Game-Labs Forum
admin

Legends Skill Challenge

4 hours ago, Liq said:

That event should be called "King of PvE" as it is at the moment - If you're a tryhard and want to get up in the leaderboard, just queue up when there is noone else queueing (Or in a ship barely anyone else has) and get easy PvE kills - IMO for future events, only battles with a certain amount of players in should count - Maybe 5+

You are correct in what you say, there are a few things wrong with the event that need fixing.

I cannot really be called skill when it relies on luck. I would not say I am a good PvP'er but I have managed to get on the leader board so far because I happened to do a lot of matches during quiet periods when usually it was only one human player on each side and the rest AI. I have also been lucky that I have been in a part upgraded Frigate and for a lot of the battles the Frigate has been the biggest ship matched against Renommees and Cerbs with a AI frigate.

Another thing wrong with the event is that it shares the same queue with the normal play so you can be up against people with different goals. Had a battle last night where the single human player on the other team went for the circle cap rather than fight. At first I thought why is he wasting one of his tries by not trying to get kills, but now I realize he may have done some damage and realized there was no other way he was going to win the match so may as well maximize his points by stealing the win.

Also they should not allow groups of players to enter event together. For a start it gives additional target for them to get kills from thus giving at least one of the group possibility of getting 6 kills rather than 5 from a single match. I was in a match today where 2 human players were up against 2 who were in a group, the biggest issue was the matchmaking as the group players were both in Indefatigables while I was in a frigate and the other human player in my team was in a Cerb. To balance it up the computer had given us additional NPC but our biggest vessel was a Pirate Frigate. The match was 2 player Indefatigables, and NPC P.Frigate, Frigate and Essex against Player Frigate and Cerberus with NPC 2 P.Frigates and 2 Frigates. By no stretch of the imagination could that be called an even match. Most of my shots were bouncing off even at point blank range. There is no way I would class the Pirate Frigate as equivalent to an Indefatigable especially when they are AI. I guess in a way it was similar to how the Renommees and Cerbs felt when faced by my Frigate in earlier battles. BTW the players in the group were not even doing the event.

Overall I think the event is a good addition, but it needs tweaking as a competition so everyone has the same chance and wins are down to skill rather than luck of the draw.

15 minutes ago, Archaos said:

You are correct in what you say, there are a few things wrong with the event that need fixing.

I cannot really be called skill when it relies on luck. I would not say I am a good PvP'er but I have managed to get on the leader board so far because I happened to do a lot of matches during quiet periods when usually it was only one human player on each side and the rest AI. I have also been lucky that I have been in a part upgraded Frigate and for a lot of the battles the Frigate has been the biggest ship matched against Renommees and Cerbs with a AI frigate.

Another thing wrong with the event is that it shares the same queue with the normal play so you can be up against people with different goals. Had a battle last night where the single human player on the other team went for the circle cap rather than fight. At first I thought why is he wasting one of his tries by not trying to get kills, but now I realize he may have done some damage and realized there was no other way he was going to win the match so may as well maximize his points by stealing the win.

Also they should not allow groups of players to enter event together. For a start it gives additional target for them to get kills from thus giving at least one of the group possibility of getting 6 kills rather than 5 from a single match. I was in a match today where 2 human players were up against 2 who were in a group, the biggest issue was the matchmaking as the group players were both in Indefatigables while I was in a frigate and the other human player in my team was in a Cerb. To balance it up the computer had given us additional NPC but our biggest vessel was a Pirate Frigate. The match was 2 player Indefatigables, and NPC P.Frigate, Frigate and Essex against Player Frigate and Cerberus with NPC 2 P.Frigates and 2 Frigates. By no stretch of the imagination could that be called an even match. Most of my shots were bouncing off even at point blank range. There is no way I would class the Pirate Frigate as equivalent to an Indefatigable especially when they are AI. I guess in a way it was similar to how the Renommees and Cerbs felt when faced by my Frigate in earlier battles. BTW the players in the group were not even doing the event.

