Game-Labs Forum

A realistic thing you could do to make NAVAL ACTION true fun

Sailing on the Open world is not fun anymore, when the gankers and hunters can not only carry a trainload of REPAIRS,
but can even MAKE these REPAIRS - under BATTLE CONDITIONS.

Now I guess, it would be even hard to replace a single sail in a full-swing fight - the men would be needed EVERYwhere.
But in NA, those ships can even pull up almost complete new masts, put patches on all sails, and with just some bottles
of RUM, they can even make a bloody cripple into a seaworthy cannoneer or sailor again.
What a miracle!

This way, the hunts take ages and a day, and in the end, those weasels will get you, if you haven't brought even more REPAIRS.
In THAT case, you will never see your wife again... :)

Where is the chance for a ship with cannons, to escape such hunters after some good broadsides dealt out, like it was in reality?

Now, before the emotionally unstable will stone me again with awful language, I want to ask you all for a fair, constructive debate,
with your ideas on all this:
could and shouldn't NAVAL ACTION be changed back to realism here?

Edited by Wolfram Harms
  • Like 5

Agree with the repairs, you should only be able to carry enough for two full repairs 0-100 health  in a warship  unless its a trader then carry as many as you like in hold.

The rum thing is ridiculous really, you can repair more than your whole crew if you have enough rum and need enough crew.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wolfram Harms said:

Now, before the emotionally unstable will stone me again with awful language, I want to ask you all for a fair, constructive debate,

with your ideas on all this:
could and shouldn't NAVAL ACTION be changed back to realism here?

Lol. I think you're fairly safe. The vast majority of the opinions I've seen in the forums agree with you regarding the ridiculous level of repairs currently available in game.

Fair sails. 

• Like 1

Today is 10/22/2017-----> 01/01/18 Developer promised deadline is near, but so many things are still not even touched. Sailing still takes forever, it will still kill any new player population who will try the game. They need to boost OS speed even more, no matter is there is tow or not. In addition, Players need action marked on world map. 

End result - Only vets will sail providing no new income. More clans giving up on game as we speak. 

Edited by George Washington

I cant help but feel that your far more on the Ganking Side. And that your concern for Masts being Repaired does not stem from Ganking Squads doung so but annoys you cause the guys your ganking are using it to annoy you by making it take longer for you to rape them........

But I agree on the General Sentiment that the current Repair Situation is too much.

Repairing Sails is no problem and any Ship carried such stuff. But replacing an entire Mast should not happen....

Albeit they also should be much harder to break in the first place.

Right now nobody even uses chainshots. Everyone just balls the Mast cause it comes down so fast....

Same for Crew.

Crew Repair should just bring back a percentage of losses by treating the injured. It should be impossible to bring back 100% of losses.

Armor Repair should work different entirely. As you should have no cooldown here. If you got Materials. The Crew can be set to Repair. Repairs are slow of course. But even in Reality there was Damage Control during Battle.

Thing is no matter if in Battle or on OW it should be a slow trickling process. Not a sudden 100% repair ......

Edited by Sunleader

3 hours ago, rediii said:

care what you wish for.

Currently you do way more damage than with old system. Its more skillbased and mastsniping isnt as OP as with the old system

The guys which whine because of current repairs will whine with 1 repair each too. Maybe even more.

I don't care about those who just whine. And I'm not whining either.
What I asked for is a constructive contribution to this problem, that is now totally unrealistic.
I am aware, that the previous ways also had their drawbacks - that's why I asked for NEW suggestions and ideas.

4 hours ago, Sunleader said:

I cant help but feel that your far more on the Ganking Side. And that your concern for Masts being Repaired does not stem from Ganking Squads doung so
but annoys you cause the guys your ganking are using it to annoy you by making it take longer for you to rape them........

Ah, you again...
Do you realise it yourself, how you often seem judge other people from your own feelings only?
You are wrong again - I am not among the "gankers" (yet) - my Open World hunting is very rare, and when I do, I don't hunt traders.

