Game-Labs Forum

Important: Server status announcement

very good news, coming from a global player. I like the return to old fashioned timers with a good catch. This adds a completely new level of strategy in regards to instant port timers so be sure to keep pb ships in your valuable ports. I for one won't be using that 1 time teleport just in case I need to move something immediately for an instant pb. I am glad to hear that there is a merge and it will be good to see some old faces. 

Looks like naval action has a future, about bloody time.

The addition of the new nations on the old eu server, have proved that safezones should be removed along with npc Capitals. @admin

Either removed all safezones or add a safezone for all nation's. (look at where the new nations picked there home and add a safezone there) 

Personally I vote for all safezones being removed.

Keep the currant pb warning system..

4 hours ago, Tiedemann said:

Some nations/clans in the past misused the defence timers and set them to times in the middle of the night, just because they knew their enemies would struggle to attack at those times. In the beginning they stated that they had us and aussie time zone players etc, but the pbs where never defended. This happened the last time, I'm not making it up. And in the end all nations used this "game mechanic".. 
I vote that if some clans misuse the defence timers systematically and do not defend when they are attacked, they should lose the right to set defensive timers!

I have seen this argument against PB timers lots of times, but at the end of the day if everyone decides to use this tactic then all you will have are empty port battles and you can only blame the players for that not the game mechanics. As long as one side sets their PB's in their prime time and defends them and every port they capture is set to that time then they would eventually take over the map from people who just set PB's at times their enemy would struggle.

Although I agree that misuse of defence timers should carry a penalty, how would you define misuse? If my clan had a PB defence and for some reason we could not get enough players together to defend, should the few that can make it show up and lose their ships or do you just let the port go without a fight? There may be some reasons why a port is given up uncontested that are nothing to do with the timer being set at a time you are unlikely to attack.

Big news! Us on Global will have to consider how we will jump.

I have few opinions on the matter, except to say that I would prefer the keeping of the 22 hour port battle delay so defenders have a chance to deploy.

There have been other suggestions that would provide instant PVP that I think we should peruse before going back to same-day port battles:

• How about the one wherein you buy flags to raid a port - perhaps for that day's tax income or the special resource within?
  • I liked the old pvp events, those were fun for getting people together to arrange fights.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cornelis Tromp said:

So they are basically gambling with the "fun'of 400-500 for the benefit of 100-150. Curious how this will play out.

No, I think they are gambling that this might be a success and that it may go some way to getting people to return to the game, because at the end of the day if all you are going to have playing this game in the long term is 400-500 people then they may as well stop development and consign the game to the bin.

Notice when I try to go on the EU Caribbean server that it pops up with a different name and nation than the one I am in on the Global.  Am concerned that if I accepted that name and nation which I don't want to do, I would lose all redeemables and equipment promised by devs for the new server.  Can one change the name and nation on the forthcoming Caribbean server to a different name and still get one's redeemables and equipment from Global?  It would be nice if I could finally change my name but keep the nation I am with currently.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Comeonche said:

Nightflips destroyed the game on the old global server..... It forced lots of players to leave the game. And you want to put it back!!!!! It's probably the biggest error you could do!!!! 

What nightflips, you set your port defence times to your prime time, how can you be nightflipped then?

5 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

It looks you dont have played when we had timers.

Players do whatever they can to win. Mechanics as timers gives them the tools to f.uck others fun.

This is what I am saying, if all players just set out to spoil others fun then there is no hope for the game. On Global server there were some well contested port battles even with no set timers, but the biggest problem was lack of population. These people could have chosen not to fight and done night/work flips but many did not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Archaos said:

What nightflips, you set your port defence times to your prime time, how can you be nightflipped then?

Only if every single port has the paid-for defence timer.

To put that in perspective, that's 2.4 - 7.5 mil daily to avoid getting flipped. And on top of that, in the current state, 7 out of the 11 nations operate at a loss, 2 just about break even, and 2 make a decent profit.

And even then, let's look at the creme de a creme at the present, Sweden, making 39 mil per week. Their cost if they want to avoid getting nightflipped? 37 mil. That's right folks, if you're at the absolute top of the server making a massive profit, you'd might just barely break even.

Enjoy the PvE grinding folks :D

Just now, Aegir said:

To put that in perspective, that's 2.4 - 7.5 mil daily to avoid getting flipped. And on top of that, in the current state, 7 out of the 11 nations operate at a loss, 2 just about break even, and 2 make a decent profit.

