Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
admin

Port battle feedback - battles with BR limits

Recommended Posts

On 11/6/2017 at 10:13 AM, admin said:

any updates on the port battle feedback from this weekend?

The meta right now definitely shows how BR needs to be adjusted for many ships. Wasa is an easy choice for all PBs right now, from 2400 to 11k, as it provides a gun deck of 32pd cannon for a mere 250 BR. The regular third rate is completely out of the question for this due to not having that. The Bellona provides almost the same firepower for much more BR and is therefore out of the picture as well. The next higher up choice is the Bucentaure with an excellent gun setup. The 42pd and 24pd can strike all ships, and it has 32 guns on a broadside.

So the meta moved away from one fleet being 25 ships of the same rate to the ideal mix of Bucentaure and Wasa you can bring. This definitely felt like an improvement in Port de Paix PB. Previously that battle would have been 50 first rates (if the port was a lineship port, I don't recall)


I expect first rates to only see use in notable numbers in 9600 and 11k ports. But you can bring a single one or maybe two to a 7200 PB, which spices up things even more - THREE different rates in a single battle? madness! That's a huge improvement over the previous system.

What isn't working is any ship that comes with 24pd on the gun deck (so Agamemnon, Constitution, Wapen, 3rd rate as mentioned are all out). Simply not enough penetration to go up against Bucentaures and first rates.

And any Fifth rate. The Wasa is just too good at fighting those in group fights. Masts fall too easily if you try to avoid broadside engagements (as you should). I don't think anyone tried a large number of 18pd fifth rates yet, but I think the outcome is obvious given they are rated just slightly below the Wasa. I'd expect even in a 2400 BR PB, the side bringing 9 Wasa will beat the side bringing a dozen fifth rates easily.

The question is whether rebalancing the BR across all ships will result in even more diversity or if there will just end up another go to choice for ships, especially given that 18pd cannon are no threat to ~70cm base armor ships. The diversity right now seems to be mainly coming from the fact that the Wasa is cheap, but not so cheap that you can fill it with 25 ships.

Mortar Brigs may be a bit too cheap on BR. Maybe add the Mortar Frigate now, so you have to pay some more BR to get a mortar in deep water battles.

Edited by Quineloe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Yesterday, in the PB of Mobile, the Spanish battle fleet that defended the port, suffered a bug on the part of the British blockade fleet.

The bug consists of successively pointing out different players from the battle fleet that will defend the port. This is generally not a problem as the BR is not enough to battle the entire fleet. But if, as yesterday, some of the countdown coincides approximately with the moment when the fleet enters the PB, then part of that fleet is out of the PB, and goes into battle with the blocking fleet.

We did not enter the PB successively, the whole fleet coordinated their entry to the PB by TS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ayer, en la PB de Mobile, la flota de batalla española que defendía el puerto, sufrió un bug por parte de la flota de bloqueo britanica.

El bug consiste en tarjetear sucesivamente a diferentes jugadores de la flota de batalla que va defender el puerto. Generalmente esto no supone ningún problema puesto que el BR no es suficiente para meter en batalla a toda la flota. Pero si como ayer alguna de las cuenta atrás coincide aproximadamente con el momento en que la flota entra en la PB, entonces parte de esa flota queda fuera de la PB, y  entra en batalla con la flota de bloqueo.

No fuimos entrando sucesivamente en la PB, toda la flota coordinó por TS su entrada a la PB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CeltiberoClearco said:

 

Yesterday, in the PB of Mobile, the Spanish battle fleet that defended the port, suffered a bug on the part of the British blockade fleet.

The bug consists of successively pointing out different players from the battle fleet that will defend the port. This is generally not a problem as the BR is not enough to battle the entire fleet. But if, as yesterday, some of the countdown coincides approximately with the moment when the fleet enters the PB, then part of that fleet is out of the PB, and goes into battle with the blocking fleet.

We did not enter the PB successively, the whole fleet coordinated their entry to the PB by TS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ayer, en la PB de Mobile, la flota de batalla española que defendía el puerto, sufrió un bug por parte de la flota de bloqueo britanica.

