Game-Labs Forum

Increasing Ship Visuals while making Devs Money

The best way to increase the money the game makes with out making the game pay to win is very simple. All you need to do is make customization of the ships possible and by charging small micro transactions you greatly increase games income as well and give the game a more marketable look. This will also bring some players back and retain players. VERY few games offer true customization.

PAINT

Selling packs of 3 paint notes for $5 each note is one time use and universal. Each note will be like ship note with two drop menus, one for primary color and one for secondary color. This feature will not only grant players to make ships their own but will also allow clans to be able to run the same color ships in battle. 

Basic Sails

Again selling these in pack of 3 for $5. Each sail note would have three drop menus. The first being pattern such as Diamond, cross, X , Checkered, Diagonals (left and right), Vertical and horizontal stripes, or any other basic design. The remaining to would be color options.  Just like the clans can have a specific pattern and colors for their clan members to sail in battle.

Premium Sails

Premium sails would be $10 each. These sails would be presets such as: 

French fleur-de-lis pattern: Purple sails and Gold fleur-de-lis

Templar cross: White with a Red Templar cross

Black Tattered Sails: Dark grey sails with holes in it (dark grey due to sun fading) Holes would strictly be visual and not affect wind. (prolly a nightmare to create).

*adding an option to remove custom sails under graphic would allow people to chose if they want to see these sails as well as possibly help lower end computers render a better image.*

Unlike many suggestion that don't offer anything besides making a select group of players happy this is something that both benefits the devs and all players. Everyone I have talked with in game aggress this would be a great thing to have as long as it doesn't lead to Pay-to-Win. The biggest thing here is allowing the game to make money off existing players to help further the development of the game, but at the same time not requiring you to spend any more money on the game to enjoy it or be successful. 

Ship Names

Allow players to change the names on ships that current have name plates such and the surprise and frigate which are just random letters. Like the above you charge for this in packs or as single items. Only issue with this is that it could be abused making this aspect of my suggestion not so great. I am unsure how to regulate ship names unless you make preset names to select.

I apologize for the horrible topic title.

small edit forgot to add Ship names.

Edited by sounthernrebel78
  • Like 7

First off, I think it's a good suggestion that would allow the game to keep paying for itself, and keep driving new content as time goes on.

I have two additions I'd like to suggest to the above:

1) Don't allow notes purchased with real money to be traded in-game. I think it would be a shame if people could just buy paints and sell them for large amounts of gold.

2) In addition, there should be a possible, though difficult, method for players to obtain some or all of the above items through in-game play. Maybe they could be sold for a very high amount of PvP marks, or something similar. I think the important thing is that it is still possible to get in-game. Many people will take the easy way, and buy them for real life money. However some dedicated players that have the time to invest can still get these items without having to pay extra. 

Just my 2 cents :)

1 minute ago, EliteDelta said:

First off, I think it's a good suggestion that would allow the game to keep paying for itself, and keep driving new content as time goes on.

I have two additions I'd like to suggest to the above:

1) Don't allow notes purchased with real money to be traded in-game. I think it would be a shame if people could just buy paints and sell them for large amounts of gold.

2) In addition, there should be a possible, though difficult, method for players to obtain some or all of the above items through in-game play. Maybe they could be sold for a very high amount of PvP marks, or something similar. I think the important thing is that it is still possible to get in-game. Many people will take the easy way, and buy them for real life money. However some dedicated players that have the time to invest can still get these items without having to pay extra. 

Just my 2 cents :)

I think they should be tradable as not every player has the ability to make purchases like this but will allow others to buy them and then sell them.

However I do not agree you should be able to get these items unless you or some else pays for it.  

1 minute ago, sounthernrebel78 said:

I think they should be tradable as not every player has the ability to make purchases like this but will allow others to buy them and then sell them.

However I do not agree you should be able to get these items unless you or some else pays for it.  

If they are tradable, then thats the same as allowing someone to buy in-game gold for real money. I know gold is easy to get now, but I still think someone shouldn't be able to buy 10 paints for something like $10 and then turn around and sell those in-game for 10 mil each. 

