Smuggler flag

Smuggler flag to be or not to be  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which solution?

• Simple solution
    • Advanced solution
    • No solution - It's good as it is

Simple solution:

Make smuggler flag only available for trader's brig and down.

This way we get rid of the lame smuggler flag abuse on LGV's and now also LGV Refit.

Could also benefit RvR. Since you can't sail after your heavy trading goods with an indiaman in an enemy port. This way you'd have to conquer that port.

Explanation: You will not be able to enable smuggler flag for ANY ship above trader's brig.

Oooor...

Advanced solution:

Smuggler flag gets disabled once you have attacked someone in battle.

Wouldn't that be realistic? You're pretty much detected as a smuggler if you were to attack someone?

Makes sense to me...

Explanation: You'd lose your smuggler flag if you attack anything. You can enable smuggler flag for ANY trader ship still. But you will have to go back to national/free/neutral port to re-enable.

Edited by Rigge1988
  • Like 4

The bigger traders should also be able to smuggle. It is a risk/rewards thing. I am totally on board with your second suggestion however. I was planning to write a suggestion of it, but you beat me to it. I concur with the idea that it makes no sense for smugglers to also be hunting ships. Smugglers would naturally try to avoid detection. If you tag someone into battle, smugglers reveal themselves and smuggler tag should be automatically disabled and you have to go back to a national or neutral port to reset it.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

The bigger traders should also be able to smuggle. It is a risk/rewards thing. I am totally on board with your second suggestion however. I was planning to write a suggestion of it, but you beat me to it. I concur with the idea that it makes no sense for smugglers to also be hunting ships. Smugglers would naturally try to avoid detection. If you tag someone into battle, smugglers reveal themselves and smuggler tag should be automatically disabled and you have to go back to a national or neutral port to reset it.

As much as I hate polls, I added one. I had to give in and realize it's good for a better overview.

I would prefer to see the advanced solution but as far as Im concerned devs prefer simple solutions. ( yeah im still a bit sore about the economy flipflop )

43 minutes ago, Rigge1988 said:

Simple solution:

Make smuggler flag only available for trader's brig and down.

This way we get rid of the lame smuggler flag abuse on LGV's and now also LGV Refit.

Could also benefit RvR. Since you can't sail after your heavy trading goods with an indiaman in an enemy port. This way you'd have to conquer that port.

Oooor...

Advanced solution:

Smuggler flag gets disabled once you have attacked someone in battle.

Wouldn't that be realistic? You're pretty much detected as a smuggler if you were to attack someone?

Makes sense to me...

Neither.....  You shouldn't even Know someone has a smuggler flag set...  I mean it is so stupid.. Sailing into Any port with a flag flying that tells the world your a smuggler. WHo would do that?

• Like 1

Well, I love LGV's for actually smuggling, so I wouldn't concur with simple solution.  I do however like your advanced offering.  It seems to make sense, helps with the hide in port problem for large traders that attack, and still allows for smuggling larger cargos.  Seems so simple, why isn't it done already?

49 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

LGV has way less firepower than Renomee, it matches Niagara... Losing fight to LGV is a huge shame. 

I see another issue, smuggler flag has no drawbacks. I am using it 24/7.

unless they changed it ..it has 1 draw back... team mates can attack you freely.... 

5 hours ago, Peter Goldman said:

Now exploit is gone, so...

tp to outpost was not an exploit. smuggler was removed because nationals started to use it as a protective device - having one smuggler around you allowed you to attack him and hide in the battle. so...

• Like 1

When you want to minimize risk you sail a small trader, when you want to maximize risk you sail an lgv or indiaman. It's a playerschoice.

It has been suggested before, to maybe have something like the 'recently killed'-indication. When a trader/smuggler initiated an attack, that trader can't enter a hostile port (for half an hour or longer/shorter).

Like Goldman, I always have/had 'smuggler' on (also when smugglers could still be attacked by own nationals, I never have been attacked ), atm it makes no difference anyway. We might just aswell let traders enter enemy ports without the flag, they are the only ships that can enter anyway. Atm it is useless.

And losing with a warship against a trader ... sorry, but that is your own fault?

• Like 1

Can't vote on this as I prefer other optoin.  Treated as pirate while smuggler flag is on and any one can attack you even your own nation.  This will stop folks from running around with it on all the time.  Pirates do ti cause well every one can attack us any way, well every one could until FFA battles was removed.    If your want to smuggle you need to be sneaky about it or be treated like a pirate/smuggler/criminal.

The other thing is it creates a battle against a Pirate Smuggler, but pirates can only join that side as if they are pirates.  Thus they should be treated as pirates when they have the flag on.

Well to be realistic about it, when smuggling I wouldn't fly a smuggler flag. I'd fly the flag of the nation whose port I wanted to enter.

So if I wanted to smuggle into KPR I'd fly the British flag, Charleston the US flag or Mortimer a Jolly Roger etc.

How crazy would open world be then with everyone flying the wrong flags at will?

