Game-Labs Forum
Iroquois Confederacy

Server Merge Proposal

For a unified serve to work the Conquest must work different. Cannot be as is, all the gamble being decided in one dice throw called "the one PB". And that is the truth, and you know it.

8 minutes ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

That's a ludicrous notion.  Map is huge.  You just don't like Americans, and don't want to be forced to interact with them.

I dont like stupidity.

And you are being stupid.

Just now, The Red Duke said:

For a unified serve to work the Conquest must work different. Cannot be as is, all the gamble being decided in one dice throw called "the one PB". And that is the truth, and you know it.

Gotta work with the tools we have.  There is only one more chance for a wipe to get everyone back together, and that's right before release.  We need to get everyone on one server first, and, if map split by conquest windows is only a band-aid, so be it.  However, split servers are a gaping wound.  We can fix one, but we only have one chance to do it - at a wipe, before release.

Once we get everyone on one server, with different conquest windows as a temporary (if not ideal) fix, and the game is released, let the post-release support improve the quality of conquest.

I think in this case, "Perfect is the enemy of good."

The tool we have is a round planet and stubborn RL affiliations that flood five specific nations with single timezones - US, Sweden, Spain and now Prussia and Commonwealth.

Interesting enough that the other nations are worldwide populated :)

4 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

The tool we have is a round planet and stubborn RL affiliations that flood five specific nations with single timezones - US, Sweden, Spain and now Prussia and Commonwealth.

Interesting enough that the other nations are worldwide populated :)

If we solved the "flooded nations" so to speak, would we be able to resolve the round planet?  (I think the time zone-based map regions would resolve that.)

8 minutes ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

Gotta work with the tools we have.  There is only one more chance for a wipe to get everyone back together, and that's right before release.  We need to get everyone on one server first, and, if map split by conquest windows is only a band-aid, so be it.  However, split servers are a gaping wound.  We can fix one, but we only have one chance to do it - at a wipe, before release.

Once we get everyone on one server, with different conquest windows as a temporary (if not ideal) fix, and the game is released, let the post-release support improve the quality of conquest.

I think in this case, "Perfect is the enemy of good."

We dont need to get everyone on one server. I dont see any reason for this.

What we need is good gamemechanics, UI etc. so the global server can grow again. I dont feel the special need to play NA with players that currently play on global server

3 minutes ago, rediii said:

What we need is good gamemechanics, UI etc. so the global server can grow again. I dont feel the special need to play NA with players that currently play on global server

Thank you for your own personal and individual opinion. Let's keep on hearing others :)

IF mechanics are change to allow a unified server, all good. Don't resist. Embrace change.

2 minutes ago, rediii said:

I do not foresee the Global server growing "again."  It has continued to bleed players at a steady rate, as does the EU server.  Any boost from UI, Localization, and the like will be, likely, temporary, especially if we have two uneven servers.  People will simply not stick around.  We need a critical mass to maintain player base as long as possible.

No matter what happens, the servers will have to merge.  Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but they will have to merge, as MMOs always lose players over time.  We have one real opportunity to do it, and that's before final release.  We need to solve these issues now, so that we can maintain a higher server population as long as possible.  Anything else is shortsighted.

15 hours ago, Intrepido said:

If GB, US or Pirates gets the numbers of both servers combined, no nation will be able to counter that.

so your resistance isnt based on whats good for the game .... according to redii no one can counter the swedes on eu .... whats the difference ..

6 hours ago, rediii said:

Qlso I dont say you should go away. You can play on global server like now or like I think NA works best on a American server with a adjusted conquest window and adjusted maintenance time.

So what about the people who dont like night/work flips but do play during EU primetime? where are they supposed to play?

Would you still have the same opinion if the Devs had set it so that the limited PB time server was set to the US primetime and the other server was left with port battles at anytime. Which server would you choose to play on then?

6 hours ago, rediii said:

Also I proposed regional servers, You didnt get that. In my oppinion the global concept doesnt work. Instead servers have to have a window like on EU server covering a few hours in the US and AS timezones

Regional servers with limited PB times can also cause issues because not everyone in a region has the same work/life schedule. I live in UK but my play time is more suited to early afternoon or very late at night, prime time of 6pm to 11pm does not suit me as I have other commitments. 

A single server could work if people would just be a bit more flexible and not expect everything to be available to them always in their own primetime. As long as you are able to set the time you can defend your ports there should not be much of an issue.

