Game-Labs Forum
Iroquois Confederacy

Conquest Timezone Suggested Maps

Following discussions on the Server Merge Proposal thread, I believe is the best solution to merge the servers back together is to have the map divided into regions with different conquest windows.

With that in mind, I'd like people to propose maps (with pictures and lines and the like) with how to most fairly divide up the map into conquest time windows.  If @Grundgemunkeywould start us off with his map, and his reasoning behind how he split it up, I'd be obliged.

5a0edb9722c0e_Namnlst-5.thumb.png.846163e2cd2eb0f8605fd45fae113b0d.png

Based on peak server population.

Hint: Its a joke
Apparently a valid suggestion so I guess it is.

Edited by Demsity

The problem you have @Iroquois Confederacy is certain Senior Players don’t believe anything is actually wrong with the current mechanic. So, [PvP Global] or Carebear Global according to some should just fold directly into [PvP EU]. After all they Global are too small to count.

There is no point offering any form of a solution when the majority of the largest server population already like the status quo. Why change what isn’t broken? Does this make sense…? Does this sound familiar…?

It would if the EU population was a significant number. It is still a very small and non-viable profitable functioning figure. It’s just way too small. When you add PvE and Global the numbers are not much better. Big fish in a very small pond.

You can offer any solution you want to solve the PB Timer window (I've tried) and it will be met with NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO… every time without any thought to the future. Why is this? Really I find it hard to understand? Is it because we just hate American's? I've heard this reason given a few times, honestly LMAO...  

If @admin you need any blinkered visionaries I can point you in the right direction, there’s a stack of them close by. For God’s sake man I hope you don’t listen to our dysfunctional community…

7 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

The problem you have @Iroquois Confederacy is certain Senior Players don’t believe anything is actually wrong with the current mechanic. So, [PvP Global] or Carebear Global according to some should just fold directly into [PvP EU]. After all they Global are too small to count.

There is no point offering any form of a solution when the majority of the largest server population already like the status quo. Why change what isn’t broken? Does this make sense…? Does this sound familiar…?

It would if the EU population was a significant number. It is still a very small and non-viable profitable functioning figure. It’s just way too small. When you add PvE and Global the numbers are not much better. Big fish in a very small pond.

You can offer any solution you want to solve the PB Timer window (I've tried) and it will be met with NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO… every time without any thought to the future. Why is this? Really I find it hard to understand? Is it because we just hate American's? I've heard this reason given a few times, honestly LMAO...  

If @admin you need any blinkered visionaries I can point you in the right direction, there’s a stack of them close by. For God’s sake man I hope you don’t listen to our dysfunctional community…

Small but providing content to the server.

Among all the systems we have tested, the EU pb timer window have worked great so far. 

The only guys who complain are the ones from the other server.

And I dont hate americans, I hate the people who ruined good wars.

So, this is what I've worked on a little bit today.  Red dots are reinforcement zones.  Stars are faction capitals.  Time zones are all in UTC and are labelled.  They are "prime time" for, to the best of my knowledge, the European players, the Americas, and Oceanic.  There may need to be another one added for Asia.  (Thoughts on that are appreciated.)

Map Work in Progress (High Resolution)

4 hours ago, Intrepido said:

Small but providing content to the server.

Among all the systems we have tested, the EU pb timer window have worked great so far. 

The only guys who complain are the ones from the other server.

And I dont hate americans, I hate the people who ruined good wars.

Love your work and blinkered honesty (worked great so far). You at least realize this unlike most...o7

@Iroquois Confederacy

The very best of luck trying to get PCs to look forward and NOT at the here and now. The time zone must come from the CLAN defender local. Using FIXED placement time zones simply does not fixed the problem either in RATIO area allocation or implementation. If the Dev's and @adminlike it, lets test it first on [PvP GLOBAL] NOT risking the [PvP EU] player base.

Edited by Norfolk nChance

Introducing the Pax Christendom solution to save Naval Action

@admin take notes.  For others that are fixated on the dots of the map, don't be.  For any solution to work you need to stop thinking of areas that you own as traditionally or culturally yours.  Time to break the wheel.  

erjBRde.jpg

Blue zones - US port timers
Red zones - EU port timers
Black zones - 24/7 timer zones
(i'd like to fit a Oceanic time zone in there, but can't figure out where).

Maybe a PVE zone in the pacific?

Circles are not set in stone, just an approximation.

Red and Blue zones have a 4 or 6 hour window where battles can be set in that area's evenings.  Ports in those areas can be taken and switched to a different time zone,  BUT they will have a significantly increased port maintenance cost daily.  Let's call this a hostile locals tax.  If the entire region is conquered and changed to the winning clan(s) time zone, the region will change and port maintenance will go down.  Region pacified.  The more ports in that region you own, the less the tax.  If you own 1 port out of the 5 in that region, the tax is high.  Neutral ports will defer to the zone they are in and can only be unlocked then.

