Game-Labs Forum

Dynamic BR

We had some chats in discord and were talking about some BR issues (e.g. wasa being placed at the same BR as Connie, Aggie and Wapen while being better at 90% of the stats).

@The Red Duke then came up with the idea of a dynamic ship BR.

Basically the Battle Rating would then depend on:

BaseBR + modules + cannons + skillbooks (+ maybe woods and player stats)

Player stats could mess with port battles so not sure on that .

So if you had cartagena refit on your ship, it would have an increased BR (maybe 5% of the base BR)

Ships with more BR should then also give more rewards when sank.

But overall I think having a more dynamic BR system would be great. Would still have to have a look at the base BRs though (wasa, hermione, pirate frig, buc, ...)

(We already sort of have this implemented with crew (undercrewed ships have lower BR), so why not go further?)

Edited by Liq
  • Like 10

It is a tradeoff mechanic, not the end of all things. Plus it is a abstract assessment of a ship relative strength.

The same way IRL captains did make the mistake of wrongly attacking a 74 gun thinking it was an indiaman, they did the mistake of attacking seemingly weaker ships just to find out they were vastly outmatched in skill.

1 minute ago, rediii said:

If they thought its a indiaman but it was a 3rd rate they got outmatched by cannons and crew I guess. :P

Sadly reality has such things. By the time you identify all details on enemy vessel you will be too close for comfort IRL, not 50 miles away as per game ofc, sail plans were pretty similar. Was just an example.

Back to Dynamic BR.

Regarding PBs

We now have a PB diversity, moved on from 25 mono ship fleets.

However from what I have seen it lead to some weird situations where one side in smaller ships was forced to kite and cap zones.

What about a different given fleet setup for every port? So e.g. Port au Prince 5x 1st rate 7x 2nd rate 13x 3rd rate

And introduce more different deep water ports with 5th rate setups

Would serve for variety from port to port and also be fair

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liq said:

BaseBR + modules + cannons + skillbooks (+ maybe woods and player stats)

Another thing that has been asked before.  Crew also matters here, I mean if you can or cannot fully crew.

Winning green ships when you had fully exceptional felt slightly cheating.  You really never knew are you good or is it just because of your gear.

1 hour ago, Liq said:

What about a different given fleet setup for every port? So e.g. Port au Prince 5x 1st rate 7x 2nd rate 13x 3rd rate

This was an idea that I submitted last year; based on a photo of a modern fleet configuration that I attached to the post.

Whichever way the Dev's finally decide to go will be much better than the old system that was recently discarded..

I'm in favor of the original post regarding dynamic BR as long as the effect is subtle while still be meaningful.

Edited by Captiva
wording

Great idea - Defibetly would appreciate seeing this in coming patches.

If you have the time, could you establish a free-for-changes BR bonus for all/the most important updates? I feel it would add to the original post and gives a better base of understanding and easier implementation. 

I like the idea of dynamic BR.

The mentioned problems with the PB fleet composition might be solved with the proposed set slots for 1st rates, 2nd rates and so on - different for each port.

But even if that wouldn‘t be realised - a new BR system in my opinion is a MUST HAVE since quite a long time now.

@admin: Is there any reason why you - for so far - refrained from reworking the BR ballance?

Edited by Navalus Magnus
  • Like 1

What about that one for a start (reflecting status quo)!?

Santissima Trinidad 625

L‘Ocean 625

Victory 600

Bucentaure 550

St. Pavel 500

Bellona 450

3rd Rate 400

Wasa 400

Agamemnon 325

Wapen von Hamburg 325

Ingermanland 300

Constitution 300

Indefatigable 250

Endymion 225

Trincomale 225

Pirate Frigate 200

Essex 200

Frigate 180

Belle Poule 180

Santa Cécilia 180

Indiaman 180

L‘Hermione 160

Surprise 160

Renomee 140

Le Gros Ventre 140

Cerberus 120

Niagara 100

Heavy Rattlesnake 80

Mercury 80

Mortar Brig 75

Navy Brig 70

Prince de Neufchatel 65

Snow 65

Rattlesnake 60

Brig 60

Privateer 50

Pickel 50

Cutter 30

Lynx 20

Trader Snow 15

Trader Brig 15

Trader Cutter 10

Trader Lynx 10

Edited by Navalus Magnus

I think the limiting of BR at 650 is not ideal.

The BR "range" needs to be expanded or adjusted.

Again the Devs are working on the stat and BR balance as we speak and when it comes out we should all test it and give proper feedback.

Edited by Teutonic
  • Like 1