Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sterner

New gametypes feedback

Captains!

We would like to know what do you think about changes in gametypes.

Old gametype "Fort with 2 bases" with inverted wind

New version of "Fort with 2 bases"

New version of "2 towers and 2 bases" 

1fort2basesV2.png

1fort2bases.png

2017-10-12_17-50-31.png

#1 map encouraged close quarters combat a lot and wasn't as awkward to sail into and out of the fort circle as #2 (more on that later). I think it was because the circles were closer together, and the teams always wanted to push the enemy away from their circle, combined with that when the teams approached the hotspot of the map, the area between the circles after spawning, they were more or less in broadside position to the enemy, so the fighting broke out early, which (combined with the wind driving the ships away from the landmass) made the match flow much smoother IMO.

#2 map is a little more awkward in my opinion, as the wind points towards the fort, everyone makes a run for it (the southern team is at a disadvantage as they have some shallows between them and the fort so they have to sail around it either from the south, then spend some more time getting back around the shallows, or they have to run for the north side of the fort circle and cut off the enemy team there, which is pretty hard if the enemy is determined to take the circle too), and the wind eventually drives the teams into the landmass, or south of the landmass where only the southern team's circle is within reasonable reach, again, putting them at a disadvantage.

#3 map I haven't seen yet.

Other input: please do something about the AI running into shallows, and getting stuck on irons, turning back and forth upwind while reversing because it drives them up the islands. I saw a ship with the keel halfway out of the water! I know they are a temporary measure, but still.

Edited by kumisz

I agree with @kumisz on these maps. I think #1 with the fleet spawn outside of the circles led to fast engagements. I have not seen the new version of 2 forts/2 bases map.

I do not like any of these "new" gametypes.

They all do not create the great line battles that are the really strength of the game... and the best marine battle simulation.

...but I liked to transfer crew to towers in the old Sea Trials...

Edited by karacho

16 minutes ago, karacho said:

They all do not create the great line battles

Not all of us enjoy line battles all day, every day.

@karacho Well one game mode could be a "Trafalgar" game mode 25 v 25 in the open sea for 5th rate and above.

I think it is important to have a variety of game modes on different maps - some to choose depending on your ship selection and some with random maps and a variety of ships.

I haven't progressed past the navy brig, so that colours my judgement.

I like the new maps, as I feel they encourage close quarters, and actually make terrain a tactical element, rather than a pretty backdrop. I will see how the more cumbersome ships handle in such close confines, but so far, I dig it.

16 hours ago, sterner said:

1fort2basesV2.png

1fort2bases.png

2017-10-12_17-50-31.png

14 hours ago, kumisz said:

encouraged close quarters combat a lot and wasn't as awkward to sail into and out of the fort circle as #2 (more on that later). I think it was because the circles were closer together, and the teams always wanted to push the enemy away from their circle, combined with that when the teams approached the hotspot of the map, the area between the circles after spawning, they were more or less in broadside position to the enemy, so the fighting broke out early, which (combined with the wind driving the ships away from the landmass) made the match flow much smoother IMO.

15 hours ago, kumisz said:

is a little more awkward in my opinion, as the wind points towards the fort, everyone makes a run for it (the southern team is at a disadvantage as they have some shallows between them and the fort so they have to sail around it either from the south, then spend some more time getting back around the shallows, or they have to run for the north side of the fort circle and cut off the enemy team there, which is pretty hard if the enemy is determined to take the circle too), and the wind eventually drives the teams into the landmass, or south of the landmass where only the southern team's circle is within reasonable reach, again, putting them at a disadvantage.

We dont have battleships with a gun range of 20km, we sail slow wooden warships. There is no need to spread everthing wide out.

When it is a 6v6 map then it should look like that:

AS4IhCa.png

If it is a 25v25 map it should look like that:

t69AVZP.jpg

The numbers show the spawnposition of the teams. Each team has 2 spawnpositions (The position of them is not final they should have equal distances)

In my opinion thats the only way this map design makes sense.

Maybe add a circle, which creates slowly points when captured. Otherwise ships of spawnpoint 2 may sail to the 1. position ignoring the south. The map could look like that:

tm8bZBL.jpg