They could even look at bringing in a system where clans could set their own fixed prime time defense, for example clan A when formed would have to nominate a port defense window and that is the window all their ports can be attacked in. Make it so this time could not be changed at short notice and limit who can partake in the attack or defense of a port. The game should move more towards clan based warfare rather than nations, I never understood why they watered down some of the original clan based warfare ideas.

This is the ONLY MMO RVR/PVP game I have ever played that has restrictions because one part of the world cant figure out that it is a MASSIVELY MULTI-PLAYER ONLINE GAME! 

I have played, Eve, WWII Online, Aces High, Warbirds, Anarchy Online, Mortal Online, Wurm Online, Ultima Online... and NONE of those had restrictions based on your timezone.  

Why can't we simply do away with port battles and move to a more gradual conquest scheme? Something that takes place over a full 24 hours or even multiple days? Would that not be inclusive for all players in all timezones? You might say that this would eliminate the "big battle" mechanic. Well, considering some of the recent pot battle results I've seen, they're getting smaller and smaller with the new BR system. If you want a big fight, organize and bring a big fleet, with the understanding that the one big battle doesn't completely decide the fate of a single port.

Not only would this fix the flip issue, it would lengthen conquest as to be more of a long-term game mechanic...something you need in an MMO. 

On 11/16/2017 at 2:44 AM, Iroquois Confederacy said:

3. Merge the players over, and just say, “I am sorry, but, you're going to lose your ship XP and your skill books and your ships.”

Its pretty hello kittyed that this is your best option. Players on both servers have worked for what they have in-game, and if your preferred solution to increase the playerbase involves taking all their stuff away, I don't see you working towards your stated goal...At the very least ship knowledge (books & slots opened) must be maintained. Ships and materials can be replaced.

At this point I don't have a strong preference for merging the servers or not, as long as people still have a working game. However I have seen NO discussion about the latency problems this will introduce; someone will invariably lose out with a one server solution.

As a west coast US player the ping is already bad enough to the Global server; when I look at the server list the EU one is typically 500ms+, with spikes up to 3000ms(?!?). I don't think players would enjoy the game as much with a 1 second delay (500 there, 500 back). I know I wouldn't, using the menus and crafting is already slippery enough, to say nothing of combat.

Everyone wants to see this game grow, including myself. I'm happy with any compromise, as long as the game keeps players at the end of it.

6 hours ago, Grundgemunkey said:

so your resistance isnt based on whats good for the game .... according to redii no one can counter the swedes on eu .... whats the difference ..

Dont change my words to suit you.

Right now, one of the servers (with a mechanic related to pb) is free from all the toxicity we suffer before.

GB and US didnt care at all because you were the ones that promoted that toxicity.

4 hours ago, CoyoteJohn said:

Why can't we simply do away with port battles and move to a more gradual conquest scheme? Something that takes place over a full 24 hours or even multiple days? Would that not be inclusive for all players in all timezones? You might say that this would eliminate the "big battle" mechanic. Well, considering some of the recent pot battle results I've seen, they're getting smaller and smaller with the new BR system. If you want a big fight, organize and bring a big fleet, with the understanding that the one big battle doesn't completely decide the fate of a single port.

Not only would this fix the flip issue, it would lengthen conquest as to be more of a long-term game mechanic...something you need in an MMO. 

Your proposal have a big problem: The nation with 24/7 playerbase will win. 

A nation like France with a playerbase that only play 4-5 hours at a specific time cant compete with a nation like GB, with players from Australia, Europe and America.

5 hours ago, Archaos said:

Regional servers with limited PB times can also cause issues because not everyone in a region has the same work/life schedule. I live in UK but my play time is more suited to early afternoon or very late at night, prime time of 6pm to 11pm does not suit me as I have other commitments. 

A single server could work if people would just be a bit more flexible and not expect everything to be available to them always in their own primetime. As long as you are able to set the time you can defend your ports there should not be much of an issue.

They could even look at bringing in a system where clans could set their own fixed prime time defense, for example clan A when formed would have to nominate a port defense window and that is the window all their ports can be attacked in. Make it so this time could not be changed at short notice and limit who can partake in the attack or defense of a port. The game should move more towards clan based warfare rather than nations, I never understood why they watered down some of the original clan based warfare ideas.

Almost same solution as lord protector system. 

A system quite hated when you see that the port you lost the day before can only be attacked when you are working/sleeping.

