Game-Labs Forum
Norfolk nChance

Idea: Win the Boarding and receive the KILL credit

Have noticed now on a few occasions when I board and win the action doesn’t get credited to me. This I imagine still goes to the ship that dealt the higher damage.

Do you think the winning ship should get the KILL above a ship that may have dealt higher damage?

@Ink Is there a possible work around where you win the boarding you receive the KILL? If not do you think the wining side should get some more compensation other than just the assist as the damage dealt will be low by nature of the mechanic?

Norfolk

10 minutes ago, Norfolk nChance said:

Have noticed now on a few occasions when I board and win the action doesn’t get credited to me. This I imagine still goes to the ship that dealt the higher damage.

Do you think the winning ship should get the KILL above a ship that may have dealt higher damage?

@Ink Is there a possible work around where you win the boarding you receive the KILL? If not do you think the wining side should get some more compensation other than just the assist as the damage dealt will be low by nature of the mechanic?

Norfolk

The current mechanic solves the last shot problem existing in many games. If you demasted the ship, destroyed the crew for the ship but someone else boarded the ship, you will receive the credit even if someone had an easy boarding. We believe it is more fair. 

5 minutes ago, admin said:

The current mechanic solves the last shot problem existing in many games. If you demasted the ship, destroyed the crew for the ship but someone else boarded the ship, you will receive the credit even if someone had an easy boarding. We believe it is more fair. 

Does that mean the guy who kills most crew gets the kill? Or is hull dmg also a factor?

I think crew damage is taken into account. I seem to remember decrewing a much bigger ship (without doing any significant hull damage) and getting the kill even though another player boarded it.

Yep, got myself a kill from raking once or twice when someone boarded. And no, boarding should absolutely NOT be an auto-kill. You would promote people randomly ramming and boarding over people who spent a long time working on the guy. You would discourage using anything other than raw damage, because playing tactically would be susceptible to kill-stealing. Last of all, you would create a boarding domino, where it would be great to board the boarder, since it would be an easy kill steal.

All of that would be hugely fixed by removing the XP importance of kill tag, though.

@admin

OK I now understand, and can see why an automatic kill for a board win could be abused. Yes, it is fairer.

@Jon Snow lets go

I would thus interpret from @admin comment above that Hull Damage gives more than CREW Damage to the overall multiplier?

@JobaSet

Learn that lesson the hard way Bro…

3 hours ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Does that mean the guy who kills most crew gets the kill? Or is hull dmg also a factor?

It does mean that a guy who have damaged a ship more than others (damage includes everything: hull, sails, crew; also includes damage while boarding) gets the kill

@slik

This is me guessing, but as @Jon Snow lets gopointed out, and I’ve implied the question from @admin how much damage is created by killing crew?

I suspect HULL Damage to CREW Damage is quite a high ratio even though there is a lower limit of CREW size to sail away…

I’d guess if you’ve hit the hull only a couple of times it will still add more to the damage multiplier than perhaps killing all the CREW…

“The Damaged Created While Boarding is also interesting as I guess its very low apart from the EXTERNAL damage done by a team member. This will show up on the Ship [TOP LEFT] or right for enemy and your [OK] column (outside kills) as enemy killed crew.

Just finished a BATTLE which ended in two AIs boarding. From my view looking in. My guy was totally sunk (full Blue) for most of the BOARDING action? This mechanic shows there is a conflict or discrepancy between DAMAGED calculations received via INTERNAL boarding and external…

What would have happened if he’d won, with a sunken vessel?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1224048667

NnC.

1 hour ago, slik said:

It does mean that a guy who have damaged a ship more than others (damage includes everything: hull, sails, crew; also includes damage while boarding) gets the kill

Hey, thanks for answering. As Norfolk said its still very vague and hard to predict who will get the kill.

The formula for kill-calculation is something like this:

total "damage" = 100% hulldmg * X + 100% saildmg * Y + 100% crewkills * Z

Its nothing important, but maybe you have data what X,Y and Z are?

Edited by Jon Snow lets go

I would guesstimate it's more like 

total "damage" = (hull_dmg/total_hull + sail_dmg/total_sails + crew_dmg/total_crew) / 3

Would make much more sense anyhow, since Snow's XYZ version would either need to be ship-specyfic (making it useless as an equation) or would hugely vary in consequences from ship to ship.

Total damage is like: hull damage + sails damage + damage calculated from killed crew members related to the ship which they are (were) on

28 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Hey, thanks for answering. As Norfolk said its still very vague and hard to predict who will get the kill.

The formula for kill-calculation is something like this:

total "damage" = 100% hulldmg * X + 100% saildmg * Y + 100% crewkills * Z

Its nothing important, but maybe you have data what X,Y and Z are?

I cannot see why we need to know that information, if we know it will it not lead to people doing just enough damage to get the kill then moving onto another target. Early on in my playing time in the OW game when we had groups that would form to do AI missions there were some players who would get most kills nearly every battle, at first I thought they were just good players, but eventually I realized that even though they were good players, what they were actually doing was getting enough damage on the NPC's to get the kill, once they had that they left that one to be killed by others.

1 hour ago, Norfolk nChance said:

@slik

“The Damaged Created While Boarding is also interesting as I guess its very low apart from the EXTERNAL damage done by a team member. This will show up on the Ship [TOP LEFT] or right for enemy and your [OK] column (outside kills) as enemy killed crew.

While boarding you usually damage only crew, so it may look like low damage, but it's not

33 minutes ago, Galileus said:

total "damage" = (hull_dmg/total_hull + sail_dmg/total_sails + crew_dmg/total_crew) / 3

Yes this one is better. My version only works if you kill everything (all hull, all sails, every crewmember).

22 minutes ago, slik said:

Total damage is like: hull damage + sails damage + damage calculated from killed crew members related to the ship which they are (were) on

So destroying all hull and structure and is equal to destroying all sails?

Edited by Jon Snow lets go

10 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Yes this one is better. My version only works if you kill everything (all hull, all sails, every crewmember).

No. I didn't write hull = sails = crew. Each part has its own equivalent of HP.

29 minutes ago, slik said:

While boarding you usually damage only crew, so it may look like low damage, but it's not

hmmm... that's the problem I'm not sure it does and like @Galileus equations with weighted HPs the impact of (crew_dmg/total_crew) to the total damage is insignificant even with excessive crew loss.

11 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Also taking out the STERN and KILLING all or majority of the CREW can result in a KILL?

40 minutes ago, Archaos said:

I cannot see why we need to know that information

Ordinarily I'd absolutely agree, but if we all agree with @admin point of how to allocate the KILL in a POST boarding scenario there's a problem. The Issue is the Boarders Damage SCORE against a team mates HULL Damage SCORE. The Boarder will never get the KILL because the CREW count multiplier is very low in my opinion.

53 minutes ago, slik said:

No. I didn't write hull = sails = crew. Each part has its own equivalent of HP.

And can you tell us to which equivalents those parts count to the total HP?

3 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

hmmm... that's the problem I'm not sure it does and like @Galileus equations with weighted HPs the impact of (crew_dmg/total_crew) to the total damage is insignificant even with excessive crew loss.

It's not though. If it's the % method like I outlined, two good rakes or a whole set of boarding is as impactful as destroying ALL sides of armor and internal structure. If the ratio is indeed 1:1, the I would say a good rake is very likely to get the kill, unless someone actually focuses the rakee in a single 1 vs 1 and sinks them.