Game-Labs Forum

Battle Sails, another suggestion.

With the current sail setup it doesnt matter if you are at full sails or battle sails, they will have the same number of crew needed.  I find this to be a bit "gamey" and quite frankly stupid.   A real ship would have to have more people on hand to handle the ship at full sails then when the ship is at battle sails.  

This is what I am suggesting.

A ship with a sailing requirement of 100men should have to have 100 men on sails at full sails.   But at battle sails it is running at 40% of sail so it should only need 40 men.   Freeing 60 men for other tasks on the ship.

But with this I also think the number of men required to sail a ship should be drastically increased.

So let us take the ever so common Brig.

It has 110 men on it, 77 minimum to sail the ship.

But only requires 30 men on sails in battle.  Hmm..... Why does it need 77 then to minimally crew the ship?!?!

So I am suggesting that it requires 77men to sail the ship at FULL sails, this way you know that if you are going to go at full sails, you are GOING to need as many men as you can muster to handle all that extra sail aloft.   BUT if you go to battle sails in a fight, you will only need 40% of that 77... or 31 men for sails.. which is about what it is now.

• Like 2

I don't know enough about the sailing requirements for Battle Sails.  It sounds right, but, @maturin would be able to answer more intelligently on that.

think there might be something about an increased turn rate under battle sails?  Or maybe it was proposed and never implemented?  Hard to keep track of what was, what is, and what has merely been proposed over the last few years (at least for me).