Smuggler flag

Smuggler flag to be or not to be  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which solution?

• Simple solution
    • Advanced solution
    • No solution - It's good as it is

We get it Rigge, it is about the LGV.

But a change in mechanic going to affect the smuggler mechanic, not a ship.

Hence the community are liking the proposal of  - remove smuggler status if attack. All good.

Should a nation Open Ports be removed as an option as well ? Any ship can use those, no need for smuggler flag.

8 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

We get it Rigge, it is about the LGV.

But a change in mechanic going to affect the smuggler mechanic, not a ship.

Hence the community are liking the proposal of  - remove smuggler status if attack. All good.

Should a nation Open Ports be removed as an option as well ? Any ship can use those, no need for smuggler flag.

If that ever becomes a problem we can look into it at a later date.

Im not into restrictions. But I can tell we do not have warships being able to dock in enemy ports while using smuggler flag for a good reason.

Am I mistaken?

1 minute ago, The Red Duke said:

You are not incorrect, warships can dock but not get out unless in fleet.

Then I have to ask you.

Should an LGV or the refit thereof, sailed under the command of a good PVP player, fitted for the intentions of PVP be able to dock up in an enemy harbor after they have jumped a much weaker opponent in the forms of a much less experienced player, without facing any consequences for being around enemy water e.g. a coast guard fleet. Or a worthy opponent the likes of an equally experienced PVP player?

Your personal opinion is what Im asking for on this matter.

That's the million dollar suggestion of this thread :) correct ? See my signature text.

Given several players already gave their opinion and that the subject is under scrutiny by the devs we shall have to respect any further developments.

I do respect your suggestion, I simply do not agree with it entirely due to facts previously presented. Regarding new players, I already gave some pointers, mainly for the veterans to share knowledge.

I do not see any problem with opening a private message with a player that just had a good game against me and asking how he handled the wind so good, or how to best use this type of ammunition, etc.

It is all linked in my perspective. Lack of knowledge is often perceived as "magic" or "exploit". In this case, I keep saying the trader ship will melt under the guns of the warship.

3 hours ago, Rigge1988 said:

Wouldn't that still be an advantage as they can run around for say 5 minutes and then dock up and come back?

What I suggest is they have to run back to neutral/national or free port to enable it again.

A player in an LGV engaging others in combat hardly have any intentions of trading which the smuggler flag was intended for.

The biggest flaw in your suggestion Rigge is that safety tags would be off limits to traders.

For example, a player sails 1 hour to smuggle inside an enemy port (for trading purposes)... 5 minutes before getting to port, 2 enemy players start chasing him, so he makes a defensive tag to avoid being killed. Upon escaping battle, he would have to sail an hour back home to re enable the smuggler's flag and have wasted 2 hours of gameplay. 

This is something that you and the 27 other people who voted "Advanced Solution" did not think of. Or maybe you would rather ruin trader's days just for a chance to revenge fleet a lonely LGV. Go back to the drawing board mate. 

Just now, Capn Rocko said:

The biggest flaw in your suggestion Rigge is that safety tags would be off limits to traders.

For example, a player sails 1 hour to smuggle inside an enemy port (for trading purposes)... 5 minutes before getting to port, 2 enemy players start chasing him, so he makes a defensive tag to avoid being killed. Upon escaping battle, he would have to sail an hour back home to re enable the smuggler's flag and have wasted 2 hours of gameplay. 

This is something that you and the 27 other people who voted "Advanced Solution" did not think of. Or maybe you would rather ruin trader's days just for a chance to revenge fleet a lonely LGV. Go back to the drawing board mate. 

The trade off is... dont defensive tag.  Just learn to counter sail vs their tag.   Pagan Pete has done it to me...  It is effective.

50 minutes ago, Vile Executioner said:

blockade pirates from leaving like history says. read up on blackbeard and captain morgain

once they are in the port they can not leave lol

Sounds like a fun game. Not a game I would play tho. Camping stations I mean ports* is a waste of time as your opponent simply log off and do other things, play other games etc.

