Game-Labs Forum
admin

Patch 14: Part 2 experimental patch increasing realism in ship behavior

2 hours ago, Jean Ribault said:

No, you can't access Admiralty at all on the PVE server for Prussia.  Because devs won't address the configuration of the server, or for that matter even condescend to discuss it.  For the "impossible" nations, the only way to get it is to conquer ports.  Since you cannot conquer ports on the PVE server, then you can never access Admiralty for the new impossible nations.  They obviously know this, but will not address it.  Unfortunately how would you know that if you are a new player starting out on that server?

The Devs don't want you doing PvE at all, haven't they made that clear enough?

A good game makes room for all aspects of game play and a great game encourages it.

Edited by Jesters-Ink
  • Like 1

Uggghhh! This sounds like such a bad idea.

Capturing (or defending) a port that you only need to raise a score so you can get a Victory Mark so you can get a good ship so that you can capture (or defend) another port so that you can get a Victory Mark so that you can capture (or defend) another port so that... you get the idea = GRIND

Capturing (or defending) ports that your nation needs because they add value to your gameplay = GAME

But alas... I’ll keep trying to find something to do in game for a while longer. But we’ve always said “don’t sail watch you can not afford to lose”. Now very few of us can afford to sail a first rate and can never hope to do so.

Swedes (and perhaps the Brits and Russians), please keep the rest of us updated on any changes in 1st Rate sailing characteristics. We’ll live vicariously through you!

Let's draw a tactic for the new rules of Victory marks.

First goal must be that the 3 leading nations get as few VMs as possible. Don't attack their ports then. They only get VMs if they join a PB. No attack, no defense. If they go into offensive try to intercept them in hostility grinding. No offensive PB no VMs for them.

Switching alts to one of the lead nation is no option, since they would not be allowed to enter PBs of this nation. Founding an alt clan in the enemy nation to organize your own PBs would probably be considered as alt exploit. That's why the alt has to stay in your nation and you have to switch your main account to the enemy. There you found a branch of your clan and organize enough PBs to get the VMs needed. Of course you have to deny access to all players of the enemy nation in lead, that they don't get what you want. After you have collected enough VMs and hopefully enough ports controlled by the branch of your clan you return home conquer all of your enemy ports and secure the map win for your nation for a while.

Result of the patch will be. RvR is destroyed completely.

That's not what I want. I want that devs open their eyes to realize that they cannot make a bad idea working without developing a complete new game around. If you love your Victory mark idea so badly throw away Naval Action and launch Victory Mark Action instead. Or even better. Sell Naval Action to a company which is convinced in the idea of this game and launch whatever you like. Then clients have the choice what they want to play.

Edited by Graf Bernadotte
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jesters-Ink said:

The Devs don't want you doing PvE at all, haven't they made that clear enough?

A good game makes room for all aspects of game play and a great game encourages it.

Yeah but you answer to a answer about PvE server not abaut PvP server so it makes no sense.

What shoud guys on PvE server do can you explain this?

I asked for Admirality on PvE server for the impossible Nations like Prussia/Russia and Poland. So Devs did not think about how a Player on PvE server gets to his Admirality when they dont have acces to a National Port of there Nation.  If a new Player will start on PvE-Server he will not know that there is a Admirality so i woud say next thing they dont think about.

16 hours ago, admin said:

We are interested in opinions of the supporting base but will push our design if we disagree with those opinions. 

ps legends is a side offshoot of a proven tested design (sea trials). NA is still a main game. 

@admin Pushing your own views on how the game should work when the majority of the players disagree, is a very good and sure way to drive your players away.

News Flash....a game needs players to work.

You might want to think about keeping the players that you have, which is laughably low in numbers, instead of kicking your player-base in the shins.

The concept that players of minor nations will work harder or together to defeat the top nation is a nice idea however false and can be a crushing blow to minor nations. Since new players or players not committed to their nation/clan will always take the fastest path of least resistance to get the best and biggest toys they want to play with as quickly as possible.

If the goal is to encourage players to leave reinforcement zones and participate in PBs and other actions then provide ship insurance like Elite Dangerous insurance cost depending on ship type,build and additional mods. Discounts to ship insurance and increases in rewards could be given to minor nations to help encourage players to join those nations and participate in port battles and other actions.