My disappointment yesterday came from loosing 2 LE GROS VENTREs to 2 British professional gankers, sailing SURPRISE and SNOW.
When the SNOW was falling behind, shooting at my FLEET ship, I was able to damage the hull of the SURPRISE quite a lot.
Also, I could reduce the sails of the SURPRISE to 82%.

I saw that I could have escaped her now - but then she repaired, and later she repaired again, and it went on, until my own REPAIRS were down.

AGAIN: all this repairing under battle conditions is utter nonsense.
Since NAVAL ACTION is not any fantasy "Pirates of the Caribbean" game, I would MUCH prefer and request solutions which are realistic.

As funny as it may be to find them and collect them, and then to use them with great effect:
UPGRADES and PERKS like "Book of 5 Rings" sound more like Tolkien to me. They will be found first who gank a lot, and they will be
used to great effect by gankers, and that is contra-productive for recruiting any newbies.
Instead of SAFE ZONES, all  this unreal "Lord of the Rings"-overkill should be stopped.
And maybe replaced by some more sublte, but more realistic and still attractive improvements any captains can find or loot.

Another final observation: after each UPGRADE PATCH we see players sailing the same few ships (now it is the WASA).

Isn't it a BIG pity, that so many other ships are just "out" by everyone, like the BELLE POULE or the TRINCOMALEE ?
Wouldn't it be REALLY GREAT success, if all ships had SOME reason, SOMETHING, that makes them also attractive for a player's choice?

Believe me, everyone, I do not like the role of the "constant complainer" - but I love NAVAL ACTION so much, that I don't mind getting stoned (not the smoke - grin!)
for all my nagging - if it only helps the game to get better. After that, you can all sink me...

Edited by Wolfram Harms
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, rediii said:

chases took hours and days back in the days. You had no sniper chasers in the back tho.

Yes. And now, with the tons of repairs, they also do.

You repaired several times too I guess? If you didnt have enough repairs its your fault and not the repairsystem we have now.

Yes, of course. But obviously those guys had tons of REPAIRS more than I -- and were still running slightly faster than my LGV on 60° headwind or even less.

Shipknowledge is knowledge. You read a book, you absord knowledge.

Sorry, Rediii, but this description doesn't make it any more realistic to me.
I read a "book" on how to land a space shuttle - and then I can do it?
I'd prefer if we have to collect our OWN knowledge from OWN experiences and learning, to get better and better.
These "books" can be sold to any newbies. If they are rich...

Tell me 1 game where there is no meta gameplay/meta heroes/meta weapons.

Well, you seem to feel attacked, which isn't my intention.
I won't mind special finds which make ships a LITTLE better - but it was not possible with sailing ships to make them "super-ships".
I believe you , that it must be VERY hard work to balance this game, and I wouldn't want to be in that position to change things,
while a strong shitstorm is hailing around me every time I touch something. :o

I am not one of the "shit-stormers" though, believe me - I would like NAVAL ACTION to become REAL GOOD.
I love it and see the potential - okay?

That's why I asked for constructive criticism and new ideas.
No need IMHO to defend the old ones, or the game - I DO like it, be assured.

Edited by Wolfram Harms

Somehow the gameplay felt great when ships where multiple duras, you had one repair for hull, one for sails and the cooldown repair for rudder etc. Also som longer joining times for battles to keep those pesky pirates away in safe waters.

The guns also had power to sink players within reasonable time. 

There where minor issues like balancing between sail-kiting etc. but overall it was 8-9 out of 10.

Now it's a mediocre game at best. Terrible and boring at worst.

Does devs even reconsider to look back on what made the game work in good old days and maybe roll something back/develop the fun factor?

