Game-Labs Forum

Server Merge Poll

Galt

Server Merge Poll  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Would the captains, from both servers, be in favor of a server merge?

• Yes, but with no restrictions on port battles
    • Yes, but with time restrictions on port battles
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/21/2017 at 05:00 AM

Though honestly polls are nice and all but this is only 10% of the population if even that which gets on the forums.  To get the honest truth they should do a poll when you log in your char for the  day and see what the real results or and views on players on /BOTH SERVERS/ not just a bunch of us on the forums.

13 hours ago, Lord Gud said:

100 people is a small percentage of the community right?

More or less only the globals are voting.. I sincerely doubt that there's many euros (other than an annoying prick like me) that read these forums. If you want global to succeed? - Make it succeed and stop crying about the choice that devs have given the players.

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I'm still waiting for you to prove how lord protector windows won't work. EU clans can set there ports to EU prime time.  US clans to their prime times.  AUS/SEA to their prime time.  Clans that make up members from multi nations can set to any window they want of leave it open for any time.  Ya'll keep saying you don't want to loose sleep worrying about losing a port while your at work are a sleep.  You wont' loose your CLAN'S ports cause they will have EU time windows.  The only way to loose them is if you loose a fight you have in your prime time.  So how exactly would you have to worry about those ports?  Now your nation might loose ports that are held by other clans with other time slots.  That is those clans responsibility to hold those ports.   Also remember you can have friendly clans help support your ports in your time zone slot or others.   

The game is not the same as it was when we had time slots before.  It's based more off clan's not the nations as a whole.  So what if your nation looses a few dots in other times and maybe gain some.  As long as your clan can support and protect you clans or allies ports in the times slot ya'll have the most players there shouldn't be an issue.  

This would mean that only fights can only happen in the clan owners prime time slots and not off hours.   So no sleep would be lost.  You don't have to own every dang port or be responsible for other clan ports.  If it's a nation key port than that port window should be during the prime time of the nation. If you loose the port in your prime time than now restrictions or windows would of helped you any way cause you lost it when you had the most folks on to defend it and would of lost it with EU restrictions any way.   

The biggest issue I saw when we had lord protector before was folks would try to put ports in off times cause they could better defend them or they thought no one would be online enough to flip them, but back than I could take a mortar brig into a port and sink the towers and win in less than 20 mins during off hours.  If that port was set in the prime time of that nation/clan I couldn't do that cause it only took a few ships to pop in sink or run me off.  If your don't got guys on during those hours don't bitch if you set your timer to them and loose your port.

All in all if you loose a port than just flip it back.   What i think they are afraid of is that say a US based clan in any nation stays up late or gets on mid day of a weekend.  We take a EU clan port on a Sat.   They loose the port and we change the window to US prime time.  They have now US based friendly clans...they can't take the port back unless they do the same as the US clan did and actually set things up in the other clans prime time.  

Lord protectors have been tried and it failed miserably partly due to the alts. The brits/US set all deff timers in EU nighttime and that meant that while they could attack at leisure they basically only had to defend in the weekends. Tested. Failed. Let's try something else.

Let me ask a simple question - that has been asked repeatedly. Why is it such a problem that the devs gave ppl a choice? And one follow up question - Is the player numbers not in themselves a very tangible (and far more enlightening) evidence than a forum poll that only scant ppl read?

#GLOBALSERVERFAIL

1 hour ago, Intrepido said:

It is very simple in fact.: The clan/nation that have players/friendly clans that covers all timezones win.

In the EU server only one nation was capable of doing that (GB) and that make them almost impossible to beat. Another nation had the US playerbase that flipped most of our ports at night and they were quite pleased to see how the EU commnuity were leaving the game. This is an unbalance that most euro nations cant compete with.

@Sir Texas Sir ^^ this

EDIT: AND I WILL NOT EDUCATE ANY MORE MORONIC NA PLAYERS ON THE THEORIES OF IMAGINED COMMUNITIES. IF YOU WANT TO UNDERSTAND WHY GB WAS/IS THE LARGEST FACTION IN GAME WITH 24/7 COVERAGE (AS THE ONLY ONE) PLS READ BENEDICT ANDERSONS GREAT THESIS "Imagined Communities".

Edited by Guest

19 minutes ago, Bearwall said:

Let me ask a simple question - that has been asked repeatedly. Why is it such a problem that the devs gave ppl a choice? And one follow up question - Is the player numbers not in themselves a very tangible (and far more enlightening) evidence than a forum poll that only scant ppl read?

