Game-Labs Forum

Require pvp to play on pvp server

A chronic problem in this game is the amount of carebears on the pvp server. I think that pvp servers aren't for the faint hearted. My suggestion is that to remain on the pvp server, you must participate in a minimum of ten pvp battles per month where at least one ship is sunk. Otherwise you are moved to the pvp server. You can return to the pvp server once per thirty days but to remain there you have to pvp.

No. Terrible Idea. Imagine if someone takes a break, and comes back to find all their stuff stuck on the PvE server. 

Also transferring stuff beteen servers regularly is just asking for exploits. 

Edited by Guest

If that happened elite, they just need to check a tab to transfer back to the pvp server in the next transfer window. I'm tired of all the carebears. And with outlaw battles gone I can't even kill them anymore to encourage them to get the hell out of my faction. This suggestion keeps carebears where they belong, on the carebear server.

Edited by Malachy

17 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

Malachy, do you feel ok? :lol: I'm really worried about you, as your clan leader and friend :)

I feel great, I'd feel better if there were less carebears and more people fighting. When you can sit alone outside a nations capital for hours, and see dozens of people doing missions in the reinforcement zone but not one or even ten of them have the balls to attack you, the game becomes a joke.

I'm fed up with people calling everyone else "Carebears". Its stupid. People play the game differently. We need incentives to go out and PvP, not punishments if you don't.

10 hours ago, EliteDelta said:

I'm fed up with people calling everyone else "Carebears". Its stupid. People play the game differently. We need incentives to go out and PvP, not punishments if you don't.

Incentives haven't worked. I believe in the carrot and stick approach. We've tried the carrot, now it's time for the stick and I'm a huge proponent of breaking  it over their heads. 

The other option is to completely remove all safe zones. Which I'm also big time in favor of. You want to be safe, play on pve

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Malachy said:

Incentives haven't worked. I believe in the carrot and stick approach. We've tried the carrot, now it's time for the stick and I'm a huge proponent of breaking  it over their heads. 

You're being narrow minded about this though. What about the people that enjoy trading and crafting, to support their friends or clan mates. I've met many players like this, that don't want to play on the PvE server, but also aren't interested in much PvP. Should we ban them all from the server? 

You will be left with 50 or less players on the server with this attitude.

39 minutes ago, Malachy said:

A chronic problem in this game is the amount of carebears on the pvp server. I think that pvp servers aren't for the faint hearted. My suggestion is that to remain on the pvp server, you must participate in a minimum of ten pvp battles per month where at least one ship is sunk. Otherwise you are moved to the pvp server. You can return to the pvp server once per thirty days but to remain there you have to pvp.

At first I thought this was a joke.  Apparently you are serious?  Wow, come on man.  Live and let live.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, EliteDelta said:

You're being narrow minded about this though. What about the people that enjoy trading and crafting, to support their friends or clan mates. I've met many players like this, that don't want to play on the PvE server, but also aren't interested in much PvP. Should we ban them all from the server? 

You will be left with 50 or less players on the server with this attitude.

I'd take 50 players who fight over 500 that hide in green zones afraid to lose their pixels.  I play this game for pvp, not the great economy or the stellar AI (and if you can't detect the sarcasm, I'm sorry). If a person isn't out pvping, I have zero use for them, so I wouldn't really notice any difference if they all quit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Malachy said:

I'd take 50 players who fight over 500 that hide in green zones afraid to lose their pixels.  I play this game for pvp, not the great economy or the stellar AI (and if you can't detect the sarcasm, I'm sorry). If a person isn't out pvping, I have zero use for them, so I wouldn't really notice any difference if they all quit.

You are right in saying what you play the game for, no one can take that away from you.  However, there are another 100 of these from other players.....

"I play this game for ________"

.......and they may all be different than you.  Have to look at it loosely this way.

5 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

You are right in saying what you play the game for, no one can take that away from you.  However, there are another 100 of these from other players.....

.......and they may all be different than you.  Have to look at it loosely this way.

You like the pve aspect, play on the server that caters to that. You play on the pvp server, pvp. That's the entire point of the pvp servers. The 80 people who pvp are the only ones I interact with anyhow, putting the folks who are afraid to leave the green zones on a server with others of their own kind wouldn't change a thing for me. For me, less than 100 people are on the server already, at least the numbers of folks would reflect reality. If they are hiding in a green zone, they may as well be npc for all the use I have for them.