Overall I think the event is a good addition, but it needs tweaking as a competition so everyone has the same chance and wins are down to skill rather than luck of the draw.

I have had 2 matches that were ended to fast because of players capping early.  Even lost one because if it.  3 circles is a Joke and need to be removed  all people do is run to them if I get into a match with them. Just so I wont get kills and brag about it.

8 minutes ago, JobaSet said:

I have had 2 matches that were ended to fast because of players capping early.  Even lost one because if it.  3 circles is a Joke and need to be removed  all people do is run to them if I get into a match with them. Just so I wont get kills and brag about it.

Its even worse when they do it using up one of your 10 tries to get your score up in the event.

4 minutes ago, Archaos said:

Its even worse when they do it using up one of your 10 tries to get your score up in the event.

Yea that happen to me twice. When about 80 people on.  Was very uncool and they were happy about it, and bragged about doing it, just so i could not get kills.

Edited by JobaSet

10 minutes ago, JobaSet said:

Yea that happen to me twice. When about 80 people on.  Was very uncool and they were happy about it, and bragged about doing it, just so i could not get kills.

I.  Know.  That.  Feeling.  :angry:

Speaking of that, there is one more problem people do not mention... for the small guy, or for anyone certain to not be able to get kills (or enough kills), the winning move is to make sure no-one else (friend or enemy) gets any kills.

Yep. It's great having events, buuuuuuut...

5 minutes ago, Galileus said:

Speaking of that, there is one more problem people do not mention... for the small guy, or for anyone certain to not be able to get kills (or enough kills), the winning move is to make sure no-one else (friend or enemy) gets any kills.

Yep. It's great having events, buuuuuuut...

Don't forget Forts taken your kills

For what it’s worth…

Take the “Legends Skill Challenge…” for what it is worth (Buffalo Springfield). I’ve had a great weekend with this new little mechanic addition. Yes, it’s a bit clunky, rough around the edges with not all things working as they should, but I’ve had so far, some fantastic battles and made dozens on new friends.

Yes, circles, FORTs, Rage Quitters, Care Bears, the odd dickless wonder and some others things that need a good tidy up with NA-L as a whole. Just don’t get too bogged down in the nitty gritty too soon and miss the fun. I’ve met and battled with loads of NA Captains that my only connection with was on the forum. Here I got to play with [PvP EU], PvE, Newbies and old NA players returning to give it a go. [PvP GLOBAL] was my only view into NA which seems so insular now…

My view into the NAVAL ACTION world just got a whole lot bigger…

So, like that girl at the school PROM she’s no Charlez Theron and never will be. But don’t be too over critical at first on the poor girl, or demand a decent payment or reward. Just go bounce around on it and have some fun… STOP being a PREMA DONNA

Yes, in time, mechanics, rules and structures will get done with the testing from our very passionate community. But for now, take it for what its worth and make sure you don't miss out on the fun…

Great work @admin & CREW

Norfolk

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, JobaSet said:

Don't forget Forts taken your kills

forts don't come up in the events. Since like 12am kiev time today.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

For what it’s worth…

Take the “Legends Skill Challenge…” for what it is worth (Buffalo Springfield). I’ve had a great weekend with this new little mechanic addition. Yes, it’s a bit clunky, rough around the edges with not all things working as they should, but I’ve had so far, some fantastic battles and made dozens on new friends.

What it is worth is another carb vs 4 frigs game, where the one player frig goes after me and I know I'm wasting my time and cannot get anything done. And simply quit, because as fun as sailing is, Im sure I'm getting screwed on "SKILL" (sorry for caps, need to fit all that cyanide somewhere) and on top of that will get barely enough silver to cover maintenance costs...

So sorry, I'm not going to be blushing with "at least we got something" if that something actually makes me play the game LESS.

