Game-Labs Forum

What can be done to prevent this.

George Washington

iuxywc3.jpg

This is clearly a new player trying Naval Action. His negative review adds up to all other ones and makes Naval Action a 3/5 star game. Below average.  Now what concerns we have here:

-Lack of resources in ports. (Alts buy out everything as soon as resources show up). This leaves nothing to new guys.

-Alt used to club seals (new guys) outside their ports. Think if making safe zones smaller was a good idea?

-In-game players promote alt use and discourage new players if they only have 1 account. (Add clan search tool). Clan search tool can help 1 account guys quickly find their home. 

Conclusion, Economy needs work and must be tuned to be more 1 account friendly with maybe more work involved. Protection zones, not even sure what to say here... and lastly making marks rare will only promote alt gank, spying and unfair gameplay. 

What would you do to save NA from this plague?

1. I want to see cash reimbursement if player killed in action (friendly or hostile) up to Master and Commander rank for new players. This will protect them in such cases until they get into better ships. Pay back 50% of ship cost and cargo inside in order to keep them playing and sailing on OS. We can call it new player protection plan. Excludes Trader ships. 

Edited by George Washington

I have a hard time believing that some guy with 27 hours in this game would get himself targeted by a three account crossteam cheater.

Amusingly enough, the only game this guy has on his steam account is Naval action. Sounds like an alt review.

What's even funnier, he unlocked "one-time shopper" on Steam on October 29th, so.. he played 27 hours of Naval Action in the last 48 hours. Clearly deranged.

I bet if I refresh his profile in two hours, it's 29 hours.

Edited by Quineloe
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, George Washington said:

iuxywc3.jpg

This is clearly a new player trying Naval Action. His negative review adds up to all other ones and makes Naval Action a 3/5 star game. Below average.  Now what concerns we have here:

-Lack of resources in ports. (Alts buy out everything as soon as resources show up). This leaves nothing to new guys.

-Alt used to club seals (new guys) outside their ports. Think if making safe zones smaller was a good idea?

-In-game players promote alt use and discourage new players if they only have 1 account. (Add clan search tool). Clan search tool can help 1 account guys quickly find their home. 

Conclusion, Economy needs work and must be tuned to be more 1 account friendly with maybe more work involved. Protection zones, not even sure what to say here... and lastly making marks rare will only promote alt gank, spying and unfair gameplay. 

I agree with your points above George, but the posted review is childish IMO and should be taken lightly.  I don't know if others do that, but that's what the review left me feeling.  When you have to resort to all caps and cursing with hearts, and you leave no rational explanation to your intended points, then your review to me is meaningless and void of worth.

I also play quite easily without alts.

Edited by Jean Ribault

6 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

I agree with your points above George, but the posted review is childish IMO and should be taken lightly.  I don't know if others do that, but that's what the review left me feeling.  When you have to resort to all caps and cursing with hearts, and you leave no rational explanation to your intended points, then your review to me is meaningless and void of worth.

Well it doesn't matter. We have bad review on our hands and these are the problems that cause it. We can leave it be and watch more kids buy NA and flood it with bad reviews or , we can somehow reimburse for such case scenario. 

Let's say he got his favorite ship already and started hauling goods and boom, alts become his friends go fleet with him and sink him to get marks. He once again left with nothing, but to rage and quit the game. You understand me? 

Now in this scenario when you die you get nothing, why not introduce insurance? or even protect low levels up to a certain rank with 50% cost of sunken ship return in cash. Clearly it hurts to loose everything and start over when you are new and just starting. 

3 minutes ago, George Washington said:

Well it doesn't matter. We have bad review on our hands and these are the problems that cause it. We can leave it be and watch more kids buy NA and flood it with bad reviews or , we can somehow reimburse for such case scenario. 

Let's say he got his favorite ship already and started hauling goods and boom, alts become his friends go fleet with him and sink him to get marks. HE once again left with nothing, but to rage and quit the game. 

Unfortunately we can't police everyone, nor want to.  We rely on people's use of good judgement and fair play..............lol we know that doesn't work.

But you can't selectively sell the game to people that you think will play nicely, so I don't see a solution.  Let them review as they see fit, I don't see how you can possibly change that.  And it's been going on since open access.

Edited by Jean Ribault

11 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

Unfortunately we can't police everyone, nor want to.  We rely on people's use of good judgement and fair play..............lol we know that doesn't work.

But you can't selectively sell the game to people that you think will play nicely, so I don't see a solution.  Let them review as they see fit, I don't see how you can possibly change that.  And it's been going on since open access.

We can't but we can come up with simple idea that will auto police such cases. There is always a solution.

here is one:

I want to see cash reimbursement if player killed in action (friendly or hostile) up to Master and Commander rank for new players. This will protect them in such cases until they get into better ships. Pay back 50% of ship cost and cargo inside in order to keep them playing and sailing on OS. We can call it new player protection plan. 

Returning to port with empty hands, recently killed and starting over will drag Naval Action to the deepest bottom of this game market. So, protect new players and give them a chance Dear Devs. 

With this idea, when new players sink they won't be able to cry about they lost everything , but will be able to quickly recover and come back and play. Provide population numbers and even in a long run buy more copies. 

• Like 1

I think some players will say reinforcements zones are enough, so why do we need an insurance plan too, just to protect new players?  I'm not sure where I stand on the insurance idea, and don't want to detract from this thread just to say I like the reinforcement zones.....only say that to agree with you that something is needed for newer players.

Maybe the UI should provide a more prominent warning when a player up to certain rank is about to exit a safe zone.

