Game-Labs Forum

Ghost ship - impossible to hit

Anolytic

I was in a PvP-battle against 2 enemies that were both running away from me. I focused the sails of the slower ship to get alongside him and kill him. I was just about to do this when my hits on him stopped registering. I shot 6 consecutive shots of chain into his sails, at point blank range, on different sides of his masts, going the length of his ship and through all of his square sails. None of these hits registered as tags, nor lowering his sail percentages. His sails were at 80% and thus not overly holy, nor were there holes in them on the graphics.

The player was able to escape from just a couple of ship lengths ahead of me. My ping was not particularly high at the time, nor should it matter at that close range. Clan-mates told me about this happening to them too on multiple occasions.

Video of the bug:

aGe6gxn_700b.jpg

Edited by Anolytic

1 hour ago, Powderhorn said:

Sails are modeled and damaged independently, and you seem to have shredded his mizzen and main topsail without touching much else.  Why did you never aim for the spanker, mizzen or main sails?

9416274.jpg

How can 6 of his biggest canvases be shredded to the point of hits not even registering, and yet he is still at 80% sails and the models of his sails look completely fine? And I shot at his lower sails previously in the battle.

1 hour ago, Peter Goldman said:

The tagging mechanic is silly. Holes in the damaged sails can prevent a tag.

Invisible holes that cover the entirety of the sails.

#areacontroldefault

• Like 2

Six sails?  I'd be generous and say two - the mizzen and main topsail.  I tend to doubt the fore, and highly doubt the staysails.  As for shooting at his lower sails previously in battle, all I can address is what I'm looking at - you repeatedly hit the exact same sail for two minutes, which I addressed above.

I've watched your video three times now.  Your shots diverge outwards on each, moving further to the right and left as the shot travels forward.  The fore topsail (6) is narrower than the main topsail (13), so if your shots are diverging, it is easy for them to miss.  Further, there are small gaps in the sails where they attach to the yards.  I understand your frustration, however this is not a bug.

Just chalk it up to learning about one of the advanced mechanics in the game, and use it to your advantage next time :)

10 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

I've watched your video three times now.  Your shots diverge outwards on each, moving further to the right and left as the shot travels forward.  The fore topsail (6) is narrower than the main topsail (13), so if your shots are diverging, it is easy for them to miss.  Further, there are small gaps in the sails where they attach to the yards.  I understand your frustration, however this is not a bug.

Just chalk it up to learning about one of the advanced mechanics in the game, and use it to your advantage next time :)

Try to watch the video without a preconstrued idea of how it should be. There are no visible markers on the sails where they've been hit except a miniscule hole on the spanker. At the very least it's a graphics issue, and with a ping of 32 you can't chalk it up to a "network" issue either. 

12 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

And as a moderator, try to be a bit less condescending. Anolytic is one of the most active players through the last couple of years on the most competitive server (well alright - the only functioning one), he should've learned the basics by know.

31 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

I meant 3 sails, but 6 big areas of canvas since I hit both left and right of the masts. As I shot from behind him, my chain would have gone through both 20, 13 and 6 on your drawing.

What I don't get is why you didn't just demast them. I've just finished a match where the french ganked me, my brother and Darkjoker against 3 wasas, 1 aga, 1 connie and 1 reno.. They lost 19 masts in 1½  hour, 1 aga, 1 reno and we only lost a wasa because we wanted the second kill.. I'd say it was an even match but with the current iteration it's just too easy.

14 hours ago, Anolytic said:

. None of these hits registered as tags, nor lowering his sail percentages. His sails were at 80% and thus not overly holy, nor were there holes in them on the graphics.

We will check the Rattlesnake Heavy model. 

• Like 1

On most ships the hitbox of the spanker is not equal to the actual postion you see. (EDIT *even when the spanker is undamaged*)

Prince, Pirate Frigate, Heavy Rattle, Surprise, tBrig

just a few example

Edited by z4ys

We investigated the issue.

Shredded sails keep some power and provide forward force (or backward force or side force) when damaged. 
Once an individual sail is shredded you cannot get more damage into them - damage zero.

In this particular case topsails were damaged to their maximum and no longer were damaged when shot at. Because of damage zero they did not update the exit timer and allowed to enemy to exit. We were able to reproduce exact situation internally and the damage no longer registered. If captain shot courses or topgallants he would have stopped the ship

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, admin said:

Shredded sails keep some power and provide forward force (or backward force or side force) when damaged. 
Once an individual sail is shredded you cannot get more damage into them - damage zero.

In this particular case topsails were damaged to their maximum and no longer were damaged when shot at. Because of damage zero they did not update the exit timer and allowed to enemy to exit. We were able to reproduce exact situation internally and the damage no longer registered. If captain shot courses or topgallants he would have stopped the ship

I understand your explanation what happend - but, sorry guys, I watched the video, the damage of the topsails is maybe in your logfiles, but in the video the sails look proper.

It seems there's a bug in displaying the damage of the hunted ship, the damage is invisible! The damage of Anolytic's sails are visible. How should someone aim the right target in this case?

• Like 2

In general, I think that it would be fair to extend the tag even with shots to sails that do zero damage. It's a rare situation, however quite frustrating. If your enemy has shredded sails, in most cases you are catching up to him. Having him escape when you're close is quite frustrating and "magical". It destroys immersion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HamBlower said:

I understand your explanation what happend - but, sorry guys, I watched the video, the damage of the topsails is maybe in your logfiles, but in the video the sails look proper.

You may be confused with your nomenclature.  The video clearly shows damage to the topsails.  (The topsails are the sails second from the bottom.)  It sounds like you are confusing the topsails with the topgallants.

(Again, for reference.)

9416274.jpg

2 hours ago, admin said:

Wouldn't a better solution be to make the controlperk a default?

On 27/11/2017 at 4:05 PM, rediii said:

Asked for so often because its not logical that ships teleport/warp away. Will not come tho

Oh, ships do teleport. Watch "Battlestar Galactica". It almost helped me convince myself that there's nothing wrong with NA.... almost...

Imagine a world far in the future, where there are warp drives, yet all other propulsion systems - except for wind - were forgotten. Same with all other tech. It's logical that warp field, when getting charged, would be disrupted by a cannonball going through it. Once you understand this, you're golden ;)