And even then, let's look at the creme de a creme at the present, Sweden, making 39 mil per week. Their cost if they want to avoid getting nightflipped? 37 mil. That's right folks, if you're at the absolute top of the server making a massive profit, you'd might just barely break even.

Maybe those clans which spend more then they make should drop a few ports. It would allow the Global people to have outposts of their own and would make more sense. 1 clan shouldn't really be able to hold 40 ports unless they are willing to pay for it.

• Like 3

so question for you Dev.. since you didn't seem to post it or said anything about it~~ so for the people who have other charcter on the same steam/account in the Carribean server already but mainly play the Global one what will happen there? will they both still be playable since of the merge or?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aegir said:

I am not sure how you are working your figures out but if you are going to have to pay 7.5 million a day to prevent ports getting flipped out of hours then you must as a clan own 75 ports. If a single clan owns that many ports then maybe it shouldnt be easy for them to defend all. So in that case it would be a good thing to allow other clans have some ports and prevent any one clan becoming too big.

A single person can generate over a million in a couple of PvE battles, which would be enough for 10 ports. If a port is losing you money, why bother to defend it unless it has some strategic advantage for you. Let someone else take it and lose money, whichever way you look at it it should be the important ports that will always be defended and that is where the real end game RvR will occur.

8 hours ago, Aziz said:

I'm not sure what your asking here from me, maybe because the answer is simple. People don't want to grind up again that's one main reason many from global have not moved across. Or perhaps there's other reasons like ping time.
As for OW states who cares if they get bolstered numbers or not if they dont nothing changes for them if they do maybe they can take back a bit of land they lost. Whatever. What is more damaging a few people merging across sporadically or a whole server getting dumped onto an existing ecology ?

Its going to be chaos and catastrophe and the game is going to suffer many casualties.

I am wondering about the possible ways to implement a server hopping mechanic, looking mainly at the technical sides. Also, I think by shutting down one server and having most of the players somewhat content with the move the dev saves on expenses.

So, if I understand you correctly you want an option that lets you log on to the EU or US server. There are two ways I see how that works.

1) the characters on those servers would be different, the actions on one would not affect another (i.e. you can grind rank to admiral on global and still be a midshipman on EU). This would be the same as just creating another character on the other server now.

2) The characters are linked like in Warthunder(i.e. I can fly my F86 on Asia, EU or US server… it's the same plane). This could cause some state conflicts for OW from what I can see, for example on EU you are a Dutch and have docked in Cartagena, when you jump on Global Cartagena is a pirate and if you are a Dutch then you wouldn't be able to get in. It would creates way for people to exploit, like currently you know the pirates have a port at Port de paix, but the coalition would stop them from easily moving ships into that port; if they can hop on to EU and sail there and hop back then wouldn't that be an exploits? 

Of course the devs can just keep track of whatever happens on both server and push any changes from one to the other effectively making any changes on one server mirrors the other. But that would just create overheads and redundancy to deal with.

47 minutes ago, monk33y said:

Either removed all safezones or add a safezone for all nation's. (look at where the new nations picked there home and add a safezone there) 

Personally I vote for all safezones being removed.

I second for removing all safe zones. At the very least, I would like to see the safe zones at KPR and Mortimer Town removed, as it was the developer's intentions to focus PvP at the center of the map.

44 minutes ago, Doug Maoz said:

• I liked the old pvp events, those were fun for getting people together to arrange fights.

I would love to see the PvP events come back. They were great fun and promised PvP no matter how many players were online. My suspicion is the events will return after the next wipe. This is due to the fact that @admin stated that many rewards (such as ship paints) cannot be added to the game without a server wipe.

34 minutes ago, Madkitty said:

so question for you Dev.. since you didn't seem to post it or said anything about it~~ so for the people who have other charcter on the same steam/account in the Carribean server already but mainly play the Global one what will happen there? will they both still be playable since of the merge or?

All your assets (including exp) from global will be turned into redeemables and awarded to your EU account

Allowing the owner of a port to dictate when they can be attacked and limiting it to a 2-3 hour window, which they of course can set for the middle of the damn night when the attacking nation players might attack is nonsense. In the real world the attacker chooses when and where to attack and the defender just has to try to predict and prepare.  

If latency on the "carribean" server is as bad as it has always been when playing from CONUS it most certainly will, not be enjoyable for half of the globe. Wont continue to play a game where half my broadsides miss because the ship I am shooting at isn't really where it is on my monitor.

• Like 1