Game-Labs Forum

Tournament - Group Stage & Results

Liq

Maybe i missed it, but the real question remains unanswered doesn't it? 

Is running away after securing points a valid tactic? 
- Furthermore, where does the line go between running and defensive fighting? 

If running is allowed i'm to say we might see a meta of really fast hard hitting ships with the ability to perform hit&run tactics. Basically hit the ship that will be the easiest to kill and then run away for the rest of the fight. 

(I mean no offense to anyone. I haven't seen the fight which is being discussed, i'm just an interested party looking for clarifications on the rules.) 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, TommyShelby said:

If running is allowed i'm to say we might see a meta of really fast hard hitting ships with the ability to perform hit&run tactics. Basically hit the ship that will be the easiest to kill and then run away for the rest of the fight. 

Hmm, you still need 1,5x BR to win and if small ships play it smart and the big ship protects them its a pretty risky tactic imo.

Just now, Jon Snow lets go said:

Hmm, you still need 1,5x BR to win and if small ships play it smart and the big ship protects them its a pretty risky tactic imo.

Even then, only having to kill half of the enemy BR before your able to run away is not how it should be in my opinion. With focus fire you can sink 1-2 smaller enemy ships quite fast, but alas, your ships might be heavily damaged by then. 

Anyway, i just want clear clarification here. Is it allowed or not allowed? 

To have 1,5x BR you have to sink at least 170 BR (500/330 = 1,51x BR). So you can get a win by sinking an enemy Cherubim and then sailing off. Imo a team or Cherubim captain that plays bad enough to get singled out and sunk and then lets the other team get away deserves to lose. The "running" team then proved superior tactics (focusing small ships out aint as easy when the fat ship does its job in protecting, tanking, and damage trading). Leaving the playstyle open allows for more diversity in ship choice and setup.

I realize my team lost to this tactic, so I'm probably still a bit biased, but in my opinion a tactic like this is the kind of thing that can ruin a perfectly good tournament. 

Yes it's allowed, I understand that. I just think it will be sad if we start to see 3 ships focus 1 enemy to death and then run away. 

This tournament now has a new intro song

In all seriousness, I think allowing such tactics is against the spirit of the tourny and the goal here is to create content and promote the game.  If I wanted to watch 1 ship get sunk and then a 45min chase I'd just go out and try to find OW PVP.  This is very clearly going to become the new meta for the tournament if it isn't shut down now.

After the group phase is over, revise the rules.  No undue running or whatever you want to call it.  Moderator discretion.

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Then play your matches m8. Bit more than 2 weeks left and you havent played a game yet.

Not for lack of trying. We actually had to take time off work to be able to accommodate the Russians. We've got two matches scheduled Sunday. We won't be running away, can tell ya that much. I didn't enter a tournament to run from my opponent :)

I wished all these people who scream "die for honor!!!!" at the top of their lungs would apply the same heroism in the non-curated PVP of the game. 

The same logic could be applied to Football fans this weekend demanding Sweden score an own goal against Italy because Italy should be at the world cup. Except no one did that.

Edited by Quineloe

1 minute ago, Peter Goldman said:

I wish all people taking part in small battles and tournaments would actually do it for the sake of the fight, PvP, enjoyment and challenge, not for the win at all cost and using every loophole in rules. 

They sunk two and lost one. That secured them the victory. You expect them to deliberately lose at that point for what reason exactly?

• Like 1

Neither did many Italians consider Sweden the winners of last night.  It's unsporting of you to be such bad losers as well, I hope you're aware of that. ,

> A team comes with 3 lynxes and sail upwind for 1h, getting a guaranteed victory.

Pretty sure the rules don't work like that.

3 hours ago, Christendom said:

I'm gonna try and be around for the on tomorrow, maybe I'll do some commentary with Liq.  You might not like my right wing pro merge/night flip bias though  :-)

I will also be available, how about to do it togheter, my left wing contra merge/swerg bias will put things straight. ^^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sveno said:

I will also be available, how about to do it togheter, my left wing contra merge/swerg bias will put things straight. ^^

I think I will be able to do the counter merge/night flip hate thing with Chris quite adequately ;) 

Edited by Cornelis Tromp
  • Like 2

So many people think they're doin' the right thing discussing PODW made it right or wrong......that looks so funny my friends. During the last tournament with an unsinkable essex as an exploit was ok for you, am i wright?)) PODW do always look for a fight as it is in it's core sense of hard and intensive challenge. But because of you, folks, who designed this tournament system as it is now - you provide the rules, everyone obey them. The rules are as they are now and this time we DO play as everyone else does - nothing more and nothing less.

Best wishes, PODW.

Edited by el_mariachi
  • Like 5

Thanks for this fight. I guess it's quite boring to watch, though I can assure u it's thrilling to manage hull energy and wait for the enemy to make a mistake, while avoiding ur own ones in the meanwhile. There is no other way than to chain and then board these tanks, full of crew and guns. *hinting at those commenting the stream*

gg ALOHA o7

• Like 1