Game-Labs Forum

Open world

Since wipe (big one) we didn't get any patch focused on OW PvP. Can you please stop with development of port battles for some time and make something for OW PvP. You said yourself that only 6% of people participate in PB. That makes 94% of players that are not interested in PB (HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE majority). Can we have at least some of the OW PvP problems solved? TY

• Like 2

1. Huge self-sustained safezones for old farts

2. Huge disbalance among ships

3. Too long tag timers

4. Too accurate stern chasers

5. Too little rewards

6. Stupid unlimited repair system

7. Maginot line in many smaller regions

8. Too few free ports

9. Stupid ROE based on br

10. Stupid ROE in general

11. ...

and many more

• Like 3

my main issue is that in most cases players are not willing to risk anything in an engagement where they got a fair chance of winning. I really don't understand why. Ships are so cheap to build nowadays, so why not actually use them in pvp on a pvp server?

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Zoky said:

3. Too long tag timers

5. Too little rewards

8. Too few free ports

11. ...

and many more

c'mon mate, there is more OS PVP now than there ever was in the past (and I mean real pvp not ganking carebears around capital cities): around some free ports - tumbado anyone? - you can fight when you want. If you know trade routes, there are also traders to prey on.

Too little rewards? PVP marks are there for you!

Disbalance? In each case there will be better ships and people will choose them.

But, most important: please remember that maybe OS PVPers are more than people doing RvR, but I have the impression that OS PVPers are less than the mass of people missioning and/or trading (you call them old farts since you feel some sort of god of war, but they actually are the backbone of the game, also in PVP servers).

So, summarizing, now that the game is recovering players, there is no actual need to push again in the "all OS PVP" direction. In the past - when Devs walked down that path - it did not work very good in terms of number of players (in the age of no safe zones, the OS PVP warriors were just blockading capitals ganking traders and missioners with the only result that a lot of people just quit the game). 

Edited by victor

2 minutes ago, Liq said:

my main issue is that in most cases players are not willing to risk anything in an engagement where they got a fair chance of winning. I really don't understand why. Ships are so cheap to build nowadays, so why not actually use them in pvp on a pvp server?

Every player plays the way he likes. And if you try to force them to take risks that they don't want (without any reward), they simply will quit the game.

It's simple: or you give them something for the risk, or they will not risk.

First step was giving XP for damage.

I propose that also the one who looses the fight gets one PVP mark.

Just now, victor said:

Every player plays the way he likes. And if you try to force them to take risks that they don't want (without any reward), they simply will quit the game.

It's simple: or you give them something for the risk, or they will not risk.

First step was giving XP for damage.

I propose that also the one who looses the fight gets one PVP mark.

is getting to do PvP (equal PvP) on a PvP server not enough reward?..

Sure, some paints for pvp marks would be nice though.

6 minutes ago, victor said:

c'mon mate, there is more OS PVP now than there ever was in the past (and I mean real pvp not ganking carebears around capital cities): around some free ports - tumbado anyone? - you can fight when you want. If you know trade routes, there are also traders to prey on.

Too little rewards? PVP marks are there for you!

Disbalance? In each case there will be better ships and people will choose them.

But, most important: please remember that maybe OS PVPers are more than people doing RvR, but I have the impression that OS PVPers are less than the mass of people missioning and/or trading (you call them old farts since you feel some sort of god of war, but they actually are the backbone of the game, also in PVP servers).

So, summarizing, now that the game is recovering players, there is no actual need to push again in the "all OS PVP" direction. In the past - when Devs walked down that path - it did not work very good in terms of number of players (in the age of no safe zones, the OS PVP warriors were just blockading capitals ganking traders and missioners with the only result that a lot of people just quit the game). 

If you really think that there is more OW pvp now then before then you haven't even played OW PvP. I remember time of 25+ coast guard fleets protecting home waters. I remember non stop action around hat island. What I don't remember is sailing for hours only to find L ocean in safezone, ignoring me and doing mission 24/7. On PvP server.

And while PvP marks are step forward I still can't get copper plating for them. Or art of ship handling. Or book of five rings. And don't even try to convince me that amount of xp and gold is proportional for risks I take and amount of time you need for pvp.

As for player numbers, since the wipe they were highest and most stable for 2 months after wipe. Back then there were no safezones, loot drops were better, and there were no facking wasa around. Oh and you couldn't capture npc witch helped crafters and pirates too!

Zoky is mostly right.

I am an OW PVPer not a PB elitist.   I like the hunt in OW, but cant stand sailing for hours looking at an empty sea.   I recently loaded back up an old pirate MMO, World of Pirates, and sailed around in it.  Realized that sailing in that while still long, it wasnt nearly as boring. 

There was a fog of war, aspect, where you didnt see everything till you found it.   Which gave sailing XP.   You got a handy bell sound when a ship was spotted.  