Not like he's gonna sit there and wait for you to take a bio break.

But what's next? Should I open a suggestion about a local chat where you can see who enters the area through chat?

That's a game called EVE Online.

20 minutes ago, Capn Rocko said:

There once was a time where we could avoid getting sunk without defensive tags. Oh. Yeah. That could've been before abusing smuggler flag was trending. Mate.

This comment literally makes 0 sense. Please elaborate

I have personally never had to use a defensive tag to get away. I would rather sail smart from the beginning. Like taking on trades which can be done in a suitable ship. If Im going to an enemy harbour I would go with a trader's brig or a lynx. But then again im only trading crafting materials. So the I think it was patch 11 ? Sure did help out alot since crafting materials got lighter.

Been caught once btw, when I was stupid enough to AFK sail in a trader's lynx.

Might aswell point out that I do quite a fair amount of trading. I would say Im an average trader. My economy doesn't stand or fall because of it.

And Im not just any new comer who wants to see things in a different way. I was here when we got smuggler flag in the first place. I still know the argument as to why. And it was never meant to be easy to trade from enemy ports. Neither was it meant to be used as a possible escape from PVP.

Some people, perhaps including you, seem to be scared of changes. You are extremely, with all rights, cautious to restrictions. But you have to realize that the way the current smuggler flag works is potentially harming the game. Like I stated before. A clan mate of mine was attacked. We formed a coast guard to hunt this person down. He went into port, philipsburg to be precise. I then personally sat there together with a guy from another clan, waiting for nearly two hours for this person to come out. Which as you might guess, never happened.

My clanmate was first of all sad about the loss of his ship. I told him we could replace it. Then I had to explain to him how the game mechanics work. And you may say he is more sad about that. Cause he like the game but he think it's unfair, and by all means I agree with him, that a person can be around capital waters and just gank the ever living hell out of less experienced players. Without as I mentioned before, consequences.

I can guarantee you that it will be easier to find new ways to escape an enemy when you are getting tagged than finding a way around people abusing broken game mechanics.

Cause the only way around abusive people is avoiding them. Ergo quit playing.

Do I need to elaborate more?

3 minutes ago, Rigge1988 said:

I have personally never had to use a defensive tag to get away. I would rather sail smart from the beginning. Like taking on trades which can be done in a suitable ship. If Im going to an enemy harbour I would go with a trader's brig or a lynx. But then again im only trading crafting materials. So the I think it was patch 11 ? Sure did help out alot since crafting materials got lighter.

Been caught once btw, when I was stupid enough to AFK sail in a trader's lynx.

Might aswell point out that I do quite a fair amount of trading. I would say Im an average trader. My economy doesn't stand or fall because of it.

And Im not just any new comer who wants to see things in a different way. I was here when we got smuggler flag in the first place. I still know the argument as to why. And it was never meant to be easy to trade from enemy ports. Neither was it meant to be used as a possible escape from PVP.

Some people, perhaps including you, seem to be scared of changes. You are extremely, with all rights, cautious to restrictions. But you have to realize that the way the current smuggler flag works is potentially harming the game. Like I stated before. A clan mate of mine was attacked. We formed a coast guard to hunt this person down. He went into port, philipsburg to be precise. I then personally sat there together with a guy from another clan, waiting for nearly two hours for this person to come out. Which as you might guess, never happened.

My clanmate was first of all sad about the loss of his ship. I told him we could replace it. Then I had to explain to him how the game mechanics work. And you may say he is more sad about that. Cause he like the game but he think it's unfair, and by all means I agree with him, that a person can be around capital waters and just gank the ever living hell out of less experienced players. Without as I mentioned before, consequences.

I can guarantee you that it will be easier to find new ways to escape an enemy when you are getting tagged than finding a way around people abusing broken game mechanics.

Cause the only way around abusive people is avoiding them. Ergo quit playing.

Do I need to elaborate more?

