Game-Labs Forum
admin

Hotfix for patch 13 - Important port battle rule changes

Suggestion: Right now it seems that the BR system is based off historical values. Why not base it off activity and tax? I have a feeling this would need to be tuned a bit, but it would certainly add more to gameplay when a clans most important $ generating port gets a larger potential fleet as it is off more importance. However there would have to be caps on both ends to not make battles too small or too big

• Like 1

12 hours ago, admin said:

• IMPORTANT CHANGE: Victory conditions/points for captured zones

• Every port battle has 3 zones (objectives) that accumulate points if captured (as before)
    • Zones are still captured by the side that has more ships in the zone (as before)
    • But the captured zone points don't accumulate if even a single ENEMY ship is present in the objective (NEW FEATURE)

Perhaps I am missing some nuance but basically #2 doesn’t matter because of #3.

It would be more accurate to say:

“Your nation can only accumulate capture points from a circle if you are the only nation with a ship (or ships) in a circle.”

A little personal feedback for @admin

Successfully defended a port tonight on Global, Georgetown with not even max BR vs a full BR 1st rate and assorted fleet.  Unfortunately my recording screwed up and I wasn't able to save the battle.  

We brought in a little beef, some wasa's and a couple fast ships to hold and deny circles.  We straight up slapped together this group with some random joiners, alts and whatever we could teleport in that would fit with the BR.

d6a2ec0686ecc3db3535c0f2cfbc1eee.png

We pulled the ole Swede kite maneuver.  Brought the 1st rates who were trying to brawl downwind to where they were not threat to us and then sunk  their top group they were using for mortar brig protection.  My only regret is we didn't let them have the bottom circle soon enough, we would of been able to sink 2 more.  This PB was uninteresting and the only challenge we had was getting there on time and avoiding their 10 person 1st rate gank fleet outside.

The new BR PBs and the new circle ship deny mechanic make defending ports absurdly easy.  While I believe that it should be harder to attack then defend, it's overwhelming slated to the defenders.  Needs to be adjusted.  While I'm a proponent of the BR system for PBs, I'm not exactly sure that 100% BR is the way to go.  Maybe bring back a hybrid of the old system and BR?  Or maybe have a PB be a randomized comp of ships that only appears after the PB is set?

Bonus after the battle.  @King of Crowns died for country and his buddy made a worthy donation to my ship garage.

516ED1A7840B39CD3806309F1963C09EA272A15B

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Yes but circles are also much smaller now so you are forced to fight if you want to stay in. And in that case you can sink enemies = you get points and enemy loses points. That means you can delay the win by cap for very long and then you probably have numbers advantage and its easy to win from there.

But that's the reason why removing shallow water ships from the deep water PB was completely unnecessary. Nobody used lynxes because they have been ways to weak and would have been a cheap point collector killing them. But the Prince is strong enough to survive quit a lot of hits from long range and would have been a nice addition for different tactics due to its great sailing qualities.

• Like 2

Having a mixed fleet and more numbers (10vs15) in a defensive PB than the enemy should give more options.

The french did almost the same in one of their PBs, they brought only 8 ships for an attack.

I still think that the people needs to learn a bit the new rules of PBs.

Instead of 10 victorys, your opponent could have taken 13 bucentaures (faster and more agile than vics and similar broadside), instead of a indefatigable, a wasa. That configuration would probably change a bit all the PB. 13vs15 is more reasonable. However in my pov an attacker should always try to get a minimum number of ships into the battle, probably not less than 18-20.

The new BR system is made to increase chances of small nations/clans against big zergs. But it is absurd to think that a small nation can attack on its own a big nation without facing a wall. If you want to attack big clans/nations, you need allies.

Edited by Intrepido

9 hours ago, Batman said:

I kept two spanish Wasa's busy at B (South side) until I got support from two incoming british wasa's

Well played all.

The new mechanic for the circles is quite a change, indeed, a defending Hermion can happily manouver inside & outside circle, and keep the point count off for a very long while unless enemy brings enough ships to remove it from the zone. Which means that the attacker reduce its offensive fleet so to capture one circle. Do the same for 3 circles and defender can outnumber attacker in fighting zones. 

So in small scale Deep water PB's, where ship numbers are very limited, the choice & entering position of ships is becoming absolutely crucial.

The ongoing testing will tell, but it looks like this new feature increases the attacker difficulty.

9 hours ago, Celtiberofrog said:

Well played all.

The new mechanic for the circles is quite a change, indeed, a defending Hermion can happily manouver inside & outside circle, and keep the point count off for a very long while unless enemy brings enough ships to remove it from the zone. Which means that the attacker reduce its offensive fleet so to capture one circle. Do the same for 3 circles and defender can outnumber attacker in fighting zones. 

So in small scale Deep water PB's, where ship numbers are very limited, the choice & entering position of ships is becoming absolutely crucial.

The ongoing testing will tell, but it looks like this new feature increases the attacker difficulty.

Huh, sounds an awful lot like the position I was putting forth upon the announcement of this patch... I think we've only had one, fully defended port battle win for the attacker since the patch on Global?  

Like in the last weeks attacker still has it easier by having the wind.

With the new system you need to get in contact fast and then only have to win the fleetengabement. If you win that you also uav no problem winning the points.

if kiting is the issue now and outnumbering people in circles. how about this wonderful idea..... 1 circle. same size as currently. no more deny option and no more problem of being outnumbered in 2 circles. the whole point of the circles is to force the engagement. makes sense if you want to defend your port than defend this circle. if you want to run around and not fight... you loose your port. sometimes the simple solution is the best. the need for fast ships will still be there in order to catch mortar brigs and hurt ships. 

