Game-Labs Forum

POLL: A change in PvP mark distribution

PvP mark distribution  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should PvP marks be distributed by damage done to the winner and the loser?

• Yes, I find that not only the winner of the battle should get PvP marks for a kill.
    • No, I find only the winner should get PvP marks leaving the other side standing without a reward and without a ship

Hello

I find that PvP marks should be distributed, like XP, for damage done. If you sink an enemy player you should get a few more marks. If you get an assist same applies. However the damage done  to an enemy ship is the most important part. This can be boarding damage and the sinking of an enemy vessel. With this system the damage is the most important part  for PvP marks with the kill being a cherry on top (a few more marks). I do not suggest that through this system more PvP marks would be given for the sinking of a ship type, however more PvP marks would be handed out to players based on damage done. Therefore both sides get PvP marks (more than before in total) but the individual player does not get more. It's just a fairer system. Basically the important thing: One side does NOT get less PvP marks in this suggestion. The PvP mark are NOT split between the two parties.

Basically:

Damaging an enemy vessel gives a rising amount of PvP marks for the damage done. Sinking an enemy vessel gives the full amount of PvP marks possible if no other player did any damage, even if you didn't take both broadside HPs down. If you sink the enemy vessel but your friend did a lot of damage to the enemy as well, the full amount of PvP marks possible (sincethe enemy ship has sunk) would be split at a ratio on how much damage is done. Getting a kill would always give more PvP marks, while getting an assist would give 0-2 more PvP marks on top of the damage marks. To avoid abuse one sides ship must sink or be captured in the battle for combat marks to be distributed. If more players are involved the numbers would scale, however the kills can be spread unevenly across both sides. This would be disabled in port battles.

Right now the system is unfair to the losing side. This system  would encourage more fair PvP  in OW as both sides would be rewarded.                  

Extra bits and bobs:

If you capture the enemy vessel you get no PvP marks for the kill and only half of the PvP marks you got for damaging the vessel.

Questions? Ask below before casting your vote.

Edited by Lz3

6 minutes ago, Lz3 said:

Hello

I find that PvP marks should be distributed, like XP, for damage done. If you sink an enemy player you should get a few more marks. If you get an assist same applies. However the damage done  to an enemy ship is the most important part. This can be boarding damage and the sinking of an enemy vessel. With this system the damage is the most important part  for PvP marks with the kill being a cherry on top (a few more marks). I do not suggest that through this system more PvP marks would be given for the sinking of a ship type, however more PvP marks would be handed out to players based on damage done. Therefore both sides get PvP marks (more than before in total) but the individual player does not get more. It's just a fairer system.

Basically:

Damaging an enemy vessel gives a rising amount of PvP marks for the damage done. Sinking an enemy vessel gives the full amount of PvP marks possible if no other player did any damage, even if you didn't take both broadside HPs down. If you sink the enemy vessel but your friend did a lot of damage to the enemy as well, the full amount of PvP marks possible (sincethe enemy ship has sunk) would be split at a 65%-35% ratio or something along those lines. Getting a kill would always give more PvP marks, while getting an assist would give 0-2 more PvP marks on top of the damage marks.

Right now the system is unfair to the losing side. This system  would encourage more fair PvP  in OW as both sides would be rewarded.                  

Questions? Ask bellow before casting your vote.

Huge problem. You arrange with a friend in another nation to fight. You both sit next to each other, kill almost the entire side, but stop before sinking. You both exit the battle, repair in port (for nothing) and repeat. 

Even better, you do it with your alt.

Sorry, but it would just be way too easy to abuse. 

6 minutes ago, EliteDelta said:

Huge problem. You arrange with a friend in another nation to fight. You both sit next to each other, kill almost the entire side, but stop before sinking. You both exit the battle, repair in port (for nothing) and repeat. 

Even better, you do it with your alt.

Sorry, but it would just be way too easy to abuse. 

Ok, let's say nobody gets damage marks unless one sides ship sunk or was captured

If there are more players then this same system would go just with a higher scaling number. But I suggest that the kills can be on one side of the other, scaling unevenly. In port battles this kill requirement would be disabled .

thanks for pointing this out. will edit now (edited at bottom of second text)

Edited by Lz3

Yes.. just enough to make both sides happy like, "Oh I just got rekt and lost my best PVP ship, but I tried and got a mark"

How about a single mark for everyone who participates, doing any damage in a PVP engagement where a ship was sunk. Not enough to be worth the trouble of farming and a possible ban, and it would also promote more PVP.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JobaSet said:

I remember the days when you only got a trophy when you won.  Now you want one for losing, and being at wrong place wrong time.  What has this world come to.

