Game-Labs Forum

Most Powerful Seafaring Nations in the Game's Timeline

Haratik

5 hours ago, Custard said:

Off topic

I wouldn't be surprised if the French, Dutch or British East India Companies would come somewhere on that list they may not have fielded SOLs but they had a ridiculous amount of armed ships.

I was actually looking up the "Bombay Marine", as the British East India Company's naval arm came to be known as.  Not much to be read initially, but it was, in its own right, a separate navy.

6 hours ago, Custard said:

Off topic

I wouldn't be surprised if the French, Dutch or British East India Companies would come somewhere on that list they may not have fielded SOLs but they had a ridiculous amount of armed ships.

I know the Dutch Company's fielded ships at least upwards to 68 guns (Pieter Paulus, 68 gun, 1800/1815) if not more, they had the dual purpose of being merchantman in the first place and local navy as second. 

1 minute ago, pietjenoob said:

I know the Dutch Company's fielded ships at least upwards to 68 guns (Pieter Paulus, 68 gun, 1800/1815) if not more, they had the dual purpose of being merchantman in the first place and local navy as second. 

At Royal Maritime Museum Greenwich I have seen plans of the EIC dockyards at London and they dwarf the Royal Dockyards (cannot remember year) and I distinctly remember a large sign saying how much larger and more powerful the Dutch company was. Had no idea they built ships that big though thanks.