Edited by King of Crowns

1 minute ago, King of Crowns said:

if kiting is the issue now and outnumbering people in circles. how about this wonderful idea..... 1 circle. same size as currently. no more deny option and no more problem of being outnumbered in 2 circles. the whole point of the circles is to force the engagement. makes sense if you want to defend your port than defend this circle. if you want to run around and not fight... you loose your port. sometimes the simple solution is the best. the need for fast ships will still be there in order to catch mortar brings and hurt ships. 

1 Circle for smaller ports (max 4800BR) and 3 circles for higher BR ports would be nice

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King of Crowns said:

if kiting is the issue now and outnumbering people in circles. how about this wonderful idea..... 1 circle. same size as currently. no more deny option and no more problem of being outnumbered in 2 circles. the whole point of the circles is to force the engagement. makes sense if you want to defend your port than defend this circle. if you want to run around and not fight... you loose your port. sometimes the simple solution is the best. the need for fast ships will still be there in order to catch mortar brigs and hurt ships. 

kiting is no issue anymore with new circlemechanics. I think 3 circles are good.

From yesterdays PB in port denpaix EU server:

- recent change promotes big ship fleets with most effective BR (currently wasa and Buc)

- once BR is changed correctly you will see a bit more mixed fleets but mostly 32 pound ships because they can penetrate everything. 24 pounders already dont penetrate a thickness stacked 1st rate

Frigates are useless in current PBs sadly

7 hours ago, rediii said:

Frigates are useless in current PBs sadly

Not only Frigates - we see no big variety of ships anymore in NAVAL ACTION.
Neither in PortBattles, nor in the Open World.

Everyone is running around in the same few ships - which is a pity, with all the ships we have.

As for PBs, maybe 3 - 5 types of PortBattle sets could be fixed, with certain numbers of each ship?

For example "Port Battle Type II" (Just an example)
Three 6th-Rates
Seven 5th-Rates
Six 4th-Rates
Four 3rd-Rates
Three 2nd-Rates
Two 1st-Rate

Just an example of such a PB ships set, with 25 players in battle. Other weightings of ships, like "Shallow Sets" would be possible.

13 hours ago, Wolfram Harms said:

Not only Frigates - we see no big variety of ships anymore in NAVAL ACTION.
Neither in PortBattles, nor in the Open World.

Everyone is running around in the same few ships - which is a pity, with all the ships we have.

As for PBs, maybe 3 - 5 types of PortBattle sets could be fixed, with certain numbers of each ship?

For example "Port Battle Type II" (Just an example)
Three 6th-Rates
Seven 5th-Rates
Six 4th-Rates
Four 3rd-Rates
Three 2nd-Rates
Two 1st-Rate

Just an example of such a PB ships set, with 25 players in battle. Other weightings of ships, like "Shallow Sets" would be possible.

totally against this because it goes back to requiring 25 ships for a port battle. eliminating the ability of small clans to play the game. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, King of Crowns said:

totally against this because it goes back to requiring 25 ships for a port battle. eliminating the ability of small clans to play the game. 

Not really surprised since he is a swergling. They are probably the only nation that doesn't have a problem with RvR player numbers and they don't exactly try to keep it a secret either, that they don't give a hello kitty about the other nations / small clans' struggle...

1 hour ago, Landsman said:

Not really surprised since he is a swergling. They are probably the only nation that doesn't have a problem with RvR player numbers and they don't exactly try to keep it a secret either, that they don't give a hello kitty about the other nations / small clans' struggle...

I already told yesterday in TS that its a bad mechanic to make fixed slots because then you need even more ships for 1 campaign. Makds it more difficult than now with a almost polished br limit system.

We are the swerg.

4 hours ago, Landsman said:

Ports can be successfully defended with less people now. 18-20 guys can.

Fixed slots will make it harder for all the parties involved and will ruin the purpose of this feature, which is: bring the fleet you want.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Intrepido said:

What about screening fleets?

1 minute ago, Landsman said:

What about screening fleets?

Whats about them?

If you are defending, just make sure you are ready for the pb.

If you are attacking, bring more players than defender.

Nothing new under the sun.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Intrepido said:

5 hours ago, Intrepido said:

bring more players

ZEvkZ.gif

I like the gift. It can be applied a lot of times.

Like now.

ZEvkZ.gif

I said you need less players to defend a port. Inside. You have lots of proofs in the forums that 20 guys can defend.

To attack a port and be sure to will enter it, bring a screening fleet with you. And sometimes, depending of the nation, you wont need it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Intrepido said:

To attack a port and be sure to will enter it, bring a screening fleet with you.

So basically numbers still matter. You can only defend but not attack without numbers, meaning you can only lose but not take ports. As long as screening fleets are a thing and RvR isn't only played in lobby, numbers will always matter. Also you actually failed to apply the meme correctly. You use that gif at the end obviously... ?  How would you close the keyboard but keep typing? ;) 

2 hours ago, Landsman said:

So basically numbers still matter. You can only defend but not attack without numbers, meaning you can only lose but not take ports. As long as screening fleets are a thing and RvR isn't only played in lobby, numbers will always matter. Also you actually failed to apply the meme correctly. You use that gif at the end obviously... ?  How would you close the keyboard but keep typing? ;) 

You cant fight superior numbes with pure magic.

If you need numbes and your nation dont have it, make friends.

This is one of the reasons Im asking for foreign clan alliances.

This feature cant solve ALL the current issues in RvR.

About the gift. I wrote this in a mobile phone.