Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Weekend 5 - new round of testing

I had a look at the forts:

So far I really like the different game-modes and capping of forts. I've had a few good fights with players present where both forts and circle cap were used to deal with running and distance between remaining ships. Stuff like this can be used to make small ships useful, wether that is cutter vs. brig or frigates vs. lineships (I suppose).

• Like 1

I am still on the level of Navy Brig and I find it hard to progress further into the bigger ships for proper testing. Not much I can say about current testing stage. I don't really like the "TAB" map, as it's hard to read it, would prefer more the NA map usage. 

• Like 3

So this weeks NAL'ing was interupted by open world duties and the fact the server went 'pop' a couple of times. My observations :-

Lots of weather ;

• from foggy/misty (aka Manchester mode)
  • raining 'Manchester hardcore mode'
  • storms with lightning 'Manchester survival mode'

All of them were to some extent as being expected, weather effects occluded visibility, waves ate my cannon balls, ships heeled opening up leaking opportunities

I saw a fair amount of annoying AI behaviour (random 'sails up' sulking', 'shooting at me to get to them', herpa-derp shallows pathing) however I am not too fussed about these as I see the AI as a filler for players (who will also do all of the above :) )

The experience for 'mods' to the ship (planking) is now something that passively accrues, this feels better than blowing xp on mod slots, but I do think their needs to be less slots than mods and some mods should be harder to acquire (even if its just a bit harder...get 3 wins, get 3 kills in 3 games sorts of things).

Post battle screen seems fixed (assists wise) but is still sorta crap in the detail it gives you, specially as we know you have LOTS of data, shots, hits, misses, damage done, bounced, received etc) and against whom/what.

Noted some improved module description.

XP for performance took a slapping, 4 kills, 1 assist less than 1,000 xp in a Renommee (which is 1/10th of the trip to the next ship) and I outdamaged the next best player by 30%, so thats 20 games average to ship up or 10 games excellent.

The map still seems undercooked and pesky (zoom etc)

Didn't have enough games against other players to test the balancing

Didnt noticed any unbalanced damage etc

Still problems with grouping, I can't invite one friend ever...but he can invite me.

Occasionally we 'fell out of the queue'

Again, lots of fun, can't wait for a bigger payer group (I am on holiday for 2 weeks next weekend...inconsiderate wife...taking me away from my gaming) and really hope to come back to an thriving game.

Edited by Jeheil
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Jeheil said:

<snip>

I can confirm and I agree with everything. ;)

I'm curious about the design goal of what the grind is going to be or is.

5 hours ago, Jeheil said:

XP for performance took a slapping, 4 kills, 1 assist less than 1,000 xp in a Renommee (which is 1/10th of the trip to the next ship) and I outdamaged the next best player by 30%, so thats 20 games average to ship up or 10 games excellent.

When you're in the frigates and it takes 20 avg. games to level up I'd label that as a turbo grind compared to the "industry standard". We grind on standard account but I wouldn't be surprised (it may have been mentioned, but I forget...) if we're on an accelerated (5x to 10x) standard grind for testing purposes. The grind in itself holds no value whatsoever to me personally, but it is a way to monetize the game (premium account) and I'm totally fine with that.

Grinding up against mostly bots is like sexy time with a dementor but I won't mind it at all against players.

17 hours ago, jodgi said:

So far I really like the different game-modes and capping of forts.

I wonder if taking the forts REALLY matter when it comes down to it? On the map with two small towers the bots take the fight to the windward fort circle and the fort is generally not taken before the fight moves away leeward towards the fort closer to the capping circles. I've tried to see if the little tower firing has any bearing on what happens in the cap circles but it seems to me it doesn't. The enemy had a renom fighting a brig in our cap circle and I capped the fort to see if I could frustrate the renom's capping, but he ended up capping our circle and winning the match.

The big fort does seem to have a long reach but I'm unsure if it has any consequence for ships in the cap circles. I suppose the balance between forts being OP as opposed to "fake feature" is thin. A lot will change without bots but if players are able to ignore forts and just move away from enemy forts and just focus on ships and/or capping circles we haven't struck the best balance. I haven't played as much as some of you so are there ànyone with a better overview who can comment?

What are the design goals of capping forts in relation to capping the circles?

28 minutes ago, slik said:

2x

In the interest of gaining and keeping new players, I feel a quicker grind up to the first fun and useful ship (a Mercury, by my taste) would help. Keeping in mind that one game of grinding takes a lot more game time than it takes in comparable formats like Word of Warships. Just so that newbies don't give up frustrated because they can't get out of the cutter.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jodgi said:

I've tried to see if the little tower firing has any bearing on what happens in the cap circles but it seems to me it doesn't.

