Game-Labs Forum

Eliminate small ship griefing

In the original post, he didn’t complain about the snows fighting him. He complained about them stay away up wind just tagging him so he couldn’t leave. They never actually tried to board or sink him. I’ve been in similar situation where small, store bought ships were used to tag the port battle fleet and then just fired a cannon ball at the sails every minute to prevent the fleet from exiting battle. What’s realistic about that. If you’re not actively trying to sink/ capture a ship it should just kick you out of the battle. In basketball all they have 30 seconds to score or they commit a foul. Maybe something like that could be implemented...

Edited by Simon Cadete
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Ships of the line sailed alone multiple times in patrol duties.

And I highly doubt any enemy captain in a small ship would engage a 74 guns with the confidence we do in the game.

I would if I would know there are captains out that actually know how to sail such a ship besides pve missions and rvr fleet engagement. But the truth is most captains dont know how to fight and sail such ships and are easy prey.

A fight starts with the tag. And there most captains start to fail.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, victor said:

In my opinion, the answer (and the actual reason of the complaints about 6-7 rates being accused of being ..... overpowered) lies in the fact that most of "elite" PVPers - sailing their hard-earned extrapimped "pwnmobiles" - hardly stand that also lowbies in average ships are allowed to play the corsair game in a rather efficient way.

Let's adimt it ... the snow is the corsair ship for the masses while the prince is the corsair ship for the middle class!

I like my Mercury :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

LOL Wrong

Roberts next headed for Sierra Leone, arriving on 12 June. Here he was told that two Royal Navy ships, HMS Swallow and HMS Weymouth, had left at the end of April, planning to return before Christmas.[29] On 8 August, he captured two large ships at Point Cestos, now River Cess in Liberia. One of these was the frigate Onslow, transporting soldiers bound for Cape Coast (Cabo Corso) Castle. A number of the soldiers wished to join the pirates, and they were eventually accepted, however they only received a quarter of a pirates pay because they were not sailors most of their lives. The Onslow was converted to become the fourth Royal Fortune.[30] In November and December, the pirates careened their ships and relaxed at Cape Lopez and the island of Annobon.

Black Bart.. or Bartholomew Roberts, captured a 5th rate and was sailing an unrated ship (6th rate).

I often hunt in a 6th rate on the EU server... and if you as a 4th rate captain can not handle a pair of 6th rates then you need to look at your sailing practices.   They are just out sailing you sir, and thus you need to learn to sail better.   Even the current Constitution can turn enough to get a broadside into a Snow, and if you use chain or just aim for the masts you can cripple that ship before it can do anything.   But if you are rocking carronades for PVE missions, well that is on you.  

The Constitution, Wasa, and Wappen all turn as well as a Trincomalee and Belle now so no reason for you to have issues with such a little ship.

I myself have been chased off by a well captained LGV, who on paper didnt stand a chance vs my Prince.   But he was able to pull a great maneuver that put me squarely in his broadside....  I didnt like that 10 gun 9lb chain into my sails....  and I was forced to pull off and come around for a better pass and he just sailed away at his best point and left me.

Those large ships were not 4th rates so thanks for proving my point. I never said I couldn't handle them. I've never lost a 4th rate to a snow. I have been griefed by them constantly as described. Why don't you learn to read before spitting off nonsense?

2 minutes ago, Landsman said:

Wasa, i assume? 

Actually pavel and wappen. I am not scared of wasas because they are 3 click ships for marks and everyone can redeem them. Conclusion 95% of people dont know how to sail them.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

Just now, Malachy said:

Those large ships were not 4th rates so thanks for proving my point. I never said I couldn't handle them. I've never lost a 4th rate to a snow. I have been griefed by them constantly as described. Why don't you learn to read before spitting off nonsense?

You said....

There is no historical context for a 6th rate ever defeating a 4th rate or larger in battle. 

HMS Speedy was a 6th rate, it took a Xebec Frigate (5th rate).

Henry Every captured a 80-gun SoL, Ganj-i-Sawai , with a team of sloop-of-wars....  none of them were bigger than a 6th rate.

17 minutes ago, PG Monkey said:

Captured by 3 6th rates

Haha, nice one!

5 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Acutally pavel and wappen

Well yeah, Wapen has this very nice turnrate. Sadly it's too slow and the turnrate isn't too special anymore with the other 4th rates new buffed turnrates and the Wasa completely trashing it, being broken AF and all... if you stack turnrate buffs on Wasa it makes Wapen look like utter garbage.