El bug consiste en tarjetear sucesivamente a diferentes jugadores de la flota de batalla que va defender el puerto. Generalmente esto no supone ningún problema puesto que el BR no es suficiente para meter en batalla a toda la flota. Pero si como ayer alguna de las cuenta atrás coincide aproximadamente con el momento en que la flota entra en la PB, entonces parte de esa flota queda fuera de la PB, y  entra en batalla con la flota de bloqueo.

No fuimos entrando sucesivamente en la PB, toda la flota coordinó por TS su entrada a la PB.

If you dont all press join battle at the same time ... and the leaving port timer has finished ... as soon as some join the battle we do have the BR to drag you in ... its not a bug .... its tardy game play ..... we should know you gave us idea after you did it to us at cayo the day before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Grundgemunkey said:

If you dont all press join battle at the same time ... and the leaving port timer has finished ... as soon as some join the battle we do have the BR to drag you in ... its not a bug .... its tardy game play ..... we should know you gave us idea after you did it to us at cayo the day before

I'm not accusing you of anything. I'm simply pointing out a serious bug that can ruin the PBs

In Spain there is a saying: Wear the bandage before getting hurt.

-----------------------

Yo no les acuso de nada. Simplemente apunto un grave bug que puede arruinar las PB

En España hay un dicho: Ponerse la venda antes de hacerse la herida.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CeltiberoClearco said:

 

Yesterday, in the PB of Mobile, the Spanish battle fleet that defended the port, suffered a bug on the part of the British blockade fleet.

The bug consists of successively pointing out different players from the battle fleet that will defend the port. This is generally not a problem as the BR is not enough to battle the entire fleet. But if, as yesterday, some of the countdown coincides approximately with the moment when the fleet enters the PB, then part of that fleet is out of the PB, and goes into battle with the blocking fleet.

We did not enter the PB successively, the whole fleet coordinated their entry to the PB by TS.

 

No bug, just bad play on your side. You can join a port battle after the first timer expired. Just stay in port until the PB has started, then exit and join.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Quineloe said:

No bug, just bad play on your side. You can join a port battle after the first timer expired. Just stay in port until the PB has started, then exit and join.

Name it as you wish, but if the battle fleet leaves the port together to position itself and is multiple and successively marked, there are possibilities that when they all enter the PB at once, some will be trapped by the blocking fleet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't "mark" a player who is under the 45 seconds of can't attack or be attacked. And right after those 45 seconds he can join the PB.

What's the bug? You get attacked and then you are in battle? How's that a bug?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 We didn't leave until the PB had started and, with the wind against us, it took more than 45 seconds to take up positions to get out on the less bad side of the wind. But no matter how long it takes, you can't get into the PB before those 45 seconds either. I believe that the battle fleets were created to prevent precisely what happened in Mobile and in the PB to which Grundgemunkey refers. 

Edited by CeltiberoClearco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the different nations started to adapted to the new PB system, i start to like it.

It mixes things up, looking forward to the BR adjustments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CeltiberoClearco said:

 We didn't leave until the PB had started and, with the wind against us, it took more than 45 seconds to take up positions to get out on the less bad side of the wind. But no matter how long it takes, you can't get into the PB before those 45 seconds either. I believe that the battle fleets were created to prevent precisely what happened in Mobile and in the PB to which Grundgemunkey refers. 

Well you did the same to us at Cayo. Sitting on the dock with 1st rates and pulling people in when the battle starts. We merely adapted your tactics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Batman said:

Well you did the same to us at Cayo. Sitting on the dock with 1st rates and pulling people in when the battle starts. We merely adapted your tactics.

This only confirms that Mobile was something intentional, that the bug, error or whatever you want to call it, exists and can ruin the PBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, why didn't you bring this up after Cayo PB? If it's a bug that can ruin Port Battles I'm pretty sure devs are very intersted to fix it ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Batman said:

So, why didn't you bring this up after Cayo PB? If it's a bug that can ruin Port Battles I'm pretty sure devs are very intersted to fix it ;)

not a bug anyway because you can enter the PB as soon as the (cannot be tagged) timer runs out which gives you around 40 seconds to get into position as a defender

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Batman said:

So, why didn't you bring this up after Cayo PB? If it's a bug that can ruin Port Battles I'm pretty sure devs are very intersted to fix it ;)

I wasn't in CR. I don't know how it happened there.
What I do know is that in Mobile the blocking fleet did not have BR to put the battle group in, that we all pressed at once to enter the PB and that some appeared in the PB and others were against the blocking fleet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sveno said:

After the different nations started to adapted to the new PB system, i start to like it.