People would like some return on their time and effort investment.  If you want people to take on more risk, there needs to be some reward, not just always grinding losing grinding losing grinding losing. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

People would like some return on their time and effort investment.  If you want people to take on more risk, there needs to be some reward, not just always grinding losing grinding losing grinding losing. 

What risk....  2 weeks You can have 40 million and never grind a single mission trading, about 1/2 that 20 million just doing missions. And still lose 3 ships a day PVPing.

2 minutes ago, Batman said:

You engaged in a pvp. the fight lasts for 90 minutes, you inflict some good damage, but in the end you sink after 85 minutes. Why should you not get a pvp mark?

but in the end you sink after 85 minutes. Someone was not fighting if it took 85 min for someone to sink.  Normally the one that gets sunk in a match, that takes that long is the one that has been running for 60 mins, before they got caught up to.  So yea you should get nothing for wasting everyone's time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JobaSet said:

but in the end you sink after 85 minutes. Someone was not fighting if it took 85 min for someone to sink.  Normally the one that gets sunk in a match, that takes that long is the one that has been running for 60 mins, before they got caught up to.  So yea you should get nothing for wasting everyone's time. 

The 85 minutes were just set as an (extreme) example, of course. I'm actually talking about real fights, not the "running-pirate" pvp.

Just now, Batman said:

The 85 minutes were just set as an (extreme) example, of course. I'm actually talking about real fights, not the "running-pirate" pvp.

I have only been in 1 fight that ran time out that was a fight... in 2 years and that was a 4 v 1.   Most fights none running fight last 30 mins tops.  You lose, go get another boat go other direction. Simple like that. 

• Like 1

I am sympathetic to those who feel getting nothing at the end of a long fight is a rather huge demotivation to fight.

Basically players that otherwise would have fought now won't fight unless they know with 100% certainty that they will win.

I am against awarding pvp marks to both side, but I would much prefer to bring back the old reward system for damage.

Give experience and gold for damage again, we already have the experience back and i think that's great.

Alt abuse for gold and xp isn't really a problem in my mind.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, JobaSet said:

What risk....  2 weeks You can have 40 million and never grind a single mission trading, about 1/2 that 20 million just doing missions. And still lose 3 ships a day PVPing.

You are advanced admiral guru - I've probably made 20 million total since the Great Wipe of 2017

Creating good motivations to PvP remains a problem with this game.  As long as it isn't exploitable why not throw a few carrots out there so people feel like they're getting somewhere as they're getting sunk, without them having to resort to seal clubbing?  They're just forms of XP, not "trophies", and you will still be listed as "JobaSet sank <insert nation> player near Albuquerque" in the newspaper . 

10 hours ago, Teutonic said:

I am sympathetic to those who feel getting nothing at the end of a long fight is a rather huge demotivation to fight.

Basically players that otherwise would have fought now won't fight unless they know with 100% certainty that they will win.

I am against awarding pvp marks to both side, but I would much prefer to bring back the old reward system for damage.

Give experience and gold for damage again, we already have the experience back and i think that's great.

Alt abuse for gold and xp isn't really a problem in my mind.

That's a viable solution as well. Would you then limit PvP mark rewards to cosmetics or would you abolish them completely?

1 hour ago, Lz3 said:

That's a viable solution as well. Would you then limit PvP mark rewards to cosmetics or would you abolish them completely?

I'm not sure. I haven't tested at all the new mods and books from pvp marks unfortunately so I can't say if they create a large gap between pvp and non pvp ship builds.

I'd love for cosmetics though like ship paints.

I think pvp marks should not be allowed to be traded either, only redeemed through the store for assets, mods, or books. 

3 hours ago, Teutonic said:

I'm not sure. I haven't tested at all the new mods and books from pvp marks unfortunately so I can't say if they create a large gap between pvp and non pvp ship builds.

I'd love for cosmetics though like ship paints.

I think pvp marks should not be allowed to be traded either, only redeemed through the store for assets, mods, or books. 

I strongly agree about the last part. 

To the developers if they read this:

This is a viable option as well if you don't support the idea of damage based PvP marks.