Black zones.  24/7 timers.  Regions can be conquered at any time, though the clan that holds that port is able to set the timer to whenever they wish.  There is no restriction on the timers and they get like a choice of 4 or 5 windows.  Similar rules above, if you own all 5 (or 3/4) ports in a region the cost per maintenance daily goes down.  This is considered "hard" mode.  This is where Russia, Prussia, Pirates and Poland start out.  

Safe zones.  Nations now only have 1 around their main capital.  Their secondary area that cannot be taken still exists, but there is no safe zone around it.  The larger pop nations like GB / Spain / France get 2 (only 1 safe zone) uncap regions.  US / Swedes / DK only get 1.  

Free towns.  Increase the amount of free towns to spread the map out a bit better.  Ships cannot be towed into free towns, but players can teleport to them.  Normal tow works in nation ports.

Nation difficulty.  EasyGB, Spain, France with 2 capitals.  Intermediate - US and Dutch.  Hard - Sweden and D-K.  Hardcore - Russia, Prussia, Poland.

-----   Non map related

Clan alliances.  Introduce clan alliances between nations.  Alliances are also limited.  You can sink players in your own nation through some sort of outlaw battle system.  Cannot create outlaw battles inside of safe zones.  

Reputation system.  Sink too many players in your nation and you reputation and your clans goes down.  Lose enough rep and you receive an outlaw status and get banned from entering all nation ports...even the capital.  You can only work out of free towns or other nation's neutral ports.  Gain rep by killing national enemies.  

Missions.  Some sort of delivery system that old vets can use to hire new players to sail their crap around the map.  Player set bounty missions.  

PVP and Shipwreck events.  More of them, randomly generated around free towns.  Give out cosmetic paints, ship notes or whatever.  a shipwreck event will trigger a PVP event inside of it also.

More to come, but it's 3am

Edited by Christendom

14 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

If I do not go wrong you were not ingame at the time of global timers on the once PVP 1 server.

So it's clear why you do not understand the NONONONONO.

You did not live with the frustration of one faction that, thanks only to a playerbase spread in different timezpones, carried out clever tactics to vanquish with realitive ease the conquer efforts of all the other factions.

The same PVP Global players that appear so "reasonable" today (but just because their server is starving players) were the same players that took empty ports during nights with just 5 ships and then laughed on global at the morons (of course the Europeans) that were obliged to gather a 25 1st rates fleets to get (and eventually get back) ports just because their faction did not have in their ranks enough captains that could play at "American" hours. 

Then those same players asked and clapped at the creation of "their" global server, claiming that we (European morons) would have played in four cats and that their server would have been the real one. 

But, unfortunately for them, things turned quite differently.

And now they come back on the forums claiming again to change things in our server (and again, in a way that could spoil our gameplay, right now that things are going quite well here).

Maybe now you have an idea.

Edited by victor

That map of Chris is perfect for nations like GB, US and Pirates.

US have the entire Florida without shouting a ball, with all the white oak. Bermuda and its wood, also for the US.

The Gulf, Yucatan and Panama for the British.

The Bahamas, hidden island and Haiti for the pirates.

Yes, the 24/7 communities and the entire Global server should give a like to that proposal. They win the map as soon as it gets added.

That proposal change timezones with paying gold... I have 40 millions on my main account. Just imagine the gold a clan of 20-30 members can have.

Edited by Intrepido

I'd be happy to try out anything that resulted in better gameplay for all. I am concerned that players are only looking at this from a POV that is biased on their own choice of gameplay. Whether they enjoy OW pvp or RVR is very relevant to this discussion. Ping times will also sway peoples decisions as it surely does when they choose which server to play on

I'd also like to try and see if the whole playerbase can be informed about discussions, not just the forum whores

Why do we need fixed timeslots for portbattle, i would appriciate if u can set up port battles more precicly. For example if ur prime play time is around 20:00 UTC u cant participate in a pb wich is set to 17:00. I would prefer to solve the Timezone Problem more like port battle starts at the time u finished hostility a day after + / - a random amount of hours 2-4. 

For example: u finished hostility at 18:30 UTC (Server Time) - now the battle is set up between 12:30 and 22:30 UTC could be good, could be bad, but i realy would apprciate some solution where u can set up the time for the pb - at least a little bit.

When u discuss about timezones, plz remember that the us has at least 8 differen time zone (as i remeber) while the eu only has about 5) and what about australia ruissia. If u get a PB outside u prime playtime, maybe u have to make friends in other timezones.

Timezone depending pb battle times make it even more confusing.

Just some thoughts. 

7 hours ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

So, this is what I've worked on a little bit today.  Red dots are reinforcement zones.  Stars are faction capitals.  Time zones are all in UTC and are labelled.  They are "prime time" for, to the best of my knowledge, the European players, the Americas, and Oceanic.  There may need to be another one added for Asia.  (Thoughts on that are appreciated.)

