rediii

Thickness Upgrades

Is it too much?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Too much?

• Yes
    • No

simple Question.

Is 12% thickness without any negative effects too much?

I think participents of the cap francais pkrtbattle noticed how hard it is to penetrate a 1st rate with over 100 thickness on the side. Is it good that cartahena and navy struc refit are stackable?

Edited by rediii

Voted Yes.

The impact is to harsh stacked with Carta.

No chance to penetrate from medium distance, need to get into spitting distance.

That limits the tactics teams can use in bigger battles and feels not very realistic (knowing how the Penetration of a 24lb can be - see Bofors tests).

Carta alone was already to high, now it gets "fantastic". ;) 

2 minutes ago, Lord Gud said:

How about giving navy structure refit  -% HP or something that would balance it.

I think they shouldnt be stackable. This would also decrease the value of cartagena. 

Just now, Anolytic said:

Your Victorys had over 100 cm of armour? 

If I do the math a 1st rate in liveoak whiteoak gets to 101 or so cm. other 1st rates land at 98 or so cm

4 minutes ago, rediii said:

I think they shouldnt be stackable. This would also decrease the value of cartagena. 

15 pvp marks for Navy Structure Refit? I wouldn't spend 15 pvp marks for 5% compared to 500k-1mill 7% Cartagena.

EDIT - 1 pvp mark goes for 100-200k on Global if anyone would even dare selling them

Edited by Lord Gud

15 pvp marks for Navy Structure Refit? I wouldn't spend 15 pvp marks for 5% compared to 500k-1mill 7% Cartagena.

Depends if you can get a hand on cartagena upgrades at all or not

Even before it was very hard to penetrate 1st rates. 

Its okay that shots from smaller ships bounce but 1st rate vs 1st rate shouldnt be so hard to penetrate.

Maybe buff pen on class 1 cannons?

I also recommend not to allow the stacking of any upgrades.

That way it would just be possible to have one upgrade of a certain category (e.g. just a Gazelle and not a Gazelle plus a Cotton Sail upgrade).

Thus the type of ship as well as the build of it, would become even more important and unrealisticly high values for thickness, speed and so on avoided.

5 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Even before it was very hard to penetrate 1st rates. 

Its okay that shots from smaller ships bounce but 1st rate vs 1st rate shouldnt be so hard to penetrate.

Maybe buff pen on class 1 cannons?

This is how you ruin things, buff one thing because another is OP...

This is how you ruin things, buff one thing because another is OP...

Yeah I agree but I dont think devs will change upgrades since they just introduced it. So its better to have higher pen on the big cannons then no change imo.

Gee whiz, who would've thought that introducing even more mods would cause balance issues.

pen of class 1 cannons are ok I think. But these 24 pounders dont realy pen already. Lets not even talk about 12 pounder or carros 

Edited by rediii

Maybe give a huuuuuuuge penalty in terms of speed and turn rate if more than one thick mod is installed, so that the ship will result in a sitting brick.

Edited by victor

I think it makes sense if the thickness increase comes with a weight increase on the ship, thus slowing the ship down.

Just like a speed increase mod should make the ship lighter, and thus heel more and/or have less hit points or armor thickness.

How about removing all of the ridiculous OP, no malus PvP upgrades which are fueling PvP alt farming instead of actual PvP, and replace them with paints and custom pennants?

3 hours ago, rediii said:

simple Question.

Is 12% thickness without any negative effects too much?

I think participents of the cap francais pkrtbattle noticed how hard it is to penetrate a 1st rate with over 100 thickness on the side. Is it good that cartahena and navy struc refit are stackable?

The better solution is to bring gun pens to more realistic parameters and distance drops. In addition to slight reduction of percentage bonuses on thickness

Just now, admin said:

The better solution is to bring gun pens to more realistic parameters and distance drops. In addition to slight reduction of percentage bonuses on thickness

and decrease the accuracy of the guns. 

7 minutes ago, Hodo said:

and decrease the accuracy of the guns. 

realistic parameters = in reality 4lb penetrated 90cm of wood easily at 150-200m (unless hitting the thick liveoak frame)
the main drawback of course - everyone will be sailing demasted :)

8 minutes ago, admin said:

I like every change that allows us to penetrate and do damage. :D

Little bonus would be that 18 pound and 24 pound frigates are useable again in big battles