Since i can understand to have a ship paint patterns don`t want to see random sails patterns. They look ok in PotBS game but not sure about Naval Action. More i would like to see a clan flag as a second flag maybe on top mast. But designs need be approved by devs/moderators team and fill tech specs such as format, transparency etc.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, EliteDelta said:

If they are tradable, then thats the same as allowing someone to buy in-game gold for real money. I know gold is easy to get now, but I still think someone shouldn't be able to buy 10 paints for something like $10 and then turn around and sell those in-game for 10 mil each. 

You can have all the gold in game you want but it doesn't give you an unfair advantage over someone who doesn't have the money to buy paints.

I believe somewhere admin mentionned ship names was not doable because then they would have to give every ship an unique ID, not sure if thats the exact reasonning, but something similar.

AFAIK they do have plans to make ship paints permanent, as in once you got one, you can always use it on the said ship. Basically a DLC (I would pay for DLC paints to choose from a dropdown list  :) )

Not sure on sail color, i had the thought aswell some time ago, but after all it seems kinda arcadey for what this game is supposed to ressemble. Clan flags could be nice.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Liq said:

I believe somewhere admin mentionned ship names was not doable because then they would have to give every ship an unique ID, not sure if thats the exact reasonning, but something similar.

AFAIK they do have plans to make ship paints permanent, as in once you got one, you can always use it on the said ship. Basically a DLC (I would pay for DLC paints to choose from a dropdown list  :) )

Not sure on sail color, i had the thought aswell some time ago, but after all it seems kinda arcadey for what this game is supposed to ressemble. Clan flags could be nice.

It is a pity about ship names, as a simple database of merchant and warship names of the period would suffice to keep out the more risqué names some people would inevitably use.

I like the idea of permanent paints for ships, most navy's even then had a specific hull scheme usually the coloured stripes indicated nationality in the smoke of battle, in game a clan could have several squadrons all indicated by colour in the same way. Even today many sailors can identify nationality by the shade of grey on the hull.

While I am certain you have good reason to consider coloured or patterned sails to be 'arcadey' in reality a good lookout could often identify the nationality of a ship by the cut/colour of her sails usually before the hull was over the horizon. Many could even identify ships by name if they had served aboard or alongside particular ships in a squadron, a skill that can be mastered quickly and easily by anyone even with average eyesight.

With the hours you must have in game I would think that you are able to tell between a Vic and a Santi at a considerable distance by sail cut alone, as well as most other classes of ship. Clan flags, commissioning pennants, Commodores pennants and admirals flags all would be nice visual touches all were flown on ships that had flag officers aboard at sea, every ship flew at least the long commission pennant and even had a signal hoist to identify her by name, the predecessor to todays pennant numbers flown by warships on entering or leaving port. Sadly I think the use of signal flags would be prohibitive in time, and the knowledge   needed to formulate signals in clear, never mind in code or I would advocate their use as well, maybe they would not even be possible.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sounthernrebel78 said:

PAINT

Selling packs of 3 paint notes for $5 each note is one time use and universal. Each note will be like ship note with two drop menus, one for primary color and one for secondary color. This feature will not only grant players to make ships their own but will also allow clans to be able to run the same color ships in battle. 

I would like for paint to be something like in Elite Dangerous. You buy the paint style for that type of ship and then you can apply that paint free of extra charge to any ship of that class you own.

So, If I bought say, a Swedish paint for the Wasa, every Wasa that I own, now or eventually, could use the paint scheme.

I'd pay 5 bucks for each paint/ship combo.

Edited by Kartaugh
Spelling.

@sounthernrebel78

Really like the idea. Paint and sails yes like this and I’d pay. I’d disagree with Ship naming just because of policing just look at some of our PC Names for example…

I don’t think individualizing a ship can go too deep. Below is an idea I wanted to have individual reference numbers for ships I built. @admin response is quite clear.

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/23150-idea-ship-build-number-tagging/

I assume flags etc would be an all or none affair ie every clan ship would have the same flag. Again that would be great to see

Norfolk.

12 hours ago, Bart Smith said:

Since i can understand to have a ship paint patterns don`t want to see random sails patterns. They look ok in PotBS game but not sure about Naval Action. More i would like to see a clan flag as a second flag maybe on top mast. But designs need be approved by devs/moderators team and fill tech specs such as format, transparency etc.

I'd suggest something like they used in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.

A visual library of sail colors and patterns that you can choose from.