Map Work in Progress (High Resolution)

Very nice idea

1 hour ago, Intrepido said:

That map of Chris is perfect for nations like GB, US and Pirates.

US have the entire Florida without shouting a ball, with all the white oak. Bermuda and its wood, also for the US.

The Gulf, Yucatan and Panama for the British.

The Bahamas, hidden island and Haiti for the pirates.

Yes, the 24/7 communities and the entire Global server should give a like to that proposal. They win the map as soon as it gets added.

That proposal change timezones with paying gold... I have 40 millions on my main account. Just imagine the gold a clan of 20-30 members can have.

Old and bitter salt is still strong with this one.  

please note where I said to keep an open mind and forget the map how it is today.  I know that’s a tall order for you, but just try.  Resource distribution and the zone boarders will of course need to change.  Spain could even keep its precious Florida Keys (i forgot how attached you were to them when making this, because that’s the issue isn’t it) and really Spain’s quite well off on the map.  Look beyond the scope of your nation bud   

No one gets attacked at night.  Clans still set their timers.  24/7 communities and their crushing game breaking ways can be offset with....clan alliances.  Imagine that.  You’d have to maybe be friendly for a change tho.   Groundbreaking. 

Money would of course need to be wiped, maybe ships and parts too.  We are still in alpha after all, don’t be so attached.  

It’s a win win for everyone I think.  If only some were as bold as your namesake.

I am not interested in debating the "why" on this thread.  That thread can be found here.  I request all posts that are about the "why" are moved to that thread.

This thread is about "how."  I want actual proposed maps that can be handed to the developers and say, "These are our ideas."

The reason I am focusing on fixed timers over timers set by the conquering clan is that it was an issue in the past where clans would come in, take the port right next door, and set the reconquest timer at an impossible hour.  Thus, I for one favor regional conquest timers that are fixed on the server side.

Those whose maps favor player-set conquest timers are fine as well, but, maybe we should include the reasoning behind why we drew the map the way we drew it.

Im still a strong supporter of gulf of Mexico (Conil round to new orleans to tip of Florida keys) 24hr attack window PLUS every port on hatii Plus George Town/Cayman Brac ports.

So that means 91 ports on 24hr timer, with rest on eu timer...

I'll list all ports in idea hopefully by end of Sunday 

Edited by monk33y

14 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Old and bitter salt is still strong with this one.  

please note where I said to keep an open mind and forget the map how it is today.  I know that’s a tall order for you, but just try.  Resource distribution and the zone boarders will of course need to change.  Spain could even keep its precious Florida Keys (i forgot how attached you were to them when making this, because that’s the issue isn’t it) and really Spain’s quite well off on the map.  Look beyond the scope of your nation bud   

No one gets attacked at night.  Clans still set their timers.  24/7 communities and their crushing game breaking ways can be offset with....clan alliances.  Imagine that.  You’d have to maybe be friendly for a change tho.   Groundbreaking. 

Money would of course need to be wiped, maybe ships and parts too.  We are still in alpha after all, don’t be so attached.  

It’s a win win for everyone I think.  If only some were as bold as your namesake.

Forget is the first step to do the same mistakes of the past.

And btw, I play on several nations. I played mostly before with Spain but thats old.

Clan alliances arent in the game.

My comment about the gold is how easy is to earn it now. Me, being an average player, have all that gold. I couldnt have a clue how much money can gather all the clan members of HRE.

You keep making proposals of mechanics that depends on community agreements.

Edited by Intrepido

14 minutes ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

I am not interested in debating the "why" on this thread.  That thread can be found here.  I request all posts that are about the "why" are moved to that thread.

This thread is about "how."  I want actual proposed maps that can be handed to the developers and say, "These are our ideas."

The reason I am focusing on fixed timers over timers set by the conquering clan is that it was an issue in the past where clans would come in, take the port right next door, and set the reconquest timer at an impossible hour.  Thus, I for one favor regional conquest timers that are fixed on the server side.

Those whose maps favor player-set conquest timers are fine as well, but, maybe we should include the reasoning behind why we drew the map the way we drew it.

Let me disagree, mate.

If you open a thread on a topic, you cannot keep only the answers that you like and cut the others.

This thread - as any other thread on this forum concerning the possible merge of servers - is also about "if" ("how" supposes that the problem about "if" is already solved with a "yes").

And you should have understood that - according to a lot of PVP EU players - the "if" issue is not solved at all (and this mean also that "why" is still relevant to decide about "if").

So any comment about "if" (and - consequently - about "why") are perfectly on topic.

Edited by victor

9 hours ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

I'm going to keep working on this.

Which resources are considered "essential"?  IE - Special woods, special materials for modules?  (I'm currently working on a map proposal.)

Teak and White Oak for shop resources. Every rare upgrade resources is also hilariously limited anyways. the harvestable resources are common enough as it is. Maybe cotton as well.