29 minutes ago, George Washington said:

iuxywc3.jpg

Gee George.... Was that your (or your alts) review?

It seems to me that you're trying to justify every single claim the "reviewer" makes.....all of which are rubbish.

"what can be done to prevent this"?  Post accurate reviews.  

The LAST thing that should be done is redesign the game in a attempt to make a review troll happy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

The issue is that players don't know what is safe and what is not. They don't know what are the borders of safe zone and often leave it. They don't know how to use reinforcements. They don't know that tagging AI leaves battles open. They don't know that if they attack, it's not safe anymore. 

Issue N1 - Alts used to lure him into a trap. Kill him and make him start over let's say with no gold.

Issue N2 - Safe zone boarders is another problem. Maybe we can get a warning when you are leaving safe zone. (Warning , you are leaving safe zone... bla bla bla... you can be attacked..bla bla bla.) easy enough? Red stripe on top of the screen for 10 seconds. 

10 minutes ago, Salty Dog on Global said:

Gee George.... Was that your (or your alts) review?

It seems to me that you're trying to justify every single claim the "reviewer" makes.....all of which are rubbish.

"what can be done to prevent this"?  Post accurate reviews.  

The LAST thing that should be done is redesign the game in a attempt to make a review troll happy.

Yeah I got about 50 of them. That was number 36 to be more precise. I appreciate your concern here. Trolls like you probably the ones who practice this type of gameplay in the first place since we are pointing fingers here I can point mine.. 

Redesign the game? You clearly over exaggerating here. Adding few easy safety measures can benefit everyone. Your ganking squad will remain untouched I promise. 

Successful companies take care of every customer problem, that is how you remain afloat and make profit.  

This is serious issue and ignoring this will prevent Devs from making further income and improving this game or any future products that might come.  

28 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

The issue is that players don't know what is safe and what is not. They don't know what are the borders of safe zone and often leave it. They don't know how to use reinforcements. They don't know that tagging AI leaves battles open. They don't know that if they attack, it's not safe anymore. 

This. Only hope for new player lies in the tutorial coming with next patch.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Batman said:

This. Only hope for new player lies in the tutorial coming with next patch.

Will it save new player from rage quit when he is killed with all hands and gold lost?

Big - NO.

We need reimbursement in cash for few low ranks. Simple fail proof protection to keep customer in game. Excludes - trader ships. 

ANother solution would be to spawn missions around Jamaica and the other Safezones actually ONLY inside the safezones.

Make them pay like 25% or 50% less and offer also missions outside the safezone with full rewards but advice new players that these missions are more rewarding because the possibilty of being engaged by enemy players.

The problem lies in the fact that this game simply is not new player friendly.  No tutorials, UI is a bit unfriendly, no description of the servers/timers, no description of the risks associated with leaving your capital.  A new player joins a game that has an established playerbase that has been playing for a long time and dominates all the markets and ports.  It is very difficult for a new player to carve out a little niche to play in. 

What people fail to realize when purchasing this game is that it is a full loot PVP MMO.  Similar to Albion or Ultima Online.  You go out in the world, you risk everything.  I know in Albion that when you enter into a zone that is full loot, it warns you.  Something similar when you leave capital wouldn't be a bad idea. 

Unfortunately the game has a problem with alts.  I'm not sure how to fix it, but your average person has no idea how to tell who is an alt and who is a new player.  Opening up resources to be more readily available would help.  Having Carta tar being the most OP ship mod in the game and ONLY be available in one port is absurd.  If you want resources to be rare they need to be RNG drop based.  Not only available in 1 port.

As for bad reviews, there really is no way to stop them.  Put out a bad product....expect bad reviews.  While the game has been improving, it's easy to see why players in the past have had their issues with it.  If you go through and read some of the reviews, most of them echo more or less the same thing.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, George Washington said:

I want to see cash reimbursement if player killed in action (friendly or hostile) up to Master and Commander rank for new players. This will protect them in such cases until they get into better ships. Pay back 50% of ship cost and cargo inside in order to keep them playing and sailing on OS. We can call it new player protection plan. 

I agree with this and also Christendom's comments above - especially about the tar issue. The reality is, if I lose a ship it is no issue for me to get a replacement from either my own, or my clan's resources. If I was a newbie, the loss of a ship and the grind to replace it makes the game "unfun". The protection areas around the capital/capital zones should in  my opinion go back to what they were. Additionally, as someone else mentioned,  a warning about entering unsafe waters would be user friendly and helpful.

In the meantime - sail safe!

Edited by Zorg the Merciless

So the person that posted the review either was funded to move out of the basic cutter (as i have yet to see any player able to rank up fast enough to leave one in only 27 hours) or simply did not know what he was doing. What he should have done is report it if the friendly continued to block and then open him up to being fired upon several times. Need to establish a pattern before accusing someone of something. Either way, I think the reviewer was wrong and expected more without asking any questions from the group he was part of. I have played many games that do not have any kind of tutorial or manual and did just fine using trial and error. Do I think he wound up in a bad situation, yes. Do I think he has a right to make the accusations he did, No. This leads me to think that the reviewer is either an alt account intended to post a bad review in order to get the devs to move towards a desired outcome or is just some child who chose to whine because he lacks the intellect to understand that the game is in a testing phase and is not final. He should have read the description a little better.

• Like 1

he's simply an alt account of a douchebag.

Problems for newbies in this game are clearly other than alts allegedly spying on them (I mean, wasting time using an alt to sealclub a basic cutter? Wut?)

nuff I said

Edited by victor
  • Like 3