Kind regards an old whiner who missthe good game it once was... :-)

Agreed. Huge dislike on multiple repairs - it's absolute garbage. Not much fun and not really realistic... made ganking more viable than ever. Because most players are cowards or PvE players, they will run no matter what ship they are in. Good luck nailing them down solo without a squishy fir/fir ship with your shotgun spread bow chasers vs their laser stern sniper chasers and their endless repairs. Also when you're in a ganker squad you can take turns with repairing damage and fighting and thus where a skilled player used to have good chances to win against the odds, it is now much more unlikely to happen. Also it drags battles out unnecessarily and gives too many 2nd and 3rd chances, when we used to have exciting battles where every cannon ball mattered. It's kinda boring and makes a already time sucking / demanding game even more tedious / prolonged.

10 hours ago, George Washington said:

Today is 10/22/2017-----> 01/01/18 Developer promised deadline is near, but so many things are still not even touched. Sailing still takes forever, it will still kill any new player population who will try the game. They need to boost OS speed even more, no matter is there is tow or not. In addition, Players need action marked on world map. 

End result - Only vets will sail providing no new income. More clans giving up on game as we speak. 

Personally I don't think OS speed should be raised. There are teleports and there are tows. If you want a fast sail use a smaller ship.  When I used to hunt in a Snow I needed to lower sails while on patrol so I didn't miss anything.  What would help the OS is more population. They need to work on the ugly DOS-like port interface, seriously when I first saw it I cringed, it looks like something from the 80s or 90s, add some tutorial or tutorial missions, and add more content. There needs to be more types of missions, maybe daily patrols, more things to do other than combat (exploration missions and such)

Back on topic, agree with OP on repairs.  And I hate to say this, but I agree with fox on going back to 1 repair each. And have the NPCs sell repairs at 3x the craft cost. Personally I also like multi-duras but 1 dura is ok too. 

• Like 1

Realism, or just enough of it to at least pretend, is dead in NA.

Bumper car ramming fights, mid-combat multi-repairs, hard magical speed caps, and wouldn't surprise me if they add China as a nation next.

1 hour ago, Wolfram Harms said:

Ah, you again...
Do you realise it yourself, how you often seem judge other people from your own feelings only?
You are wrong again - I am not among the "gankers" (yet) - my Open World hunting is very rare, and when I do, I don't hunt traders.

Sorry that I am not too Eager to Believe you after your Repeated Attempts to make Ganking and Griefing Easier.

But that aside. Read what others are Writing.

Regardless of questioning your Intentions I actually Agreed with your Post and that Repairs need Stricter Limits. So dont go off writing a Book lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rediii said:

Before repairpatch it was a grind to destroy a ship. You HAD TO ram the side and shoot for minutes until you saw something happening.

People are still ramming to cut of bowsprites and to push the opponent into the wind for boarding. Another mechanic that needs to be reworked.

Completly bullshit and very frustrating on the receiving end because you simply can't do anything against it.

13 hours ago, Wolfram Harms said:

Now, before the emotionally unstable will stone me again with awful language

^This doesn't scare away trolls, it attracts them.

The whole unlimited repairs thing amuses me. Are you aware that the feature was specifically made for people wanting what you state: 

13 hours ago, Wolfram Harms said:

Where is the chance for a ship with cannons, to escape such hunters after some good broadsides dealt out, like it was in reality?

Recharging repairs was made to allow people to recover from mistakes, repair sails and get away. So here you come along wanting to be able to get away but without recharging repairs?

Are you sure what you're specifically asking would bring about what you really want?

(Please note I strongly dislike the current recharging repairs, albeit for different reasons or based on different wishes.)

6 hours ago, rediii said:

Its more skillbased

I agree with your post in general, just allow me the opinion that recharging repairs is as skillbased as the eco game is skillbased. <giggles>

2 hours ago, rediii said:

defensive tags tho. It's cancer.

I don't disagree. Keep in mind it is generally believed that we would lose more players without defensive tags as with the fear of loss most people's prime impulse is to get away. Don't ask me how to make PvP in OW great as long as we're married to eco.

1 hour ago, fox2run said:

The guns also had power to sink players within reasonable time.

Dude, I've told you this already. Ships sink faster now than they've ever done.

58 minutes ago, Landsman said:

Because most players are cowards or PvE players

Ouch! That's harsh! It took like two weeks after the introduction of eco gameplay for that mindset to settle in the global player psychology. It's eco gameplay as predicted and intended.