#GLOBALSERVERFAIL

So, in other words, only people in the EU should be allowed to play Naval Action....righto

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

So, in other words, only people in the EU should be allowed to play Naval Action....righto

Why ruin the server that works for the server that no-one ever logs into? - besides global can still be played - most content is player created.. What have you done to create content for your fellow players?

2 hours ago, Louis Garneray said:

One thing is sure and only one... The devs will have to make a decision one day about what to do with us all.

And maybe stop dreaming about the thousands of players who will supposedly come when the game is finished.

Having 2 PVP servers with the population we have now is not viable.

And having only 1 server with European timers is not viable ether.

One server with global timers doesn't work either.

I think there is no solution ready for the current problems that hasn't already been dismissed in some way or another. :(

Just now, Louis Garneray said:

And to be clear I am not saying we need a server with Global timers (whatever it is as for now there is no timers on Global).

I'm just worried that the thing we have that kinda works (PVP EU) will be wreck by some new idea that will wreck the gameplay we have there now.

25 minutes ago, Louis Garneray said:

And I should add nobody from Global is saying we want global setting on a merged server nether.

Yeah well, there's a whole lot of talk about merging and very little about the proposed solution to make that work, and the prevailing attitude during global's inception was to just keep it as it is, so naturally it doesn't sound like anything else. But feel free to prove me wrong, perhaps it would be worth deliberating over the merits of clan timers + clan alliances, though at first glance I'm skeptical about it.

Edited by Guest

Timers didn't work because of the abuse of the flag system.  That system doesn't exist anymore and the timers we do have, work on EU.  No reason that can't be expanded to port owner set or even something as crazy as time zone region restricting.  US players attack US players, EU players attack other EU players.....mixed clans have the most fun....everyone has a little overlap for good pvp and then on the weekends we can all get together for some serious block parties with beer and hotdogs.

Sounds ok to me.  

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Louis Garneray said:

One thing is sure and only one... The devs will have to make a decision one day about what to do with us all.

And maybe stop dreaming about the thousands of players who will supposedly come when the game is finished.

Having 2 PVP servers with the population we have now is not viable.

And having only 1 server with European timers is not viable ether.

What you seem to miss in your reasoning is the fact that - with this set of rules and the acutal population (and even more now that the big zerg nations have been hit by the new German and Russian factions) - the RvR scene in PVP EU is alive and kicking.

Hard numbers tell that on EU server there are 500 players in prime time (550 right now).

We have 13 port battles scheduled this evening and tomorrow

So why should the Devs change a situation that is actually working as intended?

21 minutes ago, victor said:

What you seem to miss in your reasoning is the fact that - with this set of rules and the acutal population (and even more now that the big zerg nations have been hit by the new German and Russian factions) - the RvR scene in PVP EU is alive and kicking.

Hard numbers tell that on EU server there are 500 players in prime time (550 right now).

I think there is a mistaken assumption that the merge will significantly increase the population on a single server.   Also some players on Global would like to move their assets to a mutual server that will have a significantly higher population.   Some players seem to have the opinion that the merge will increase the overall population by hundreds of players and instead of playing with populations less than 100 we will usually have populations of several hundred and at prime time will enjoy the Steam Chart peak of 700-900.

But it is a myth.  A merge would result in an only a very modest increase.

In fact the merge will prompt some players to quit and at best increase the population of about 50-80 players..   I am hoping the Devs are aware of this because they have the data on player counts and have listened to player's objections to a merge.

If a change is made it would be because of long term low player counts on Global.   I like having both PvP servers but the Devs may decide that it is cheaper to maintain one PvP server only and simply remove one of them.

Edited by Macjimm
spelingk
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, victor said:

Because that population of 500 has proven to slowly trickle away and eventually even out to around 300/350 and continue to lose steam....as we saw with the end of the patch before the great wipe and just recently before the "clan" patch ( I don't remember the numbers).  500 is not a sustainable number for long, as history has dictated.  

There is also another player base to think of, one that's consistently been getting the shaft from the devs even though they purchased the bulk of the copies.  Saying that just because one base is happy the other should suffer is selfish and small minded.  That short term thinking is exactly why the game is in it's current state of development.  Luckily the most recent couple of patches seemed to have more big picture thought behind them and I for one see some light at the end of the tunnel.  

A merge will happen at some point.  It doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint to run and maintain 3 low pop servers.  It also makes more sense that a game in testing has adequate numbers to you know... test.  People need to realize this isn't the final form of Naval Action.  Ports, timers, flips....don't matter.  All will be reset as it's been in the past.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

I think there is a mistaken assumption that the merge will significantly increase the population on a single server.   Also some players on Global would like to move their assets to a mutual server that will have a significantly higher population.   Some players seem to have the opinion that the merge will increase the overall population by hundreds of players and instead of playing with populations less than 100 we will usually have populations of several hundred and at prime time will enjoy the Steam Chart peak of 700-900.