Ill meet you in the middle and take back the defensive tagging comment, because I too am not a big fan of it. I guess my point here was that in order to make any change, there are other factors and gameplay mechanics that need to be considered too.

IMO, the smuggler flag is not the issue here at all. Safe zones are the issue. Safe zones should actually be SAFE and if a player decides to leave a safe zone, they should know the consequences. It is a big embarrassment to lose to a LGV. If your clan mates cannot handle themselves in a 1v1 against one of the worst PvP ships in the game, then they should not have any business outside of their safe zone. Period. 

Also keep in mind that Sweden is listed as a very hard nation to play because it only has 1 safe zone. This puts more pressure on you to better prepare your new players for the dangers that they may face in OW. This leads to the second issue that I see...

The second issue here (IMO) is the lack of a gameplay mechanic to practice PvP with friends and clan mates. If there was a "friendly duel" option, much could be done within the safe zone to better prepare players for the dangers at sea. Since this is not a gameplay mechanic, the only real way to get PvP experience is to take new players out of the safe zone to fight more experienced players and risk losing ships. If you are not currently doing this, then you are severely handicapping your new players. 

It is not that I am afraid of change, I am just not quick to jump on the bandwagon with someone who is clearly angry, frustrated, and complaining about the wrong things (IMO). Until the developers make it easier, I suggest moving to the British or US nations. Reinforcement zones are much bigger there and you will find much less of a headache. 

Also keep in mind that Sweden is listed as a very hard nation to play because it only has 1 safe zone.

His issue is not with the safe zones, but it is with the smuggler flag abuse by some people.  But we have a lengthy discussion about this already.  

43 minutes ago, Capn Rocko said:

Ill meet you in the middle and take back the defensive tagging comment, because I too am not a big fan of it. I guess my point here was that in order to make any change, there are other factors and gameplay mechanics that need to be considered too.

IMO, the smuggler flag is not the issue here at all. Safe zones are the issue. Safe zones should actually be SAFE and if a player decides to leave a safe zone, they should know the consequences. It is a big embarrassment to lose to a LGV. If your clan mates cannot handle themselves in a 1v1 against one of the worst PvP ships in the game, then they should not have any business outside of their safe zone. Period. 

Also keep in mind that Sweden is listed as a very hard nation to play because it only has 1 safe zone. This puts more pressure on you to better prepare your new players for the dangers that they may face in OW. This leads to the second issue that I see...

The second issue here (IMO) is the lack of a gameplay mechanic to practice PvP with friends and clan mates. If there was a "friendly duel" option, much could be done within the safe zone to better prepare players for the dangers at sea. Since this is not a gameplay mechanic, the only real way to get PvP experience is to take new players out of the safe zone to fight more experienced players and risk losing ships. If you are not currently doing this, then you are severely handicapping your new players. 

It is not that I am afraid of change, I am just not quick to jump on the bandwagon with someone who is clearly angry, frustrated, and complaining about the wrong things (IMO). Until the developers make it easier, I suggest moving to the British or US nations. Reinforcement zones are much bigger there and you will find much less of a headache. 

Thanks for the kind invite, Im fine tho. Mostly cause the problem would follow no matter which nation you play in.

Im not particularly angry. Just annoyed that people are actually defending this behaviour.

It's an alpha, game play will change during this time. We're game owners and testers at the same time. We're here to report things we are unhappy about. Finding faulty game mechanics is just scratching the surface. I would for example not wish to buy naval action the day it's released to find myself hunting the white rabbit without a chance to catch him.

Edited by Rigge1988
  • Like 3

On 11/10/2017 at 5:26 AM, Anne Wildcat said:

I don't know. I know people before wipe that used LGV + marines as raid ship.  Maybe the new refit has just made it more popular?

Edit:

I believe @CaptVonGunn used to sail around on the LGV, wait to be attacked, play stupid and then get boarded and win or it was someone else in Sorry at the time I was a member that did that. 

Maybe:)