Game-Labs Forum

Training room

@admin

In order to let players learn how to properly manual sail, why not creating a room (accessible via port screen) when a player can take his equipped ship in the open sea alone with a small island in the middle (a very small one, I mean, just to give a point to orientate) so that everyone can just make their trials (and errors) and finally learn how to use (or master) manual sails?

It's an easy solution to implement (it could use a mission instance with no enemies) and it would be useful for players wanting to safely learn (or improve their) manual sailing skills.

If you want a realistic hardcore sailing game, that's OK, but at least let players train safely before engaging in dangerous activities.

Seems fair, no?

Edited by victor
  • Like 7

Even would suggest the duel room coming back; it is be far the best tool to school new players.
I do not think that including a duel room in NA wouldn't have any adverse effect on NAL.

Edited by sveno
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, sveno said:

Even would suggest the duel room coming back; it is be far the best tool to school new players.
I do not think that including a dual room in NA wouldn't have any adverse effect on NAL.

Duel room would be second step after an empty training ground to focus on sailing.

But - as far as I remember - in past duel rooms you lost your ship. This should not happen in a training room (ofc training duels would give no exp and gold) .

Edited by victor

25 minutes ago, sveno said:

If duelling with a friend, nothing stops you guys not killing each other.

Yet this would be just a workaround. And a duel is not the correct place to learn a proper and effective manual sailing. First come sailing, then combat. 

I would just like that the Devs implement a couple of simple mechanics that should allow newbies and unskilled people to train their skill with no rewards and no loss.

Is this actually too much or really shall I start thinking that the most of us Naval Action veteran testers are just a bunch of grumpy and sadistic elitists, trying to exclude others from their "hardcore" game?

The more skilled sailors in the sea the more OS PVP!

Edited by victor

9 minutes ago, TheHaney said:

Agree. It's annoying to have to spend the time to kill an AI ship in a mission prior to dueling/practicing maneuvers.

Tag an AI trader. He’ll run away immediately. Then you can practice. But I do agree we need a practice and duel room.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sveno said:

If duelling with a friend, nothing stops you guys not killing each other.

unless your the same nation and can't tag each other.  Sadly was a fun feature of being a pirate we could test and duel each other without chasing down some AI trader.

1 hour ago, TheHaney said:

Agree. It's annoying to have to spend the time to kill an AI ship in a mission prior to dueling/practicing maneuvers.

Trade ships run from you, but than you have to find one.

1 hour ago, Farrago said:

Tag an AI trader. He’ll run away immediately. Then you can practice. But I do agree we need a practice and duel room.

Not that I'm a fan of duel rooms as they need to be left in NAL type games, but this pretty much what we have to do.  Pirates did have a nice feature at one time we used to test stuff out side of mort instead of hunting for traders, but some folks abused that and got it removed again.  Which still didn't fix the other problem of tagging your buddy with a smuggler flag and forcing us to only be able to join the bad tag side of a fight.   That was abused more than the Pirates FFA fights was by what I seen and still being abused.

Though a training room could be nice to test new things out, but than we become more like NAL than a open world sandbox.  List me an open world sandbox game that also has dueling rooms?    Though honestly if you want to duel meet each other a high noon at the selected mutual location.

Just now, Sir Texas Sir said:

unless your the same nation and can't tag each other.  Sadly was a fun feature of being a pirate we could test and duel each other without chasing down some AI trader.

You didnt read the context - it was about the duel room which i think would be cool to have back in NA.

41 minutes ago, sveno said:

You didnt read the context - it was about the duel room which i think would be cool to have back in NA.

And I also said they don't belong in the open world sand box game, you want to duel meet at high noon some where in OW.   While a training room would be nice to set up, this is not WoT or other games like that, that would be more for something like NA:L if it got a clan war based set up.   Instead do what most us do when we want to train or test something.  Find a low level AI trade ship and just let it escape.

10 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Though a training room could be nice to test new things out, but than we become more like NAL than a open world sandbox.  List me an open world sandbox game that also has dueling rooms?    Though honestly if you want to duel meet each other a high noon at the selected mutual location.

I would not limit to sandbox but stick to MMO category and then World of warcraft - as far as PVP is concerned - has a duel feautre where you do not loose anything if you loose.

Giving the opportunity to learn is a good thing also in a sandbox (moreover if the combat requires skill as it happens in Naval Action).

Last and not least: since Devs are pulling out the card of realism so often to justify the difficult model of salinig, then let's be realist and honest with players until the end: no captain of the age of sails era learnt the basics of sailing by being sent out in a combat ship with no clue about how to do it.

So, call the traning room "Royal Naval Academy" and there you have helped players and respected realism.

Edited by victor

15 hours ago, victor said:

@admin

In order to let players learn how to properly manual sail, why not creating a room (accessible via port screen) when a player can take his equipped ship in the open sea alone with a small island in the middle (a very small one, I mean, just to give a point to orientate) so that everyone can just make their trials (and errors) and finally learn how to use (or master) manual sails?

It's an easy solution to implement (it could use a mission instance with no enemies) and it would be useful for players wanting to safely learn (or improve their) manual sailing skills.