50 minutes ago, Batman said:

you simply can't do anything against it.

Super easy to avoid bow rammers unless you're ganked. If you're ganked that's the thing you often can't do anything against.

• Like 1

Number of repairs probably isnt that important, it just needs some serious drawback. Battle sails while repairing was suggested already, and a cap so you cant repair back to 100%. The current system is ridiculously simple and imbalanced (since years). 

6 minutes ago, rediii said:

deep mechanics

Thats exactly what NA/a sandbox needs, what is totally missing, and what devs dont care about. Many basic mechanics are still the same placeholders as they started ~4 years ago... 

@Wolfram Harms Dont waste your time, nobody cares about realism or what makes sense anymore, least of all devs themself.

1 hour ago, Anne Wildcat said:

..I agree with fox on going back to 1 repair each. And have the NPCs sell repairs at 3x the craft cost. Personally I also like multi-duras but 1 dura is ok too. 

My opinion also.

1 hour ago, rediii said:

Thats no shitstorm, I just tell you my oppinion.

Rediii, good man - please read my post more closely - I did never say you were "shitstorming" me.
I have the deepest respect for your opinions.

1 hour ago, Sunleader said:

Sorry that I am not too Eager to Believe you after your Repeated Attempts to make Ganking and Griefing Easier.

But that aside. Read what others are Writing.

Regardless of questioning your Intentions I actually Agreed with your Post and that Repairs need Stricter Limits. So dont go off writing a Book lol

Wow - three lines only! So it IS possible you see?
No, I never wanted to make ganking easier - what I wanted was to change things which are very unrealistic to me.
So I wanted to change the SAFETY ZONES into OPEN-FOR-THE-VICTIM'S-NATION-Zones.
That was not meant to help gankers - it was meant to involve more players into such gankings; players to come for help.
More realistic PvP was the idea.

2 minutes ago, Wolfram Harms said:

My opinion also.

Rediii, good man - please read my post more closely - I did never say you were "shitstorming" me.
I have the deepest respect for your opinions.

Wow - three lines only! So it IS possible you see?
No, I never wanted to make ganking easier - what I wanted was to change things which are very unrealistic to me.
So I wanted to change the SAFETY ZONES into OPEN-FOR-THE-VICTIM'S-NATION-Zones.
That was not meant to help gankers - it was meant to involve more players into such gankings; players to come for help.
More realistic PvP was the idea.

Yes and it was Explained several Times that relying on Random Players to Fight off Organized Ganking Squads is about as effective as throwing plushies on a Bankrobber to stop him....

But Mate given that this is your topic. Are you sure you want to restart this Discussion here ?  I dont mind for sure. But its your Topic that would end up Derailed.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

100% true. 

Happen to remember where that was stated? The only example I remember that admin gave on the subject of adding multi-repairs waswas along the lines of it being some anti-ganking measure when two ships are attacking from max range to allow the lone ship to hold its own until they get closer, but can't seem to find it.

1 hour ago, Aegir said:

Happen to remember where that was stated? The only example I remember that admin gave on the subject of adding multi-repairs waswas along the lines of it being some anti-ganking measure when two ships are attacking from max range to allow the lone ship to hold its own until they get closer, but can't seem to find it.

Several times in Combat Discussion. The long range fights and that the repairs new model would promote the fight close range to make it decisive. Which is true.

• Like 1

repairs in the game are out of control and needed limitations in battle especially pvp. battles need to be shorter not made longer with unlimited use of repairs that gets old for everyone.

i like the idea of having one or two shots at repairs and thats it! either that or make it so repair times last A LONG TIME like 25minutes to repair that way players need to think long and hard about using manpower on repairs during a slug fest.

they also need to give us limited ammunition which would bring a whole new dynamic to the game that would be both more realistic and challenging for all naval battles, as well as correctly fill up those empty warship holds with ammunitions, supplies etc for war, not fish, bottles and cargo.

• Like 1