Also like strategy games the map needs to have winnable conditions similar perhaps to Hearts of Iron series. Each nation has different variable victory conditions not just conquest. And every action can help towards that victory and receive rewards. Traders supplying resources, PVP's taking out other nation trade ships and warships,port battles for control of more resources etc. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

Constitution-Java_battle_plan.png

and not once did a ship sail backwards in this fight....oh my...*sarcasm*

57 minutes ago, Yngvarr said:

and not once did a ship sail backwards in this fight....oh my...*sarcasm*

at 2.50 java gets stuck into wind (probably already lost some yards and sails backwards while tacking
please avoid talking about things you have no idea about. 

1 hour ago, Yngvarr said:

Pushing your own views on how the game should work when the majority of the players disagree, is a very good and sure way to drive your players away.

Game will be developed for new players from now on not for the existing playerbase.Just to let you know.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, admin said:

at 2.50 java gets stuck into wind (probably already lost some yards and sails backwards while tacking
please avoid talking about things you have no idea about. 

And once again admin decides to not answer any important question or concern, but to answer nonsense.

@admin
You have seriously angered your player base and this is one of those times where you have to do something about it and not just ignore.

Edited by Demsity

3 minutes ago, Demsity said:

And once again admin decides to not answer any important question or concern, but to answer nonsense.

@admin
You have seriously angered you player base and this is one of those times where you have to do something about it and not just ignore.

I'm a happy camper. there is just to many cry babys on forums. let the devs build the game they want to. if you don't like it don't play it. 

Edited by King of Crowns
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Jœrnson said:

Game will be developed for new players from now on not for the existing playerbase.Just to let you know.

What are you talking about specifically? New players care about tutorial for example and don't even know about RVR. Stop pushing your agenda by making up crazy theories. Old players are a backbone for rvr and old players must start participating in it if they want access to high end content (first rates for example)

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, King of Crowns said:

I'm a happy camper. there is just to many cry babys on forums. let the devs build the game they want to. if you don't like it don't play it. 

Nah, this is totally bs. Some players still have a passion for this game, which was once great, and are now expressing their displeasure. Nothing wrong about this.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Demsity said:

@admin
You have seriously angered your player base and this is one of those times where you have to do something about it and not just ignore.

We have not angered all player base. Some players are angry of course. we knew the change would be unpopular (just like the merge) so merge and making rvr important had to be done once in one quick clean cut and had to be done before the new year. Since from the new year every patch will only focus on the positive. Tutorial might come at the end of december, UI, Localization and other new amazing features.

We do want rvr to matter and we KNEW it will be unpopular but we want players to organize and fight. Old players are the most disappointed but we do want old players (who are already skilled) to take start influencing and teaching their nations to fight and win, and if they are not forced to do it they will never do it.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, admin said:

What are you talking about specifically?

I quoted your own words in my previous post which was deleted. I can't be bothered to repeat that again. You know best what you wrote about old Players and new Players.

3 minutes ago, Jœrnson said:

I quoted your own words in my previous post which was deleted. I can't be bothered to repeat that again. You know best what you wrote about old Players and new Players.

So for example when we say we are working on the tutorial you are saying we are ignoring old players? Are you nuts?

12 minutes ago, admin said:

We have not angered all player base. Some players are angry of course. But we knew the change would be unpopular (just like the merge) so merge and making rvr important had to be done once and before the new year. Since from the new year every patch will only focus on the positive. Tutorial, UI, Localization and other new amazing features.

We do want rvr to matter and we KNEW it will be unpopular but we want players to organize and fight. 

We all want the exact same thing here! Good RVR.

We are saying that we think these changes will not lead to good RVR, we have tried a system like this before and it did not work well and this new system is even worse than before!

We love this game and we are scared that the new rules regarding Victory marks will make it impossible for nations to get access to the tools necessary for RVR!

And if you want players to organize and fight, give them the proper tools to do so and not just restrict there access to vital RVR tools! Organizing is a nightmare because there are no tools in the game to do so. Correction: Little tools to do so.

Please explain in great detail how one of the smaller nations will ever win the map and get victory marks?

Edited by Demsity

So only the leading nations will be able to craft Victories and heavy rattlers now, isnt thath just entrenching their position?

