enough players to keep the momentum up, and the port battles were mostly a farce. 

Edited by Barbancourt (rownd)

I don't mind reinforcement zones, or their size, but I'd do one of two things: Make port production and potential port pricing scale with distance from protected areas to encourage traders and crafters to get out of the protected zones. Or two, make protected zones only work for ships up to 250 crew.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

So, how does, say, all of Louisiana being protected help keep French players from quitting the game?  How does a solid chunk of Mexico being protected help keep Spanish players from quitting the game?

Size of zone is only one aspect.  I think 35km diameter is too big, but I also think there are too many zones.  Do you think the size and quantity are both appropriate?

My suggestion would be that only the regional capital would  get a reinforcement zone.

And this for a maximum of 3 provinces.

So, your own home region has a reinforcement zone around the capital of that zone, and the 2 first provinces you capture also.

after that, no more reinforcement zones.

• Like 1

The problem with safezones is they're PVP free zones and they take up too many ports. New players don't need 30 ports to pull missions from. PVP free areas don't add anything to the game, hence everyone hating them and wishing they we're smaller/took up less space OR were for below a certain rank

The funny thing is you can always PVE anywhere, nothing is stopping you. But we have giant swaths of areas where PVP isn't allowed anymore. That's why its a problem, you're gimping the sandbox for a small number of people.

I'll say it again, new players don't need 30 protected ports to pull missions from. If your arguing for the PVE side, we already have a PVE server and look how well that worked.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson
  • Like 1

The Russian empire, Polish and Prussian nations have proved that greenzones are pointless....

REMOVE ALL GREENZONES...

No nation "needs" a greenzone! Greenzones don't do anything apart from build lazy players who loose there shit the first time they fight another player....

The first image is a joke! Entire regions are waisted, the Belize greenzone is HUGE only protecting one port!!! 

Either remove greenzone all together or push them back to single ports not entire regions.... 

• Like 1

Just now, monk33y said:

The Russian empire, Polish and Prussian nations have proved that greenzones are pointless....

REMOVE ALL GREENZONES...

No nation "needs" a greenzone! Greenzones don't do anything apart from build lazy players who loose there shit the first time they fight another player....

The first image is a joke! Entire regions are waisted, the Belize greenzone is HUGE only protecting one port!!! 

Either remove greenzone all together or push them back to single ports not entire regions.... 

So much this. A single, large capital safe zone for new players and for anyone to generally be safe is enough. No nation needs a dozen safezones, they just get in the way of the game. (large scale 18th century nations at war)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

So much this. A single, large capital safe zone for new players and for anyone to generally be safe is enough. No nation needs a dozen safezones, they just get in the way of the game. (large scale 18th century nations at war)

Especially with a new population boost from the merge. We need more ports not less!!!! Nations like gb, usa, France are ridiculous with 10+ ports Un capturable. The greenzone ports should not be included in the conquest leaderboard Aswell!!!

Just now, monk33y said:

Especially with a new population boost from the merge. We need more ports not less!!!! Nations like gb, usa, France are ridiculous with 10+ ports Un capturable. The greenzone ports should not be included in the conquest leaderboard Aswell!!!

Its a gimped sandbox. It doesn't even help new players, new players stay near their capital, there's no reason to leave that's where everything is.

Having all these safezones is an overreach, sacrificing PVP and RVR for people who don't even need the space. No one wins.

• Like 1

Why? New players and people who want to PVE safely only need a single port to pull missions from. Why are we sacrificing so much space out of the sandbox? It's not good for the game.

FRQdJ0L.jpg

7 hours ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

Belize - (Literally one of the major hubs the more advanced British players established for themselves.)

The thing is if you did not have a safe area around Belize then it would be almost impossible to trade into there. I regularly run trade ships into there and I quite frequently get caught even with the current size of the safe zone. I can avoid the hunters sometimes by changing my route and how I approach but if there was no safety zone the hunters would sit directly outside the port so it would not matter which direction I came from. In the end it would not be worth running into there so I would stop. No blockade was ever so tight that you could actually intercept every ship that entered or left a port, you have to give the blockade runners a chance.

This is a classic case of me taking the risk by trading from outside the safe zone going into a safe zone yet the hunters do not want to try and find me, they want to wait just outside my destination port and intercept me there. It is just laziness on their part, 95% of the voyage I have done is in unsafe area yet they complain because once I get into the safe area they can no longer attack me. As I said there is a certain hunter who has caught me a few times and the encounters between us have been good natured. Because I have a chance of sucessfully evading him I carry on doing the runs which in turn gives him opportunity to catch me again.

And please do not say that defense fleets or ships should come out and chase the hunters away because I have already explained what happens there and people are not going to waste time in a fruitless chase.

As to the other nations additional safe zones, I would assume something similar but I have not really used them.

I'd suggest the following, by an example:

• Restrict "Safe Zones" to Province Capitals.
  • Maximum 3 "Safe Zones" allowed (or 4, if you don't count the nation capital)
  • Any other provinces captured after this will not get any "Safe Zone" anymore. (maximum of 3 (or 4) is reached)
  • This gives a sense of strategy to the conquering of provinces.
  • Order of conquest determines which Provincial Capitals becomes "Safe Zones"
  • The whole province needs to be in your nations hands before the capital becomes a "Safe Zone"
  • When a port is lost in a province with a "Safe Zone", that "Safe Zone" disappears until the port can be recaptured and the whole province is under 1 nations control again.

Example below for the Dutch Nation:

Willemstad is the main Capital, so it's a safe zone.

• When the whole province of Caracas is conquered, the port Caracas becomes a "Safe Zone".
  • When the whole province of Cumana is conquered, the port Cumana becomes a "Safe Zone".
  • When a port in any of these provinces is lost, the Capital loses the "Safe Zone" until the port is recaptured.

bTQuOiw2.jpg