You had variable winds, both strength and direction.   It didnt just rotate in a counter clockwise circle.  It would shift based on real life prevailing winds in the region.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zoky said:

3. Too long tag timers

5. Too little rewards

8. Too few free ports

11. ...

and many more

That attitude man, not very good advertising for any kinds of activities... We should make a poster saying, do OW PvP if you want to end up like that guy.

3 minutes ago, Rigs said:

That attitude man, not very good advertising for any kinds of activities... We should make a poster saying, do OW PvP if you want to end up like that guy.

Sorry to disappoint but I'm no populist, I'm realist and I speak truth and not what people want to hear :ph34r:

Edited by Zoky

1 hour ago, Zoky said:

Since wipe (big one) we didn't get any patch focused on OW PvP. Can you please stop with development of port battles for some time and make something for OW PvP. You said yourself that only 6% of people participate in PB. That makes 94% of players that are not interested in PB (HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE majority). Can we have at least some of the OW PvP problems solved? TY

Careful there, the number for players who have initiated a OW PVP battle might be significantly lower....

11 minutes ago, Aegir said:

The funny thing is, don't you reckon that NAL would be able to emulate most of (and usually the better part of) NA RvR and PvE?

this x1000000000

what I want is thrill of hunt and that's the only thing NAL will never be able to offer to us. On the other hand it's perfect emulator of port battles/pve missions

19 minutes ago, Rigs said:

If you are then accept the reality, act like that and you will never find out more OW PvP

Case closed ;)

I really don't understand you. What should I accept? That pvp server is pvp in name only? That is why I raised this issue in the first place. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Aegir said:

The funny thing is, don't you reckon that NAL would be able to emulate most of (and usually the better part of) NA RvR and PvE?

What I want when I play NA is, I want to be a pirate or a privateer, or a frigate captain.   I want to hunt enemy commerce shipping and sink or capture it.   I want the thrill of being able to elude the combat vessels that do come after me.  I don't want to ever be in a "fair" fight with my prey, I want to have an overwhelming advantage every time.

NAL will never meet those requirements.   This is also why I dont sail SoLs, because they hamper the escape aspect of my hunting. 

• Like 2

Just now, Hodo said:

What I want when I play NA is, I want to be a pirate or a privateer, or a frigate captain.   I want to hunt enemy commerce shipping and sink or capture it.   I want the thrill of being able to elude the combat vessels that do come after me.  I don't want to ever be in a "fair" fight with my prey, I want to have an overwhelming advantage every time.

NAL will never meet those requirements.   This is also why I dont sail SoLs, because they hamper the escape aspect of my hunting.

The decision to turn Sea Trials into an open world surely must've run along the same line of thought as yours.

In its current state you'd think the guiding idea to do so was rather along the lines of "I just want some filler on the way from one instance to the next".

15 hours ago, Zoky said:

3. Too long tag timers

5. Too little rewards

8. Too few free ports

11. ...

and many more

sounds like all he wants to do is gank noob carebears around capitols.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, randommexi said:

sounds like all he wants to do is gank noob carebears around capitols.  

Other then #1 that's not even aimed at new players what other line do you have problem with? I'm interested in all opinions even those of carebears

16 hours ago, Zoky said:

3. Too long tag timers

5. Too little rewards

8. Too few free ports

11. ...

and many more

1 - clearly aimed at seal clubbing...

2 - yes first rates and 7th rates should be equal....  #endsarcasm

3 - too long?  nah, any shorter and you wouldn't have much time to react.  when you really would have a lot of time to react.

4 - I agree.

5 - rewards are fine.  just stop clubbing little ships near KPR

6 - already being address.  Admin said there are going to be changes.

7 - NO idea what this is supposed to mean.

8 - Too few?  no, too many.  should be zero. or if they want more, back to no teleporting to them.

9 - it could be worse, removing it all together would be silly.

10 - I don't know what you're aiming for with this statement.

11 - ...

where is the many more?  this list of "problems" doesn't seem like its important to me.

17 hours ago, Zoky said:

If you really think that there is more OW pvp now then before then you haven't even played OW PvP. I remember time of 25+ coast guard fleets protecting home waters. I remember non stop action around hat island. What I don't remember is sailing for hours only to find L ocean in safezone, ignoring me and doing mission 24/7. On PvP server.

And while PvP marks are step forward I still can't get copper plating for them. Or art of ship handling. Or book of five rings. And don't even try to convince me that amount of xp and gold is proportional for risks I take and amount of time you need for pvp.

As for player numbers, since the wipe they were highest and most stable for 2 months after wipe. Back then there were no safezones, loot drops were better, and there were no facking wasa around. Oh and you couldn't capture npc witch helped crafters and pirates too!

I played enough OS PVP to know that you are very likely to attack (around Tumbado) only in couple (or packs) against single targets.

And for the rest, well, with normal combat marks no one can get your new "no downsides" new shiny upgrades and overpowered skillbooks ... so what's exaclty your point?

Edited by victor