The southern tower can (or does) fire about as far as the other tower is from it. So the northern tower could reach about half of the circles at least. Their damage isn't that great though, it took a tower a few minutes to batter my unarmored, half structure ship down to 0 structure to finally sink.

11 minutes ago, kumisz said:

it took a tower a few minutes to batter my unarmored, half structure ship down to 0 structure to finally sink.

Does it interrupt capping?

To be honest if current xp progress is x2, then I do believe that lots of players will quit on a level of a basic cutter. I said it multiple times and I shall repeat it, these small ships are terrible starting ships, mostly because of the aiming experience. They are so low in the water that while aiming rookies/newbies can barely see anything.

Also I don't like the linear progress 1 ship by 1, no way to avoid or ignore some. Almost like with ship knowledge in NA we were forced to level up knowledge on all ships to unlock on other ships, feels the same way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Goldman said:

if current xp progress is x2, then I do believe that lots of players will quit on a level of a basic cutter.

Eh, if you can't stand doing a few cutter matches you won't stay, period. This is done is so many other grinding games, why would legends be different?

3 hours ago, slik said:

2x

Gotcha.

9 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Eh, if you can't stand doing a few cutter matches you won't stay, period. This is done is so many other grinding games, why would legends be different?

Gotcha.

I find it hard to compare basic cutter to some lets say starting characters, ships, tanks or items from the other games. In other games starting and beginning components are usually basic, easy in control and use. As I mention above, thing that you actually ignore - aiming on basic cutter and other low profile ships is relatively hard. Visibility from aiming perspective is very limited. Can it be fixed? Probably yes, by changing aiming camera.

Learning curve should go through easy-medium-hard levels. How aiming experience is in NA?

Medium - Easy - Hard

Edited by Peter Goldman

I would let peoe start with the privateer. Sounds more badass and is more enjoyable somehow.

I had no time to test this weekend but I think also that the first ships are too big of a step. If a basic cutter fights against a brig there is nearly nothing you can do as the cutter

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

How aiming experience is in NA?

You're right about aiming in NA.

I've dabbled with wows and played wot a lot. I think wows has a more comfortable starting experience than wot. Aiming in wot starts out with "Drive me close so I can hit them with my sabre!" and progresses up the tiers to better and better accuracy. I've never pondered if this is a good or bad thing.

Maybe it would be a good idea to make all the 7th rates (Lynx, Privateer, Cutter, Pickle - did I forget one?) available right from the start and have them share one XP pool. This way new players would have the opportunity to use different ships and see which one they like most while still progressing towards the Brig no matter what they use. I guess it would help with keeping them interested in the game and preventing the grind from being perceived as too boring at the beginning. In addition it wouldn't take away too much from the line of progression as the amount of people who enjoy using 7th rates while being able to use something else instead is probably not that great.

You might even add the Yacht to the lineup for players who own Naval Action as well. It's not a gamebreaking advantage and it presumably wouldn't sell well as premium ship either since 7th rates aren't that appealing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rediii said:

If a basic cutter fights against a brig there is nearly nothing you can do as the cutter

Very true. Though, a longs cutter can make life miserable for a Brig, that's when we are sailing them but not starting players.

I remember Cutters being chosen for starter ships (I may have had a tiny hand in that, sorry! 😉) instead of lynx because of a tad better survivability and more comfortable turning. Does cutter still turn better than lynx/privateer?

32 minutes ago, Jeremiah Gunsmoke said:

make all the 7th rates (Lynx, Privateer, Cutter, Pickle - did I forget one?) available right from the start

I guess something like that could work? We need to factor in the substantial difference in survivability between lynx and pickle, though. (Last time I checked that myself was at "Whacky patch", ships these days are just sacks of Hp, so...)

Maybe they're considering something like tech trees? Well, we should call the arbitrary progression trees

Only played a few battles this weekend, been busy. Question, is xp gained only through kills and assists? I was a cutter in a mostly brig fight and although I did damage with my carros before getting sunk, I don't think any xp was gained. 

2 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

Only played a few battles this weekend, been busy. Question, is xp gained only through kills and assists? I was a cutter in a mostly brig fight and although I did damage with my carros before getting sunk, I don't think any xp was gained. 

I got XP for damaging and capping too, besides kills. XP gain felt similar to the last weekends.

I think the cutter is fine for a 1st ship but it's going to be important to move players into the brig asap even if they are terrible. People will need to feel that progression within the first hour or two - especially if the cutter starts with 4-6lb mediums.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Trastámara said:

What are the schedules for the weekend test?

Thank you

Normally mid after noon Friday ON EAST COAST until 6am Monday.