I hadn't read the forums when I posted the above

Edited by Kubrat
Know better now

6 minutes ago, admin said:

We do want rvr to matter and we KNEW it will be unpopular but we want players to organize and fight. Old players are the most disappointed but we do want old players (who are already skilled) to take start influencing and teaching their nations to fight and win, and if they are not forced to do it they will never do it.

How will the victory marks work? Will only the top nation(s) receive them and thus be able to build 1st rates? If so, how do you expect the losing side to continue to compete in RvR being outclassed by heavier ships?

23 minutes ago, King of Crowns said:

I have seen the game as a new one after every patch and gave it a try.

But now it is more like restriction parts of the game to a handfull of players in the larg nations.

I dont have a Firstrate anymore i got one H-Rattler and the US-Nation as you know is not popular by players based in EU. So only thing i can hope that the few who joint the US after merge can solve the problem.

14 hours ago, admin said:

We are not sure about it.
But we need to force players to rvr.
Old players might not like it (and its fine) new players will come on release and will consider this a given.

You need 5 people to capture 35-40% of ports on the map. 

Its fine for you if old players dont like it this is what Joernson men. Nothing agains tutorial and features that makes the game start easier for new guys.

Edited by Lucius Esox
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, admin said:

What are you talking about specifically? New players care about tutorial for example and don't even know about RVR. Stop pushing your agenda by making up crazy theories. Old players are a backbone for rvr and old players must start participating in it if they want access to high end content (first rates for example)

The problem here is that participating not give them access to first rates, they need to make their nation to be in the top 3 against another 10 nations. Some of them with first rates ready to smash their inferior fleet of second rates.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Intrepido said:

The problem here is that participating not give them access to first rates, they need to make their nation to be in the top 3 against another 10 nations. Some of them with first rates ready to smash their inferior fleet of second rates.

first rates are still obtainable. through cash and epic events. even if you don't get the victory marks. you can buy them or trade them. so it makes no difference. stop crying about a problem that doesn't exsist. every one has 4 1st rates ready to go. it would take 2 months for all those 1st rates to be sunk and there to actually be a need for victory marks. 

1 minute ago, King of Crowns said:

first rates are still obtainable. through cash and epic events. even if you don't get the victory marks. you can buy them or trade them. so it makes no difference. stop crying about a problem that doesn't exsist. every one has 4 1st rates ready to go. it would take 2 months for all those 1st rates to be sunk and there to actually be a need for victory marks.

For people who are max rank today your words might be true (Doesn't apply to me BTW) - I have one Vic and one H Ratt), but it does not apply to people still leveling.  This might work out OK, with the BR limits as they are, maybe a group of lower rates can overpower the higher but fewer BRS. I agree with you that we should give this a go.  It is alpha, we should expect to be experimented on. 

15 minutes ago, Lucius Esox said:

Its fine for you if old players dont like it this is what Joernson men. Nothing agains tutorial and features that makes the game start easier for new guys.

This is probably a translation problem not a statement problem. By saying we are ok with players not liking some changes we are not ignoring them.

We know players who had very easy access to first rates will not like the attempt to make RVR matter a lot more on the PVP server (port battles are exciting part of the game). But it does not mean we don't understand this. We want to make RVR matter more and hardcore players (competition driven) may see the benefits through the initial rage. 

We suggest to wait for the final patch notes as forum discussions might not give the full picture of the changes. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, admin said:

I'm sorry, but this simply is not how you should make RvR important or how any of this works. You are taking the dynamism out of an open sandbox and forcing players into a specific pattern. This is not how you motivate players to RvR, this is how you motivate nations to roflstomp each other and to destroy each others' gameplay in order to preserve their own.

However you go about it, if you want to use Victory Marks to motivate RvR, then you need to make sure that enough of them are handed out that those who risk their ships get more than enough of them back to replace the ships that they lost. Otherwise risking ships is discouraged and only those that know already that they have an advantage and a greater chance to win will be willing to risk their ships, again giving them an even bigger advantage and guaranteeing them the win. There is no way of climbing that ladder. And if the loosing teams do not get Victory marks, then once they have risked and lost all of their ships and cannot replace them anymore, they will stop playing. They will have tried and failed and the game punishes them for being brave and take risk, and forces them to stop.

• Like 10