Game-Labs Forum

Possible American 1st Rate Ship of the Line

USS North Carolina, American 94 Gun Ship of the Line, 1820 Launch, 1824 Commission

5a27ca5f80ddc_USSNorthCarolina.thumb.png.3fd7eeb2943ac104d51fc07e9573ce5f.png

Image result

The USS North Carolina was an American, 94 Gun, Ship of the Line which was launched on September 17, 1820, and officially deployed on June 24, 1824. The North Carolina would serve as one of the toughest ships in the American Navy. It would fit the position of one of the first American Ship of the Line, and would categorize it between the Victory and Santisima, and with only a slight advantage over the L'Ocean. 

Armament: 

Lower Gun Deck: 34 x 42lb Guns

Upper Gun Deck: 36 x 32lb Guns

Spardeck: 24 x 42lb Carronades

Total Broadside Poundage: 1434lbs with Cannons Only(12lb Guns substituted for replacement of Carronades)/1794lbs with 24 x 42lb Carronades.

The guns used are in accordance with an 1825 Armament Record, Link here: http://3decks.pbworks.com/w/page/916135/USS North Carolina (1820)

Crew Count: 820 - 1000+

Other helpful links with regards to this ship: http://www.battleshipnc.com/about-the-ship/history/ship-stats/

Please contact me if any more information is required for the addition of this ship to Naval Action. Thank you for your time. 

Edited 5 minutes ago by President John Henry Eden 
Crew

• Like 5

Although i like big ships and the implementation of more ships in general, i think there are more pressing concerns:

- turn rate reballancing for all ships

- BR reballancing for all ships

- new pve content that makes the game more interesting (e.g. trading missions)

- easyly accessable pvp (see thread: „hostility mechanic had failed)

- ui improvement

- tutorial

- release

But nevertheless @President John Henry Eden: Good idea!

Edited by Navalus Magnus
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Niels Terkildsen said:

It has a distinct American look to it somehow... Not really my cup of tea... Anyway, I think we need more 3rd rates rather than 1st.

(This should also be posted in the shipyard section of the forum, not here).

It could be laid down as either. I think there are a couple more 74s in the works, one has 14 knot base speed :)

17 minutes ago, Haratik said:

She's been suggested in the past, but the American line ships are highly debated as to whether they belong in the current game.  I'm not a fan of any of the American lineships beyond the 1799 proposal and the USS America.

@President John Henry Eden where did you get that plan for her?  Nicely detailed.

We've got later ships from Britain, so why screw the Americans?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malachy said:

We've got later ships from Britain, so why screw the Americans?

It's not about screwing the Americans, but the armament really throws things out of whack, not to mention the American lineships are rather uninspiring.  There's plenty of discussion about them in the shipyard.

37 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

What a beast. We shouldn't disregard this ship just because its "American", that's nationalist.

God forbid.  See above.

3 minutes ago, Haratik said:

It's not about screwing the Americans, but the armament really throws things out of whack, not to mention the American lineships are rather uninspiring.  There's plenty of discussion about them in the shipyard.

God forbid.  See above.

Uninspiring? This ship is gorgeous compared to the santisma and l'ocean which looks like an emaciated shoe and an ugly bathtub respectively. We can put any armament we want on it in game to balance it. I would rather sail something sleek like this than ships that look like the Santi and ocean. The only nice looking 1st rate we have is the victory. 

Edited by Malachy
  • Like 2

She looks like a bathtub, none of the classic lineship lines.  I'm fine with how the Constitution looks, but not as much as the North Carolina or Ohio.  The only thing going for her is how she represented American naval power during her Mediterranean cruises.

I'm a champion of American vessels, but I'm not blind either.  The United States as an ingame nation is best represented by her privateers and frigates.  If an American lineship got into the game, I'd be glad, but I wouldn't necessarily be in favor of it.

We already got plenty of american ships in game. And the americans wasn't even a naval power in the 18th and 19th century.. Let's have a lot more ships from actual naval powers, like... Denmark-Norway - Not one ship from the 4th largest naval power in this time period is in game..

Furthermore, in comparison with British, French, and Spanish ships of the time, we only have two actual U.S. ships in the game: The USS Constitution and USS Essex. That's it. And as Malachy rightly mentions, the United States was a real naval power in 1812. The British Navy suffered pretty heavy casualties during the war, and was pretty much stalemated by a newly formed nation just twenty years prior. I think we should give at least on American Ship of the Line a chance, and this should be the one. The USS America never even served the US Navy. It was given to the French. 

6 minutes ago, Bearwall said:

We already got plenty of american ships in game. And the americans wasn't even a naval power in the 18th and 19th century.. Let's have a lot more ships from actual naval powers, like... Denmark-Norway - Not one ship from the 4th largest naval power in this time period is in game..

There's one in development that I know of, maybe two, but when they're due to be ingame is anybody's guess.

6 minutes ago, Malachy said:

Actually, the us became a naval power during the war of 1812....and Denmark was totally decimated by the Royal Navy and wasn't a power anymore 

That didn't occur until the latter stages of the Napoleonic Wars though, so technically they were a power until then.  Enough for the Royal Navy to deem them a threat.

41 minutes ago, Malachi said:

I'm very interested in your definition of naval power, malachy.

The US proved itself a threat to the largest naval power of the time, so much so that the British had to mutilate a bunch of their 64s in order to attempt to combat this threat in the short term and completely changed their ship building doctrine in the long term. The conflict did not last long enough to prove whether the mutilated 64s would prove capable to the task however. From that point forward British naval power receded and US naval power ascended to the point that the British refused to allocate warships to assist the confederates, who they were extremely friendly to and assisted in other ways during the civil war.

Edited by Malachy

46 minutes ago, Haratik said:

That didn't occur until the latter stages of the Napoleonic Wars though, so technically they were a power until then.  Enough for the Royal Navy to deem them a threat.

The Danes themselves were not a threat. They were buckling to napoleons pressure and the Royal Navy didn't want the French to get their hands on the Dane Navy. So they attacked and sank or captured the whole works. The Danes were never a threat in themselves, the British were more concerned what the French could do with those ships. The only navies that mattered in that whole 50 years of conflict was the British, French, Spanish, and for a short while at the end, the US.

Edited by Malachy