Now, don't get me wrong - this is a testing stage, and testing I am. And I tested CRAP positive, and it needs to be worked on, and this is not a bad thing. Ain't gonna sugarcoat it though. It needs to change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Galileus said:

What it is worth is another carb vs 4 frigs game, where the one player frig goes after me and I know I'm wasting my time and cannot get anything done. And simply quit, because as fun as sailing is, Im sure I'm getting screwed on "SKILL" (sorry for caps, need to fit all that cyanide somewhere) and on top of that will get barely enough silver to cover maintenance costs...

So sorry, I'm not going to be blushing with "at least we got something" if that something actually makes me play the game LESS.

Now, don't get me wrong - this is a testing stage, and testing I am. And I tested CRAP positive, and it needs to be worked on, and this is not a bad thing. Ain't gonna sugarcoat it though. It needs to change.

Yea that the way it is for many, if I am only real player on my side ver 4 or 5, 1/2 are running while other 1/2 attack then they switch.  I gotten a lot better at taken the tops of mask off. Only bit of advice I can give you.  I only played with you a few times and think you were on my team the few times.

What boat are you in, if you are have silver(money issues). After the Navy Brig maybe mercury money should not be a problem. If it is they need to look into that.

Money is a problem because Im having fun with my Cerb, trying out different builds and its against current rules. As is, "skill" is getting bigger ship, because brackets for the Cerb are a mess. As long as there one frig in the q - might be Indef or Essex - no unrated are pulled and Im going against ships 3-4 positions above me. And in skill challenge that makes me a juicy free kill.

Enjoyed the challenge and seems to work well - looking forward to testing it out when all games are 25v25 :D. Although perhaps AI ship shouldn't give kills while we're testing it :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fellvred said:

Although perhaps AI ship shouldn't give kills while we're testing it :P

So that whoever has the biggest (unmatched) ship straight out wins? Tell me this is a joke.

So that whoever has the biggest (unmatched) ship straight out wins? Tell me this is a joke.

I don't understand this. I had a few battles in a brig against cerberus's. It is a bit a pain in the ass but in the end, the side with more (real) players  always won and not the one which had one more bigger ship. I think the balancer works quite good in terms of fair matchmaking of different ships (maybe scratch that, I somehow didn't read the problem you had when you were in a cerb an one other frigate was in the queue and you got matched with ships way stronger than you). But on the other hand you can have 7 unrated ships in the queue and one lonely SOL. And that SOL will only fight AI. Even a lonely heavy frigate wouldn't be matched against Mercuries and Navy Brigs, so he would have it easier too to get more kills.

If I really didn't understand your post and you already meant it that way, I apologies and I stand corrected :D

Edited by Cecil Selous

54 minutes ago, Galileus said:

no all I was saying is AI kills not counting for the event, everything else would be the same

Actually you are somewhat wrong. best results could be achieved in a carronade cutter. I ended in top 15 and briefly was in top 10. I would end up higher but i wasted 2 battles on fort map (fort stole all kills) but thanks to devs forts were switched off immediately.

(you were right about one thing - that you had better chance against bots - but its an unsolveable evil at this stage but it will be solved going forward on launch)

• Like 2

Another problem i see with this challenge is that you have better chances of winning in bigger ships. I got 8 Kills in 3 battles with a Mercury (18pd carros) which is a good result, but in one battle there were 2 Cerberus on my side so it was really hard to get Kills there. Probably this becomes a smaller problem with more players because you have more targets then.

May i ask @Liq what ship you used for the challenge since youre on top?

1 minute ago, Havelock said:

May i ask @Liq what ship you used for the challenge since youre on top?