It mixes things up, looking forward to the BR adjustments.

It was just a matter of time. Big changes demands a proccess of adaptation. Also take into account that some nations are still new to RvR. 

Also some tweaks were needed when the feature landed. And still, a MAYOR hotfix is needed, that one which will bring a proper balance between ships.

Hope we get it soon. At this rate Im going to hate the wasa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2017 at 11:02 AM, CeltiberoClearco said:

This only confirms that Mobile was something intentional, that the bug, error or whatever you want to call it, exists and can ruin the PBs.

 

it was intentional no one has said otherwise .... the fact is your crying about us,,,,, using your tactic from  cayo the day before ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2017 at 11:48 AM, CeltiberoClearco said:

 We didn't leave until the PB had started and, with the wind against us, it took more than 45 seconds to take up positions to get out on the less bad side of the wind. But no matter how long it takes, you can't get into the PB before those 45 seconds either. I believe that the battle fleets were created to prevent precisely what happened in Mobile and in the PB to which Grundgemunkey refers. 

Someone in your group was getting a "you are being attacked" timer on his screen and ignored it. He could have simply clicked to join the PB when the timer was at 3 seconds remaining, and he'd have been in the port battle and the attack would have failed.


That is bad play from your side, and you should either educate the player (who really should know the game enough at this point to not blunder like that) or just remove him from your battlegroup.

 

You have in total 59 seconds to get to the position where you want to defend. Even going 5kn close haul in a first rate gives you a lot of options there to join the PB where you want as a defender. And if you went straight into the wind with 2kn, that's your fault again.  PB doesn't start until 5 minutes passed, in that time the wind would have changed a bit again and you simply should have waited those 5 minutes in port.

Edited by Quineloe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is starting to get a little tiring.

Many of us received "you are being attacked", I received it myself and the message came out that there wasn't enough BR to get the battle group in.
The problem is that when the battle group presses, all at the same time, enter the PB, if it more or less coincides that a countdown ends then not everyone enters the PB, but some remain in battle with the blocking fleet.

But no matter, when it happens to others, then it will be considered a bug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

maybe restrict 2400 BR battles to 5th rates, because with the current two second rates 6 Wasa it's very much just a slightly larger group engagement. These ports aren't common enough to allow one smaller clan to hold a small region of these anyways, so you're pretty much forced to have a larger force at these ports anyways, restricting a lot of players from actually entering the PB though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2017 at 1:20 AM, sveno said:

Well, promised some more feedback:

As you heard from redii, noone of the 3 PBs today where really enjoying.
The nations attacking us all came with a smaller number of larger ships.
Noone of them had any chance to win the battle - it was almost feeling like a forfait for the attacking side.

The issue is with the players, and i do not think that it will get much better going forward.
For a nation to prepare a good fleet a lot of discipline is needed. Discipline to not take big ships only.
It is correct that it isn't that fun being frigate inmidst 4th and bigger rates, you dont get paid so to say.
This is a game, and PB's on the long run need to be fun for all contenders.

Also if you have a different fleets, options for different tactics in the portbattle get limited:
If you have many but smaller ships, you cannot brawl, depending on rate difference, you need to run around and just take circles (Camp due Roy).
In Grand Turk, Russians had about 2.5 times more bucces, so we couldn't brawl them (which is usually great fun against russians), so we had to kite (and i surely hate to do that).
In Santa Marta, the Dutch turned up in 1st rates (only?), so our team tagged them open world and sank them.

Now, if you would limit rates, that player issue might be fixed - but it would get even more complicated then now - so that is not vialable.
I somewhat enjoyed Grand Anse, but did not get any "pay" to speak of, for me, the fight is the pay, but others might not like to drive small ships vs large ones.

I still believe, and we proved it four times now, that the better organized team is almost assured victor, it does not help smaller/unorganized countries.

We will test further.

I am for the restricting of the amount of ships per class in a PB.

1st rates are flagships/ leadships for a fleet.

no nation ever sent more then 5+ 1st rates into 1 battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×