5 hours ago, Hodo said:

This is the ONLY MMO RVR/PVP game I have ever played that has restrictions because one part of the world cant figure out that it is a MASSIVELY MULTI-PLAYER ONLINE GAME! 

I have played, Eve, WWII Online, Aces High, Warbirds, Anarchy Online, Mortal Online, Wurm Online, Ultima Online... and NONE of those had restrictions based on your timezone.  

Maybe NA have its own soul and doesnt need to copy other games because they share the category of MMO.

8 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Your proposal have a big problem: The nation with 24/7 playerbase will win. 

A nation like France with a playerbase that only play 4-5 hours at a specific time cant compete with a nation like GB, with players from Australia, Europe and America.

Recruit people outside your timezone. Push for a privateer system where pirates can take a contract to fly under a national flag for a week or two.

There are solutions that will work. Shooting down every idea offered because you only choose to see the drawbacks isn't getting us anywhere. A merge will come, either due to popular support or because the game is dying and can no longer support multiple servers. Might as well be open-minded and offer solutions instead of just naysaying everything.

12 minutes ago, CoyoteJohn said:

Recruit people outside your timezone. Push for a privateer system where pirates can take a contract to fly under a national flag for a week or two.

There are solutions that will work. Shooting down every idea offered because you only choose to see the drawbacks isn't getting us anywhere. A merge will come, either due to popular support or because the game is dying and can no longer support multiple servers. Might as well be open-minded and offer solutions instead of just naysaying everything.

Hahahaha the same as always: recruit people from other timezones.

I dont know if you are new to the game but things do not work that way. People chose between historical nations and some of them are more popular than others.

What we need is working mechanics for all situations, not proposals based on something as unstable/unpredictable as the will of players.

Im going to shout away any idea that dont solve anything and make the game worse. So keep thinking and maybe you will have a good idea.

15 hours ago, Intrepido said:

People can change nations in one click.

WO wont last one week in the french nation of EU server (imagine why).

Aus players will go to GB, as it always happened.

Look at Global, only 3 big nations. 2 of them most of the time allied. No balance.

Do not speak of balance when global, your server, is the best proof of everything that can go wrong.

you presume to know a lot about how people will respond. I don't think you have a clue what people are going to do  how could you? the old world is not the new world my friend. stop living in the past. its been over a year now.

2 hours ago, Intrepido said:

Hahahaha the same as always: recruit people from other timezones.

I dont know if you are new to the game but things do not work that way. People chose between historical nations and some of them are more popular than others.

What we need is working mechanics for all situations, not proposals based on something as unstable/unpredictable as the will of players.

Im going to shout away any idea that dont solve anything and make the game worse. So keep thinking and maybe you will have a good idea.

the dreaded time zone flipping and night flipping is an issue of player population. and its just that simple. population was to low at certain times of the day for nations to have enough for fleets. those mechanics have changed. its time to move on. get all people together so we can all be happy and play the game for the better. everyone wins. 

5 hours ago, King of Crowns said:

you presume to know a lot about how people will respond. I don't think you have a clue what people are going to do  how could you? the old world is not the new world my friend. stop living in the past. its been over a year now.

History repeats itself. Same actions, same consequences. You can predict a lot by looking at the past.

4 hours ago, King of Crowns said:

the dreaded time zone flipping and night flipping is an issue of player population. and its just that simple. population was to low at certain times of the day for nations to have enough for fleets. those mechanics have changed. its time to move on. get all people together so we can all be happy and play the game for the better. everyone wins. 

Most EU nations will have always the same bunch of guys defending it at day and at night. 

You need less people than before but not less than a certain amount.

The BR system do not solve nightflips. Nightflips/workflips must simply do not happen at all.

Circular argument take 639:    sic..."Having RVR outside of my primetime is bad for the game"

Or another way of phrasing the argument is a small vocal group of players are a bit precious and self entitled.

I really hope the devs find a way to rework RVR that maybe produces the least amount of whinging, or do that last total wipe of everything  (clans and all) and roll out global correctly with a description about RVR nerf limits on the EU server.

1 hour ago, Intrepido said:

History repeats itself. Same actions, same consequences. You can predict a lot by looking at the past.

Most EU nations will have always the same bunch of guys defending it at day and at night. 

You need less people than before but not less than a certain amount.

The BR system do not solve nightflips. Nightflips/workflips must simply do not happen at all.

shown you a way to avoid night flips ... workflips ..... but you dont want that either .... history repeats its self when people are inwilling to embrace change