Otherwise we'll end up with sails with tits on it or other stuff that don't really belong on sails.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:30 AM, Yngvarr said:

I'd suggest something like they used in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.

A visual library of sail colors and patterns that you can choose from.

Otherwise we'll end up with sails with tits on it or other stuff that don't really belong on sails.

If it is done the way I have suggested there is no way to have any image like that. Since you would have preset patterns to choose from and then preset colors to choose from. NO user created content.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:13 AM, Norfolk nChance said:

@sounthernrebel78

Really like the idea. Paint and sails yes like this and I’d pay. I’d disagree with Ship naming just because of policing just look at some of our PC Names for example…

I don’t think individualizing a ship can go too deep. Below is an idea I wanted to have individual reference numbers for ships I built. @admin response is quite clear.

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/23150-idea-ship-build-number-tagging/

I assume flags etc would be an all or none affair ie every clan ship would have the same flag. Again that would be great to see

Norfolk.

As I stated. Theres is a huge challenge of policing ship names unless the devs create name presets. similar to that of my suggest preset patterns for the sails. 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:59 AM, Kartaugh said:

I would like for paint to be something like in Elite Dangerous. You buy the paint style for that type of ship and then you can apply that paint free of extra charge to any ship of that class you own.

So, If I bought say, a Swedish paint for the Wasa, every Wasa that I own, now or eventually, could use the paint scheme.

I'd pay 5 bucks for each paint/ship combo.

This would be a nice feature, however this does not allow the game to pay for itself over time. If you have to buy your paint scheme each time you lose your ship it will allow the game to be at the very least maintain over the years. 

2 hours ago, sounthernrebel78 said:

This would be a nice feature, however this does not allow the game to pay for itself over time. If you have to buy your paint scheme each time you lose your ship it will allow the game to be at the very least maintain over the years. 

It's been working fine for Elite....why wouldn't it work here?

Notice that it's a Paint/Ship combo. So you'd buy say black paint for the Wasa. Then you could apply that paint to any Wasa you had. But you could not apply the black paint to any other ship, that would have to be bought sepparately.

P.S.: To be clear, I'd gladly pay for what I described (I have spent over 300 dollars on cosmetics in Elite). I would NOT however pay for paint schemes that could then be lost if my ship sank.

Edited by Kartaugh
Added content

On 16.11.2017 at 9:17 PM, Liq said:

Not sure on sail color

Only "sail colour" i would like to see is more dirty / used sails... im no historian but sails look too clean and most ships look like they were launched just the day before. Only a few have details that make them look like they have been out at sea for a while... like the waterline marks on the surprise... 

And no i don't want to see sails with the spanish cross, some golden dollar signs or a black kraken on them... this would completely ruin the games fantastic visuals for me.

Edited by Landsman

55 minutes ago, Landsman said:

Only "sail colour" i would like to see is more dirty / used sails... im no historian but sails look too clean and most ships look like they were launched just the day before. Only a few have details that make them look like they have been out at sea for a while... like the waterline marks on the surprise... 

And no i don't want to see sails with the spanish cross, some golden dollar signs or a black kraken on them... this would completely ruin the games fantastic visuals for me.

not only the sails look like they're new, the ships do too.

Salt water and exposure to the elements would make the colors of the paint less vibrant/ more muted in color.

And emblems on sails are actually historically accurate. The Portuguese had the Columbus Cross on the sails of their Caravels and Carracks during exploration voyages.

The Spanish would have done something similar i think, as would the Holy Roman Empire.

So, Crosses and double-headed eagles would have been possible...

9 minutes ago, Yngvarr said:

not only the sails look like they're new, the ships do too.

Yeah, that's what i said... sails and ships in general :P

10 minutes ago, Yngvarr said:

Salt water and exposure to the elements would make the colors of the paint less vibrant/ more muted in color.

Exactly, that's what i mean... i wish there were skins for this... would make the game look even more realistic.

11 minutes ago, Yngvarr said:

And emblems on sails are actually historically accurate. The Portuguese had the Columbus Cross on the sails of their Caravels and Carracks during exploration voyages.

The Spanish would have done something similar i think, as would the Holy Roman Empire.

I know but this was during certain time periods only and not all did it... if you look at the average classical painting of age of sail ships... the sails are usually only white but not this brand new snow white we have on the sails in game...