Game-Labs Forum

Port battles are missing the 'port'!!!

With @admin talking about mixing up br for port battles and mabey introducing raiding in the future. It's dawned on me that our port battles don't include the port....

What I suggest is adding a port with ships to every port battle.

The simplest way of this is a slim brown rectangle floating in the dock position. (this would represent the jetty) with four ships positioned with rear of ship facing the jetty. 

The four ships should include two traders and two, top class battleships for the port battle.

The positioning of the four ships would place the warships on the outside facing the battle with traders protected behind the warships. (the warships would be AI controlled, unable to move but can fire cannons)

Currently towers give points once destroyed, I'd propose giving a point bonus for destroying the four ships. Destroying the four ships would give the points of sinking two ships. Or a set point total.

If raiding ever gets added, the number of docked ships could be increased and those traders need capturing to raid the goods. Again giving a focal point to the pb. To gain more points or to raid resources the trade ships must be captured.

Adding a dock with point rewarding ships forces the defender to hunt the mortor Brigg, meaning mono fleets would be silly.

Also players like myself who enjoy fireships would have a target for battles...

Adding a port with point giving ships would also open up future possibilities for upgrading the hp of the dock... Upgrading the hp of the ships in dock etc. If the ports were capped at 1 million tax revenue per day with a stage one port (4 ships in port), a stage two port (8 ships in port) would have no tax revenue cap per day.

The stage two port would open the door to more tax revenue but make the port slightly easier to capture in theory. 

This port idea opens the door to raiding, more versatility in pbs and port customization.

Ideas welcome (on phone so format is iffy)

Edited by monk33y

Is it a miniature Battle of Aboukir Bay (Nelson's Battle of the Nile) or Copenhagan that inspires the idea?

I like the idea in principle,  in theory the attacker could decide   whether he is simply raiding the port or taking the port, Raiding could be simply sinking warships or 'Cutting them out' along with any merchant ships  in the harbour and a small scale raid ashore with Marines before withdrawing, or a full on attempt to take the port with mortar Brigs and a ship load of marines to take facilities in addition to the attacking fleet

A clan or nation may not particularly want the port they are attacking, so raiding gives them an option for PvP/RVR without the expense of paying for a port if he wins and also allows the defender to keep enough of their assets so they can get up, dust themselves off and fight another day without the fear of being one ported or effectively put out of  the game due to lack of resources.

Much of the coding will I think be already written, all that would  be required is that the game  is told prior to the battle what kind of battle it would be so it can award points and gold appropriately,

Small clans and nations could benefit in that they get to experience PVP/RVR in the form of a more affordable raid rather than face the huge expense of a full port battle and overreach by losing an overly large proportion of their assets on the roll of a dice. It is also something the Pirates I think would excel at, the thought of messing up the well laid plans for a nation's port battle or simply the rewards of a raid would be equally enjoyable to some of them and one would hope, provide for open water PVP in the area at the same time.