I got 2nd :D

was using a cerb - was pve for the most part though - Cerb is decent vs frigs and great vs 6th rates it sometimes it gets matched up against

BBZaVF2.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Fellvred said:

no all I was saying is AI kills not counting for the event, everything else would be the same

So anyone playing in lowest ship in the tier would be matched against players from top of the tier. For example a single cerberus needs to kill enemy Indef to get ANY kills counting on the scoreboard, while that same Indef has to kill the Cerberus. AI Indef and Cerb that are meant to balance it out do not count.

A player in much bigger, tankier, heavier, badder, meaner ship has to burp loud enough and he gets a point. His enemy needs to balance a dagger on his **** while riding a bicycle to get the same worth of a point. COME ON.

Is it just me, or is it just ridiculous? Balancer being what it is is understandable - though irritating - and is a necessary evil. Having the system actually go over the top of that and practically shit on certain subset of players? Where is that a good idea?

39 minutes ago, admin said:

Actually you are somewhat wrong. best results could be achieved in a carronade cutter. I ended in top 15 and briefly was in top 10. I would end up higher but i wasted 2 battles on fort map (fort stole all kills) but thanks to devs forts were switched off immediately.

Could be. A guy could potentially balance a dagger on his **** while riding a bicycle, while other guy could potentially fail to burp. Doesn't mean these are equal actions. As long as balancer works in tiers, there will be someone effed over. There will be people effed over any time of the week. Unless you're willing to admit cutter is the strongest ship that wins out with bigger ship even if both players have the same super captain god super captain level of skill. And then the guys who don't want to sail the cutter get screwed.

When you put a CS pro against a farmville veteran, sure the pro can win with a knife when the other has a rifle. Does not mean that it's a good idea for a balanced tournament. Nor that the weapons are the same value or strength.

End of the day, you will never get a fair and skill-based tournament as long as there can be such a big difference in ship class within it, that certain degree of skill is locked out due of the ship class picked by both players.

12 minutes ago, Galileus said:

So anyone playing in lowest ship in the tier would be matched against players from top of the tier. For example a single cerberus needs to kill enemy Indef to get ANY kills counting on the scoreboard, while that same Indef has to kill the Cerberus. AI Indef and Cerb that are meant to balance it out do not count.

A player in much bigger, tankier, heavier, badder, meaner ship has to burp loud enough and he gets a point. His enemy needs to balance a dagger on his **** while riding a bicycle to get the same worth of a point. COME ON.

Is it just me, or is it just ridiculous? Balancer being what it is is understandable - though irritating - and is a necessary evil. Having the system actually go over the top of that and practically shit on certain subset of players? Where is that a good idea?

Could be. A guy could potentially balance a dagger on his **** while riding a bicycle, while other guy could potentially fail to burp. Doesn't mean these are equal actions. As long as balancer works in tiers, there will be someone effed over. There will be people effed over any time of the week. Unless you're willing to admit cutter is the strongest ship that wins out with bigger ship even if both players have the same super captain god super captain level of skill. And then the guys who don't want to sail the cutter get screwed.

When you put a CS pro against a farmville veteran, sure the pro can win with a knife when the other has a rifle. Does not mean that it's a good idea for a balanced tournament. Nor that the weapons are the same value or strength.

End of the day, you will never get a fair and skill-based tournament as long as there can be such a big difference in ship class within it, that certain degree of skill is locked out due of the ship class picked by both players.

You have to also deal with real people Grieving.  My last 2 matches were beyond stupid,

1st match of the 2, every player turned and ran out of bounds on other side,(way before I could even get close to land a shoot) and then died only thing left was AI and only 2 of them. So that is all I got.

2 Match, One of my team mates Said we are capping, So you can't win the event, granted, it was one of the Players that ran out from before.

Not that I care it was Fun.  People that played early missed a lot of kills from forts being in the mix So that hurt me and a few others.  Next time if people will JUST play will be more enjoyable. Not that is was not.

On 12/8/2017 at 2:41 PM, admin said:

Lets test the mixed absolute skill challenge! 

PS. Duel tournament and group challenge next week

The group size for this is how many.