As for the pavel... never really played it. What are it's perks? I prefer Buc for the looks alone...

Edited by Landsman

14 minutes ago, PG Monkey said:

I know ..lets take all the ships out of the game ..except for the 1st rates..and make them exactly the same as eachother :)

Please no :( not even kidding...

If anything really pulls me to age of sail and NA is really the schooners and the brigs and all the stories of bravery that involve them and the sea rover types. Maybe one or other frigate but not even comparable, interest wise...

• Like 3

Just now, rediii said:

Every gamemechanic is fine, however broken it is there is a workaround.

Cant click swords? Press F11 2 times. Its fine, no fix needed.

Wasa is strong? Sail a wasa then. No balancing needed

Literally what you are saying. :P

Game mechanics have nothing to do with the fact that a Lineship shouldn't sail alone. That's what i am saying. Please don't misinterpret what i am saying :)

The only thing that is OP about the snow imho, if we want to stick to that page , is it's motorboat like de/accelaration when depowering staysails.

9 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Conclusion 95% of people dont know how to sail them.

It's fairly easy to sail tho... that sailing profile was ridiculous last time i played her. Even with sail damage she turned through the wind on a dime.... ridiculous. But yeah farming noobs in Wasas must be nice :D Can't wait to start playing again...

I love how the Snoh is getting all this love and hate here, thing is... it is the captain sailing it who makes the difference, one broadside of a 4th rate can really ruin your day in a 6th. A skilled captain, will not come in that situation that often.. (happens though, damn wappen sinking me in one go :D)

Some snow's are outfitted to be extra agile, some are outfitted to be speedy, some are outfitted for straight boardings, learn the captains, learn their tactics and you will come out victorious,
also learn sailing profiles, as it will help you escape if faced by a stronger captain. And sometimes you just lose, just man up say GG and go to your next ship.

Just don't underestimate any ship (how small they might look...) , oh and yes battles can take long vs small ships, they have to fight differently, small guns, small damage, it just takes longer...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Landsman said:

It's fairly easy to sail tho... that sailing profile was ridiculous last time i played her. Even with sail damage she turned through the wind on a dime.... ridiculous. But yeah farming noobs in Wasas must be nice :D Can't wait to start playing again...

Just look at moscalbs twitch. As he farmed prussian players with his pirate lgv. There was no prussian player who deserved to win the battle because sailing a SOL.

I made a meme regarding that:

driving-skills_o_1719735.jpg

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

My premise has never changed. I've thrown out multiple ideas to eliminate the griefing. The shit ship captains of course are going to raise hell because they've enjoyed griefing larger ships for a long time now. No one wants to have to adapt to new mechanics. Well the rest of us don't want to be griefed by little ships either, so balance must be struck somewhere. The developers are working on ship rebalance as we speak, maybe they will be able to get some ideas to fix this aspect of the problem here in this thread. For the most part all I see from the 6th rate captains here is "don't take away my ability to pester other folks and force them to remain in a pointless battle for an hour and a half". The same argument goes to 6th rates. If you want to tag a bigger ship, sail alongside a bigger ship to allow you to engage them. You should be able to solo in virtually any ship with a relative ability to be able to bring a fight to conclusion in some form. When a battle lasts an hour and a half and I'm sailing away in a virtually intact 4th rate after being pestered by two snows for the entire time which have zero chance of forcing the fight to conclusion, there is a problem. @admin @Ink 

2 minutes ago, Christendom said:

meh combat is never going to be 100% perfect or historically accurate in this game.  Big ships typically didn't sail alone, don't sail alone in game either.  

Actually they did, a lot especially large frigates like the Connie and the 74s

7 minutes ago, rediii said:

I dont sail a bf109

*yawn*

nor wind is your energy, right ?, but hey, to each its own. Keep turning with a ship that has way shorter length. 

The Thach Weave was a well done tactic by the frigate captains and they ain't flying Hellcats, but it worked perfectly.

( by the way the entire subject is about the non stop tagging by smaller ships to bigger ships. I get that. I simply don't get that the mechanic isn't brought up when is the big ones tagging the smaller ones non stop when they have absolutely no chance to do anything... like a damn peasant Wasa trying to grab hold of her Majesty the Privateer, but hey, was fun to make fun of her... here wasa wasa wasa... here wasa wasa wasa... until I simply got bored... *sigh* )