If you want a realistic hardcore sailing game, that's OK, but at least let players train safely before engaging in dangerous activities.

Seems fair, no?

Anyone can do this in a combat order mission.

9 hours ago, Cortez said:

Well, besides that fact that before you have to waste 5-10 mins to reach the mission and 15-20 mins to dispatch the NPC.

If you want to train easier, the best thing is engaging a NPC trader, that flees ... but still you have to find him and so you waste time (not counting the risk of a gank).

But your post is perfect to confirm that the real problem of this game is the attitude of a lot of players that seem to want to make each and every part of this game to be a pain in the ass for casual players, without being aware that this way we are just diggin' our own graves.

So tell me please what is YOUR PROBLEM if they set up a training room? Does this affect your gameplay in some way?

Edited by victor

On 12/8/2017 at 10:06 AM, sveno said:

I do not think that including a duel room in NA wouldn't have any adverse effect on NAL.

On 12/8/2017 at 1:13 PM, Sir Texas Sir said:

4 hours ago, victor said:

So tell me please what is your problem if they set up a training room? Does this affect your gameplay in some way?

A separate no-consequence training instance.

I would appreciate an explanation how creating a testing (or training) instance or a casual duel instance would effect anyone else.  I imagine that the training instances would be accessed from any port; not linked to OW and when the players leave the instance they are back in the port.  Perhaps even allow option to join a friend, even if he/she was located in a different port and from a different nation.  Also there would be no ship, XP,  or gold loss/gain/damage so it would have no impact on the economy.

NAL is completely different than a training instance because NAL is has E-sport structure, it encourages competition and there is a potential for loss and gain.  

What harm would a segregated training environment have on NA?  How could it be abused?

Those who don't like it don't have to use it.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cortez said:

No, they can't. First of all they have a ship shooting at them that's usually tougher than them that cheats. I've had enemy npc shoot unlimited charge and double ball and pull maneuvers they shouldn't be able to and are faster and tougher than they would be in the players hands. Next, once you kill the npc, the battle ends in 15 minutes which isn't a lot of time to learn to manual sail etc. 

i agree with the OP and others, we need the old duel room back and NAL can go to hell as far as I may concerned.

Edited by Malachy

14 hours ago, victor said:

Well, besides that fact that before you have to waste 5-10 mins to reach the mission and 15-20 mins to dispatch the NPC.

If you want to train easier, the best thing is engaging a NPC trader, that flees ... but still you have to find him and so you waste time (not counting the risk of a gank).

But your post is perfect to confirm that the real problem of this game is the attitude of a lot of players that seem to want to make each and every part of this game to be a pain in the ass for casual players, without being aware that this way we are just diggin' our own graves.

So tell me please what is YOUR PROBLEM if they set up a training room? Does this affect your gameplay in some way?

Like you said, if you want to train, attack an NPC. And if someone wants PvP experience, he needs to buy/cratf a ship he can afford to lose, and attack a real player.

Duel rooms are an excuse, used for those who are lazy to sail in a sailing game.

8 hours ago, Cortez said:

Like you said, if you want to train, attack an NPC. And if someone wants PvP experience, he needs to buy/cratf a ship he can afford to lose, and attack a real player.

Duel rooms are an excuse, used for those who are lazy to sail in a sailing game.

Know what?

I think your whole reasoining about lazyness is just an excuse!

More likely you are just afraid that, if too many players can practice their skill in a training room, they become as skilled as you (assuming that you are a skilled PVPer) and so you will start sinking much more than now.

Edited by victor

18 minutes ago, victor said:

Know what?

More likely you are just afraid that, if too many players can practice their skill in a training room, they become as skilled as you (assuming that you are a skilled PVPer) and so you will start sinking much more than now.

I have often wondered this. When the old duel room was open, we had a lot more pvp than we do now. I know I used it to train in new tactics before I tried them in pvp. Except for the old die hard pvpers from back in my day, the skill levels of the newer guys pvping seem to be much lower than I remember. Practicing vs an npc is not even close to similar to what you will face vs a live player. Why do you think pve folks who fight npc all the time get chewed up so badly in pvp? 

No, there needs to be an option to test and train. Other than that, we won't have very many folks who are confident of fighting. I'd say 60 percent of the people I tag are terrified to fight me, and lack rudimentary sailing ability despite being max level,  and the remaining 40 percent are the same guys I fight every day. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Malachy said:

No, there needs to be an option to test and train. Other than that, we won't have very many folks who are confident of fighting.

Yes! Building confidence is key to getting players out on the waters.

I’ve always suspected that duel rooms, tournaments, etc were removed from Naval Action for fear they would take away sales of Legends.

My ideal would be the two functioned as a paid add on of the other and players could move back and forth between the two without having to switch games. I know from years building websites and retail/wholesale sales is you NEVER want your customer to leave your site or location. It’s that moment when the customer is most likely to slip away.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, victor said:

Know what?

I am not skilled at all. Point is, you can learn basics everywhere, you can not train in a simulator against a real enemy.