• Like 1

As a guy who has used the Smuggler flag option as a LGV in the past... WAY before this patch, I find it funny that people are just now complaining about it.  I used a Trader Snow to hunt in the Bahamas before the wipe and people didnt complain then.  It only had 6 guns on it.  But was more than enough to take down unarmed trader brigs. 

I used an LGV as soon as I could get one, and used the smuggler flag... I would catch trader brigs running from Bermuda to the US, or elsewhere then take the goods to South Carolina and sell them.    But people didnt complain then.

Now that there is a Pirate LGV people cry about it.  This has been an issue for a while and no one said a thing.  So if it wasnt an issue before, why is it suddenly a problem now.   Learn to hunt better.

• Like 1

Impressive in a way, to see that 20 people don't see any issues with the current smuggler flag where people can grab an LGV or LGV refit and gank people within the safe zone, often but not exclusively new players. And when a coast guard gets assembled they can just dock up in any harbour and log off to do something else for a few hours and then come back. Without having to face any consequences.

How about just make it so that trader's can't tag or join battles?

The LGV Refit would then be rather useless for what people use it for today.

15 minutes ago, Rigge1988 said:

Impressive in a way, to see that 20 people don't see any issues with the current smuggler flag where people can grab an LGV or LGV refit and gank people within the safe zone, often but not exclusively new players. And when a coast guard gets assembled they can just dock up in any harbour and log off to do something else for a few hours and then come back. Without having to face any consequences.

How about just make it so that trader's can't tag or join battles?

The LGV Refit would then be rather useless for what people use it for today.

Honestly it isnt the Smuggler flag as an issue. 

If you get jumped by a LGV or PLGV near a friendly port, and get capped or sunk, that is on you.  More so if you are in a warship of ANY rating.  Sorry but any captain that loses a 5th rate frigate to a PLGV is not worthy of his command to start with. 

4 minutes ago, rediii said:

You cant call reinforcements if you vet attacked by a lgv?

The three new nations do not have the commodities of old nations.

But seeing three ships, two of them pretty much 4th rates, along with a chase frigate, being handled their bacon by these refits( a pair of them ) brings to discussion a whole new spectrum of what is indeed the issue.

I reckon it is both. The choice of a "Impossible" nation, should be a clue and it states clearly there's no zones nor capital waters. Secondly, an adamant resistance to practice and wish to adapt by use of new sailing techniques.

3 minutes ago, rediii said:

You cant call reinforcements if you vet attacked by a lgv?

You can call reinforcements but the "new" trend is to wait for people who attack those enemy fleets/ships that roam around OW.

If you get jumped in such a battle you can't call reinforcements.

And new players, hell even I, thought you'd be safe within the reinforcement zone regardless.

After yesterdays event I got fed up with the complete bullshit nonsense about the smuggler flag harbour hiding.

• Like 1

Just now, Rigge1988 said:

You can call reinforcements but the "new" trend is to wait for people who attack those enemy fleets/ships that roam around OW.

And new players, hell even I, thought you'd be safe within the reinforcement zone regardless.

After yesterdays event I got fed up with the complete bullshit nonsense about the smuggler flag harbour hiding.

This is a sign you need to get out away from towns, away from friendly ports.  On EU server I hunt far from most pirate ports (I am a pirate there).   And on Global I am Spanish, and I will patrol the US coastline or the northern Yucatan coast.   Never had an issue with smuggler flags. 

4 minutes ago, Rigge1988 said:

You have a fair point and this is where asking stuff is important. more than the credit people give it.

- Missions in the Zones will close immediately.

- Attacking OW AI stays open for 3 minutes.

- You can call reinforcement by - releasing mouse pointer with pressing the CTRL key and then clicking the Call reinforcement button.

I would think the nation's veetran would share these simple things with the new bloods but apparently not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Honestly it isnt the Smuggler flag as an issue. 

If you get jumped by a LGV or PLGV near a friendly port, and get capped or sunk, that is on you.  More so if you are in a warship of ANY rating.  Sorry but any captain that loses a 5th rate frigate to a PLGV is not worthy of his command to start with. 

An LGV using smuggler flag is pretty much untouchable as the LGV has a different sailing profile than most square rigs. Only ships that COULD have a chance would be another LGV, the refit, pirfrig or surp. You'd be pretty much chanceless if you face a boarding fitted lgv refit unless you get lucky and get a mast or two. The swivels are insane against crew.

Now Im not saying they are faster cause they have smuggler flag enabled. But that enables them to jump into any harbour where they can hide.

How people can't see any issues with that is beyond me. Tell a new player about this issue once he has been jumped by one and he will probably rethink his choice of game.

I certainly would. "Sorry we couldn't get him cause he is now hiding in our national port, probably logged off by now" - Great.

That kind of make me ashamed. To be wanting to see good things coming out of this game, explaining possible thoughts from the devs, defending poor mechanics with "it will be better" yet losing players to grief and abuse of game mechanics.

• Like 3

I remember before the safe zones, there was a group of players hunting with LGVs around our capital. 

They ran away and started hiding in one of our ports.

I left after blockading our own port for an hour or so.

That is just stupid if you ask me.

Edited by Demsity
  • Like 2