Edited by Malachy

5 minutes ago, Malachy said:

The game should be a High risk High reward game, but to kick players from server because not doing PvP, cmon malachy. Im all in of moving expensive/better resources to ports that are not in safezones, and maybe even have individual ports give better xp and rewards for missions e.g leveling zones as in wow, but you have to be more objective about it to get to a more complete solution

10 minutes ago, Archaos said:

And people complain about servers being empty, there would be about 10 people left on the server with this suggestion.

I'd gladly take those ten people. I've got no use for folks who play on a pvp server but won't fight. Those people don't exist for me anyhow.

5 minutes ago, Wyy said:

The game should be a High risk High reward game, but to kick players from server because not doing PvP, cmon malachy. Im all in of moving expensive/better resources to ports that are not in safezones, and maybe even have individual ports give better xp and rewards for missions e.g leveling zones as in wow, but you have to be more objective about it to get to a more complete solution

The game was a lot better when safe zones didn't exist. And carebears played on the pve server. Somehow all those folks ended up on the pvp servers and the developers have made it too easy to just not pvp. I could have had 40 fights yesterday, but only found 1 in 5 hours of playing. Why?  Every single player I saw was running missions in the safe zones and they wouldn't even think about jumping me 5 on 1 even. It was pathetic and I avsolutulely hold all of those type of players in the utmost contempt. 

And the one fight I got? The idiot was afk sailing and accidentally left the green zone. You shouldn't have to wait 5 hours to get a fight on a pvp server when there are two dozen players in sight. 

Edited by Malachy

The game was a lot better when safe zones didn't exist. And carebears played on the pve server. Somehow all those folks ended up on the pvp servers and the developers have made it too easy to just not pvp. I could have had 40 fights yesterday, but only found 1 in 5 hours of playing. Why?  Every single player I saw was running missions in the safe zones and they wouldn't even think about jumping me 5 on 1 even. It was pathetic and I avsolutulely hold all of those type of players in the utmost contempt. 

Tell me how the game was better and healthier for the game development when there was no safezones please

1 minute ago, Wyy said:

Tell me how the game was better and healthier for the game development when there was no safezones please

You could find pvp on the pvp servers. All the time, any time. People played on those servers to fight, not run missions in the reinforcement zones. If you left port, you expected to fight, not be protected by AI and ignore player combat. Enemy players didn't boldly sit in your capitals harbor without being attacked. 

Edited by Malachy

You could find pvp on the pvp servers. All the time, any time. 

By PvP What kind of rank and skill had the players you most often faced

2 minutes ago, Wyy said:

By PvP What kind of rank and skill had the players you most often faced

I leveled my guy from midshipman to rear admiral on pvp alone. It took me 3 weeks. So to answer, all skill levels. 

Edited by Malachy

I am a trader in game, I will avoid a fight whenever possible. I don't want to play in the pve server, because I need human players to sell my goods to, and part of the fun is getting in and out of dangerous ports and trying to run from human attackers. I do have fighting ships and will look for a battle on occasion just to take a break, but it is not my main mode of playing. 

Therefore, add me to the list of people that think this is a narrow-minded, ill-conceived, and rather self-centered opinion that would be detrimental to the game overall.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, BPHick said:

I am a trader in game, I will avoid a fight whenever possible. I don't want to play in the pve server, because I need human players to sell my goods to, and part of the fun is getting in and out of dangerous ports and trying to run from human attackers. I do have fighting ships and will look for a battle on occasion just to take a break, but it is not my main mode of playing. 

Therefore, add me to the list of people that think this is a narrow-minded, ill-conceived, and rather self-centered opinion that would be detrimental to the game overall.

Yep, you bring nothing to the pvp server. At least you are willing to stand up and admit the fact. And profit margins are better selling to npc fyi. 

I don't give a flying frack whether people like me or my ideas. In fact, I prefer they don't like me. 

Edited by Malachy

6 minutes ago, Malachy said:

I leveled my guy from midshipman to rear admiral on pvp alone. It took me 3 weeks. So to answer, all skill levels. 

The players you fought What kind of skill and ranks were they before they added the safezones

3 minutes ago, Malachy said:

Yep, you bring nothing to the pvp server. At least you are willing to stand up and admit the fact. And profit margins are better selling to npc fyi. 

Except I supply two large and active pvp clans, which puts all their players out fighting pvp instead of spending time collecting materials. So yeah, the nothing I bring is facilitating the type of gameplay you are complaining about not having. Try again.

Edited by BPHick
  • Like 8