But it is a myth.  A merge would result in an only a very modest increase.

In fact the merge will prompt some players to quit and at best increase the population of about 50-80 players..   I am hoping the Devs are aware of this because they have the data on player counts and have listened to player's objections to a merge.

If a change is made it would be because of long term low player counts on Global.   I like having both PvP servers but the Devs may decide that it is cheaper to maintain one PvP server only and simply remove one of them.

the current poll is 2:1 in favor of a merge, on the forums anyway.  People will return.  Is it a cure all for everything that ails Naval Action?  No.  It's just the first step.

Just now, Cornelis Tromp said:

And almost 3 to 1 against no restrictions.

While I personally would like no restrictions, I'm willing to accept a merge with some sort of timer restrictions.  I get that people don't want to lose ports while they're not on and we don't have the population to support a fully unrestricted server.  

The point is, a merge is favorable.  

Just now, Christendom said:

While I personally would like no restrictions, I'm willing to accept a merge with some sort of timer restrictions.  I get that people don't want to lose ports while they're not on and we don't have the population to support a fully unrestricted server.  

The point is, a merge is favorable.  

merge with limits, so that global server is gone, wont happen, pretty sure

But what could happen is maybe a char. transfer. But idk if thats possible from  the coding aspect - I think admin said the two servers operate individually

• Like 1

Just now, Liq said:

merge with limits, so that global server is gone, wont happen, pretty sure

But what could happen is maybe a char. transfer. But idk if thats possible from  the coding aspect - I think admin said the two servers operate individually

They used to not operate as such, I could log on PVP 2 and my XP would be the same prior to the great wipe.  There's ways around it, whether it be reedemables or whatever.  It doesn't make sense financially to run all 3 servers while the game is in alpha/beta, something will change.  

Interesting thread back and forth by both parties,

by chance do many of you watch letter to the king or read the global PB results?

cause global has a good coverage of all players in different time zones yet very few night flips, funny that!!! 

Yet I don't recall any mechanic to make this work, maybe those against this in the eu side should actually look into this why this is 

Edited by Rebrall

4 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Very few nightflips are higher than zero.

We enjoy having zero nightflips in our server and we dont want to change that.

The last patches and the ones that are coming (pb diversity, ui, languages, maybe new ships) are very promising and as a consequence, more players will join and enjoy NA. 

Merge is coming amigo.  Get ready!

1 minute ago, Cornelis Tromp said:

Call me pessimistic, but I think the US crew will congeal again in nations that work together. See US and GB on Global. And EU western alliance of way back. history proves so far it will happen.

I dont like agreeing with you, but this time i must. 

9 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Merge is coming amigo.  Get ready!

You behave like small jealous kid, because EU server prosper better tha global, so i will speak with you like to the kid. We dont want to play with you, so take your toys and go back to your mum!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cornelis Tromp said:

Call me pessimistic, but I think the US crew will congeal again in nations that work together. See US and GB on Global. And EU western alliance of way back. history proves so far it will happen.

You mean kinda like how at the start of the patch the Danes and Swedes had a little "non-aggression" treaty going on and then bullied the rest of the server until they realized they had to fight?  The irony in your statement just cracks me up.  

Frankly, the majority of the Western Alliance doesn't play anymore or has filtered into various other nations on the EU server.  7up as you know is in Sweden, Some are pirates, most of ZERG quit and the rest are over in GB on EU and most of the Aussies are here.  The only remnants of the Western Alliance group on Global left is my group of guys in VCO and Hardy's group in GA on the Brits and wherever Hardy and his lot go, we'll go the opposite to sink em.  You and I might even end up as best buds!

I don't think you guys realize how big of a deal the Great Wipe patch and split was to the Western Alliance guys.  Most of the "command" group simply stopped playing.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mikocen said:

I dont like agreeing with you, but this time i must. 

You behave like small jealous kid, because EU server prosper better tha global, so i will speak with you like to the kid. We dont want to play with you, so take your toys and go back to your mum!

Nah, I just dislike guys who pledged to go to global....like yourself....and then didn't.  Not only did you not go, you saddled up with the very same guys that made your old clan leaders Jags & Surathani quit.  Very unfortunate and much shame.  Call me all the names you want, but I'm no traitor.  

Best of luck over there Mikocen, you were a good dude until you let the Swedes change you.  See ya soon!

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 1